Question About Gun Accuracy

I would like to ask tank testers about gun accuracy. Is there any difference in between tank?

How will it be implemented, because I look at youtube videos and all I see is tank with almost laser guided accuracy, pinpoint accuracy shots even at long distances.
Accuracy factor is not yet implemented to closed beta or something else... ( like me not knowing stuff that I should have )

I don't want to be negativ or anything else I just want to know more about this element of the game. Since noone talks about this.

You are seeing arcade mode tank battles where there is aiming help indicator for gun elevation and penetration indicator. Plus guns are ultra accurate in that mode.

Keep im mind that its closed beta and many things will change over next few months. Edited by Radom
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I think I head something about German guns being more accurate and German tanks being more for long range sniping.
I am not in the beta myself so I can only tell you what I heared.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

I've seen so called sniping tanks that work rather well, plus most videos are in arcade as someone said, where the... tank model? is given a lot of boosts to make it easy.

There will be RB for tanks probably at release. 

medal medal

Accuracy in this game depends not only on luck and still remember that the size of maps is until 4x4 km, ie, the aim is higher factor and the luck is lower because there is a need for horizontal and vertical convergence. Recalling that WoT has maps with only 1x1 km and only horizontal convergence (is easy to hit with mouse aim, but luck is one stupid and decisive  factor).

Edited by Jantro

We all know that Germans were more precise and Russians concentrated especially on mass production, but...

The accuracy of German guns was also thanks to their precise optics and the lines you see in gunsight so it was much easier to guess the target distance and then quickly make a correction... Therefore I'm disappointed to see the same cross in German and Russian tanks, but Im pretty shure this will change (at least in some game mods) as the time goes..

That has probably the same importance as the bomber cockpits. They will come Soon™.^^

Edited by HELL1986
medal medal

We all know that Germans were more precise and Russians concentrated especially on mass production, but...

I`ve heard of some data that the 122mm D-2-5T was actually quite accurate(while in WoT it has a 0.4 accuracy, while long 88 has 0.34 and short 88 0.37-ish), but that could`ve been just propaganda.

medal

The accuracy impact from the gun itself is pretty small (a tank sized target should be no problem for most tanks at 2km).

The most impact comes from the crew. A gun with a flat trajectory (-> and so a higher distance for a direct shot and less influence of range) helps to reduce misestimations.

Sights help, p.e. with range guessing/finding.

• Upvote 2
medal medal

The accuracy impact from the gun itself is pretty small (a tank sized target should be no problem for most tanks at 2km).

Yeah, but a KV-2`s 152mm gun with that short barrel means less shell stabilization, unlike the 88`s longer barrel, for example. But I agree that at the current 500m most skirmishes are fought in-game it`s normal to never miss because of bad accuracy.

medal

I`ve heard of some data that the 122mm D-2-5T was actually quite accurate(while in WoT it has a 0.4 accuracy, while long 88 has 0.34 and short 88 0.37-ish), but that could`ve been just propaganda.

Well... WoT makes stats up to "ballance" things rather than to go for a historical accuracy.. ;)s

But might be as well because the IS tanks (at least the IS-2) had to lower the gun barrel after each shot because you couldnt load the gun otherwise. And when you loaded, then the correction for the next shot wasnt so easy, was it...

But I'm not really an expert, I dont know how much it had to be put down, nor for how long and I've never shot a tank gun in real life. So dont take my word for granted :D All this is like everything with tank combat, it never happened 1v1, the moment of surprise the skill, the lack of radios in russian tanks, the mechanical malfunctions.. all that probably wont be delivered by an arcade game...

• Upvote 1

The only source I can find about IS-tanks depressing the barrel to reload is from the Military Channel.

The gun could be reloaded from any elevation, and as far as I am aware, depressing the barrel would make it more difficult to survice the gun since the breech is in a higher position (why else do you think on modern MBTs, the gun actually elevates so the loader can service it in the most efficient way)

Edited by RoflSeal
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

The IS-2 had a similar accuracy as the Tiger I and II. It even have fare better optics than the previous soviet tanks (which had better optics than the most other tanks, exclusive the german ones).

http://tankarchives.blogspot.ca/2013/02/accuracy.html

According to Jentz' Germany's Tiger Tanks - Tiger I and II: Combat Tactics, the KwK 36 8.8L/56 gun had 100% accuracy against a 2.5 meter by 2 meter target in training conditions (known range). The KwK 43 8.8L/71 gun on the Tiger II also has 100% accuracy at this range. Since the maximum deviation of the IS-2's D-25T is 80 cm at that range, it is safe to say that it can achieve 100% accuracy at that range as well.

Now, let's go up to 2000m. The accuracy of German tanks decreases slightly: 87% for the Tiger and 85% for the Tiger II...
By German metrics, the IS-2 has 100% accuracy at this range, even higher than the accuracy of the Tiger and Tiger II.

medal

The biggest factor in accuracy is not the actual deviation of the gun, but the range estimation error of the gunner. The fact is, the deviation differences between the 88 and 122 are so small, it doesn't matter if the deviation is 1.0m or 1.2m, if you range it correctly both are still going to hit a tank that is 3m high and 3m wide.

Currently ingame, due to the cross thing, we have perfect range estimation skills.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

Currently ingame, due to the cross thing, we have perfect range estimation skills.

Will they remove this cross thing that shows where you can penetrate a target and will you hit it in RB ? Just like the aim circle from arcade planes is missing from RB. If so this is where Skill will come in very "handy" :D

• Upvote 1

The biggest factor in accuracy is not the actual deviation of the gun, but the range estimation error of the gunner. The fact is, the deviation differences between the 88 and 122 are so small, it doesn't matter if the deviation is 1.0m or 1.2m, if you range it correctly both are still going to hit a tank that is 3m high and 3m wide.

and there is one of the advantages of the 88mm it could shoot faster.

• Upvote 1
medal

Of course. Thats THE big advantage of this gun. After the first missed shot the second (and hopefully final) round needs only around 5-10s (depending on the skill of the loader, turret position and ammo storage).

If the loader has a round ready (lap-loading) than the time can be reduced to three seconds.

I once talked with a guy who was commanding a T-55 in the 70's when in the army, and he told me that their standard engagement procedure (when they were the ones initiating combat) was that they loaded the gun, then the loader readied another round to be able to quickly reload if they missed the shot. Once they conducted a test of how fast can they fire at targets at 1000m (the targets were stationary, at a fixed distance and the gunner could take all his time before engaging, but had to drop the targets the fastest possible after firing the first shot), and the result was that the time between the first and second shot was 3 seconds (that's why I said three seconds), the difference between the second and third shot was ~5-7 seconds and then it only increased as the loader was getting more and more exhausted and as the ready racks were emptying.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

Nice to have a robot doing the loading for you.

Where?

medal medal