Aim-120 / aim-9m

Continuing the discussion from Missiles Needed to Counter Russia (Poll):

Which Missile Additions Would Make the for Most Balanced Counter to the MiG-29SMT?

• AIM-9M & AIM-120
  • Only AIM-9M
  • Only AIM-120
  • No Change Needed

0 voters

Following up from the previous poll I would like to gauge the opinions on just the two most voted options.

It would be nice in future if Gaijin created discussions like this themselves to better involve the community in their thought process and hopefully avoid the situation we’re in now where the player base is frantically reacting to the decisions made.

Edit: Flagged as spam.

9 Likes

I think that having both a really flare resistant Fox-2 and a standoff-capable fox-3 would be a bit too powerful currently

7 Likes

Same. I think only AIM-120A/B would be enough to counter R-73 and R-27ER/ET

4 Likes

The AIM-120 did better than I expected in the original poll, I was curious as to if those were people who voted in and the AIM-9M or if people voted for it instead of the AIM-9M.

1 Like

Depends on the jet. Subsonic like SHar FA2 needs both, supersonics like the F16 just AMRAAM

1 Like

I vote for AIM-9M and early AMRAAM
Brits and Sweden can also benefit and still keep up with new F-16C and MiG 29 SMT
Tornado F.3 can use AIM-9 L/I (on par with M but can use M as place holder) and AMRAAM
JA-37D can use AMRAAM

2 Likes

Early AMRAAM gets dunked on kinematically by R27E variants, both in maximum range and time to target

2 Likes

Even if Gaijin adds the AIM-120B, iirc the R-27ER would kinetically still be superior - Either way, the AIM-7F/M and SkyFlash SuperTEMP are no equivalent to the R-27ER/ET in range nor usability.
Mike said on Stream that the R-73 gets a reduced flare resistance for balance, same can be done with the AIM-9M (which would be a 9L with slightly more resistance and few more Gs anyway, nothing too crazy).

4 Likes

and that why being Fire and forget coming to play sure ER still have range and speed as advantage
AMRAAM also have it own advantage that should be enough to counter each other (A/B are enough don’t need to be C)

2 Likes

Technically the AMRAAM A can still be notched easier than the radar of an F-16 guiding a Sparrow but unless the R27ER is fired within the MAR of the enemy aircraft, you will most likely die to the AMRAAM

4 Likes

well, that going to depend on who can use their weapons more effective case but as long as they can both counter each other not inferior to their same era of enemy it’s fine they just need to learn how to counter each other more effective. that is balance

2 Likes

For real,… making several threads like this ain’t going to help in anyways,…

1 Like

At 60km, 10km alt, 1200kph, @MiG_23M 's model has the R27ER hitting in 52 seconds vs AMRAAM’s 79, giving 27 seconds for the ER slinger to go evasive and either dodge the pitbull or notch the missile

3 Likes

Yeah exactly. However the aircraft that launched the AMRAAM can try to turn away and outrun the 27ER and risk missile losing track

1 Like

This is true, Idk how to do the math for that tho

1 Like

But with new RWR you will know if enemy launched a missile at you

2 Likes

Made these in paint but did the math on the angles and distances involved:

This is what an R-73 sees from 2km

And this is what an AIM-9L sees at 2km

3 Likes

AMRAAM can technically go pitbul reliably at ~10-15km so it could be a close call however at a launch from such far distance, if anyone dives they will outdrag the missile (Low alt air is too thick and missiles will lose a lot of range)

R27ER average speed of 2954 KPH, so assuming the AMRAAM slinger instantly stops moving, it will take (VERY roughly) 73 seconds to hit the target.

1 Like

Altitute makes a huge difference