WaterDragon629

IS-4M - Questions, Information, Gameplay

Has there been any plans or discussion to restrict the Is-4? Like perhaps until a nation that actually has post war tanks  is released? (alot of talk going around that the U.S would probably be the first additional nation released) because it is extremely obvious that there would be no point for anyone of any vehicle in the WWII german tree (or even the rest of the russian tree which is just about all WWII era as well) to even try and bother fighting it,

If not, why would a post WWII vehicle that has a impossibly huge advantage over all the other german/russian WWII tanks be allowed in matches with those other tanks?

That's like expecting a WWI "tractor" tank to have a chance against a modern m1 abrams, T-92, or Leopard 2

Edited by wotertool
  • Upvote 2

The 105mm on the KT has plenty of chances to penetrate the IS-4.

Dis.

Im also pretty sure the JagdTiger will do fine.

• Upvote 9

The 105mm on the KT has plenty of chances to penetrate the IS-4.

how so? isn't the mm of the Is-4 frontal armor (not to mention it's steep slope) far surpassing even the highest german gun on the war thunder tree? (105 on the king tiger,   "128?" on jagdtiger)   and surpassing even the other russian WWII tank tree guns capabilities?

also, apart from the Is-4's severe slope advantage, it's comes with that immense gun that seems to be able to devastate any of the WWII top tier german/russian vehicles armor's

The only possibility i could imagine is if a King tiger, Jagdtiger, Is-3, or Isu-152 managed to hit the Is-4 from the side, but even then, that's only if you're lucky enough to get that angle, the factor being that most combat situations are going to be front to front confrontations with it, but even THEN, it's not like there's anything stopping the Is-4 from simply turning it's turret to then put a shot straight through the attacker.

Edited by Wehrmachtwolf

Its really all going to depend on how the enemy picks the fight with the IS-4.

Obviously if you go for a frontal assault your going to have a bad time, but thats where tactics and teamwork come into play.

Have couple of tanks keep it distracted while you have other flank it and hit from the sides.

• Upvote 2

how so? isn't the mm of the Is-4 frontal armor (not to mention it's steep slope) far surpassing even the highest german gun on the war thunder tree? (105 on the king tiger,   "128?" on jagdtiger)   and surpassing even the other russian WWII tank tree guns capabilities?

also, apart from the Is-4's severe slope advantage, it's comes with that immense gun that seems to be able to devastate any of the WWII top tier german/russian vehicles armor's

The real-life IS-4 had the same 122 mm D-25T gun that the IS-2 and IS-3 had, which was inferior in armor-penetrating capability to the German 88 L/71. 

• Upvote 8

In any combat situation of course going for any angle besides frontal is preferable, and of course having more than one person with you would help.

However i'm regarding the inevitability of 1on1 frontal confrontations which are bound to happen with someone in an Is-4 in which it is just you and that person, Even the WWII top tiers (King tiger, Is-3, Jagdtiger, Isu-152) don't seem to have either the armor or guns to have even considerably fair chances in a fight with it.

p.s: how do people get those War thunder vehicle pictures in their signatures? haven't found them anywhere and would love to have the one of my Beloved Jagdtiger x.x

In any combat situation of course going for any angle besides frontal is preferable, and of course having more than one person with you would help.

However i'm regarding the inevitability of 1on1 frontal confrontations which are bound to happen with someone in an Is-4 in which it is just you and that person, Even the WWII top tiers (King tiger, Is-3, Jagdtiger, Isu-152) don't seem to have either the armor or guns to have even considerably fair chances in a fight with it.

p.s: how do people get those War thunder vehicle pictures in their signatures? haven't found them anywhere and would love to have the one of my Beloved Jagdtiger x.x

IS-4 has better armor, KT with Kwk 46 (and even normal KT) has a better gun. Both have to get close to penetrate each other from the front.

I don't see where the problem is, they both seem pretty equal.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

it comes with that immense gun that seems to be able to devastate any of the WWII top tier german/russian vehicles armor's

You mean the 122mm the IS 2 had, not really a post war gun. I fail to see the problem.

