Armo1000

The last remaining WW2 era British Aircraft carrier

INS Vikrant (R11) formerly HMS Hercules (R49)

INS_Vikrant_circa_1984_carrying_a_unique

INS Vikrant/HMS Herclues is a Majestic class aircraft carrier of the Indian Navy. she was ordered in 1943 by the royal navy and launched in 1945. she did not see any service in WW2 as was launched too late but was sold to the Indian Navy in 1957.She was commissioned as the first aircraft carrier of the Indian Navy. She played an important role in the during the Indo-Pakistan War of 1975 being part of Indian blockade.

In 1997 After her decommissioning Vikrant was to be preserved as a museum ship in Mumbai. however a lack of funding has prevented this from happening fully. She is open to the public on occasion but as of 2010 the Government of Maharashtra has been unable to find an industrial partner to operate the museum on a permanent long-term basis. In august 2013 she was considered to be scraped as she had become very difficult to maintain. On 3 December 2013 the Indian government decided to auction the ship.

It would be a real shame to see the last remaining WW2 era British carrier to be scraped or just left to rust. Too many British made ships of that era have been unnecessary scraped already and it would be historicity wrong to see another one slip into the scrap pile. I hope the best for the future of the ship.

79_big.jpg

the ship today

Vikrant_Museum_Ship.jpg

insvikrant.jpg

• Upvote 7

Shall we all put to and buy her? 

We could always bring her back to Britain and open her up as a privately funded museum ship haha. 

Good thought i would love to see her somewhere like Portsmouth. But it will probably never happen.

• Upvote 1

Good thought i would love to see her somewhere like Portsmouth. But it will probably never happen.

It's a shame. There's so many stupidly rich businessmen in Britain who waste their money on ridiculous things, all the while, pieces of history are discarded. 

HMS Dreadnought, HMS Argus, HMS Nelson, HMS King George V, HMS Vanguard, HMS Ark Royal. All iconic pieces of history that were scrapped like they were nothing. 

• Upvote 7
medal medal medal

It's a shame. There's so many stupidly rich businessmen in Britain who waste their money on ridiculous things, all the while, pieces of history are discarded. 

HMS Dreadnought, HMS Argus, HMS Nelson, HMS King George V, HMS Vanguard, HMS Ark Royal. All iconic pieces of history that were scrapped like they were nothing. 

could not agree more. with the exception of HMS Belfast the whole of the 20th centenary Royal Navy was pretty much scraped.

Britain was built on the RN and today we have nothing to show for it.  

• Upvote 3

HMS Warspite epitomizes this. Bloodied at Jutland, scoring the longest range naval gun hit in the med, most decorated warship involved in the world wars, on all sides I think. Sold for scrap, or at least they tried but the sea took her while under tow, warSPITE indeed.
  • Upvote 5

I'd rather her be in Devonport kekekek

medal medal medal medal medal

Shall we all put to and buy her? 

We could always bring her back to Britain and open her up as a privately funded museum ship haha. 

And they could moor her right beside the HMS Belfast on the Thames river in the middle of London

medal medal

The US is just as guilty! We scrapped the Enterprise! The ship was the epitome of our contribution to the Pacific theater. Then we went a nuked a fleet of our own retired ships and captured Japanese/German ships. Twice!

Would be such a shame if another one of the ships was turned for a quick buck. :/

• Upvote 3

Is the hole in the middle of the deck an elevator? Or just something put there after decommissioning so aircraft couldnt be launched?

Edited by itssmacks

Sadly money is > Nostalgia to governments.  That's alot of metal that could be turned into something more productive

The US is just as guilty! We scrapped the Enterprise! The ship was the epitome of our contribution to the Pacific theater. Then we went a nuked a fleet of our own retired ships and captured Japanese/German ships. Twice!

Would be such a shame if another one of the ships was turned for a quick buck. :/

We scrapped Essex too, my second favorite USN ship of the war. 

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Is the hole in the middle of the deck an elevator? Or just something put there after decommissioning so aircraft couldnt be launched?

I believe it's an aircraft elevator, might've been added/expanded when it was updated for modern aircraft by India though.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Nothing special about this hulk. It wasnt even completed until many years after the war and never saw service. It doesnt have any worthwhile significance for the british people, compared to the cost of maintaining this hulk as an exhibit. It has much more significance to the Indians, and they dont want it either.

Museum ships dont come cheap, They should at least either have clear-cut historical, technical or cultural significance. This thing has neither for the british people.

Edited by Agentpony
medal medal medal

I believe it's an aircraft elevator, might've been added/expanded when it was updated for modern aircraft by India though.

They had elevators in WWII. 

medal medal medal

It is an elevator. During WWII aircraft elevators were first in the centre of the ship. They later shifted them to the sides as more experience got gained with how to design a carrier.

medal medal medal medal

I know not many people will agree with me on this, but there is something profound about a warship being scrapped, ie the steel from these ships may end up in the steel that builds skyscrapers, bridges, hospitals, almost like something created to destroy is redeeming itself and building instead. I don't like seeing history scrapped anymore than anyone else here, but there is always a bright side to look at.

medal

hopefully we wil lsee this thing in WT when naval forces gets around.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

And they could moor her right beside the HMS Belfast on the Thames river in the middle of London

She wouldn't get down the River Thames. HMS Belfast has to sit to one side of the central channel for a reason. As for saving other warships we should have saved HMS Vanguard, saving HMS Warspite would have been nice but by the end of WW2 she was on her last legs and to be honest it would have cost a fortune to get her back in good condition.

could not agree more. with the exception of HMS Belfast the whole of the 20th centenary Royal Navy was pretty much scraped.

Not quite there are still a few 20th Century Royal Navy warships around there are even a few ww2 era ships around.   

medal medal medal medal medal medal

its all a shame but Britain could rather put that money to keeping her Vulcan in the air(if they were to spend that money on a museum). and yes it would all be nice for Britain to have that ship but its an Indian ship.

but we must also realize that things have there time. and that the older they get the more they cost. with no real economic gain or military.

ps if i had the money i would have a whole lot of old things that i would restore and run just for the sentimental value

also remember that these things cost the people money in the form of tax. so every time our county does do something like save an old ship we pay for it with nothing much except a wee pride and sentiment.

and this is all really sad but its just the way of the world.