'Our Engine has been damaged by .50cals!'

So I played a bit of Arcade Battles today, flying out my Americans (still trying to get something good out of the Kittyhawk), when someone hit me and my engine cut out - when I was low on altitude I saw a convoy, including some light tanks, driving short in front of me.

Destroyed 2 AA-vehicles, damaged a 3rd and aimed for a light tank's, identified as M3 Stuart, rear. I wasn't really expecting my .50cal MGs to do anything, but somehow .. they did damage the tank and the game told me this:

RCZmlTu.jpg

But bloody light tank refused to let me score a hit on his ammorack :(

Not really belongs to the Ground Forces section, but neither to the Aircraft section, probably in the Off-Topic Section but .. hey, whatever.

Thought it was quite funny because I also saw the engine-hitbox of the tank pop up with yellow / orange outline for a second.

• Upvote 10
medal

seems they are adding proper damage models in preparation to the release of tanks. you could damage and kill them before, but it never told you what modules you damaged or showed the hitboxes

• Upvote 1

seems they are adding proper damage models in preparation to the release of tanks. you could damage and kill them before, but it never told you what modules you damaged or showed the hitboxes

thats exactly what im pointing out - ive killed light tanks (and very rarely medium tanks) with mgs and cannons before .. but it never told me i critted his engine / turret drive / whatever.

medal

50 cals vs the rear of a M3 Stuart?

Yup 50 cals win... rear armor is less than 20MM of Armor..

Yesterday set on fire a medium tank using the 37MM of the Ju 87 G1. Load Ap shoot both cannons once, and presto medium tank on flame. " secs after...Kbom.

medal

My grandfather worked with a ground attack wing of P 47s. He said that the pilots used to spot Tigers and Panthers on thick concrete roads and would aim slightly in front of them and bounce the rounds off the ground in a very high angle strafe. The tiger had like a paper belly so it would usually kill the whole crew. .50s are pretty amazing!

This is clearly bullshit because the tiger 1's belly armor is thicker than the .50 can penetrate at anything but point blank, a richochet would at best get 30 degrees angle of impact, or bury itself in the concrete.

• Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal

This is clearly bullshit because the tiger 1's belly armor is thicker than the .50 can penetrate at anything but point blank, a richochet would at best get 30 degrees angle of impact, or bury itself in the concrete.

I guess many of those 'Tigers' were mistakenly identified Panzer IVs or even IIIs. From high up, one would probably identify even a PzIV as Panther. At least in WT you won't really know what exact tank model you're shooting at unless ur closer than 500-600m.

medal

I guess many of those 'Tigers' were mistakenly identified Panzer IVs or even IIIs. From high up, one would probably identify even a PzIV as Panther. At least in WT you won't really know what exact tank model you're shooting at unless ur closer than 500-600m.

That's highly possible, most "Tiger" engagements on Normandy were in fact side-skirted Pz IV's...

medal medal

My grandfather worked with a ground attack wing of P 47s. He said that the pilots used to spot Tigers and Panthers on thick concrete roads and would aim slightly in front of them and bounce the rounds off the ground in a very high angle strafe. [...]

Same old urban legend, especially when refering to Tiger tanks.

And even though the .50 Cal round could penetrate the PzKpfw IV's bottom armour plate at an angle of 90°, the projectiles would lose too much kinetic energy and would be highly deformed when impacting concrete ground.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal

Anyone happens to have the data for the topside armour of WW2 tanks? I seem to recall 25mm on early and 40 on late Tiger I's, what about the rest? I'm asking because if it's thin enough, an aircraft coming down at near-90 degree angle could penetrate it and cause devastation inside.

(Guys, don't forget that rounds fired from an aircraft have higher energy due to the velocity of the plane being added to it.)
medal medal

My grandfather worked with a ground attack wing of P 47s. He said that the pilots used to spot Tigers and Panthers on thick concrete roads and would aim slightly in front of them and bounce the rounds off the ground in a very high angle strafe. The tiger had like a paper belly so it would usually kill the whole crew. .50s are pretty amazing!

That myth again.

Many ground units used 50cals aswell. Why didn't they use this "trick"?

