What gun did the German tiger 2 have on it historically? I've read that it had an 88mm, but it also had a 105mm which was used for later KT's.. And if it is an 88mm, how does that stand up to the is4's 122?

medal medal medal

The KT never used a 105mm. The KwK 46 never went into production. It is simply in WT for balance purposes. Plus, keep in mind, that just because a gun is of a higher caliber than another, doesn't make it better.

• Upvote 20
medal medal

Historically, it used the KwK 43: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KwK_43_L/71

There were plans to upgrade to a 10,5 cm gun, as well as making other improvements such as fuel injection for the engine, crew heating, autoloader mechanism for the gun, and stabilized gun and sights, but the war ended before the upgrade program began.

• Upvote 2

The KT never used a 105mm. The KwK 46 never went into production. It is simply in WT for balance purposes. Plus, keep in mind, that just because a gun is of a higher caliber than another, doesn't make it better.

I understand that higher doesnt mean better, BUT the 88 was only good for shermans which very LITTLE armor. Yeah they could pen them at range, but thats like shooting a shotgun at a waterbottle... I just feel it seems kind of odd.

medal medal medal

I understand that higher doesnt mean better, BUT the 88 was only good for shermans which very LITTLE armor. Yeah they could pen them at range, but thats like shooting a shotgun at a waterbottle... I just feel it seems kind of odd.

Really? You definitely played too much WOT if you believe that.

• Upvote 61
medal medal

Wha?  The KwK 43 could frontally kill any tank in the war, at long range.  It still had 165 mm of penetration at 1000 meters against a 30 degree sloped plate with its standard anti-tank round (which also had a small bursting charge designed to detonate after penetration to increase the probability of a knockout).  193 mm with APCR.

Edited by DogFoodLid
  • Upvote 24

do you know how huge an 88mm is? it was the primary flak gun used by the germans... the USAAF lost over 3000 planes to flak in 1945 alone... and they fly at 25,000 feet.

• Upvote 25
medal medal medal medal medal

wat.

bro do you even 88mm?

• Upvote 20
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Really? You definitely played too much WOT if you believe that.

Well it sure as hell wont do anything to an is4's armor...  that is where the 128 of the Jagdtiger would come in.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

Wha?  The KwK 43 could frontally kill any tank in the war, at long range.  It still had 165 mm of penetration at 1000 meters against a 30 degree sloped plate with its standard anti-tank round (which also had a small bursting charge designed to detonate after penetration to increase the probability of a knockout).  193 mm with APCR.

Sorry, what i meant is, In the last stages of the war, The allied nations too into account what the germans did, Angles and armor. The 88mm would soon become obsolete because of the armor that was being produced. I completely agree the 88 was a great gun from the beginning to the end of the war, BUT Tanks at the end of the war, were built to withstand the 88.

medal medal medal

Sorry, what i meant is, In the last stages of the war, The allied nations too into account what the germans did, Angles and armor. The 88mm would Soon™ become obsolete because of the armor that was being produced. I completely agree the 88 was a great gun from the beginning to the end of the war, BUT Tanks at the end of the war, were built to withstand the 88.

I'd be interested to hear which Allied tanks of WW2 had over 193 mm of effective frontal armor.

• Upvote 19

Sorry, what i meant is, In the last stages of the war, The allied nations too into account what the germans did, Angles and armor. The 88mm would Soon™ become obsolete because of the armor that was being produced. I completely agree the 88 was a great gun from the beginning to the end of the war, BUT Tanks at the end of the war, were built to withstand the 88.

2 isreali shermans with 105mm guns killed over three dozen T44 and T54 tanks... clearly the german 88 which was arguabbly one of the best guns produced would have been able to compete.FYI the M1 ABrams  main gun is made in germany, clearly they must make somthing of quality.

• Upvote 9

No, it couldnt. The 88 didn't pen everything it shot.... 

• Projectile weight: 10.4 kg (22.92 lbs)
  • Muzzle velocity: 1,000 m/s (3,281 ft/s)

Penetration figures established as average against a rolled homogenous armoured plate laid back 30 degrees from the vertical Range
m Penetration
mm
100m 202mm     500m 185mm     1000m 165mm     1500m 148mm    2000m 132mm      

Edited by TheRibbon
  • Upvote 7

tumblr-gifs-wtf-i16.gif

I´m sorry but the 88mm was feared by its enemies for its high penetration and range. The Tiger was able to knock out any tank before those were even able to get into firing range.

Damn WoT Logic doesn´t apply here

• Upvote 22
medal medal