Eurofighter Typhoon (UK versions) - Technical data and discussion

The radar is still decent and is carried by how strong the 27ERs are.
The mig-29 also isn’t really intended for ground pounding.

1 Like

At the very least B variant AMRAAMs would give it a fighting chance. especially given the speeds we’re likely to be launching them at.

in RB honestly it performs very well. Sim might be a different bag with the awful RWR and not great Radar set but honestly I think it’ll be fine

which is weird for me to be saying this given I said Germany was having a hard time but here we are xD

If, we assume everything is getting AMRAAM, and that would include the F-16s and Maybe F-15s that I suspect are coming this dec. Then they could create balance by giving the F-16s Aim-120Bs and then giving low performance aircraft like the Sea Harrier FA2 and Maybe Tornado F3 Aim-120C4/5s give them an AAM advantage where they lack in aircraft performance.

In an ideal world, what i’d do is not give any Gen 4 fox 3 for at least a little while. Limit Fox 3 to only Gen 3 airframes like F4F, Sea Harrier, AV-8B+, etc. So that its then SARH vs ARH which would be a degree of balance. Then when you add ARH Gen 4s like a late F-15… then you just add Typhoon. Keeps the balance

As far as I know the Sea Harrier only used the AIM-120B

Im going by the Sea harrier thread as my pool of knowledge for it:

1 Like

I suspect you may be right, although I’m hoping we don’t see an F-15 with its “Anything but stealth” killing radar for quite some time. Not that that’ll happen, but you know.

Give 16As their 120As at best, and give everyone’s subsonics 120Bs. Not only is that more accurate historically, it at least gives us some chance/possibility of outsticking someone in return

I should have added C5 is a guess based on what was available in UK inventory, I’ll amend that.

1 Like

By all accounts, Blue vixen (which is basically the same radar in the Gripen as well) is just as good as the F-15s radar in some respects.

Only difference between As and Bs is something to do with Ground crews. No difference in performance as far as I am aware

Lemme whip out my Sea Harrier bible and quickly research haha

One cursory glance later I can only confirm 120B. that said if the F.3 AOP was completed before the FA.2s OSD, then in theory…?

Ah, okay, thats fair. Though in the absence of a Gen 4. A Gen 3 with “maybe” weapons I think isnt too unreasonable of a request. German Migs never used R-27Es for example.

For france , while not a fox 3, we could get the MICA IR on the Marocan Mirage F1: the Mirage F1-CH.

2 amazing FOX2 with 60km range (so less than AIM-120B/R-77/PL-12) but amazing maneuvrabbility and seeker.
Would help to maintain the balance.

2 Likes

Definetly a possiblity. Though might need some manual tuning as a long range IR weapon could be more powerful than a ARH due to no RWR pings

absolutely. that said with all due respect to any Mirage F1 fans the airframe is a heap of garbage in wt

Wait I just mulled it over,
HOW ON EARTH DID THEY DENY IT?

There’s a F-16 with 9Ms, Helmet Cueing (so off boresight shooting), and the best kit short of AMRAAMs, how did we not get a DA.2 at least, which off the top of my head gets no 9Ms, no Helmet Cueing, and no BVR capability at all??? Sure, the radar is decent, but we can’t actually use it and I don’t even know how good ECR-90s were for the Development Typhoons. Oh, and to add to that, RB199s??? They’re hot garbage, at least on the Tornado, you get bugger all out of them in anything less than AB

I want to know what the justification is… this is just becoming ridiculous

We aren’t getting the DA2 because it’s a development aircraft that largely never fielded or tested a lot of stuff. No countermeasures etc

1 Like

there wont be DA eurofighters because gaijin refuses to add YaK-141 type of made up aircraft for GB

1 Like

Are you sure gaijin not consider Eurofighter Typhoon development aircraft (DA) from 3 countries (UK, Germany & Italy) ?

stop trying to equate the DA2 to the Yak-141, the yak-141 was a planned production aircraft planned to receive everything it has, the DA2 was a development aircraft and the production aircraft exist already with all they have.

4 Likes

But the point is though. Soviet DID NOT need a prototype vehicle. They had no hole, they had a competitive aircraft, they had everything they could possibly want and many other aircraft to call from. They did not need a prototype aircraft outfitted with “what it might have had in theory”

Britian on the other hand… What can they get. Not a lot. If we wait for a full production aircraft, we wont see the Tyhpoon till the latter half of 2025. A prototype variant, with certain limitations, which Gunjob above has a good post reasonably outlining what those limitations could be. Would be the perfect compromise to ensure we arent stuck with Gen 3s for the next year or 2.

But its not just Britain. Germany’s only remaining aircraft is the F4F ICE. Italy is probably only another F-16. After that… There really isnt much if anything left for top tier. So its either 3 nations get no aircraft for a year+ at top tier and are left with basically what they have now. Or we get a prototype Typhoon. Its that simple.

Its not Britain, Germany or Italy’s fault that their first domestically produced Gen 4 was so good that the US and Soviets will struggle against it. But that doesnt mean 3 nations have to be DOA for years.

2 Likes