Curious, anyone here done any tank models?

About a year or so ago, I tried modeling my own ISU, but my computer just couldn't handle my L.O.D. So, this is about as far as I got, with every track and link being an individual object.

This was made in Blender, using only a laptop touchpad and a keyboard. You can imagine the hand-cramps, considering I also did it in around 24 hrs total work time. Additionally, it has about 400,000 vertices, which is why my computer can't handle it. It's in GLSL shading, and my computer isn't the most high-end gaming laptop in existence, It's just a simple lenovo.

[attachment=38032:rendertest4.png]

All I had for reference were a few images, and i know the model isn't perfect. Really it's jsut because of the way i built it, as single objects that aren't meant to be taken apart, and have no "loose" vertices, everything is closed. However, the bad thing about this is that i have to make sure i have the right number of sides to make certain things. For instance, you'll notice on some wheels i didn't have enough sides, and had to compromise on wheel structure slightly.

Anyone else undertake projects like this before?

• Upvote 6
medal

I built a tamiya 1/16th scale R/C JagdPanther, along with a (unrelated and somewhat off topic) 3 1/2 ft long Trumpeter Fletcher Class DD which I recently converted to R/C. Computer 3D modeling really isn't my thing.

I've just gota say that image is pretty amazing ive tried to 3d model... but i ended up with alot of blocks, cylinders and spheres. Why spheres on a tank you may ask? well towards the end i reaized it wasn't happening and and just added stuff that looked cool in the render. I have built a 1/32 scale M60 and Panzer II, they were fun to build. Dont have pictures though because im on vacation.

Doing Game Art and Design in college and I can tell you got too much vertices! :D Keep it under 100.000 atleast. For example a circle can be highly tuned down and doesn't require like a 1000 vertices (100 is even too much.) So just try and make things a bit more.... simple? I personally use Maya for 3D and Zbrush, haven't used Blender.

• 4 weeks later...
I've done loads of tank models in the past:

Panther (2006):
[spoiler]panther2010_1.jpg[/spoiler]

Panzer IB (2010):
[spoiler]panzer-i-3.jpg[/spoiler]

Panzer IIC (2012):
[spoiler]panzer_ii_t9.jpg[/spoiler]

I've also done loads of other models including planes in the past, and have many more in partially finished state resting on my HDD.

Nice start on that suspension!

Cobra 6 Edited by cobra6
  • Upvote 2
medal medal

I do plastic models, I guess those aren't the droids you are looking for? Btw, nice models you guys have there.

medal medal

Join the club. Just finished a Stug 4

Haven't finished a model in years. I finishthe build the I don't dare start the paint in fear to screw up all the work I put into the build. I might just start cannibalising old kits and painting them for training purposes.

medal medal

I've done loads of tank models in the past:

Panther (2006):
[spoiler]panther2010_1.jpg[/spoiler]

Panzer IB (2010):
[spoiler]panzer-i-3.jpg[/spoiler]

Panzer IIC (2012):
[spoiler]panzer_ii_t9.jpg[/spoiler]

I've also done loads of other models including planes in the past, and have many more in partially finished state resting on my HDD.

Nice start on that suspension!

Cobra 6

Look amazing man! and dude good work on that suspension from myself as well.

I do some modeling here in there. I use maya though.

I do plastic models, I guess those aren't the droids you are looking for? Btw, nice models you guys have there.

I recently just acquired several tank plastic models sets from a family friend after he learned that I had heard that I had just started tank modeling as a hobby. Unfortunately I make tank models on my computer and have never done plastic before, but I'm now learning.

Here's an unfinished Stridsvagn 103 I'm doing Sketchup. I also have a model on a M18 somewhere as well as a Panther Asuf G I did in Minecraft at a scale of 32:1 ( that's about 280 meters long.)

[spoiler]YMasujr.png[/spoiler]

Currently working on a Mark IV Female plastic set, though I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing and should probably read some guilds about working with plastic before I bugger anything up. (I've only stabbed myself once so far with an exacto knife, so things are still looking optimistic!)

Edited by EndlesNights
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal