BMP-1AM Basurmanin - The continued legacy

Would you like to see the BMP-1AM added to war thunder?
  • Yes, I think this vehicle would be worth adding at some point
  • Maybe it could be added at some point
  • Unsure
  • I don’t think the BMP-1AM needs to be added to the game
0 voters

BMP-1AM Basurmanin - The continued legacy

Image.png

Background & History

Image.png

The BMP-1AM Basurmanin is a modernized variant of the Soviet BMP-1 IFV which was officially revealed in 2018, this BMP variant was a major modernization for remaining the BMP-1’s which remained in the Russian federation, the modernization itself sought to upgrade the old and obsolete BMP-1 variants which remained, this modernization saw a major change in the ability of the BMP-1 as while the hull remained fairly unchanged with the only real major modification internally was the change in the engine to the UTD-20S1 from the BMP-2 as well as having a new radio system installed, but the turret of the vehicle had significantly changed as the older turret was completely removed and instead the vehicle had the turret of the BTR-82A giving the vehicle a 30mm autocannon and a coaxial 7.62mm machine gun in a remotely controlled turret with the gunner in the hull rather than in the turret as the original BMP-1.

Image.png

Since the hull really didn’t see much change I won’t go through mentioning it, instead we will focus on the change in armament with the new turret. In receiving the new turret the vehicle received the 30mm 2A72 autocannon capable of using 3UOF8 HE-I, 3UBR6 AP, and 3UBR8 APDS rounds with the gun having a fire rate between 350 to 400 rounds per minute, additionally the turret comes with 1 Kalashnikov PKTM 7.62mm machine gun, it is also equipped with 6 81mm 902V Tucha smoke grenade launchers. The vehicle itself still carries ATGM’s in the form of the 9K115 Metis ATGM however these are only stored in the hull as the turret is not equipped to mount and fire them, they are instead intended for use by the infantry the vehicle has embarked. The turret itself uses a two pane stabilizer for the armament with the gun having elevation angles from -5 to +70 degrees of gun elevation, the gunner is equipped with the TKN-4GA combined day-night sighting system which is also equipped on the turret with the BTR-82A though no difference is stated on the elevation and horizontal traverse speeds, the vehicle itself retains its total capacity for crew with 3 for operation the vehicle and 8 in the form of troops stored at the rear, despite the increase in weight the vehicle retains the ability for flotation with the use of displacement wings.

Image.png

The vehicle itself was revealed to the public in 2018 and was given the name Basurmanin or roughly translated to pagan, this name lead many to believe that the new BMP-1AM was designed for export rather than domestic use as the Russian Federation’s BMP-1’s were fading from service in favor of newer infantry fighting vehicles such as the BMP-2, BMP-3, and planned Kurganets-25 however in 2019 it was confirmed that they were intended for both as it was announced their were plans that year to modernized 400 vehicles which would see more T-72B3, T-80BVM, T-90M, and BMP-1AM armored vehicles which served as the confirmation however the BMP-1AM would at least show up in 2 expos, one in 2019 and another in 2020 showing the vehicle is intended for both domestic use and for possible export, the number of vehicles produced is not fully clear however it is known at least 37 vehicles have been modernized to BMP-1AM standards, however by they have been introduced into Russian service. Another thing to note is that a similar modernization has taken place for the BRM-1K which was modernized upon similar lines to the BMP-1AM however their have been very few modernized BRM-1K’s made so far and they don’t appear to go by an new name which is why that vehicle is referenced as the “upgraded BRM-1K” rather than having a new designation.

Image.png

More images

Spoiler

Image.png

Image.png

Image.png

Image.png

Image.png

Image.png

Image.png

Image.png

Image.png

Specifications

*I will not include all specs of the vehicle since the hull has little modification over the original hull, so I won’t include things such as dimensions, armor, and speed

Weight: 14.2 tons

Engine: UTD-20S1 6-cylinder 4-stroke V-shaped airless-injection water-cooled diesel (300 hp at 2,600 rpm)

Radio: R-128-25U-2 radio

Crew capacity: 3 + 8 (Driver, commander, and gunner + embarked infantry)

Gunners sight: TKN-4GA-01 combined day-night sighting system

Armament:

Primary Armament:

1 x 30mm 2A72 autocannon (350 to 400 rpm)

Gun elevation: -5/+70 degrees

• Ammunition

3UOF8 HE-I

3UBR6 AP

3UBR8 APDS

Secondary armament:

1 x 7.62mm PKTM machine gun

ATGM’s:

4 x 9K115 Metis ATGM (only usable by infantry so not practical for vehicle in-game)*

Smoke grenade launchers:

6 x 81mm 902V Tucha smoke grenade launchers

Sources

Spoiler

ВПК НОВОСТИ, ИСТОРИЯ ОРУЖИЯ, ВОЕННАЯ ТЕХНИКА, БАСТИОН, ВОЕННО-ТЕХНИЧЕСКИЙ СБОРНИК. BASTION, MILITARY-TECHNICAL COLLECTION. MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX NEWS, HISTORY OF WEAPONS, MILITARY EQUIPMENT

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/bmp-1am/

BMP-1 - Wikipedia

Image Sources

Spoiler

ВПК НОВОСТИ, ИСТОРИЯ ОРУЖИЯ, ВОЕННАЯ ТЕХНИКА, БАСТИОН, ВОЕННО-ТЕХНИЧЕСКИЙ СБОРНИК. BASTION, MILITARY-TECHNICAL COLLECTION. MILITARY-INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX NEWS, HISTORY OF WEAPONS, MILITARY EQUIPMENT

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/bmp-1am/