WT Halftracks: a detailed suggestion.

Half tracks for WT?   

127 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see half tracks added for all nations?

War thunder ground forces

Half Tracks

For long term consideration

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-801-0664-37,_Berl

Afternoon chaps

This post is a look at some of the Half Tracks that could one day appear in war thunder, I decided to delve into the Half Tracks as they played a major role in WW2, were used on every front and carried out a huge range of roles. Secondly its “Ground forces” which leaves a lot of opening for interpretation and as WG have never managed to get it right it leaves a good opening for Gaijin to steal their thunder...again.

Would they be any good?

Most certainly, while WG might have done to muddy the waters of history, great numbers of Halftracks were built by all sides to fill a variety of roles in WW2 and the Cold War. From hauling guns to carrying ammo which was the logical choice, thought too AA duties and tank busting with large calibre guns; their low cost and maintenance makes Halftracks very useful, while their armoured bodies and good traction allows them to go off road in harsh terrain.

There is also the marketing aspect, there are many, many owners, collectors, and enthusiasts out there that prefer these to tanks and including them in the game would open up new gaming revenue for those fans, as well as beat popular Belarussian companies who state they can’t get this aspect to work. 

Half-tracks also opens up new tactical options in the game, their adaptability and firepower can easily get the better of slower heavier vehicles or hunt down and finish of weak or damaged tanks while being balanced for game play. They are faster than tanks and many light tanks, but slower than armoured cars, the major advantage of the halftrack is variety of weapons. They could fit everything from artillery to AA, from flamethrowers to rockets; there is almost no role they can’t fill.

If  the armoured car is the ears and eyes of the ground units then the halftrack is easily the most versatile support model.

Pros:

Reasonably fast and agile, 

Can have huge selection of weapons allowing them to fulfil a variety of roles to suit every play style

Cheaper to maintain and repair thank tanks.

New tactical options.

Better hard ground speeds than Tanks. Better of road traction than armoured cars

Able to support tanks with a variety of weapons not commonly available 

Cons:

Very poor armour,

Poor traction in thick mud compared to tanks

Requires more skill than tanks.

Roles in WT

The Halftrack in WT is used as versatile support player in your team that can be summoned up to fulfil almost any role, I would suggest the best way of doing this is to base the cost of purchase and upgrades on the weapons as opposed to the chassis, many halftracks wont survive for very long against tank fire, and this is not their primary role, they should be used as support vehicle able to bring a variety of weapons to play that can alter or change a game based on their upgrades. So the hull unlike tanks or aircraft is fairly cheap to maintain and but, but the weapons and modules are the part one grinds for. many halftracks carried large guns (the 88mm for example was mounted on a halftrack 2 years before they could mount it on a tank) or powerful rockets and these weapons would typically be a tier lower than you would find a similar weapon on a tank. 

When upgrading the halftrack its the weapons and targeting etc one upgrades as opposed to the hull and engines, better rockets, larger ammo belts etc. this is of course only an idea but the easiest for Gaijin to implement on the current system.

So lets have a look at some of these weapons, what i've done is calculate the vehicles tier based on the weapon not the chassis, and its impact it would have on the game, here ive included the Germans as an example, but every nations had great examples and vehicles. 

8462188994_716e5e4994_c.jpg

Germany 

Half Tracks I-V

The Wehrmacht embraced the mobile warfare concept better than many nations, and build a huge number of half tracks to fulfil every role possible, they were essential in the early Russian campaign in getting though the mud, and used to deadly effect until the end of the war, wielding a variety of weapons the German halftrack say service on all fronts. here is just a selection of those available. I wont go into detail on model and build as there is plenty of info out there.

Tier1

[spoiler]

12069875493_66a3da358d_c.jpg

Tier 1 vehicles have weapons such as the 20mm auto cannon or 28mm AT gun.

[/spoiler]

Tier II

[spoiler]

12070667504_794d256278_c.jpg

Tier II we see 81mm Mortars with HE or Smoke, or the Drilling variant with 3 x MG151's, a 37mm AA or the PaK-38 50mm AT gun

[/spoiler]

Tier III

[spoiler]

12070061013_bb20d5e874_c.jpg

Tier III we see weapons such as the short and long 75mm, the quad 20mm flack and the 75mm Arty.

[/spoiler]

Tier IV

[spoiler]

12070170863_5dcc57b376_c.jpg

Teir IV and the bigger weapons: 88mm AA/AT, 150MM Neberwerfers, 300mm Stuka Zu Fuss and 105mm Arty.

[/spoiler]

Tier IV-V

[spoiler]

12070771906_06e0f5d838_c.jpg

Tier IV-V brings out the heaviest firepower from two types of MLRS a long range flamethrower to cook tanks or an automatic mortar carrier able to fire 20 mortars in a salvo. 

[/spoiler]

Well i hope you liked what you saw, this would add a nice additional extra into WT with different gameplay and tactical options, ive included a poll so il see what you think and if it gets ok feedback il edit it for a suggestions page.

Video is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQN66LlIUvY#t=1) it wont embed no matter what combo i try, so ive given up trying.

Bonus 

[spoiler]12071060594_4247fa832f_c.jpg[/spoiler]

Edited by edfrancis001
  • Upvote 28
medal

Essentially, Mechinized forces can make way in ground forces. Like you suggested adding the vehicles with armaments fit to take on panzers (or in English, tanks.). If WT implements this, I think having larger maps to fit these in combat situations will be a viable change.

