Well there was kind of a reason that Allied tanks would often avoid head to head combat with a King Tiger and opt to send in aircraft instead to take it out, it was a very formidible opponent if mechanical issues didn't prevent it getting to the battlefield in the first place. But then there was also a good reason for the Jagdtiger being introduced with it's 128mm gun, namely to reliably kill Soviet heavies that the KT might have problems with. Maybe tank battles will require some sort of, hmmm what's the word? Oh yea 'teamwork'

The Sturmtiger 380 mm rocket mortar firing sound is already in the game files, as well.  If you can somehow get a direct hit with that, I'm sure it'd be enough to take out any tank/small warship/apartment complex standing in your way.

• Upvote 1

The Sturmtiger 380 mm rocket mortar firing sound is already in the game files, as well.  If you can somehow get a direct hit with that, I'm sure it'd be enough to take out any tank/small warship/apartment complex standing in your way.

That's going to be added?! SWEET! that thing in men of war is SICK!

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Yeah, i brought up the 128mm and everyone was like 'NO WAY 88 IS ENOUGH!"

Well the 88 under the right circumstances would be enough, but you can't always guarantee the right circumstances so it's generally better to have something bigger to ensure you can knock out anything that comes your way

Really? Well then *rubs hands in glee*

Edited by Private_Public
medal medal medal medal

squanto your picture is invalid... show us some testing data with the KWK 43 against extreme sloped armour plates which show, that the gun wasnt able to penetrate

it is less a gun problem than an ammunition problem

is-tanks-4.jpg

This is technically not an IS-4. It is one of the Object 703 prototypes, it is 110mm at 60 degrees, and shows its robustness.

"From the attached table, it is clear that the front section of the hull is impervious to any presently known artillery system. The durability of the front hull is sufficient, and provides satisfactory robustness. After 7 shots from 88-152 mm guns, the front of the hull is capable of continuing combat.
Photo #7: hits from a German 88 mm shell from 330 meters (#16), and a 122 mm shell from 690 meters (#18)"

IS-4 has 140mm sloped at 61 degrees.

Edited by RoflSeal
  • Upvote 7
medal medal

Is there any data on how the 10,5 cm KwK would've performed compared to the 8,8?

I understand that higher doesnt mean better, BUT the 88 was only good for shermans which very LITTLE armor. Yeah they could pen them at range, but thats like shooting a shotgun at a waterbottle... I just feel it seems kind of odd.

:facepalm:

Jesus...

WoT really screwed up every kind of knowledge about tanks. :facepalm:

the 8.8L56 and the 8.8L71 were among the best gun during WWII, able to destroy almost every tank they faced from 1km of distance.

A Tiger could easyly destroy a Sherman, a Churchill or a Comet Same foes for KV-1 and KV-2

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

The only known data for it's capabilities that I am aware of are in a British document.

jqVMieq.jpg

The weight and MV listed are rather close to the projected weights and MV intended for the 10.5cm L68 (15.6kg at 990m/s MV according to Hahn)

Edited by RoflSeal
  • Upvote 2
medal medal

Yeah, i brought up the 128mm and everyone was like 'NO WAY 88 IS ENOUGH!"

88(kwk 36 and 43) was enough for probably every tank tiger/kt could face in WW2.

there would be problems with IS-3 but is-3 wasn't in any combat durring ww2, first IS-3 left Chelyabinsk factory ~ week after Victory day in europe

IS-4 is post war production because gaijin has to compensate something and because this game is ruined with korean era things, so it's expectable that 1944 will have problem with 1947 tank (IS-3 and IS-4 were designed like "anti 88 tanks" )

• Upvote 4
medal medal

tumblr-gifs-wtf-i16.gif

I´m sorry but the 88mm was feared by its enemies for its high penetration and range. The Tiger was able to knock out any tank before those were even able to get into firing range.

