Does the Abrams have a spall liner? No from what I could find

So the only actual spall liner is ammo rack in turret one?
Do you have better images for how its situated inside and probably photo of it? I know the report for missing spall liners was accepted yet I dont remember ammo rack being listed anyhow in it.

The polyurethane liner is just an anti-static liner if I recall correctly, it is extremely thin and is disproportionately shown in this image. See the latter portion of my post.

A random tiktok is your source? lol, you’re speaking with someone who’s served on the tank already. Guess we’re at a stalemate.

Also, just because you served on the thing DOES NOT mean you know anything about it at all. I could tell y’all that it has vibranium. Crewman have operator level knowledge of how to utilize the vehicle and the extent to which they’re aware of the armor is;
A. Knowing the internal armor is metal because you spend countless hours resting your head on it.
B. What parts to cover up with a tarp in case of battle damage because it contains “secret armor”.

Their “word” from a tiktok is just… AWFUL sourcing. It’s also just incorrect, I watched a few minutes in and he claims it has hard kevlar backing to the composites. We know this isn’t true based on available sources… it’s actually a softer kevlar backing meant to absorb shock and prevent displacement of the ceramics as stated in the OP.

No, it’s not a spall liner. It’s a very thin layer of polyurethane that doesn’t even cover 50% of the sidewall.

It’s just there to prevent the ammo rack from grounding itself on the metal. The rounds are set off by electrical ignition (9v)… not by a firing pin. Kind of important to have that anti-static mount / layer.

Also yeah… the spall liner needs to be between the ammo compartments. Makes a lot of sense. /s

1 Like

So you just proved to yourself that my statements are correct, and you don’t know how laminate materials function against spall, fragmentation or penetrative effects, I take it that was not your goal.

Imagine my shock that a nation that has been using laminated armor arrays to stop spall and fragmentation since world war 1 to this day, happens to understand how the physics behind such interactions function, and use said knowledge in two of the listed implements the meme is directly showcasing.

You are aware that the spallshield in most ballistic glass panes is, wait for it, tempered glass, I know, that should be impossible right, after all, so many people here seem to think that spall liners can only be created out of kevlar and non hardened materials.

But wait, what about the SAPI plate, its a ceramic strike plate backed by a boron carbide plate wrapped in nylon, if they are sandwiched like that the user should be having all that energy and fragments getting transferred directly into their body going by the statements being made through this thread. Oh wait thats right, SAPI was made by actual engineers who understood how ballistics work, thats why it can stop .30-06 M2 without any deformation or spall, its why .50 M2 API going straight through it carries nothing but the bullet along with the round, because laminate armors actually work and have worked since the early 1910s at stopping fragmentation, backface deformation and spall.

Modern armies had no need to “embrace” this concept because it dates back to the first dreadnoughts in service and the spall plates that lined the interior of their their belts for this exact reason, it was already well known and nearly universally adopted, expect for a few nations, incidentally one very notable one that never seemed to realize that laminate armor arrays were usable in this respect. But then again, their navy was not known to be largely relevant to the conflict, so I guess that can slide.

Your hubris is showing my guy.

7 Likes

which would presumably also catch spall

I’d like to see how these laminates perform against HEAT, EFP, or KE penetrators of 120-125mm caliber when there is a steel plate directly behind them that is also penetrated.

No one is arguing that they can reduce spall. We are stating that there is no internal spall liner… Because there isn’t. There will always be spalling issues with the Abrams in-game for this reason.

1 Like

It doesn’t make any sense to begin with… Even then, any liner inside the armor profile isn’t a “spall liner” by its very nature as an insert.
The entire point of a spall liner is to be the very last layer and prevent any material behind it from spalling and entering the fighting compartment.

That is entirely useless if there is still more material behind the liner.

What next, are car windshields bulletproof because they use plexiglass to hold structure? No? It’s only that bulletproof glass uses a very specific combination of materials in a very specific way, and that the existence of plexiglass in a modern windshield does not inherently equate it to an entirely different use?

it dose have a spall liner you just cant see it in the tank IRL i heard from a lot of tanker that it dose and why wouldnt it have one

Funny bug report, even when given direct images and dozens of backed claims as to the M1A2 SEP not having spall liners, they go “b-but I don’t believe it, so it isn’t true!!1!”

