BT-2, a balanced reserve tank

other problem other issues. there is another solution for them. it does not change the fact the BT-5 is underrated. amounts of all reserve guns, the 45mm 20-K is by far the strongest. it penetrates more than almost every other gun with an APHE while the other use solid shots and often even have to go with subcaliber or APCR to match the penetration. we are also comparing the 45mm with 40 and 37mm. the 47mm is dealing a lot more post-penetration damage to start with. it’s closer to 47mm than 37mm in terms of performance. it penetrates more and deals a lot more damage than the French 47mm SA35 it is the first real good gun you find in the French low rank and do not get it before 1.3. you can’t tell me it’s balanced after that. the M8 LAC has only a solid shot and is also underrated to start with. the A13 is not as mobile as it seems on paper. and the gun also deals a lot less damage and penetrates less than the 45mm.

Therefore I conclude those arguments are invalid from the start.

on this, I can’t agree. I think they are even a bit too low BR. if the BT-5 and BT-7 was 1.7 and the BT-7M was 2.0 it would still be pretty good

4 Likes

Statistics aren’t everything. Just look at some of the minor nation’s vehicles BRs, raised by a lot because they were used by better, more experienced players.
The Soviet tree doesn’t suffer from that.

4 Likes

Yeah I’d rather see the Light Mark VI with 15mm BESA and the Medium Mk II and III at Reserve, with the Tetrarch and Daimler doing recce work at Rank II.

2 Likes

the light 15mm and medium mk.III would work. but I have doubts about the Medium Mk.II.
this tank is too slow, sluggish, and under-protected to be a good reserve in the current game’s balance.

Where did you find that “37mm M-160” APHE shell? AFAIK the soviet 37mm guns only used B-167 0.76kg solid shot.

Nvrmd, found it: “А.Широкорад “Энциклопедия отечественной артиллерии”, 2000
Энциклопедия вооружений Ким”

and it’s correct nomenclature is “B-160”

1 Like

Before the penetration formula has been introduced, this gun overperformed as well, because Gaijin, by accident, I’m sure, gave it penetration values of the soviet 45mm L/66 gun with 870m/s muzzle velocity. This was never fixed.

Good news, the MG is able to turn parallel to the 37mm.

2nd BT in the photo.

2 Likes

it even seems to be capable of getting a few degrees beyond the 37 mm line
it can work as a coaxial and will look only annoying in the hangar and the first 1 second after you spawn.
the fact it has an independent ball mount will allow it to be faster to aim when the turret turns. it will be useful to track very fast vehicles such as the Sd.kfz 221 or aircraft

2 Likes

One can use the DeMarre formula (real DeMarre formula, not Gaijin’s version) to estimate the striking velocities from penetration data, which is what I did here:

This is very odd. Extrapolating from this to 0 meters distance, the muzzle velocity would be about 780-785m/s and not 820m/s.
So, take this data with a grain of salt.

Edit: found an actual velocity table for this gun:

3 Likes

Appart from the current ridiculous 37mm APHE damage that outperforms 50mm APHE 😄
Some Biased Devs must have cranked up the damage slider for the German 37m to max.

I mean, the gun is basically a earlyer model of the 3,7 cm Pak development. And using lighter shells resulting in higher velocity, which is in line with the 3,7 cm Pak L/45 He shells which are 780 m/s.

1 Like

Now that you mention it, the values obtained from reverse DeMarre show an unnaturally low drag, much closer to that of large caliber HE shells with ~10 CHR nose than that of an AP or APBC.
Do you have firing tables for the german 3.7cmHE shell from Pak 36 gun?

2 Likes

We have penetration/velocity tables and penetration/range tables :3

Spoiler

Oh you were talking about HE 🤔

1 Like

I have this: For the 37mm FlaK 18/36 firing the Sprenggrante 18, the 3.7cm Kopfzünder Zerleger detonates the shell after 6-9s corresponding to 2550-3300m.
I think the muzzle velocity is 820-830m/s.

Here’s something for the Soviet M1939 37mm AA gun:

Looks a bit more aerodynamic then the German shell. Also a 735g shell vs. 632g and 880m/s vs. 820-830m/s.

1 Like