Damn WoT Logic doesn´t apply here

*WOT Logic and the WOT forum indoctrination program

• Upvote 2

Penetration of the 88mm L71 firing APCBC at angles 30, 45, 60 degrees from vertical.

HPBbwU8.png

Angle multipliers are from German curves for slope effect in WWII Ballistics

As it can be seen, vs top tier Russian vehicles, the 88mm will struggle.

T-54; 100mm at 60 degrees

IS-4: 140mm at 61 degrees

IS-3: 110mm at 61 degrees (max) or 56 degrees (min)

Edited by RoflSeal
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

I'm sorry guys =/ it first started off as a troll thread, then it got into something real. I knew the 88 was good, but then it turned real when arguing how it would do against is4. 

medal medal medal

Penetration of the 88mm L71 firing APCBC at angles 30, 45, 60 degrees from vertical.

HPBbwU8.png

Angle multipliers are from German curves for slope effect in WWII Ballistics

As it can be seen, vs top tier Russian vehicles, the 88mm will struggle.

That proves it then... 88 only has  84mm of penetration at 100m on the is4's armor, considering that the is4 has near 60 degree slope. Not even close to penning, 

Edited by realmanbaby
medal medal medal

I understand that higher doesnt mean better, BUT the 88 was only good for shermans which very LITTLE armor. Yeah they could pen them at range, but thats like shooting a shotgun at a waterbottle... I just feel it seems kind of odd.

The 88 had enough penetration to knock out IS-2's at over 1km.

I'm afraid we're in for another "Me 262 vs. MiG-15" scenario with tanks.  Maybe they should've left out the upgraded Tiger II/Panther II and held the IS-3/4 and T-54 for when the US and British trees with Cold War tanks come out.

Edited by DogFoodLid
  • Upvote 2

The 88 had enough penetration to knock out IS-2's at over 1km.

Depends which IS2 and which part of the IS 2. m1944s glacis couldn't be perforated by the PaK43. The lower plate and turret on the other hand were vulnerable up to 2500m and 3000m respectively.
medal medal

Depends which IS2 and which part of the IS 2. m1944s glacis couldn't be perforated by the PaK43. The lower plate and turret on the other hand were vulnerable up to 2500m and 3000m respectively.

Kwk 36 really started to struggle at the end of the war. Ther is a huge difference. The kwk 43 remained a beast to the end.

• Upvote 1
medal

:facepalm:

Jesus...

WoT really screwed up every kind of knowledge about tanks. :facepalm:

the 8.8L56 and the 8.8L71 were among the best gun during WWII, able to destroy almost every tank they faced from 1km of distance.
A Tiger could easyly destroy a Sherman, a Churchill or a Comet Same foes for KV-1 and KV-2

Jumbo Sherman says hi.

2 isreali shermans with 105mm guns killed over three dozen T44 and T54 tanks... clearly the german 88 which was arguabbly one of the best guns produced would have been able to compete.FYI the M1 ABrams  main gun is made in germany, clearly they must make somthing of quality.

American law requires all American war material to be build in America, but the gun is build under license from a German design.

Alright, from what i'm reading the 88 is good, but i still dont see how it's enough for an IS-4. Not even close.

You guys do know that the IS-3 and IS-4 are postwar tanks, right? That the IS-3 participated in the Victory parade in Berlin on the 7th September 1945 does not make it a wartime tank.

• Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

You guys do know that the IS-3 and IS-4 are postwar tanks, right? That the IS-3 participated in the Victory parade in Berlin on the 7th September 1945 does not make it a wartime tank.

Do you really think that means it will only fight other postwar tanks in the matchmaking?  It's going to be the same as it is with planes.

• Upvote 4

Jumbo Sherman says hi.

Insignificant production number says "hello!"

Anyway, even Jumbo would have problem versus 88mm.
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal

I'm sorry guys =/ it first started off as a troll thread, then it got into something real. I knew the 88 was good, but then it turned real when arguing how it would do against is4.

First thing I thou when I read your statements.

Btw, any mod here to give some punishment for this?
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal