t___a

IS-1 - Questions, Information, Gameplay

Not going to lie, compared to the T-34-85 D5T, the IS1's 85mm gun is made of sheetrock. I've had it knocked out by AI tanks HE after 2 hits in the middle of a match and since I didn't have parts yet (AB btw) I pretty much had to play "Ram the Jagpz IV 70 off the cliff at Ash river". It was actually pretty funny watching him bouncing around before he blew up on impact at the bottom.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

Every time I get pen'd, my tan dies from ammo explosions, even if it's only green. Like 100% of my deaths in this thing have been ammo rack detonations,e ven with very low ammo damage.

Is it bugged?

medal medal medal medal

Kek, I think your ammo should explode anytime a sharpnel goes into it or a shell explodes near it (or goes through). It's a bomb exploding inside a barrel of powder... 

You can reduce the amount of ammo you carries, this will reduce the chance of you being hit on the ammo rack. (Use the amount you think you can use in a match, for me it's less than 30 and more than 10~15).

medal medal medal

Look, I'm at the IS-1, this means i know how the game works, normally.

But this is the only tank in the game that detonates, for me, when anything even tickles the ammo rack. It seems like the central rounds have  100% chance to detonate when hit while most other tanks have a much lower chance.

medal medal medal medal

I LOVE this tank! Why? It drives so god damn fast backwards! Which means it is awesome for peekaboo fights, you know where you hide behind something, drive forwards, shoot, reverse and hide again.

I also drive Panthers... Medium tanks, you know? They are so slow in reverse, you want to get out and push! Turn around a corner with something nasty behind it? You are dead.

medal medal medal medal medal medal

The IS-1 currently feels like it's not worth playing. The 85mm D5-T in particular feels utterly toothless, being unable to reliably penetrate Tigers and Panthers, and when it does, the BR-365K ammo rarely detonates ammo racks when it hits them. This combined with the fact that the IS-1 often gets placed against King Tigers, Panther G's and Jagdpanthers make it a pretty garbage tank to use atm.

Is it just me, or this tanks feels like combination of T-34-85's firepower and KV-2 mobility?

Its far more mobile than a KV2

+ Does 16 KM reverse, Thats is twice as fast as the T34-85.

+ Turret traverse is better than KV2..which believe it or not has faster traverse than the Tiger H1 and Panther D !!

+ Its armor is far better than a T34-85 and is a lot or forgiving.

IS-1 worst tank I played in WT, so far! 

And don't know why the hell I'm 99% in battles with BR 6.7? 
And not 2-3 6.7 tanks, 7-10 6.7 tanks in enemy team. I can't do a shit. 
If try to flank them, I get killed tryin'! Enemy kill me while I try to approach closer. 

Armor is joke, if I hull down, they pen easily my turret. So I spend more time in battle repairing my gun than I fire if 1st shot don't kill me. 

Something need to be changed, lower BR of IS-1 or pen buff! 

• Upvote 2

IS-1 worst tank I played in WT, so far! 

And don't know why the hell I'm 99% in battles with BR 6.7? 
And not 2-3 6.7 tanks, 7-10 6.7 tanks in enemy team. I can't do a ****. 
If try to flank them, I get killed tryin'! Enemy kill me while I try to approach closer. 

Armor is joke, if I hull down, they pen easily my turret. So I spend more time in battle repairing my gun than I fire if 1st shot don't kill me. 

Something need to be changed, lower BR of IS-1 or pen buff! 

You do have APCR option that Tigers do not and this things absolutely clubs lower tier tanks often.

I love using the IS-1 and it is currently my main tank for fighting in Tank RB. If you get to a good spot to camp a stretch of land you can sit there and hit anything and be gone by reversing around a corner you were using as cover before they can even really react. It works great for waiting for dumb M18 players to jet around the corner, and on tiger 1's that don't see you, a shot into the side is quite satisfactory. This cat and mouse strategy I have found quite useful. Even so, for a heavy tank it seems sometimes like the armor is paper thin, and angling never works it seems. So I try to avoid getting hit at all costs. its generally a good idea.

medal

IS-1 suffers some issues with its ammo rack placements. In the screenshot I posted a shell went in, only knocked one crew member, but because there was one shell behind the fuel tank the whole tank detonated.

You have to take 20 shells just to avoid this glaring weakness.

shot 2018.06.27 18.04.46.jpg

shot 2018.06.27 18.16.59.jpg

Edited by comeandseevx

My overall conclusion on the IS-1 is that it is a fairly mediocre tank.

