t___a

IS-1 - Questions, Information, Gameplay

My IS-2 gets taken out by 88s on the front when I'm caught sitting square. Let's not forget that the Russian heavies won't turn in place quick enough to deflect a shot like a medium.

medal

Yeah sure, Tiger DOES have 130 pen, but at 10 meters so you can stop right there.

Beating down any IS /1/2/3 with tiger is more than problem and need of an mircale, since when you get spoted in tiger [and most of the time you do] you end in 1 hit to anything since its made of ammo.

IS-1 is NOT useless more than a whole german Heavy line.

medal

Plus, you're probably from that other game, but in WT internal systems are modeled, so if you want to successfully cripple a tank, you need some extra penetration to go through the internal stuff, just enough penetration isn't going to do anything (thus the no damage hits)

Ever heard of overpenetration? And APHE works on internal detonation, not penetration power...

Plus, you're probably from that other game, but in WT internal systems are modeled, so if you want to successfully cripple a tank, you need some extra penetration to go through the internal stuff, just enough penetration isn't going to do anything (thus the no damage hits)

gaijin demonstrating how module damage works

Notice it's in all directions, regardless of apparent "extra penetration", because APHE is used

PS: I'm from WOT, great observation skills. Did you bother looking at my signature? :facepalm:

Also the armor is never flat on Soviet tanks.

Except the driver hatch, lower front plate (on IS-1), turret cheecks and commander hatch?

Edited by Tomogaso

Ever heard of overpenetration? And APHE works on internal detonation, not penetration power...

gaijin demonstrating how module damage works

Notice it's in all directions, regardless of apparent "extra penetration", because APHE is used

The Dev specifically said that all models have arbor values in the opening days of tanks.
Over penetration only occurs when the armor is WAY too thin, which obviously is not the case. Also APCBCHE rounds don't have over penetration problems. If you don't have some extra penetration, you won't be able to destroy more than 1 component.
medal medal medal medal

Again this isn't that other game, keep shooting at commanders hatch won't get you anywhere.
Go ahead and try to shoot at the drivers hatch at 1000ft in RB.

I don't think the lower glacis was vertical.
medal medal medal medal

Yeah sure, Tiger DOES have 130 pen, but at 10 meters so you can stop right there.

Beating down any IS /1/2/3 with tiger is more than problem and need of an mircale, since when you get spoted in tiger [and most of the time you do] you end in 1 hit to anything since its made of ammo.

IS-1 is NOT useless more than a whole german Heavy line.

I didn't say it was more useless than the germans...why does this have to degrade in a GER vs USSR thing? I acknowledged in the end that it sounds like all heavies are more and more useless...

The Dev specifically said that all models have arbor values in the opening days of tanks.
Over penetration only occurs when the armor is WAY too thin, which obviously is not the case. Also APCBCHE rounds don't have over penetration problems. If you don't have some extra penetration, you won't be able to destroy more than 1 component.

You do damage with APHE rounds regardless of the amount of extra pen, you just need to pen.

Again this isn't that other game, keep shooting at commanders hatch won't get you anywhere.
Go ahead and try to shoot at the drivers hatch at 1000ft in RB.

Actually an APHE round exploding over the crews heads does quite the damage. Did you bother to watch said dev video?

I don't need to shoot drivers hatch, I only need to not hit the mid plate or the gun mantle, which is less than 50% of the tanks front. Sound like good odds to me.

Also, 1000ft sounds so far away, just say 330m (or 1 and a half tick) , which isn't at all that far.

I don't think the lower glacis was vertical.

It's near vertical (100mm at 30deg=115mm)

Surprisingly the same amount of pen the tiger has at 500m

Edited by Tomogaso

I didn't say it was more useless than the germans...why does this have to degrade in a GER vs USSR thing? I acknowledged in the end that it sounds like all heavies are more and more useless...

You do damage with APHE rounds regardless of the amount of extra pen, you just need to pen.

Actually an APHE round exploding over the crews heads does quite the damage. Did you bother to watch said dev video?
I don't need to shoot drivers hatch, I only need to not hit the mid plate or the gun mantle, which is less than 50% of the tanks front. Sound like good odds to me.
Also, 1000ft sounds so far away, just say 330m (or 1 and a half tick) , which isn't at all that far.

