Kittyhawk fighter recovered largely intact from the Sahara desert

Any body recovered?

If you go read the article...  :learn: :facepalm:

It says that they expect his body to be recovered within a 20 mile radius of the aircraft.  I did see a picture that MIGHT have been the discovery of his body but I'm not sure.

Edited by TheComerator

Awesome but this picture is pretty old. My only question is what plane shot the kittyhawk down? I wanna say a Bf 109 F4 trop model maybe, becouse those were used in the sahara. Also, from this picture:

[spoiler]slide_225608_961599_free.jpg[/spoiler]

It seems he has 2 kind of bullit holes. I would dare to say that they were coused by 20mm bullits (big holes) and 7.9mm bullits (small holes)

Sad how the pilot died, well every nation has something special now, USA has the MIG-15 and now the UK has a very unique P-40,

Dang how the heck did that aircraft survive 70 years?!? It must be very fragile. Edited by _13codyrex
medal medal

Sad how the pilot died, well every nation has something special now, USA has the MIG-15 and now the UK has a very unique P-40,

Dang how the heck did that aircraft survive 70 years?!? It must be very fragile.

You can still see tank tracks from ww2 in some parts of the desert, not much erosion out there.

Dang how the heck did that aircraft survive 70 years?!? It must be very fragile.

I'd imagine some of the internal parts of the plane wouldn't have had a hard time surviving quite easily since they wouldn't have been exposed to much that could've damaged them (beyond the plane crashing in the first place), like the ammunition you see in some of the photos, it looks in fairly good condition apart from rust and sand on certain parts

medal medal medal medal

Any body recovered?

"A body has been found in the desert close to the spot where a pilot disappeared after crash-landing during the war.

The wreckage of the P40 Kittyhawk plane was found perfectly preserved earlier this year, 70 years after the accident, and now it seems that airman Dennis Copping's remains may have been recovered nearby.

The bones were located on some rocks four months ago, along with a piece of parachute, about three miles from where the plane landed in the Sahara desert in 1942.

A keychain fob with the number 61 on it was found near the remains, along with a metal button dated 1939.

But the pilot's relatives claim the Ministry of Defence said that the remains were not those of the lost airman.

It has since been established that the bones were never recovered or analysed, leaving open the possibility they may be those of Flight Sergeant Copping."

(Continued in the article linked below)

Note: Article is from about a year ago.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2222406/Dennis-Copping-Body-war-pilot-crash-landed-plane-Sahara-found.html

Amazing discovery none the less, also got to admire the skill of the pilot to have crash landed the plane in such an environment in relatively good condition.

Edited by Moolius
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

That engine block looks to be in a very good shape for spending over 70 years in the dessert, amazing how much the climate of the region affects the degrading of metal so much.

Fascinating story and photographs. Quite a teasure trove! Its also interesting (from a skinner's point of view) to see the weathering effects of 70 years UV exposure and 'gentle' sand-blasting on the paint, and how some colours have performed/altered/survived differently to others.

Certainly a lonely place to die!

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Poor pilot, survive a crash landing to be left out there to die in the middle of nowhere.

I agree. Very sad. I was hoping it would say the pilot got to finally be reunited with his long lost plane. :/.

I wonder how far he made it.

The plane is a wonderful discovery but I keep thinking about that poor pilot.
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal