China Norinco VT series MBTs, History, Performance & Discussion

Anything really, there is no one way to make a spall liner, but typically they are a softer material like Kevlar, plated around the interior of the crew compartment. Some make it more obvious than others. In war thunder tho I think they are all treated more or less the same, which is probably for the best as it would take a lot of time to get into exacts for each and every tank

1 Like

If it’s ok with you, I’m gonna make a quick bug report for the MBT-2000, can you give me the sources for these photos?
edit: nvm just used google lens so all good

for Clarification, the pictures you have are of the VT-4, not the MBT-2000

There is already an acknowledged bug report for VT-4 spall liner. May you can try to ask a tech mod to add the photos as additional evidence to the report.
VT4 missing spall liners // Gaijin.net // Issues

3 Likes

How would i get in contact with a tech mod?

1 Like

Abrams has spall liner integrated into it’s armor if I’m not mistaken. It seems like most tanks from east use a separate layer of spall liner in their tanks.

It’s integrated into the structure which makes it all the more difficult in trying to prove to Gaijin that it exists because there’s data saying it’s there, but no unclassified imagery showing the layout of it or how it’s incorporated into the armor (to my knowledge or that they would deem as “credible”). Spall Liners have been in use since the M60’s.

1 Like

ill make a separate bug report regardless, as the current bug report failed to mention any details, and my evidence thanks to @Miraz05 is much clearer

Yeah looks like I was wrong. Btw this is the actual interior of MBT-2000

3 Likes

before i make the report, ill post the two images im going to use for it.
VT-4Spall1
VT-4Spall2
link: THAIDEFENSE-NEWS: รถถังหลัก VT4 (MBT 3000)

2 Likes

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/zcr7uduf6K3I
report created, hopefully they accept it as new material!

3 Likes

Seems like they have added your pictures to the other bug report

5 Likes

Does anyone know if the ERA hidden inside the turret should actually be broken down into many pieces like the above diagram instead of just four large pieces in the turret front currently? Or is this just an option to install even more ERA outside the turret armor?

Also, since LFP and side ERA option has been rejected in bug reports, I am trying to write a suggestion to add them. Does anyone know what is the source of the picture?

Image from NORINCO 2017 Tank Armored Vehicle Brochure

2 Likes

Having a source won’t make a difference. The issue is that this modification has yet to be physically made, and as such the Devs don’t feel the need to add it right now, and justify it because it technically doesn’t exist.

Our only hope for this is to be used or added as a future variant of the VT-4, so it would be best to just make a suggestion for it

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/x2838dkUbDUL
Screenshot_20231225-232850-014
Im sorry but this response makes no sense when you consider all the Russian tanks that have highly detailed ERA. This not only puts the VT-4 at a disadvantage, it just seems to show a blatant doubt standard for modeling between Russian ERA and Chinese ERA. Even Western ERA gets more detail than this, so I just don’t except this response as an excuse to keep the Chinese ERA in large clusters. Can someone please make another post about this? This just doesn’t seem right

9 Likes

Sounds like it was a balance decision rather than any technical or logical limitations. Most of the Chinese tanks actually had individual ERA blocks modeled while Russian ones were grouped. It helps balance that because of how tiny Russian ERA is and only 1 block exploding only reveals a small area; and most of the times the area the ERA covers cannot be reliably penned anyways for the tanks it sees at their BR. HOWEVER, with the case of MBT-2000 and VT-4A1 the logic isn’t the same. The areas the ERA covers is quite large for each block. Additionally the areas the ERA cover can easily be penned without the ERA.

Your best bet is to try and appeal with this change as a suggestion post on the forum but I would give that a non-zero (but very close to) chance of actually happening… Afterall it’s been 2 years since the ZLT-11 bug report on incorrect transmission reverse speed was passed to the devs and they haven’t touched it…

6 Likes

I think we should at least continue to write bug report about the turret front ERA. According to Thai manual, there should be four ERA plates per side but in game there is only one huge V-shaped ERA which is quite unacceptable in my opinion.

4 Likes

Yeah the turret ERA is probably the big one worth fighting for tbh

Yeah I’m not gonna go out of my way to waste time and energy on that front, especially when I consider how most of the time it won’t really affect my gameplay. I will however still try and bring attention to the reload rate of the VT-4, and for Spall liners for both the ZTZ-99A and VT-4.

However, I can’t do this alone, and I really wish there were more people to help get gajjins attention (in a professional way). In particular, while I myself am not Chinese, I whish there were more people from the Chinese community who went out of there way to express support for these changes like players did for the Abrams.

Some time this week I’m going to try and see if the devs are even going to make mention of Chinese spall liners at all.

9 Likes

Bruhhhh

4 Likes