It's near vertical (100mm at 30deg=115mm)
Surprisingly the same amount of pen the tiger has at 500m

Yes, but:
1. APHE also had blast radius modeled, it's not like you're throwing a nuke into a tank. Superficial pen won't do much damage
2. For Pz4H, APCBCHE rounds can't penetrate the front of IS1 at all. I tried shooting at the drivers hatch at point blank range, target undamaged.
3. 1000ft is 300m, and it isn't exactly easy to hit the drivers hatch at that distance
4. Again, nothing is right behind the front plate so not within the blast radius. Edited by Artruis
medal medal medal medal

My IS-2 gets taken out by 88s on the front when I'm caught sitting square. Let's not forget that the Russian heavies won't turn in place quick enough to deflect a shot like a medium.

Here's my first match after posting:

I'm angled, facing tiger at around 200m.

First shot, goes into my front (I'm guessing shot trap below turret mantle), hits turret ring,damages gun, kills gunner and loader, and sets me on fire.

4. Again, nothing is right behind the front plate so not within the blast radius.

(notice the engine "isn't right behind the front plate so the blast radius doesn't matter")

You were saying?

Edited by Tomogaso

Here's my first match after posting:

I'm angled, facing tiger at around 200m.

First shot, goes into my front (I'm guessing shot trap below turret mantle), hits turret ring,damages gun, kills gunner and loader, and sets me on fire.
(notice the engine isn't "right behind the front plate so the blast radius doesn't matter")

You were saying?

From what, panther?

Also I don't think shot trap is modeled, go shoot at the shot trap of the panther in test drive, won't do anything.
medal medal medal medal

From what, panther?

Also I don't think shot trap is modeled, go shoot at the shot trap of the panther in test drive, won't do anything.

Try reading the "X killed you" text written over the lenght of the picture :facepalm:

Well he didn't hit my drivers hatch, since the driver survived, nor my commander hatch since he's alive.

Where could it hit then, Sherlock?

PS: The shot trap doesn't have to be modelled as a separate part, since : "Shot traps are locations on the exterior of an armored vehicle where impacting shells are deflected to a weaker or vulnerable point in the armor, or simply guided to hit the vehicle, instead of bouncing or skimming off. Shot traps are undesirable features in armored vehicle design."

Edited by Tomogaso

The Tiger is more then capable of handling the IS-1.  If you think the IS-1 is OP, its likely more of a L2P issue then the vehicle itself. 

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal

The Tiger is more then capable of handling the IS-1.  If you think the IS-1 is OP, its likely more of a L2P issue then the vehicle itself. 

How do you view the rest of the low-ish tier heavies, before the IS-2?

How do you view the rest of the low-ish tier heavies, before the IS-2?

The KV-85 and IS-1 are capable vehicles, the IS-1 more so then the 85, however both are at a disadvantage when facing a Tiger tank driven by a competent player, more so when the Tiger gets it's issues fixed.  The KV-1's suffer from either being the same BR as the T-34, or a higher BR, while being arguably inferior to them.   

Edited by Unit757
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal

more so when the Tiger gets it's issues fixed

you mean IF... which i somehow doubt...

medal medal medal medal

you mean IF... which i somehow doubt...

Gaijin are a gaming company above all, and they want to make money.  Broken games do not make money, they WILL fix it, it just may take longer then most would like unfortunately. 

medal medal medal

KV 85 and IS 1 are terrible. i just want to leave T3 battles faster and try the is 2 out. Nothing seems to work at t3. I have yet to try su85m subcaliber tho. But the lack of turret is bad for my taste. Tiger vs IS 1 i take tiger any day.

And about is 2. is there really a big diffirence between is 2 and is 2 obr 44? Are they considerably diffirent? How is their opposition in comparison to each other? one is 6 br and the other is 7 br.

Edited by Max__Damage
medal medal

I'm operating the IS-1 right now: about three-quarters of the way to IS-2, and I feel pretty comfortable battling Tigers, to be honest. Panthers are an exercise of frustration, but I am pretty good at exploiting player errors so I can handle them, and Jagdpanthers are simply impossible.

Edited by LeLavish
medal medal

[attachment=95880:War Thunder_20140830044821.jpg]

[attachment=95881:War Thunder_20140830044814.jpg]

Here are two screenshots of both the IS-1 and the Tiger I, both of them are manned by crews that are maxed out on everything except machine gunnery, bow machine gun reloading and bow machine gun fire. Both crews are aces with these vehicles....

