RoflSeal

IS-2 (All Modifications) - Questions, Information, Gameplay

You can't flank good(And not good at all, just "normal" infact) player in SB too... This feature who spot ennemy on minimap is just the worst thing I've ever seen on a simulator game !

I've never had any problems with flanking in SB.  Usually, by the time that they finally notice me, I've already prepared to fire a round into them.  I've actually had multiple times where I'd just cruise along directly behind them to make sure that my first shot hit home and have them completely unaware until it was too late.

medal medal

Ok, so first off, i think that this tank is overtiered. i find myself in a hopeless situation whatever map i play vs any tank german tank.

it is pretty much impossible to penetrate any german to the front armor. if you miss you have a amazing 27 second reload time.

Panther: it is a gamble. usually the shell penetrates and damages some modules to buy you some more time to reload another shell  and in a rare occasion its a 1 shoot kill. but if he manages to damage your loader for example before you kill him. you have a 2-3 min reload time while he is for sure to come after you for revenge.

Kingtiger: now i am not able to penetrate the kingtigers from armor from any range. if you aim at the turret or the hull armor you dont penetrate 9/10 times. what to do vs him?

Ferdinand: Like the kingtiger but even harder to penetrate. lower front place is a easy place to hit, but not from over 200 meters.

All the german tanks have no problem to penetrate your armor from any range. it is just ridicoulous how the is-2 meets for example the KT. its just a rape

sorry but if you cant 1 shot any german tank with an IS2 there is something wrong

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal

I would say problem lies not in tanks but rather in ammunition. It is a game and all facts cant be counted. IRL there was such things as steel quality, armor tiering, reability etc. It is almost impossible to module it right. Also i feel that shell bounce does not work realistic in our game, IRL JS and t-34 could bounce incoming rounds more often.

Only thing that can save soviet heavy tank line is JS-7 with S70 130mm gun

900m/s with BCHP 

630m/s with HE

Penetration table: ''BCHP''

Meters: 200 500 1000 1500 2000
Angle 0: 222 217 207 197 188
Angle 60: 180 177 169 153 153

ROF was 40-45 sec per shot.

Altrough ROF seem to be awful, it atleast has chance to penetrate KT frontal armor at mid ranges unlike D-25T. D-25T is a useless gun against anything but panthers.. There is some postwar APCR rounds for D-25T with 300mm+ pen, but it would ruin balance.

Dont forget it had a revolver type auto loader meaning the ROF would be pretty fast for the first few shots. Not sure if the Dev want to implement that.

medal medal

I do fairly well with the IS-2... despite the obvious superiority of the German heavy line... there are times I manage to penetrate a German from the front with the 122... and No damage. I get a negligible XP and Credit bonus... indicating a penetrating hit but no real damage is done. That always sucks. Yet the German tanks can always seem to pen me on the first hit and either blow my ammunition stores (I am aware the Russians nearly lined the walls of their tanks with Ammo racks) or somehow, kill my entire crew.

The best way to combat the Jerrys without having to flank... is finding a decent hull down position. I have had luck with the Soviet turrets... they have curved mantels and fronts and do an alright job of deflecting shells.

I look forward to the IS-2 Mod 1944, the stats are the same... but look at it's front glacis it is smooth and nicely angled... I believe it will make a big difference. Errr... I hope it will make a big difference... some difference? Any difference?

It looks cooler.
  • Upvote 3

Firstly the Mod 1944's Front glacis does not offer any significant protection over the IS-2 ^^.

But to kill Tiger 2's and panthers I usally aim for the turret, if you can either hit left or right of the gun and they are looking at you, You will kill him. If he angles his turret you will bounce, so wait for him to look at you. At long ranges straight on you don't really stand a chance depending on how good your aim is.

Try to flank, and if you get close enough shoot the turret.

Ferdinand... That is a hard one, track and flank i usally best, no point trading shoots with him on longer ranges.

I use manual and yes, there is an awful lot of gear banging at low speed. basically 1 km/h = 1 gear shift. And no, simply starting in fifth gear doesn't work. It does not like to start rolling. A lot of German tanks are the same way tbh. Pz.III's basically skip the first 2 gears unless climbing a very steep hill. They turn best in third. I haven't spent enough time in the IS-2 to figure out what gear it turns best in.

medal medal medal medal medal

Guide to heavy tanks in WT? The only winning move is not to play.
As most russian tanks, they are overtiered(kv-1,kv-1 zis, is-1,is-2, t-44, su-85,su-85M, su-152, ISU-122, SU-122P and ISU-152), while a minority is undertiered(t-50, su-76, su-122)

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal

Dont forget it had a revolver type auto loader meaning the ROF would be pretty fast for the first few shots. Not sure if the Dev want to implement that.

More like it's similar to the T-64/T-80 Mechanical Autoloader

Not really a revolver

s7QVMRs.jpg Edited by IJN_Akagi
  • Upvote 3
medal medal

I don't understand the flanking logic.

From the sides, the big cats are all very vulnerable, and the 85mm is more than adequate.