When the bullet hits the ground it:

A burries itself into it

B gets so slow after the bounce that it could penetrate nothing.

P47 used rockets and bombs for tiger tanks and thats it.

Edited by IronJockel

That myth again.

Exactly. Why bother with Pershings and bazookas if the .50 cal was the ultimate Tiger killing machine?

A burries itself into it

no, it doesn't. at least not always. especially on pavement or roads.

Edited by Rumpullpus
medal medal

That myth again.

When the bullet hits the ground it:

A burries itself into it

B gets so slow after the bounce that it could penetrate nothing.

P47 used rockets and bombs for tiger tanks and thats it.

It has been demonstrated that weapons used from an aircraft against ground targets are more powerful than the same weapons used from the ground to other ground targets. Reason: every round fired had the plane's speed added to its muzzle velocity. But your point stands.

-----

Guys, let's put the grandads and the vets aside, and let's take our brains out.

Let's assume someone opts to go down in a vertical dive on a tank and has the appropriate cannons (20, 23, 30, 37, 45 mm), and using the link Mantelman has provided (added below), do you think the planes and cannons currently in game can damage the tanks in the game?

The link (via LoneSentry, thanks Mantelman): http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt07/armor-german-tanks.html

PS: Mantelman, if you can find other similar armour layout charts, we can expand this discussion to other tanks too.

medal medal

[...]

Let's assume someone opts to go down in a vertical dive on a tank ...

[...]

Planes in real life can't attack from a vertical dive, pilots usually want to survive their own attack. The plane that comes closest to a vertical dive (or even achieves it) is the Ju 87 Stuka dive bomber, the cannon armed version is however incapable of doing a vertical attack and no fighter can do a ground attack run in a steep dive. If you have to fire .50 cal guns at 10-12mm armor while flying at a realistic angle however you will find that basically all medium (and of cause heavy) tanks are impenetrable by your fire. Even 20mm cannons have a hard time, but anything larger will likely go through. 

And before this comes up: Yes in WT it is possible to attack from a vertical dive, that still does not make it realistic.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I wasn't talking about realistic, I was talking about theoretical.
medal medal

It has been demonstrated that weapons used from an aircraft against ground targets are more powerful than the same weapons used from the ground to other ground targets. Reason: every round fired had the plane's speed added to its muzzle velocity. But your point stands.

-----

Guys, let's put the grandads and the vets aside, and let's take our brains out.

Let's assume someone opts to go down in a vertical dive on a tank and has the appropriate cannons (20, 23, 30, 37, 45 mm), and using the link Mantelman has provided (added below), do you think the planes and cannons currently in game can damage the tanks in the game?

The link (via LoneSentry, thanks Mantelman): http://www.lonesentry.com/articles/ttt07/armor-german-tanks.html

PS: Mantelman, if you can find other similar armour layout charts, we can expand this discussion to other tanks too.

Google is our friend^^

[spoiler]

M3 Stuart (13mm):

Stuart_armor.jpg

M4 Sherman (19mm):

m4a2_sherman-1.jpg

T-34 (20mm):

t34_armor_scheme.gif

KV-1 (30mm!):

t34_armor_scheme.gif

IS-1 & 2 (30mm):

IS-2_scheme_of_armour.jpg

Pzkw. V "Panther" (17mm):

pantherascheme.jpg

Tiger II (40mm):

Armor_Scheme_Tiger2.png

[/spoiler]

For the less common or famous tanks I searched in Wiki for it:

[spoiler]

Pzkw. 35(t):

Hull-roof: 12mm

Turret-roof: 8mm

Pzkw. 38(t):

Version A-D+S: 10mm

Version E-G: 12mm

Jagdpanzer 38(t):

Roof: 8mm

Stug III (and probatly IV):

Roof: 19mm

Jagdpanzer IV:

Roof: 20mm

Jagdpanzer V:

Roof: 17mm

Jagdpanzer VI:

Roof: 40mm (!)

Panzerjäger Tiger (P) "Ferdinand":

Roof: ?

Sturmpanzer IV:

Roof: 20mm

Sturmpanzer VI:

Roof: 40mm

[/spoiler]

For other allied tanks I will look tomorow.

• Upvote 1
medal