Eurofighter Typhoon - Germany's Best Fighter Jet

NEZ is important as up until that point target maneuver has a massive impact on pK. If your missile can hit out to 300km but the NEZ is only 100km then the target has 200km of distance where they can trash that missile.

You will never know about this, some sources claim that the R-37M recently shot down a MiG-29 from a distance of 213 km
(Sorry if I offended anyone here)

nr1, most things russians seem to give out of the recent conflict are vastly overestimated or blatantly wrong
nr2, the god knows how old mig 29s with bad equipment

1 Like

I would like to know more about this.

I don’t doubt that possible at all, the MIG-29 is still rocking the SPO-15, its likely they didn’t even know they’d been fired on as such I doubt they’d have had made any effort to defend. Modern aircraft and even the Tornado F.3 back in 1987 can detect DL on their RWR, and take the necessary action to defend.

From the Tornado F.3 Tactics Manual and its RHWR threat table;

Spoiler

8 Likes

would have to take that to direct message because that gets to political for here

3 Likes

how many datalink targets does the eurofighter have? anybody knows?

its just simple physics
but in a nutshell:
the rocket motor doesnt burn for long. the missile kinda acts like a ballistic missile. it goes very high to reduce drag to increase range. higher altitude means lower drag due to lower air density. however, lower air density also means less maneuverability
so what that means for the missile is that if the target went outside the predicted area while its at high altitude, its effectively dead.
Meteor doesnt have that problem because its powered for longer and doesnt have to loft as high for long range.
Same goes for multi-stage missiles. they can loft and still have enough energy left at the end.
Thats why these are typically advertised to hit tankers, awacs, etc and not fighters.
now obviously you can get lucky against an oblivious target

you can clearly see this in the maneuver vs non maneuver diagrams

Given the radar has its roots in the Blue Vixen I’d expect atleast 4.

1 Like

The UK, Italy and Spain required the Eurofighter radar to have 6 data-link channels. At the time of this document (November 1993) Germany was only requesting 4 data-link channels for their Eurofighters though, and had less demanding TWS requirements (it seems they were trying to save money wherever they could).

Other UK documents suggest that the radar met our requirements, so that would be 6 channels. I imagine that all production Eurofighters ended up with the same standard of radar in the end.

6 Likes

ax78xrK_700b

2 Likes

Yep its atleast 6 if not 8 acording to this doc
and the ability to track 20

i think its going to be 8 in game just as the f15

From the recent Su-34/Patriot near miss video, even modern russian fighters dont seem to actually know when stuffs firing on them. Sounded like the ground controller/AWACS controller was the one actually giving them all the info about the situation

Where’s that from? It doesn’t really seem sure on the matter:

at least 6, if not 8, can be attacked simultaneously.

It also gives horizontal gimbal limits as +/-60°. But in fairly sure Eurofighter had +/-70° horizontal gimbal limits.

Well the over reliance on GCI for everything has always been their failing, rather than GCI enhancing SA with your RWR/LWR/Radar/IRST all adding to your SA, you get comments like this, on the subject of the SPO-15 not working well with the SLOTBACK radar;

Spoiler

This can be summed up as “I have claimed to speak to pilots, non of them confirmed what is in multiple documents as fact, but even if it didn’t work the RWR isn’t that important anyway and you can just turn it off” this speaks to the tactics they employ and the weight they put on RWR for SA. When RWR can massively increase your SA, detecting illumination, pings, active MAWS, Datalinks and Jamming. But this isn’t important information in their combat space.

It follows the yeeold;
“RWR works fine”
“RWR doesn’t work when not maintained”
“if it doesn’t work it doesn’t matter”
“GCI and Radar only matter”

Reads like “The Narcissist’s Prayer”

Completely wild take to me but I guess when your systems don’t work well you don’t depend on them.

8 Likes

yeah i was more just saying that even modern russian stuff doesnt seem to hold up, so idk why someone would be suprised a 1980 mig-29 with SPO-15 wouldnt handle being shot at with an R-37M well…

The poor guy likely didnt even know like you mentioned, just like im not sure the Su-34 pilot would have known he was being fired on by patriot had the GCI/AWACS guy warned him

I gave the video a watch, although its possible they had the warning alarm turned down or off because I’d have expected an audible alarm for illumination from a Patriot, it does come across that the pilot didn’t know until the GCI informed him.

On the subject of over reliance on GCI this interview regarding Hungarian MIG-29’s covers the subject;

3 Likes

Knowing how the radars are… it’ll go

“Radar works fine”
“Radar doesn’t work when not maintained”
“if it doesn’t work it doesn’t matter”
“GCI only matters”

And the famous boogeyman

it’s export

4 Likes

Su-34 just doesn’t have RWR, on its own it can relly only on limited jammers recognition abilities.