+1 for the detailed thought.
  • Upvote 5
medal medal medal

It could be add a lot of stuff and variety to the game. Agreed!

medal medal medal

Well maybe in realistic battles, the halftracks could act like ammo supply vehicles. In rb tanks would run out of ammo, and instead of going back to base to reload, a halftrack player could supply ammo to a stranded tank player, and get rewards for completing the delivery. That would encourage a lot of people to play halftracks. They could also repair tanks out in the field as well, so broken tracks don't mean leaving the battle.

Edited by iamthelol
  • Upvote 2

This. If they were to implement Halftracks, I would throw money at them like I was rich.

[spoiler]

12070771906_06e0f5d838_c.jpg

[/spoiler]

I see where we got our MLRS from...

As for the bonus:

[spoiler]Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

[/spoiler]

Edited by P51VoxelTanker
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

Well maybe in realistic battles, the halftracks could act like ammo supply vehicles. In rb tanks would run out of ammo, and instead of going back to base to reload, a halftrack player could supply ammo to a stranded tank player, and get rewards for completing the delivery. That would encourage a lot of people to play halftracks. They could also repair tanks out in the field as well, so broken tracks don't mean leaving the battle.

It's generally a bad idea in a random game to balance something using "player cooperation" as a parameter.

You summed it up better than I ever could. Great job here, really. I personally would way prefer to be a sneaky half track driver than just a tank bumbling along shooting at anything it sees.

medal medal medal medal medal

Sorry, but I see no sense in the tiers... one of the things you mentioned as T4 carries the 8.8 FlaK 18 and was in service as Tank Destroyer in 1940....?

Nobody would ever play them if tiered like that.

medal medal medal

T4 as the flack version was open topped, but doubled up as an AA and AT gun, this means it has a far faster rof than a tank version, 20 rounds per minute against either ground or air. and it still has good enough AP to do most jobs, that why i put it at a higher tier, as at tier 1 (based on years it entered service, it would be godly).. its also fairly fast and agile. also the flack 88 has a range of about 11km when engaging bombers..ouch to those yers huh

medal

T4 as the flack version was open topped, but doubled up as an AA and AT gun, this means it has a far faster rof than a tank version, 20 rounds per minute against either ground or air. and it still has good enough AP to do most jobs, that why i put it at a higher tier, as at tier 1 (based on years it entered service, it would be godly).. its also fairly fast and agile. also the flack 88 has a range of about 11km when engaging bombers..ouch to those yers huh

20rpm mean a fixed AA Gun, on the move it would drop quite a bit.

Why would it be "godly" at T1? It trades armor for firepower and it would die to attacks of other tanks at any range the shell flies.

Also you have a very wrong impression about the FlaK, as they irl used timed fuzes to explode on the heigh of the Bombers producing dangerous fragments in a area of about 30m² as well as a shockwave which planes don't really like. Here, no Bomber has to fly on a fixed height which gets told to the FlaK before so they can set up the fuzes.

So you'd have only direct hits to count on - which is almost impossible for a Flak. Even if we'd assume it would keep the M/v for 4km, it would be 5 seconds between shot and impact. A average Bomber flying 400km/h would travel more than 500 meters during that time, in other words you'd have to lead a B-17 by more than 20 times it's lenght (which would be far off your scope).

Irl, AAA was massed, not like a single AAA could do anything worth, and Flak Tanks were to pick off really lof flying Fighter-Bombers or Dive Bombers, simply because their RoF allowed them to lead.

Edited by MIKE1988
medal medal medal

Thats where WT differs, those same bombers, wont be hanging around too high, as in a joint game trying to bomb tanks from 10k is quite futile, and many players dive fairly low when fighters appears. it would also die to any tank, however it can afford some range advantage and camp a lot more. (i am also aware of how flack works, but i don't see gaijin implementing that aspect all that effectively) but yeah tier 3 would be better for this, and i dont think it should move and shoot at the same time. - just my tuppence worth 

medal

Thats where WT differs, those same bombers, wont be hanging around too high, as in a joint game trying to bomb tanks from 10k is quite futile, and many players dive fairly low when fighters appears. it would also die to any tank, however it can afford some range advantage and camp a lot more. (i am also aware of how flack works, but i don't see gaijin implementing that aspect all that effectively) but yeah tier 3 would be better for this, and i dont think it should move and shoot at the same time. - just my tuppence worth 

Well... I think we should have a historical MM, meaning it would be T1 - and so would a KV-2 be.

Those things were also needed against the Matildas (not directly those vehicles, but the 88 flak), should we move matildas up the tree now?

I think this is one of the Points where Gaijin's way of MM just is long past it's capacity.

medal medal medal

if they gave infantry a better role than to shoot hopelessly at planes and to be strafed in test flight, they could put them in your halftrack and you can deploy them for battle. Not like this will ever happen but it would be nice.

medal medal

if they gave infantry a better role than to shoot hopelessly at planes and to be strafed in test flight, they could put them in your halftrack and you can deploy them for battle. Not like this will ever happen but it would be nice.

sure, troop carriers could have infantry in them carrying anti tank weapons. They won't step out though.

I think the game really needs halftracks they where really prominent in the German and US armies.
The USSR seemed to have more armoured cars doing the job.