t___a

IS-1 - Questions, Information, Gameplay

yenMBOs.jpg

The IS tank series began with the development of the KV-13, which began when the Germans developed sufficient firepower to combat the KV-1. The KV-13 was faster and had an improved armor layout than the old KV-1. Like the it's predecessor the KV-13 carried the name of Kliment Voroshilov however Chelyabinsk decided it's successors would carry the name of Stalin. The successors of the KV-13 would be known as the IS-1(object 233) and the IS-2(Object 234). The IS-1 was armed with the 76mm ZiS-5 and used a new turret whereas the IS-2 used the 122mm U-11 and the turret from the KV-9.

Xno4IvG.jpg

The IS-2(Object 234) and IS-1(object 233)

While still undergoing trials ChKZ factory received an order for two new heavy tanks armed with a high power 85mm and a 107mm gun. In April Order #3187ss demanded that high power guns be developed that could combat new German tanks and SPG's. These requirements were met with the 85mm ZiS-25 and 107 mm ZiS-26, however designing new mounts was deemed too time consuming and the guns were scrapped. The decision was then made it to use exciting guns the IS-3 which was armed with a 85mm and the IS-4 which was armed with a 107mm was the response. Due to the increased size of the caliber the number of road wheels was increased to 6 road wheels over the 5 of the IS-1/2. However due to the fact that all ammunition for the 107mm were prewar which consisted of HE and anti-concrete both of which were useless in anti-tank combat. In addition to this it was possible to make 2 85mm shell with the cost of 107mm shell, thus the IS-4 was scrapped. There two main competitors for the main armament of the IS-85, the S-31 and the D-5T, the D-5T was chosen because it was lighter and smaller. This tank was indexed as the IS-85 and was accepted into production.

lyEEHbE.png

Crew 4

Weight 4

Engine 520HP

Top speed 37km/h

Operational Range 240km(on rough terrain 100-125km)

Armament 85mm D-5T, 3 7.62mm Machine gun

Armor Layout

[Spoiler]is2_198.gif[/spoiler]

• Upvote 4

lyEEHbE.png

Crew 4

Weight 4

Engine 520HP

Top speed 37km/h

Operational Range 240km(on rough terrain 100-125km)

Armament 85mm D-5T, 3 7.62mm Machine gun

Glorious Stalinium, so strong, so light!

:Ds

• Upvote 3

85 mm gun on a heavy tank chassis. well it can challenge tigers but it has to be close for a penetrating hit

85 mm gun on a heavy tank chassis. well it can challenge tigers but it has to be close for a penetrating hit

"Conclusion: the armour piercing shell can penetrate the side of the Tiger tank, 82 mm thick, from 1500 meters, and the front, 100 mm thick, from 1000 meters."

That's assuming a perfect 90 degree angle to the Tigers front, too bad for you the Tiger crews practice actively angling armour. If the Tiger rotates 30 degrees to the left or right, you're going to have a bad day.

Being able to utilize actively angling was probably the only benefit of the Tigers square hull design, while if an IS tank was to try to rotate to angling it's hull,  its rounded upper hull would create more flat surfaces to be shot at.

That being said the Tiger had to be within 300-400m range to even penetrate the IS tanks front hull with its standard Pzgr. 39 ammunition.

Edited by EndlesNights
medal medal medal

That's assuming a perfect 90 degree angle to the Tigers front, too bad for you the Tiger crews practice actively angling armour. If the Tiger rotates 30 degrees to the left or right, you're going to have a bad day.

With the 85mm AP and the Tiger at 30° it should be about 600m. With APBC around 800m. Same with APCR.

That being said the Tiger had to be within 300-400m range to even penetrate the IS tanks front hull with its standard Pzgr. 39 ammunition.

sjv6gkla.jpg
medal medal

With the 85mm AP and the Tiger at 30° it should be about 600m. With APBC around 800m. Same with APCR.

Tiger vs 85mm AP is a no KO between 30-45°

[spoiler]

Generated%5C314.jpg?638295

[/spoiler]

Tiger vs 85mm APCR is no KO at 40±1 °

[spoiler]Generated%5C827.jpg?685184[/spoiler]

sjv6gkla.jpg

This chart isn't total true because it only models for the IS primary front plate, and does not take into account that the armour rounds off on the right/left plates rounded hull, so if it is to rotate it will create new flat angles.

(sorry for my terrible MSpaint photo editing skills)

8.8Cm L/56 APCR vs IS-1 Hull with secondary front plates included. If not ~30° you're going to have bad day much like if the Tiger is not at 40° fighting 85mm APCR.

u67VtFs.png

Edited by EndlesNights
medal medal medal

Am I the only person having a problem driving this tank? the KV-85 treats me well (against the same enemies, both are in my line-up with the T-34-85 (D-5T)), and despite, in theory, being a better tank in every way about 90% of the matches I'm driving into it in I keep getting one-shot (usually by panthers through the frontal armor.)

I don't know, what am I doing wrong? Given that the armor seems to be useless I'd rather drive out in my T-34-85, which is faster, has an extra spawn, and artillery...

medal medal medal medal

Yeah unfortunately the German guns in game have unlimited amounts of APCR which in real life was VERY rare and hardly ever available. It makes armor kinda useless. 

It's too bad the IS-1 doesn't get APCR (Or maybe I just didn't see it), because I cannot pen Panthers if they know where I am, which they usually do, on account of them being twice as agile as me. :dntknw:

Edit: I just don't get why I do so badly in this tank. I do quite well in the T-34-85, and pretty decent in the KV-85, but the IS-1's ammo detonates if an enemy even glares at me.