Air support will fix the problem, its armour on the top cant stop a 500 pounder from a stuka.

Along with the apparent reassurance by others that there are some reasonable chances or the top tier german/russian WWII era tanks to stand against it, Air support is the ever lasting support i desperately hope for in facing a juggernaut Is-4.

*Edit* Someone sent me the link to the signature topic thread with all the different categories of signature pics in it, thanks.

Edited by Wehrmachtwolf

Since it's a 1948 Model (production, dunno about service) and Gaijin stated there will be a MM via Era, it may find itself in the overwhelming joy of not spotting a single Tiger II (1943 production, 1944 service) and instead wonder what U.S.Bomber is responsible for the black cloud of explosives coming it's way.

Ofc, it's not gonna happen, but at least let me dream about Balance as long as I can.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

I get the feeling "the other game" has ruined people's perspective of certain tanks.

Yes it's a heavily armored vehicle but it also has the same gun as the IS-2 and also has a lack of speed and mobility. If the right tactics are used against the IS-4 it shouldn't be a problem. As others have stated the KT's 105mm and Jagdtigers 128mm shouldn't have too much trouble, also as ledo pointed out ti all depends on how the fights are picked.

• Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

It really depends on the distance of engagement. Between 500 and 1000 meters, neither the 122 D-25T that the IS-4 used, or the 105 that is planed for the Tiger II( which never actually was put into the Tiger II btw), can penetrate each other.

But once you close the distance, 100 to 200 meter range. The Tiger is the only one with a chance to penetrate. Even the 88mm KwK 43 L/71 that the Tiger II actually used can pen the IS-4 once it's close enough to lower it's gun and negate some of the armor sloping.

The "effective" armor for both tanks are as followed;

Tiger II:

Upper Glacis = 150mm at 50 degrees from vertical

Effective protection versus AP = 209mm

Lower Glacis = 120mm at 50 degrees from vertical

Effective protection versus AP = 167mm

IS-4:

Upper Glacis = 140mm at 61 degrees from vertical

Effective protection versus AP = 244mm

Lower Glacis = 160mm at 40 degrees from vertical

Effective protection versus AP = 193mm

The guns:

Tiger II : 88mm KwK 43 L/71

Pzgr.39 (APCBC) – Armor Piercing Composite Ballistic Cap

Distance:                       100m         500m       1000m     1500m      2000m

Penetration:                  203mm     185mm     165mm     148mm     132mm

IS-4: 122mm D-25T L/43

Distance:                       100m         500m       1000m     1500m      2000m

Penetration:                 140mm      128mm      114mm     101mm     90mm

Lets just wait for tanks to roll out, THEN we can if any restrictions are really neccessary.

who knows, maybe just like the mig-15 and sabre, the IS-4 and (whatever the us equivelant is) get their own special matchmaking.

maybe the kingtiger/panther II/Jagdtiger are more then a match for the usa/ussr/uk post war tanks.

we'll all have to wait and see, no need for getting jimmies rustled yet.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

IS-4 won't be so out of context problem, actually, considering that IS-4 uses same gun as IS-2 and IS-3 (IIRC, 122mm D-25T), which it had such poor penetrating capabilities. 

So, technically, any Tiger II with 8.8cm gun or JagtTiger with 12.8cm or Tiger II with 10.5cm gun should deal with IS4 just fine. 

However, the problem appears: T-54. 

medal medal medal medal

T-54 will have a gun with better penning power but worse HE shells than the D25.

The Panther2 also has better hp per ton and comparable front armour (correct if wrong)

But the T-54 will have better off road speed, better turret protection but less rof and ammo
medal medal

Just jump in a Stuka and splat it with a nice juicy bomb. Or you can kill it with a KT of JT or anything else with a good gun.

medal medal medal medal medal

I also agree with those who say that one should wait for the tanks to be released, before making assumptions about the overpoweredness of any one of them. Don't let the fear you got from experiencing certain other tank games ruin the anticipation of WT's tank battles.  :-)

• Upvote 3