t___a

IS-1 - Questions, Information, Gameplay

In my Panzer IV It doesn't seem to make a difference when I load less ammo (I usually get ammo racked anyway) so I load full, even if I don't need it

medal medal

Someone did tests and got ammo racked with ZERO shells aboard, so... carrying less ammo is just uke magic.

link to the test video/thread ?

medal medal medal

Well even if you have 0 shells doesnt mean you dont have ammo aboard.. still a bunch of small arms ammo aboard...

medal medal medal medal

So I have been playing with the IS-1 and I noticed that I always get 1 shotted by people who aim at my front turret part.

Many times, I dont even die from explosion or fire, but from an entire crew knock out from 1 shot.

But I cannot accept the face that shooting to front turret (100+mm armor right?) could instantly kill my entire crew.

Since the same turret is used by the KV-85 and both IS-2 version, I am not sure if I want to continue with the russians.

Am I correct and is it just an extremely weak turret, or is it a bug?

I just own'd an IS-1 with my 57mm ZiS-4Mthfkr cannon. APCR went right trough his hull and either set him on fire or killed his crew.

Edited by LargeFeline

I heard they didnt model the front of the turrets armor correctly yet. 

Well, the IS-1 was extremely cramped.

Ha, yeah.  The IS-1 should require the player to angle the turret correctly to begin the reload process.  Haven't driven one personally but I'm sure Gaijin didn't model that giant weakness.

• Upvote 7

Haha, no, they didn't.

Well, if it is true they didnt model it correctly, I have no interest to continue with the IS-1/IS-2 tanks until it is fixed.

Very unplayable atm.

Ha, yeah.  The IS-1 should require the player to angle the turret correctly to begin the reload process.  Haven't driven one personally but I'm sure Gaijin didn't model that giant weakness.

This weakness was only present on the IS-2 mod. 1943 with the A-19 cannon, which isn't in the game.

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Issue still persists. WHAT'S WRONG? Is-1 is ALWAYS one-shot ammo or crew killed. Always turret, always ammo blow or whole crew killed while tiger gets 3 shots and it still works. FIX THIS

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

I give up playing IS-1 until its fixed... Getting one shot kill all the times is a little bit frustrating! =X
BTW my T-34's are doing pretty well! ;)

oh god........everyone says the IS-1 is the tank which gets one-shot most frequently.........everyone......

I think its broken 

• Upvote 1

I give up with IS-1 too but it's broken after the CBT because I was playing it earlier and it was good. While IS-1 sucks because it's bugged, T-34-85 is very good choice for grinding you-are-frag named 122mm D-25T of IS-2 :)

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

oh god........everyone says the IS-1 is the tank which gets one-shot most frequently.........everyone......

I think its broken 

unfornately it is... =(

I think its like the Tiger in close beta, a hit in gunner-sight=instant death.....and tiger has been fixed........ IS-1 haven't.......hope they are working on IS-1

Wow people complaining about the tiger tanking mantlet shots.  It doesn't.  Besides the side armor it's the last place I'd want to be shot.  I don't have the IS1, but I wouldn't be surprised it's turret armor didn't work either.  I don't think many tanks do, if at all.

medal medal medal

I think its like the Tiger in close beta, a hit in gunner-sight=instant death.....and tiger has been fixed........ IS-1 haven't.......hope they are working on IS-1

Just had a match in my Tiger where I was shooting an IS turret. Three times full in the face, no damage whatsoever.

Don't know what the complaining is about but it seems to work just fine for me....

medal

Just had a match in my Tiger where I was shooting an IS turret. Three times full in the face, no damage whatsoever.

Don't know what the complaining is about but it seems to work just fine for me....

Get a IS-1 before talking plz.

• Upvote 1

I think nothings wrong with the turret. I mean if we speaking "historical accurate" perspective.

For example in wartime, the german cews was trained to aim for the turret, (front "cheeks"-> i mean not the gun mantlet, nor the gun, but the surface next to the mantlet on the turret front (both sides) ) Especially the vehickle crews, that operated afvs with the 75mm L/48 versions of main armaments was trained to do that. There is a lot of pictures of the internet showing knocked out IS tanks with turret hits.

In short: The german guns was capable of knocking out the IS 1 and 2 tanks (Also the KV85) with turret hits, when they used 75mm L48 (Or some cases L46 if we speaking panzerabwehrkanone crews with PAK 40)  guns or above.

Have a nice day!

Ps.: I just quote this from another site: "crews were instructed to aim at the turret center. German battle reports indicate that the tactic of firing at IS tank turret fronts was widely pursued, with many reported kills of Stalin tanks by 75mm penetrations of the gunshield."

Also: "In March 1944, firing tests were conducted with a 76.2mm gun Zis-3 firing at an IS-2 tank from 500-600 m. The tank's armor was penetrated from all sides of the tank. Whilst while most of the projectiles did not penetrate the armour completely, they created major splintering and fregmentation inside the turret. This explains the considerable losses of IS-85 and IS-122 tanks during the Winter-Spring of 1944."

medal medal

Well I have been grinding my way up both tank tech trees and am into rank 4 in each. Now, I have to say that heavy tanks are no where near as useful as medium tanks thanks to their respawn and arty. But most heavy tanks I can still do fairly well in by playing a bit more cautious. I love the Tiger and have a blast in it thanks to it's armor/gun combo. But the IS-1 on the other hand seems to be a real tird of a tank. I really don't get it because it has better armor in the turret and the same 100mm front hull armor but it is at much better angles which should make it harder to kill. But I find that this is actually opposite the truth in War Thunder. I am always one shot from the front whenever I take out the IS-1. I really want to like this heavy but I just can't seem to do anything in it before I am exploded by some other tank. 

So my question is it is really as bad as it seems to me? Or am I just having a case of bad luck in it. I literally only have a couple games in it where i have multiple kills. Heck I struggle to even get one kill most games. Why does it seem like the armor figures are not right? Even if I angle my tank to increase it's effectiveness it just gets blown through by most shots. I just find the Tiger to be much better at tanking shells and dishing out damage. I think I can take more damage in my T-34-85 than I can in the IS-1 and something is not right with that.

• Upvote 2
medal medal