I thought the whole point of using the beastly D-25T 122mm gun was it be able to one shot kill frontally.
medal medal

More like it's similar to the T-64/T-80 Mechanical Autoloader

Not really a revolver

s7QVMRs.jpg

Yeah indeed forgot what type it was but anyhow they won't implement that i suppose.

medal medal

I would say problem lies not in tanks but rather in ammunition. It is a game and all facts cant be counted. IRL there was such things as steel quality, armor tiering, reability etc. It is almost impossible to module it right. Also i feel that shell bounce does not work realistic in our game, IRL JS and t-34 could bounce incoming rounds more often.

900m/s with BCHP 

630m/s with HE

Penetration table: ''BCHP''

Meters: 200 500 1000 1500 2000
Angle 0: 222 217 207 197 188
Angle 60: 180 177 169 153 153

Altrough ROF seem to be awful, it atleast has chance to penetrate KT frontal armor at mid ranges unlike D-25T. D-25T is a useless gun against anything but panthers.. There is some postwar APCR rounds for D-25T with 300mm+ pen, but it would ruin balance.

where do you get 40-45 sec per shot, sources I have say the IS-7 had a rate of fire of 6-7 rounds/min

• Upvote 1
medal medal

Yeah indeed forgot what type it was but anyhow they won't implement that i suppose.

Well people would cry if they did :v
medal medal

Pop in, take your shot, pop out.Dont stick around to get oneshotted in the turret or lower glacis, you dont have any armour and you only have a gun that can oneshot things if you aim correctly.

If your going the heavy route,make sure you in a squad, you rely on teamwork more than the other side does.

And remember, if you miss, run like hell.

medal medal

Guide to heavy tanks in WT? The only winning move is not to play.
As most russian tanks, they are overtiered(kv-1,kv-1 zis, is-1,is-2, t-44, su-85,su-85M, su-152, ISU-122, SU-122P and ISU-152), while a minority is undertiered(t-50, su-76, su-122)

I don't see how the su-85 is over tiered ?

I actually OS mostly of the german tanks with this thing.

medal medal

IS-2 mod. 1944 is slayer of all wehraboos. it is a machine purpose built to vacuum the souls of german box tankers and is an excellent tear absorption device for those classic 122mm moments. unfortunately, the IS-2 demands a skilled player to use successfully, more so than any fascist tinderbox.

first off, always engage from cover. this nullifies your fire rate disadvantage and is instrumental to proper IS-2 usage. try to abuse the 3rd person camera at all times to check if its the right moment to strike, then pop out, blow turret off, and hide. there will be moments when you are in the open and you have only one chance to blow up the enemy tank before you, and this is where it is important to be a good shot and have weakspot knowledge.

vs tiger II potato turrets: shoot through their turret. instant kill 99% of the time from all ranges. the lower plate is also a reliable option under 500m. lob HE at the turret for added fun, although it's not really necessary.

vs tiger II brick turrets: shoot through the turret... but works only at closer distances. on Kursk (or for long ranges in general), HE shells are a good choice and can yield some surprising results if you aim for the turret. I have one shot killed Brick IIs across kursk on a few occasions with HE. HE to the cannon results in instant rage and subsequent panic bail.

vs. ferdo: Very obese and usually has a driver that thinks he is invincible. HE to the superstructure almost always knocks out their gun, breaks their transmission, kills their driver, lights them on fire, and blows up their engine. These are the easiest kills you will face. like the tiger II you can occasionally one shot kill them with HE. The "shoulders" of the hull are 80mm thick and are easily penetrated, as is the lower plate. always resort to HE versus a ferdo if you can, it's way easier.

vs panthers: shoot anywhere and enjoy wehraboo barbeque, even from miles away! these guys have a force field like their jagd brothers, but it rarely turns on. panther drivers are typically the craftier of the mentally stunted otto carius fan club and will usually use their mobility to secure strong positions at the start of the game or try to flank you. luckily, the panther is garbage at this tier.

vs jagdpanthers: their front plate is bugged, but it is not 100% consistent. you can pen them anywhere on the front from 2km away, just pray he doesn't go T-50 mode on you and activate his force field. if he is in invincibility mode, lob HE at his gun then laugh at his tears. this tank accounts for more than 70% of my deaths in the IS-2 it seems.

as you can see, only the tiger II brick edition's armor is actually worth anything in practice. success in the IS-2 revolves mostly around your positioning and ability to hit and penetrate on the first shot. Always engage with cover, preferably hull down. if you are having trouble with someone aiming at your location, try sticking your frontal hull out at an insane angle and force a bounce, then pop out and destroy (or in your case, probably miss). When you pop out and blast someone while hull down and then reverse to take cover, angle your turret 10-20 degrees to deflect any incoming fire, this will save your life on many occasions. also, try to find good spots for the IS-2 on these awful maps. i have 2-3 spots per map where i go that usually guarantee me a good game, slaying wehraboos has never been more routine ^_^

The IS-2 is at it's strongest at ranges exceeding 1000 meters, where it's awful firing rate and massive hitting power can be used much easier. After all, Soviet tankers IRL preferred to engage german tanks beyond 2000m with their IS-2's, and usually within arms length of cover or concealment. contrary to popular belief, the IS-2 is better suited as a super long range sniper (only assuming a skilled user of course) than a close range shotgun style tank. once you get used to judging the arc of the 122 and figure out how to measure range, jack-in-the-boxing german tinderboxes from kilometers away will become second nature to you.

the fact that german tankers think their armor is worth anything on kursk simply adds to the enjoyment of this tank. for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7yvwuBkDLA&feature=youtu.be

a mere 1.6km shot, but that guy promptly raged in the chat as his tinderbox worked as intended.

