Here’s some ideas that are better still and not stacked against CAS purely because of salt toward being bombed.
- Remove the kill cam, or move its footage to after the match ends.
Revenge bombing is the source of much of the CAS hate. Until its at least made less prevalent, most people can’t (or rather, won’t) calm down and look at things rationally.
- Forced airfield spawn for all planes, only ones which physically can’t take off spawn at low altitude behind the runway.
Also reduces frequency of revenge bombing by adding more time for the tank to move.
- Remove the zone cap messages which function as “please bomb me” notifications to the enemy team.
Cessation of ticket bleed and colored icons starting to blink as they change color is enough, isn’t it?
- Remove the close-range helicopter pad, merge the farther helicopter pad with the plane runway complex so a helicopter can land anywhere on the plane runway to rearm.
Helicopters have little to no defense against being vulched on spawn by enemy helicopters or even planes. Their AAA can’t be made effective again without causing massive headaches elsewhere like it did before. No heli with long range missiles should be able to hover over their base and hit tanks nearly 7km away in total impunity.
- Give everyone default planes in their lineups like Combined Naval already does. Everyone would have a BR-appropriate Fighter, CAS (with preset unoptimized loadout), and possibly also SPAAG/SAM (with preset ammo loadout, also unoptimized).
Half of the CAS problem is the player opinion that they’re defenseless. Part of solving that should be ensuring nobody can enter into a match any longer being truly defenseless, be it through inexperience or willful ignorance. Give people the tools, and most will eventually shut up and learn to use them.
- Use Simulator’s SP system in RB
RB has a terrible snowballing problem, CAS amplifies that snowball rate. Sim instead gives everyone 1000SP at match start and no ability to earn more. Spawn what you want, when you’re out, you’re out. Exact values of certain weapon loadouts or vehicle classes would still need adjusting, but the bottom line is that the best CAS would be so costly that you’d probably only have enough to use one decent tank if you die in said CAS. This also means that neither team is vulnerable to “cap & fly” nonsense either, since both can go spawn fighters early game just as much as they can CAS. A fighter will pretty much always swat down CAS. Again, give people the means to help themselves, and most of them will eventually go learn to use those means.
- Giving non-radar SPAA a short range lead marker out to 1.5km max with an aced crew.
Average joes still don’t know how to use AA correctly and never will it seems. This shows them where and more importantly when to shoot.
- Undoing SAM controllability nerfs, fixing Stingers & Starstreaks
We need ground-to-air counters that actually work, not just the Strela and Pantsir.
- Undoing the lower-ranking SPAAG anti-tank belt composition nerfs, removing tiny shell count limits on higher tier SPAAG AP(FS)DS rounds, and adding missing anti-tank rounds to applicable SPAAG - APCR for the Ostwind, Ostwind II, and Coelian, APDS for the R3, APCR for the Chinese ZSU-57/2, APDS for the M42 Dusters, AMX-13 DCA, Lvkv 42, York, and Swedish York.
Most average players cower in their own spawn with AA, being utterly useless to their team against CAS and setting themselves up to be strafed dead. Restoring former tank-killing prowess among AA will encourage people to actually move outside of their own spawns, because even with the above SP changes an AA is still far more likely to run into a tank than a plane. Low-ranking truck AA do not need such new rounds even if they probably could technically use them.
- Make current caps function as spawns for the team controlling them, and current spawns now also double as caps, removing spawn redzoning.
The maps are constrained by the time spent driving back to the front after first death. Average people are clearly too impatient, and that’s not going to change. Obviously this idea has some challenges to consider, such as the same guy spawning on top of a cap 5 times to defend the cap with a wall of his own bodies preventing its capture (versions of this are seen in Naval EC which this idea is based on), but now people can spawn much closer to the front after first death. This reduces spawn camping, allows actual encirclement of enemy teams by opening current rear spawn points to being captured, and allows much larger maps without adding meaningless “alt tab into YouTube on CC” time.
- Surround those new fused objectives with some AI defenses. Bunkers, MG nests, possibly AI Tanks or TDs. They would bleed ticket chunks when killed like player kills do, and only after they’re all cleared out can a zone begin being captured.
These would act as new and important targets for CAS to focus on to help their team. Every piece of ordinance spent on an NPC target is one less on a player tank who would uncontrollably scream bloody murder on the forums. CAS in real life had many more important things to do than directly hit tanks, but ingame it has nothing else to do.
- Make the artillery units tanks use for support actual map targets worth tickets. These would ideally use player tank models and not be carelessly easy kills, possibly guarded by SPAA (which could be AI or even an alternative place for player SPAA to spawn).
This gives CAS another important target to go after that can’t scream on the forums, enables the game to add machines which would make no sense for players to be able to control (various artillery incapable of direct fire), enables giving different nations unique artillery strikes to call in which vary in number of shells depending on caliber, and limits artillery spam potential so 10 players can’t all call it on the same spot like can happen now. Artillery killed more tanks in reality than CAS did, and it should be much more deadly. I would be in favor of removing the red warning message for incoming arty as well, but instead make the noise of it firing more audible.
Now, the main things that needlessly anger people are dealt with, CAS is no longer an inherently unbalanced powerup, the counters work, and both CAS and tanks have new objectives to do to get diehard CAS fanatics and TO fanatics off each others’ throats.