Personally, I prefer the IS-1 over the Tiger I even if the Tiger I wasn't a bugged death trap. Its turret rotation is faster, it reloads faster, it uses APHE ammunition and it is better armoured all around. Its really slow speed is the only thing about the IS-1 that really bugs me sometimes.... >_>

IS-1 is not a bad tank in my opinion. It's a pretty good tank to use when you are defending a position or covering teammates as they move on ahead of you, my experiences with it are good so far. = )

Edited by *ACR1990
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

it uses APHE ammunition

Panzergranate 39

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/Panzergranate.svg/433px-Panzergranate.svg.png

1: Fuze
2: Tracer
3: Driving Band
4: Explosive Filler
5: Penetrator
6: Soft Cap
7: Ballistic Cap

and since this are plastic explosives... it could be even more potent then the IS-1s

medal medal medal medal

Panzergranate 39

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/1a/Panzergranate.svg/433px-Panzergranate.svg.png

1: Fuze
2: Tracer
3: Driving Band
4: Explosive Filler
5: Penetrator
6: Soft Cap
7: Ballistic Cap

and since this are plastic explosives... it could be even more potent then the IS-1s

Sure doesn't feel that way, I will admit it has been a while since I bothered to take the Tiger I out, but I recall having to be a lot more precise with my shots with it than with the IS-1. When it came to the IS-1, just one decently placed shot into the side of almost any tank and boom! Instant barbecue. = P

Thanks for the information though. = )

Edited by *ACR1990

Sure doesn't feel that way, I will admit it has been a while since I bothered to take the Tiger I out, but I recall having to be a lot more precise with my shots with it than with the IS-1. When it came to the IS-1, just one decently placed shot into the side of almost any tank and boom! Instant barbecue. = P

Thanks for the information though. = )

Parden me for jumping in but I was wondering, isn't the shells fired by the Tigers gun actually smaller in broad size or whatever it is then the actual size of the shells fired by the IS1s gun? Tigers shells do better at penetrating targets even at very long ranges, but the IS1's gun with its larger size does more hard hitting damage when it scores a solid penetrating hit, like those ones you've gotten into several tanks sides? So, when the Tiger hits a tank in the side, it can do hard damage plus kill it, but the IS1s gun.....well, when it hits the meaning of 'hits like a mule' comes to my mind.

Parden me for jumping in but I was wondering, isn't the shells fired by the Tigers gun actually smaller in broad size or whatever it is then the actual size of the shells fired by the IS1s gun? Tigers shells do better at penetrating targets even at very long ranges, but the IS1's gun with its larger size does more hard hitting damage when it scores a solid penetrating hit, like those ones you've gotten into several tanks sides? So, when the Tiger hits a tank in the side, it can do hard damage plus kill it, but the IS1s gun.....well, when it hits the meaning of 'hits like a mule' comes to my mind.

I wouldn't know, i'm not really an expert on armoured fighting vehicles at all. xD 

It seems to be that way in the game though, the Tiger I's default ammunition has better penetration than the ammunition the IS-1 carries, but like I said. I feel like I don't have to worry about being on-the-dot with my IS-1 like I did with the Tiger I.

Both tanks have their advantages, I just like the advantages the IS-1 has over the Tiger I more. xD 

I feel like the more appropriate saying involving being shot by the IS-1 is more like "getting hit by a ton of bricks." lol

Edited by *ACR1990
  • Upvote 1

I wouldn't know, i'm not really an expert on armoured fighting vehicles at all. xD 

It seems to be that way in the game though, the Tiger I's default ammunition has better penetration than the ammunition the IS-1 carries, but like I said. I feel like I don't have to worry about being on-the-dot with my IS-1 like I did with the Tiger I.

Both tanks have their advantages, I just like the advantages the IS-1 has over the Tiger I more. xD 

I feel like the more appropriate saying involving being shot by the IS-1 is more like "getting hit by a ton of bricks." lol

Got the tiger a few days ago.

I find the 88mm amazing! Oneshots everything on the side, cripples any medium tank frontally. A bit trouble with IS-1 frontally, but nothing other tanks don't have.

I actually have a bit of an oposite view regarding the IS 85mm; it seems less destructive to me xD

But you know what they say about opinions...

Anyway, I feel the tiger is MUCH better currently:

-faster

-more reliable armor (If Im angled- I'm angled and I can bounce reliably. It gets oneshot on the side 100% of the time but if you have an enemy on your side in a heavy you're screwed anyway...)

-better depression

-bigger calibre

-sexy

It's still 80% stock for me and I get 3-4 kills per match now on average. I'm satisfied but the IS-1 needs a buff imho.

Edited by Tomogaso