250m79y.jpg

Edited by uMad_ComRad
  • Upvote 7
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Ok, so first off, i think that this tank is overtiered. i find myself in a hopeless situation whatever map i play vs any tank german tank.

it is pretty much impossible to penetrate any german to the front armor. if you miss you have a amazing 27 second reload time.

Panther: it is a gamble. usually the shell penetrates and damages some modules to buy you some more time to reload another shell  and in a rare occasion its a 1 shoot kill. but if he manages to damage your loader for example before you kill him. you have a 2-3 min reload time while he is for sure to come after you for revenge.

Kingtiger: now i am not able to penetrate the kingtigers from armor from any range. if you aim at the turret or the hull armor you dont penetrate 9/10 times. what to do vs him?

Ferdinand: Like the kingtiger but even harder to penetrate. lower front place is a easy place to hit, but not from over 200 meters.

All the german tanks have no problem to penetrate your armor from any range. it is just ridicoulous how the is-2 meets for example the KT. its just a rape

What? i literary got out of a game 3 minutes ago.. a IS2  1 shot EVERY German tank i had, same player 6 kills in a ROW.. I have the replay to prove it..

pls dont give me that crap. why dont kingtigers and panthers have to flank russian tanks? oh wait, we have severly undertiered tanks fighting

if we had is-4s on tier 3 it would be the same feeling for kingtiger players.

It's quite simple:

Tier 1 and 2 russia rapes germany.

Tier 3 is fairly even.

Tier 4 and 5 germany rapes russia. (with the exception of a full russian team of TDs with 2 spawns)

Edited by Rohnlex
medal medal medal

What? i literary got out of a game 3 minutes ago.. a IS2  1 shot EVERY German tank i had, same player 6 kills in a ROW.. I have the replay to prove it..

We are not talking about arcade mode.

medal medal

Great post Umad_Comrad... I just unlocked and purchased the Mod 1944... can't wait to play it... I am currently rushing down the TD line so I can get started with the T-54 and the big IS'. It sucks I have to wait on the SU-100 before I can advance... but I supposed it is good I am not forced to play every tank in the tree. I will be playing my T-34-57 Mod quite a bit in the next few days. Edited by superfluidity

Great post Umad_Comrad... I just unlocked and purchased the Mod 1944... can't wait to play it... I am currently rushing down the TD line so I can get started with the T-54 and the big IS'. It sucks I have to wait on the SU-100 before I can advance... but I supposed it is good I am not forced to play every tank in the tree. I will be playing my T-34-57 Mod quite a bit in the next few days.

Hey the SU-100 is said to be one if not the best soviet TD, don't just skip it :P

@rohnlex:

era II is in german hand due to the F2

same goes for era III and panther

in era I my 38t wins more than 2/3 battles

havent played era IV yet but I doubt era V will be won by germany

Edited by GeneraIKrizmuz

Hey the SU-100 is said to be one if not the best soviet TD, don't just skip it :P

@rohnlex:
era II is in german hand due to the F2
same goes for era III and panther
in era I my 38t wins more than 2/3 battles

havent played era IV yet but I doubt era V will be won by germany

Nah, I won't be skipping it. It just LOOKS better than the other two TDs in it's tier... but I want the T-54 and IS-3 first. Edited by superfluidity

Pretty much what umad said, utilise cover as much as you can, and only peek when you're sure you're going to make the shot.

I take 23 APHEBC, and 5 HE.

Tiger II (P),

Easy kill. Just aim for the turret/side.

Tiger II (H),

Pretty much the same, only the turret is way stronger. Consider killing his barrel with HE

Jagdpanther,

you CAN penetrate him anywhere. Aim for the sides of the gun or lower glacis if you can*

Ferdinand,

This is where the HE comes into play, if you hit just below his gun with HE, there's a very high chance you'll set his engine on fire. Wait for the Alt+F4 that follows if he doesn't have FPE.

Panther (all types),

Just aim at his turret or side, easy kill.

*Prepare for the "hit". Jagdpanther has one of the more broken DMs in the game.

Some last tips, your armour isn't particularly amazing, but you CAN bounce some shots, even in the first IS-2. Just don't rely on it. And also, if you can, play in a squad, it helps a lot.

Consider myself fairly qualified to give tips, grinded out everything except the IS-3, IS-4M and IUS-152 so far using just it.

6543a4a38429ced6ce9b4fd5ed584f95.png

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

The IS-7 had an autoloader.  It had a RoF of 8-9 rounds per minute.

medal