Sign in to follow this  
ElBarca

Grumman XF5F

XF5F.jpg
Technical description:

Engines: two 9-cylinder air-cooled radial engines Wright Cyclone R-1820-40, equipped with two-stage supercharger
Power:

• Nominal mode - 1000 bhp at 4500 ft and 900 bhp at 14 500 ft at 2300 rpm and 40" MP
  • Take-off mode (5 minute) - 1200 bhp at SL, 2500 rpm and 45.5"

Reduction gear ratio - 3:2
Dry weight - 1315 lbs

Propellers: two counter-rotating three-blade Curtiss Wright Electric Hollow propellers
Diameter - 11' 4" 

Weight and dimensions:
Wingspan - 42 ft
Wing area - 303.5 sq ft
Length - 28 ft 8 1/2 in
Empty weight - 8 100 lbs
Take off weight - 10 021 lbs

Performance:

Level speed performance (nominal power, radiator closed)

Altitude, ft                           TAS, mph
          0                                         312
       4 500                                     326
       7 300                                     324
      14 000                                    346
      20 000                                    352
      30 000                                    315

Top speed - 358 mph at 17 300 ft

Climb performance (nominal power, radiator opened)

Altitude, ft                           Time to, min
      10 000                                      4.2   
      20 000                                      9.3

Maximum climbrate at SL - 4000 ft/min

Stall speed - 73 mph

• Upvote 2

please give it better guns, it was planned to have 2 23mm cannons. the plan was canceled but come on, it was never mass produced anyway and with its current guns its just bad.

• Upvote 5
medal medal medal

That is the only place I've ever sen that armament. Everywhere else claims 2x 23mm, or 4x .50 cal.

The plane itself never had guns, they were planning to either use x2 23mm and x2 50cal or x2 7mm and x2 50cal. They chose the latter in the end but they never put them on the actual plane, can't we just get the x2 23mm to be reasonable? the plane is unusable at tier 3

• Upvote 4
medal medal medal

XF5F have a BR of 4.7 if i remember right, now the plane itself not that bad, its pretty slow but a good turn fighter, but for AB the problem coming from the BB guns you put on it, you don't even have enough ammo to kill a single Japan (paper) fighter, its really feels like a 4.7 BR reserve plane.

For simulator mode its a different story, since even these crappy guns can be ok there, but you are limited to cockpit view and you have to aim that way with the completely broken and useless gun scope.

Its only shows a bunch of pixels, no player in the world can aim with that and its also completely block your view.

The more frustrating part is the iron sight, when you zoomed out, you looking on the scope and can't see anything at all, but when you zoom in, suddenly the view moves on the iron sight and you can aim just fine.

However, there are numerous situations where you simply can't aim with fully zoomed view, you need to maneuver, turn your head etc, so after all, we have a turn fighter that can't aim in a turn fight.

Please fix this gun sight and change the default view to the iron sight, only use the scope for zooming in, im sure its a simple thing to do, just change the cockpit view.

Edited by Rorgan
  • Upvote 2

XF5F have a BR of 4.7 if i remember right, now the plane itself not that bad, its pretty slow but a good turn fighter, but for AB the problem coming from the BB guns you put on it, you don't even have enough ammo to kill a single Japan (paper) fighter, its really feels like a 4.7 BR reserve plane.

For simulator mode its a different story, since even these crappy guns can be ok there, but you are limited to cockpit view and you have to aim that way with the completely broken and useless gun scope.

Its only shows a bunch of pixels, no player in the world can aim with that and its also completely block your view.

The more frustrating part is the iron sight, when you zoomed out, you looking on the scope and can't see anything at all, but when you zoom in, suddenly the view moves on the iron sight and you can aim just fine.

However, there are numerous situations where you simply can't aim with fully zoomed view, you need to maneuver, turn your head etc, so after all, we have a turn fighter that can't aim in a turn fight.

Please fix this gun sight and change the default view to the iron sight, only use the scope for zooming in, im sure its a simple thing to do, just change the cockpit view.

how about we just get the option to switch between gun sights? like we press a button and the pilots head automatically adjusts to another gunsight... you can do it manually but its pretty hard

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

I can't really do it with my controls, i using hat-switch to look around..

But just look at BF109 for example, you not looking on the middle of the cockpit there, the default view is set a bit right on the gun sight, thats what i trying to achieve for XF5F too, its just changing 2 integers..

Edited by Rorgan
  • Upvote 1

Want that engine power very much. Also that version seems ~1700 pounds lighter, much better climbrate, probably much better acceleration.

So there was an initial prototype and then a revised prototype?  I have heard that the ingame model ascribes to the initial prototype with weaker performance and that they settled on the 2x 12.7mm/2x 7.7mm later in development?  So it's the weak initial prototype paired up with the armament settled on later in development?

• Upvote 1

Sign in to follow this