Exhaust smoke from tanks

Hello people!

I have a question for all who are playing in CB of Ground forces.
Is there an option to turn off the exhaust smoke from tanks?

After looking at many videos on YT, I really don't like it and I bet it uses some FPS.

Thank you for your time and answers! :salute:

I could be toned down a bit on some of the videos the player can't see where he's shooting because of all the smoke. Atleast it looks that way on some tanks.

medal medal

I think it might play a part in spotting and bombing tanks from the  air, so I doubt it can be turned off. 

Here is a gameplay video from eNtaK.  If you skip to 10:04, he is shooting at 2 tanks that are driving and showing sides, but there is no visible smoke from the  exhaust.
If the smoke can't be seen from 320m (in the video) how can it be from the planes which will be much further :)?

Edited by Bichri002

Fine for me, running movie graphics and exhaust doesn't seem to make any noticeable changes to FPS.

medal medal

I think it might play a part in spotting and bombing tanks from the  air, so I doubt it can be turned off. 

Smoke doesn't go high enough in the air to be used for spotting purpose. Cloud of dust from the shot/smoke from the cannon on the other hand can be seen from a slow flying plane.

Edited by VuDu666
medal medal

I think one should be able to switch it off client-side to gain some FPS. If he turns it off, he won't see the thing, but that's his problem...

• Upvote 1
medal medal

I think there sould be two different rendering options for tanks and planes, since for spotting a tank with a plane exhaust smoke plays a huge role, but the level of detail of a bunker or ground textures nearby don't really matter.

For groundforces the rendering of distance and clouds, ect isn't that big of a deal.

Smoke doesn't go high enough in the air to be used for spotting purpose. Cloud of dust from the shot/smoke from the cannon on the other hand can be seen from a slow flying plane.

Hmm when i look at groundtargets in the open beta, i think the dust, exhaust smoke, etc. produced by the vehicles will play a huge role (or already is in FRB) for planes to spot em. When you got somewhat close to em of course.

Anyway i'm curious how combined battels will look like on maps like Ruhr. We got 3 capture points that are pretty close to each other for a plane. But not for a tank (the air line distance from Bottrop to Bochum is around 20km what means that a Tiger would need 1h to get from A to C assuming he is driving at his terain top speed without any obstacle in his way). So maybe there could be 3 diferent ground battles for tanks (one at each capture point) and planes would interfere in all of em.

But thats just speculations from my side (or how i would like to see air to ground combat, vica versa in this game)

I have not noticed any fps lost from the smoke myself, but there is still alot of optimization to be done so we will see.

If you hit Z while driving a tank, the view switches from behind the tank to on top of the turret. so You can navigate without the anoying smoke :salute:

medal medal medal medal

When you say exhaust smoke from a tiger, that doesn't seem right, the diesel tanks are the only ones that should have exhaust smoke, maybe a little puff from the petrol engines when they are cold or under extreme stress ( going up a steep grade) but other then that, if there is a blinding about of smoke coming from any gasoline engine that isn't a 2 stroke I would be the first one to say that said engine is broken in some way. There are plenty of videos of tanks driving on the internet to back up my claims.  

medal

When you say exhaust smoke from a tiger, that doesn't seem right, the diesel tanks are the only ones that should have exhaust smoke, maybe a little puff from the petrol engines when they are cold or under extreme stress ( going up a steep grade) but other then that, if there is a blinding about of smoke coming from any gasoline engine that isn't a 2 stroke I would be the first one to say that said engine is broken in some way. There are plenty of videos of tanks driving on the internet to back up my claims.  

Well numerous reasons can cause petrols to give off smoke even though they shouldnt. The most common is just weared gaskets or burning oil ( when the O-ring gets worn and doesnt seal the piston right so oil leaks in and causes smoke ) .

But mostly what you said is true . Diesels on the other hand do give off more smoke due to the different combustion process and well they burn diesel lol.

ANd yes according to the videos the amout of smoke coming from the tiger would indicate it has a damn turbo-charged diesel under there.... which it doesnt.. ( or maybe does :D )

medal medal