So… You refuse to acknowledge any side but yours in a debate?
Is that what I’m getting from this?

Refer to:

1 Like

He isn’t, he responded as to why he didn’t need a source to disprove what doesn’t exist, and you respond with…

Pretty clear you can’t read.

Even after he responds with:

…Your only response is

He has no reason to substantiate something without the burden of proof. If you want spall liners, prove there are spall liners.

Would you like to provide documentation saying that the Abrams didn’t mount a 25mm chain gun? If not, “don’t throw a hissy fit”.

There are more service members coming out directly and saying that there is no internal spall liner than people saying “but my friend who knows a tanker says there is!”

Why would the crew wear IBA/CVCs if there was a spall liner? Every other nation’s tanker kits include inflammable clothing with nomex… Everything they wear, from Britain, to Sweden, to Germany, and to Russia, include padded protection against bumps and bruises, not body armor for spall.

1 Like

Because the US military equips it’s tank crews for combat both inside and outside the vehicle, why do you think the average US Army tank crew has enough hand held ordinance to equip a 6 man infantry squad including weapons to, breach doors, destroy light armor, engage aircraft, provide indirect fire, and suppress targets with squad automatic weapons.

To that same end the standard equipment of a US tanker is not at all designed to counter spall or penetrations in the vehicle, the standard vest you are going to find on every single US Army tanker is a cut down IOTV, the standard ballistic vest of every single US Army serviceman, the only difference is the lack of the crotch flap and shoulder protectors. The IOTV was not designed for tank crews, instead, it was designed to equip the entire US Army, which it currently does. To that same end the CVC is rated to the same level as every other NIJ IIIA helmet, like the ACH and ECH, that being to defeat, .357 and 9mm rounds. Yes the CVC was designed to interface with tank systems, however, it’s protection level, in US service, is identical to that of the standard service helmets of every other serviceman of the time of it’s introduction, it’s design was not made to deal with vehicle spall, much akin to the IOTV, it was made to allow the same level of protection the foot infantry had to the crews of US armor, both inside their vehicles and when dismounted.

It turns out that the US find standardizing personal body armor capabilities to be a mainstay within their branches and fields of operation. The US tanker, by equipment, is a infantryman first and a tanker second, if you outright removed the CVC of a US tanker and swapped it with a ACH, you would have your average Gulf War US Army rifleman.

3 Likes

That’s why we have a spall vest for inside the vehicle and IOTV with plates for outside the vehicle. The entire uniform we wear for both settings is entirely different, and we carry both on the tank at all times.

Spall vest for inside the vehicle - full kit for outside the vehicle.

1 Like

just because the tech is being developed for a scrapped vehicle its doesnt mean the tech itself gets scrapped, most modern vehicles are built off dead programs

1 Like

the integrated spall liner wouldnt be visible

1 Like

why do you need a picture? you do realize thats ALOT to ask? there is already more than enough evidence of there being one. you’re literally asking about a picture of a vital surivivability measure of the CURRENTLY IN SERVICE tank of the most powerful nation of the planet. if thats not stupid i dont know what is

Nor would an integrated spall liner stop spalling caused by the 100mm thick steel plate between the array and the turret. Spalling gonna happen regardless without some kind of internal liner.

It’s rhetorical question more or less. I have served on them, there is no useful spall liner… certainly no internal one. The OP shows this quite well.

The hundreds of pictures, books, sources that show there is no spall liner on the interior of the tank are sufficient. Gaijin is aware it has no spall liner there… and so it will not get one. Period.

1 Like

I’m MiG_23M. I play war thunder.

I did

you mean the very few publically available pictures of a classified piece of equoipment dont show said classified piece of equipment? how weird how bizarre how strange. use your brain for gods sake

1 Like

If that’s what you think, feel free.
The devs / tech mods are very aware that there is no internal spall liner. Thanks for your input.

and why is that relevant in any way shape or form? those same devs/tech mods have shown to be extremely unreliable already.

1 Like