1) Armor layout is not adequate to withstand most shots that are being sent your way below 500 yards. Even tanks like the Panzer 4, M-10, etc. can punch through your armor turret/hull armor with ease.

2) Ammo racks/one shot too easily. Almost every shot against this tank is a one-shot kill. Shots through the turret explode inside and take out all 4 crew members. Frontal shots penetrate and detonate small ammo racks mounted behind fuel tanks in the front of the tank unless you take less than 20 rounds.

3) Mobility is subpar. It's a heavy tank, duh. It goes in reverse fairly fast.

4) Gun is adequate. You can take out most tanks at 5.3 (including Tigers) frontally without much of an issue.

The T-34-85 is much better than the IS-1 because of the vast difference in terms of mobility. The T-34-85 is like a race car with the same firepower and it's more survivable when you get hit.

BR 5.3 is fine for this tank though. It's just kind of in a weird place. It's not even remotely close to a Tiger Tank.

Man I am loving the IS-1 (working on earning all the camos). Enjoyed this bloodbath over the course of 11 matches recently. I agree that most of its hard stats are mediocre, but its fast reverse speed and glorious BR-365A Tsar Bomba shell must fit my playstyle.

Screenshot_20181012-061513.png

medal medal

I've just got the IS-1 after 2 months of playing and love it, in 2019 it is BR 5.3 and seems well suited to it.  Until I get some other tanks of similar rank like the Tiger or Panther I can't say for sure if it is OP but it is the first tank ranked above BR 4.0 that I usually have a decent battle in.  Allied (in arcade mode) to my T34 - 85 which is better on some maps I have a nice 5.3 lineup now.

My guess is the Tiger I's should perhaps be down rated or the IS-1 should be a 5.7 as I can kill anything I come across in a 1 on 1 battle.  Excellent gun, reverse speed and armor what's not to like??

The IS-1 is everything I would have liked any of the KV's I've tried so far to be at their ratings but every single one of them seems hampered by something like a weak gun or super long reload speed, this is balanced in the way a heavy tank should be for it's rating.  Not saying I don't occasionally get one shot by another IS or tank destroyer but it happens whatever you take out if you get caught in the wrong position or by a lucky shot.  It fits my general play styles really well and is a great all rounder for sniping or closer engagements. 

21 minutes ago, No1Spank said:

I've just got the IS-1 after 2 months of playing and love it, in 2019 it is BR 5.3 and seems well suited to it.  Until I get some other tanks of similar rank like the Tiger or Panther I can't say for sure if it is OP but it is the first tank ranked above BR 4.0 that I usually have a decent battle in.  Allied (in arcade mode) to my T34 - 85 which is better on some maps I have a nice 5.3 lineup now.

My guess is the Tiger I's should perhaps be down rated or the IS-1 should be a 5.7 as I can kill anything I come across in a 1 on 1 battle.  Excellent gun, reverse speed and armor what's not to like??

The IS-1 is everything I would have liked any of the KV's I've tried so far to be at their ratings but every single one of them seems hampered by something like a weak gun or super long reload speed, this is balanced in the way a heavy tank should be for it's rating.  Not saying I don't occasionally get one shot by another IS or tank destroyer but it happens whatever you take out if you get caught in the wrong position or by a lucky shot.  It fits my general play styles really well and is a great all rounder for sniping or closer engagements. 

Is-1 is known to be a very good tank.

It has decent mobility and a great gun with fast reload and armour that is the best all around armour on any tank you will find around that BR.

Only the Jumbo has better frontal armour.

Tiger 1 is somewhat more mobile and has a gun that is on par with the 85mm.

But the 88 has much worse slope penetration and better penetration on flat armour  german 88 has about 160mm pen at 100m vs soviet 85mm has about 140mm pen at 100m.

The tiger also has 8 degrees of gundepression vs 3-4 degrees (i think) on the is-1, which make the tiger easier to play one certain maps where it can be hull down.

Tiger 1 has also much worse armour profile and can be killed from the side with some spaa.

And angled tiger can be a hard nut to crack, but on the end Is-1 has better overall armour with fewer weakpoints that also has thicker armour.

I have said for a long time now that tiger 1 would be fine in 5.3, but some people are against it because of ill formed and prooved arguments.

The is-1 could be 5.7 as i see it.

medal

On 06/02/2019 at 12:00, Turra said:

The is-1 could be 5.7 as i see it. 

With the current ammo performance sure.

If the shell penetrated around 120mm at 100m like it should, 5.3 or even 5.0 would be appropriate.

Edited by KillaKiwi
medal medal medal medal medal