Bernardini MB-3 Tamoyo 1 - The attempt to create a Brazilian tank

Would you like this vehicle to be added?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
How would you like to see this vehicle available?
  • Tech Tree
  • GE /Premium/ Battlepass
  • No
0 voters
Where should it be?
  • USA Tech-Tree
  • France Tech-Tree
  • Latin american Tech-Tree
  • Italian Tech-Tree
  • i voted no
0 voters

Bernardini MB-3 Tamoyo 1

The vehicle’s history:

Spoiler

The MB-3 Tamoyo I was a medium tank developed by the Brazilian company Bernardini (the same one behind the X1, X1A1, X1A2 and M41C programs) and the Brazilian Armed Forces (more specifically the Centro de Pesquisa e Desenvolvimento de Blindados (CPDB)), during the late 1970s the army wanted a new MBT and for such thing, they gave Bernadini the task to build a tank based on ambitious initial requirements from the army, however due to the lack of proper funding and the reason that the vehicle was effectively underpowered from the get go due to the army requirements the vehicle simply became an improved version of the M41 Walker Bulldog.

The vehicle was eventually overshadowed by the Engesa EE-T1 Osório, a tank that was made for export but due to the fact that it had more advanced features, capabilities and was also made by a known national company the Brazilian army was more invested in it compared to the MB-3 Tamoyo I, in the end neither vehicles were chosen as the main army MBT.

characteristics

Spoiler

The MB-3 Tamoyo I is a Medium Tank, it weighed 28 tons (empty) and 30 tons (combat-loaded), it had a 6.06 meters long hull, 2.6 meters wide and 2.45 meters tall. It had a crew of four (driver, gunner, commander and loader), also it stowed 21 rounds (in the turret) and an additional rounds 30 (in the hull), for a total of 51 rounds of 90 mm ammunition.## Tamoyo 1 in Detail

Crew Turret Positions:

Spoiler

Here we can see the crew positions, were the commander is located in turret middle right, the gunner in the turret front right, in front of the commander and loader in the turret middle left.

Armament/Firepower:

Spoiler

The MB-3 Tamoyo I was armed with an unstabilized Brazilian made copy of the French GIAT CS Super 90 F4 gun that they called it ‘Can 90mm 76/90M32 BR3’. The gun had a depression of -6 degrees and elevation of 18 degrees, it had a recoil stroke of 550 mm, as secondary armament it used a .50 coaxial heavy machine gun and was armed with a roof-mounted .30 for the commander (with 500 and 3000 rounds).

Ammunition:

Spoiler

Ammunition Compartments:

Turret

11 rounds in the turret

Spoiler

10 rounds in the turret basket

Spoiler

Hull:

30 rounds in the hull storage located in the left side of the driver

Spoiler

Armor/Protection:

Hull:

Spoiler

Turret:

• Front: 40 mm at 45/60/67 degrees
  • Gun Mantlet: 50 mm at 45 degrees
  • Sides: 25 mm at 45 degrees
  • Rear: 25 mm at 0 degrees
  • Top: 20 mm at 90 degrees

Hull:

• Top: 12 mm at 90 degrees
  • Front (Upper Glacis): 40 mm at 65-70 degrees
  • Front (Lower Glacis): 40 mm at 45 degrees
  • Sides: 19 mm at 0 degrees
  • Rear: 25 mm
  • Floor: 20~25 mm
    Top: 12 mm at 90 degrees

Better visualization of the MB-3 Tamoyo I armor:

Spoiler

Mobility:

Spoiler

The MB-3 Tamoyo 1 was powered by a Scania DSI-14 turbocharged V8 500 hp diesel engine. The engine produced 500 hp and 1700 Nm (1250 ft-lbs) at 2100 rpm with the vehicle receiving a horsepower per ton ratio of 16.6 hp/ton, giving the vehicle a top speed of 67 km/h on-roads and an on-road operational range of 550 kilometers.

Transmission:

Spoiler

The Tamoyo 1 used the General Motors CD-500 cross-drive transmission, which had 2 gears forward and 1 for reverse.

MB-3 Tamoyo I Technical Sheet:

Spoiler

Dimensions:

• Length (including the gun): 6.06 meters
  • Width: 2.6 meters
  • Height: 2.45 meters
  • Total Weight (empty): 28 Tons
  • Total Weight (combat-loaded): 30 Tons

Crew: 4 (Driver, Commander, Gunner, and Loader)

Firepower:

• Main Armament: Brazilian-made copy of the French GIAT CS Super 90 F4 gun (known as ‘Can 90mm 76/90M32 BR3’)
  • Secondary Armament: Coaxial .50 machine gun and a .30 anti-air
  • Gun stabilization: No

Mobility:

• Engine: Scania Vabis DSI-14 turbocharged V8 500 hp diesel engine
  • Transmission: Allison CD-500 transmission
  • Suspension: Torsion Bar
  • Ground pressure: 0.72 kg/cm2
  • Vertical slope: 0.71 meters
  • Ground clearance: 0.5 meters
  • Slope: 31 degrees
  • Side Slope: 17 degrees
  • Trench cross: The vehicle could cross a trench of 2.4 meters
  • Maximum speed on-road: 67 km/h
  • Operational Range: 550 km
  • Potency (Combat): 16.6 HP/Ton
  • Potency (Empty): 17.8 HP/Ton

Gallery:

Spoiler

Sources:

Spoiler

Bernardini MB-3 Tamoyo: o blindado nacional – Expedito Carlos Stephani

Darren Hazes Article - https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/tamoyo-1/

TECNOLOGIA MILITAR BRASILEIRA LIVRO - Modern War Collection, Published by Nova Cultural in 1987

MB-3 Tamoyo I official Bernardini vídeo (shall be noted that Bernardini liked to mix information from other Tamoyos in this video like potency and other data): https://youtu.be/uD6xbF-S7bI

6 Likes

Amazing vehicle, would be a good addition to the game

2 Likes

Woohoo! Love the Tamoyo. +1 for LatAm

3 Likes

The Tamoyo I looks so nice! It’s 90mm cannon would be very cool to operate in the game, hope they add all the Tamoyo Variants soon. +1

2 Likes

+1 to all bernardini vehicles as brazil subtree for italy

1 Like

more images:

Spoiler

with laser range finder:

Spoiler

janes

Spoiler

photo_2023-10-06_16-58-52
photo_2023-10-06_16-59-00

3 Likes

+1 for future latin american tree

3 Likes

Isn’t it better to make separate suggestion for Tamoyo 1 TI-2/P2 as it is different than other four Tamoyo 1 prototypes ? It would be nice premium contender for Brazil. Regardless, +1 for all Tamoyos.

1 Like

certainly, but some sources claim it to be the Tamoyo 2 and others claim it to be the Tamoyo 1 with this equipment. A Dutch friend will be able to clear up all doubts when he interviews the former owner of Bernardini.

or event or premium vehicle in the French tree together with the two Osório models

1 Like