Edited by Daediddles
medal medal medal medal

It's too bad the IS-1 doesn't get APCR (Or maybe I just didn't see it), because I cannot pen Panthers if they know where I am, which they usually do, on account of them being twice as agile as me. :dntknw:

Edit: I just don't get why I do so badly in this tank. I do quite well in the T-34-85, and pretty decent in the KV-85, but the IS-1's ammo detonates if an enemy even glares at me.

Well, the T-34-85 has a major advantage in it's maneuverability. It can move around the battle field rather fast and does not get stuck out in the open when trying to cross open terrain. But, I do see a problem in that the IS-1's armor has been negated by the APCR that is available to Tigers and Panthers. If the IS-1 can't use it, why do they get to? 

The more I play the more I get frustrated.

Compared to, say, the IS-1, the Panther has:

+ Better speed

+ Better turning (including a neutral gear, though not implemented ingame ATM)

+ Better effective hull armor

= Shot trap turret

+ Higher penetration gun

- Lower Damage Gun

- Slower reload

+ Artillery strikes

+ Two lives

- 0.3 BR higher

I can deal with a Tiger in the IS-1, but the Panthers are instant death. I run into 3-5 of them each game, guaranteed, and I just cannot into fighting them. The only reliable way I have found to fight them is to try and get a shot to bounce off their mantlet into the hull. Shooting at their sides is almost not an option due to their mobility advantage. Any advice?

Edited by Daediddles
medal medal medal medal

Are  you playing RB or AB?

I'm an AB player for tanks because I'm not confident enough to range my shots.

Edited by Daediddles
medal medal medal medal

In RB, IS-1 I am trying to figure out why my 118 pen at 100m and 111 pen at 500, are giving me a lot of white hits (points for hit but no module damage.) on the Tiger and Panther fronts, sides ammo racks go boom fine, but the fronts do not seem to take damage from APHE pen correctly. I think I ammo racked a couple H1's from the commanders copula vs the front view port. And no I am not shooting the mantlets.

I just read in another post to shoot for the small flat edges of the gun mantlet on the Panther (T3) I am about to go give it a try, looking from front hitting the left edge may get an ammo storage on the side of turret.

I am able to bounce a few shots angled, but the turret can get 1 shot boom pretty easy on IS-1. As a heavy breakthrough tank, you unfortunately have to sit back and let the Panther or H1 come to you, which is fine on defense maps or defending 2 caps. If advancing you have to be very cautious and know the German sniping spots.

Looking at the IS-2 and IS-2 mod it does not look like it will be any better till IS-3 and hull down tactics. The Germans have guns that pen everything. I am tired of the Germans complaining about ammo rack going boom. We are firing APHE they only have APBC (for the higher tier Tiger/Panther ammo), the APHE if it pens has a higher chance of hitting an ammo rack. Same with APCR you need to know the interior layout of the tank to have a chance to ammo rack it.

Edited by Steel_Saint
medal medal

I'm guessing Steel_Saint, that your shells are hitting the glacis, failing to penetrate, and exploding, probably doing (minor) damage to the gun barrel or tracks. That could explain why you get a hit marker but no noticeable damage.

111 penetration isn't going to go through the upper glacis of a Panther or even a slightly angled Tiger. You're correct that you should aim for the turret "cheeks" if you can on the Panther. This will work on the Tiger as well but if a Tiger is square-on to you you should be able to penetrate him just about anywhere from 500 meters or less. The lower glacis on the Panther is also thinner and can be a better target but even it has a LOS thickness on level ground of 113mm.

Also, panzergranate 39 shells (standard German AP) actually do have a (small) explosive charge in it with a fuse in the base of the shell designed to explode after penetrating armor.

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

Well, the T-34-85 has a major advantage in it's maneuverability. It can move around the battle field rather fast and does not get stuck out in the open when trying to cross open terrain. But, I do see a problem in that the IS-1's armor has been negated by the APCR that is available to Tigers and Panthers. If the IS-1 can't use it, why do they get to? 

First of all the Tiger doesn´t even have apcr ammunition available and then nobody with a working brain takes apcr since they deal almost no damage compared to the pzgr 39 apcbc-he shells which are enough to penetrate anything on most common ranges. 

• Upvote 1
medal medal

I'm an AB player for tanks because I'm not confident enough to range my shots.

You should try RB still. It gives heavy tanks a better fighting chance, and ranging shots on RB/AB's claustrophibic maps is not hard.

Then when you'll be confident, you'll go to SB and never come back. Trust me.

medal medal medal medal

I've notice that IS-1 gets one shot by anything when its turret get pened,  

I've heard a rumor that by carrying less ammo you can lower the chance get ammo racked does it get confirmed? (cuz I've notice anything different in the game) 

I've notice that IS-1 gets one shot by anything when its turret get pened,  

I've heard a rumor that by carrying less ammo you can lower the chance get ammo racked does it get confirmed? (cuz I've notice anything different in the game) 

i know having less fuel increases performance (due to less weight) and it decreases the change for fire. don't know with tanks. wouldn't be surprised if it was

I know that for Pz IV, when you reduce the ammo from 88 to 68, you rarely ever get turret-racked.

It's up to you to experiment with the IS-1; i suggest going for 50% and increasing until you find a "soft spot", between" too frequent ammo racked" and "Never racked".

medal medal medal medal

Both the IS and T-34-85 stored shells in the turret.  They were designed this way but usually in heavy combat the crew would often NOT store turret shells cause of the obvious danger.
This isn't modeled in the game as far as I can tell.  So your turret will always detonate if penetrated the right way.

medal medal