t___a

IS-1 - Questions, Information, Gameplay

One you start fighting tanks with the 88mm, any Russian tank is going to be one-shotted pretty much every time they are hit. Until you get up to like the IS-3, where you might survive.

Drive backwards. Rear armor is the best armor in the game. I can't tell you how many times I've bounced off the rear of an enemy tank with my Tiger II... Same thing goes for the Tiger II though, I drove the Tiger II backwards an entire game and bounced so many shots and survived much longer. The only time I play Ground Forces anymore is when I want a good laugh because its so hilariously bad. Plus flying the Me-410 B6/R3 and getting multi strikes on enemy planes is a lot of fun too until you get eviscerated by AAA.

Edited by Owni
medal medal medal medal

The IS-1 is a hard tank to use.

Weak gun, weak armor, poor speed and 1 spawn only makes it a horrible tank to use when the T-34 can offer 2 spawn, better mobility for almost the same armor.

I personally researched it last, using the T-34/85 as my "grind" tank until the T-44.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

It must be the Russian Bias, huh? Jokes aside, It gets better with the Is-2 though, I kind of never even put the Is-1 into service after I played it in CBT, dreadful compared to the Tiger, or even the Panther. I just used the D-5T to get to the Is-2. Edited by iSnuffles
  • Upvote 1

Ok well now I feel better. And I hope everyone likes my new way of constructive criticism posts instead of anger filled rage filled post ( Morty knows what I mean lol). It is good to know that it was not just me and that other people feel the same way about the IS-1. It kind of sucks though because it  was a really tough tank in real life if I am not mistaken.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

The only advantage it has over the t34 is better reverse speed, haha (-14 compared to -8/-9)

IS 1 does have a slightly higher chance to bounce shots though. Thats not saying much, but it has saved me sometimes

• Upvote 1
medal

IS-1 is a great tank IMO,better than the KV-85 and T-34-85 despite the 1 spawn issue,don´t rush, think your moves and beware of Panthers,cause the Tiger is 1 shot kill with that gun(weakspots)

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal

It must be the Russian Bias, huh?

Ain't because 2-3 tanks in the soviet line suck that "russian bias" doesn't exist.

The IS-1 is the most underwhelming tank of all soviet tanks: It's not better than the KV-85. Arguably, it is worse: Worse speed, worse profile, more armour but faces better guns; It should have  similar BR to the KV-85 but the 85 got a reduced BR for no good reason previously.

medal medal medal medal

in 2000m metres or more in the IS-2 your not going to get killed, that's why i grind my tanks with the so called "broken" (T-34-85 (D 5T)) as the German fan boys say

medal medal medal

I think the same geniuses that run the IS-1 and KV-85 also drive Tiger I.

They're all hopeless tanks and need major rebalancing.

medal medal

I think the same geniuses that run the IS-1 and KV-85 also drive Tiger I.
They're all hopeless tanks and need major rebalancing.

More like all meds need to lose their artillery OR their second spawn.

medal medal medal medal

More like all meds need to lose their artillery OR their second spawn.

Even if the spawn and artillery issues were equalized across all classes, I would still opt for the mediums or TDs in most cases.  Mobility > firepower/armor in WT.

Only exceptions would be the Tiger II, only cause the Panther is woefully overmatched at T4.

medal medal

Mobility>armour is mostly due to armour being balanced so the front gets penned by every other tank. And how easy weakspots are to hit.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

Mobility>armour is mostly due to armour being balanced so the front gets penned by every other tank. And how easy weakspots are to hit.

Well, this was true historically as well.  So called heavy tanks had more armor but for practical purposes it didn't matter much ultimately.  This is why they were eventually phased out.  The Americans never even bothered with them and the British to a very limited extent.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

Greetings fellow tankers.

So I've had the IS-1 for some time now.  I rarely play it now, since I noticed I can't manage 30% of the kills I get in my T-34-58.

Drawbacks:

1.The armor is useless in arcade, and easy to pen in historical/FRB (apparently, because 75mm's regularly pen me frontally, angled or not)

2.The turret is paper.

3.And the gun itself is the same as on the SU/T-34 85mm variants. It doesn't even get different ammo.

4.The gun depression is horrible, which is a given.

5.Its slower and less agile than medium tanks.

6.No artillery.

7.Big fat shot trap beneath the turret to guarantee anyone who shoots the lower angle of the mantle will get a good penetration+driver kill+turret jam.

Benefits:

1.Slightly better armor than it's lighter counterparts.

2.Better at long ranges, maybe? Like on ONE map?

So what justifies only 1 spawn in relation to the T-34-85/Su-85's 2 spawns? I'm slower and bulkier with the same RoF and slightly more effective armor.

Is there any reason to play it in the current build at all? Even the KV-85 seems better atm.

Are the devs aware of this? I undertand it's currently part of the bigger problem (heavies being obsolete) Is it ever gonna get fixed?

Edited by Tomogaso

I dont like it that much easier. Heavy tanks have proven themselves to be really ineffective in AB, since you will always find and hit their weakspots. But i really enjoy my KV-85 in RB/SB in Hull down. IS1 is better armored, so i think it should be doing okay. But they are quite a big target, thus easy to hit and really vulnerable on the sides and their backs. You really need to watch your position and distance to your enemy, but pen-wise you are at an all time disadvantage to your german counterparts.
Fazit: It's actually not that much of good tank, As long as mediums are so massively favored

Edited by Esox202

all heavies of the game should have br bumped down.... well IS's past 2 should get higher since they have everything on their side.

that way playing heavy would feel like it and it wouls solve the ``why doesnt it have 2 spawn or medium having 2 spawn ect`` i think :dntknw:

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

In RB the front of the IS1 is unmanageable by tiger or Pz4H unless the Pz4H is using APCR round firing at point blank range at the drivers hatch, while T34-85 can penetrate the front of the tiger easily. The IS1 should be fighting panthers, but right now it's 1.3br lower.
medal medal medal medal

News flash:

All the single spawn tanks are useless.

Single spawn makes about 1/3 of the tech tree non-viable.

• Upvote 2
medal medal

In RB the front of the IS1 is unmanageable killed by tiger or Pz4H unless the Pz4H is using APCR round firing at point blank range at the drivers hatch any part of the tank, while T34-85 can penetrate the front of the tiger easily. The IS1 should be fighting panthers, but right now it's 1.3br lower.

You are kidding, right?

You're honestly saying the 88 can't pen the IS1 frontally?

Tiger pen @100m: 125mm

IS-1 front hull armor:120mm at the strongest flat point

IS-1 front turret armor:100mm

The weakspots are less...

Also the 75mm apcr round has 124mm pen at 500m, so it's not as much point blank as a mid/long-range engagement.

Do you even math?

Edited by Tomogaso

You are kidding, right?

You're honestly saying the 88 can't pen the IS1 frontally?

The tigers 88 have pen value of 130mm. So far the only successful attempt of my penetrating IS1 frontally is using 75mm APCR with 150mm pen, and that was shooting at the drivers hatch. 130mm of pen isn't going to defeat the IS1 from the front from any reasonable distance. Yet both T34-85 and IS1 can kill tiger from the front easily. Edited by Artruis
medal medal medal medal

Also the armor is never flat on Soviet tanks.
Plus, you're probably from that other game, but in WT internal systems are modeled, so if you want to successfully cripple a tank, you need some extra penetration to go through the internal stuff, just enough penetration isn't going to do anything (thus the no damage hits)
medal medal medal medal