tumblr-gifs-wtf-i16.gif

I´m sorry but the 88mm was feared by its enemies for its high penetration and range. The Tiger was able to knock out any tank before those were even able to get into firing range.

Damn WoT Logic doesn´t apply here

lol +1 for House

• Upvote 6
medal medal medal

Alright, from what i'm reading the 88 is good, but i still dont see how it's enough for an IS-4. Not even close.

look at the armor on the IS4 and then look at the pen of the 88mm with standard and ACPR and compaire numbers its really simple.

• Upvote 9
medal medal medal medal medal

Alright, from what i'm reading the 88 is good, but i still dont see how it's enough for an IS-4. Not even close.

It depends on how they model the armor layout of the IS-4, and ballistic mechanics like deflection, armor slope and shell normalization.  The 88 round had a very flat trajectory out to past 1000 meters, which made it very accurate.  There may be weak spots on the front of the IS-4 that the Tiger II could target with less armor than the surrounding plate.  And may be wrong on this, but it kind of seems like the slope of the IS-4's front plate could deflect rounds up into the turret ring or the "chin" of the underside of the turret.

Edited by DogFoodLid

It depends on how they model the armor layout of the IS-4, and ballistic mechanics like deflection, armor slope and shell normalization.  The 88 round had a very flat trajectory out to past 1000 meters, which made it very accurate.  There may be weak spots on the front of the IS-4 that the Tiger II could target with less armor than the surrounding plate.  And may be wrong on this, but it kind of seems like the slope of the IS-4's front plate could act as a shot trap and deflect rounds up into the turret ring or the "chin" of the underside of the turret.

Perhaps, I know that's what they moved away from the Porche turret on the King Tiger. The shot trap was pretty bad with the original turret

medal medal medal

Perhaps, I know that's what they moved away from the Porche turret on the King Tiger. The shot trap was pretty bad with the original turret

It was also annoying to manufacture because of the bulge on the side to accommodate the commander's cupola.  It's easier to make straight or angled armor plate than rounded.

• Upvote 1

The kwk 43 cannot pen the IS-4 even at point blank range. LoS thickness is not the same as effective armor.

284px-Projectil_deflection_effects.jpg

For example the KT has about 238mm LoS thickness on upper plate, but against pershing's HVAP it was over 400mm effectively.

That said, the Is-4 can not penetrate the KT from the front either

[spoiler]Welcome to spall thunder![/spoiler]

• Upvote 10
medal

Does anyone know what the rounds were made of? was it a certain type of metal? or just whatever they could find. That could also make differences between the gun. I know later in the war, the metal was pretty bad quality.

medal medal medal

look at the armor on the IS4 and then look at the pen of the 88mm with standard and ACPR and compaire numbers its really simple.

Except there are 1000s of factors that effect pentrations... not so simple.

medal

The kwk 43 cannot pen the IS-4 even at point blank range. LoS thickness is not the same as effective armor.

284px-Projectil_deflection_effects.jpg

For example the KT has about 238mm LoS thickness on upper plate, but against pershing's HVAP it was over 400mm effectively.

That said, the Is-4 can not penetrate the KT from the front either

[spoiler]Welcome to spall thunder![/spoiler]

I appreciate this!

medal medal medal

Welcome to spall thunder!

*CLUNK*

*THUNK*

*CLONK*

King Tiger won't be able to penetrate IS-4 from the front.

likewise the IS-4 won't be able to penetrate the King Tiger from the front.

who will win such a battle will mostly depend on superior positioning and tactics.

• Upvote 13
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

squanto your picture is invalid... show us some testing data with the KWK 43 against extreme sloped armour plates which show, that the gun wasnt able to penetrate

it is less a gun problem than an ammunition problem

Edited by Guest

Bl-10 was over rated. It was a HUGE cannon that could wreck everything, but the practical usage for it was horrible. It was too long of a barrel. If i understand it correctly, that is why they didn't put those into full production.

medal medal medal

Soviet tanks had bad spalling, too, if I'm not mistaken.  It really will be Spall Thunder unless there's some unlockable spall liner upgrade.

• Upvote 2

Well there was kind of a reason that Allied tanks would often avoid head to head combat with a King Tiger and opt to send in aircraft instead to take it out, it was a very formidible opponent if mechanical issues didn't prevent it getting to the battlefield in the first place. But then there was also a good reason for the Jagdtiger being introduced with it's 128mm gun, namely to reliably kill Soviet heavies that the KT might have problems with. Maybe tank battles will require some sort of, hmmm what's the word? Oh yea 'teamwork'

• Upvote 5
medal medal medal medal

Well there was kind of a reason that Allied tanks would often avoid head to head combat with a King Tiger and opt to send in aircraft instead to take it out, it was a very formidible opponent if mechanical issues didn't prevent it getting to the battlefield in the first place. But then there was also a good reason for the Jagdtiger being introduced with it's 128mm gun, namely to reliably kill Soviet heavies that the KT might have problems with. Maybe tank battles will require some sort of, hmmm what's the word? Oh yea 'teamwork'

Yeah, i brought up the 128mm and everyone was like 'NO WAY 88 IS ENOUGH!"

medal medal medal