wafu_vasco

Historical Board Decal Competition!

Nice. I was afraid I might have to use the Bundesadler instead, and it looks a lot less period in aesthetic design than the Reichsadler.

Here's the first of my entries, this one is for the Japanese (obviously!) . I've tried for a flatter graphic style, reminiscent of traditional Japanese woodcut prints -

Samurai_zps1c9f7ec2.jpg

Edited by fenris
  • Upvote 19
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Awesome job, fenris! Do you have a version without the metal plates and rivets? The decal will go on top of those sorts of details on the WT aircraft.

medal medal medal medal medal

Awesome job, fenris! Do you have a version without the metal plates and rivets? The decal will go on top of those sorts of details on the WT aircraft.

Hi wafu_vasco,

Sure!  I use the rivets layers just for the presentation shot, I'll probably use them for the other ones too, just as so they all read the same  ( a bit of background national camo, etc). Would you like me to upload the designs without the layers too at this stage?

-  Fenris

Hi wafu_vasco,

Sure!  I use the rivets layers just for the presentation shot, I'll probably use them for the other ones too, just as so they all read the same  ( a bit of background national camo, etc). Would you like me to upload the designs without the layers too at this stage?

-  Fenris

No problem, that's alright! If it's just for presentation to give a better idea of what it will look like on the aircraft, definitely keep it exactly as it is! Great job!

Hello Guys and welcome to the Second Historical Boards Competition!

This time, winners will not only receive in game rewards but will find their art work featured in the game itself in the form of decals! What we’re looking for are historically themed nose art decals for our five main in game nations. However, rather than finding nose art which actually existed we want players to make their own artwork completely from scratch, so original ideas but done in the style of Second World War nose art.    

Carrying on with our Aces theme, each of the five categories will have a theme to work to linked with some of our previously featured ace pilots:

USA – As both of our US pilots were members of the Flying Tigers, this category will be for pin-up art of a “Flying Tiger” theme. US aces are Edward Rector and... next Ace to be released any day now!

Any word on the second U.S. ace? And should we look for it in your original post? Thanks!

Edited by CharlieFoxtrot
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Any word on the second U.S. ace? And should we look for it in your original post? Thanks!

The second ace is Pappy Boyington. He was featured in a news article maybe three, four days ago in the "News" subforum.

• Upvote 1

*updated pic again, last time I hope, this time renamed, to represent both the flying tigers and Rector's Alma mater Catawba College.

medal medal medal

I was hoping to do more of these within the week, but work and RL have got in the way!

Here's No' 2. "Flying Tiger Gal"

FlyingTigerGirl_FINAL_zps07bbebf7.jpg

• Upvote 7

Does anyone have entry requests? I think I may have time this weekend to make a decal for someone provided they have a workable concept.

Edited by ColorCopycat

I feel like fenris will win everything ,which is kinda not fair even though he obviously spent alot of time on it.

Will there be any restrictions about how many of the categories people can win?

medal medal

There shouldn't be any restrictions on winning. The OP states that much. If Fenris is the best digital artist that the WT community has to offer, then let the merit of his work speak for itself.

Edited by ColorCopycat
  • Upvote 2

So here is my entry, i really hope you enjoy it as it took quite a while! (original resolution was 2160x2160)

GrQbEX2.jpg

[spoiler]

Here is the original if you want to see the detail and stuff

ry40lUN.jpg

[/spoiler]

• Upvote 2
medal medal

Hello guys,

Thanks for stating your opinions and if enough of the community feel that the prizes might be better spread out by restricting the number of competition entries per person, then that is something we can give serious consideration to for future competitions. However, the rules we've stated say that it is one decal per category, so it would be very unfair to reverse that decision now.

However; I've had some contact pointing out that these decals obviously take a lot longer to prepare than, for example, screenshots and that most of this work is often done at weekends. So - the deadline for the competition is extended by two days to give you guys the Saturday, if you need it. The competition will now close on Saturday 16th November; I'll change the OP to reflect this.

And finally, here's my Fleet Air Arm offering -   "Strange Fish"    

StrangeFish_FINAL_zps2eb0d383.jpg

This is my last entry for this competition and there's lots of time left until it closes, so it'll be interesting to see what is still to come in all the categories, especially now we have an extension to the deadline.

Good luck everyone!

- Fenris

(P.S. it could lose the text if required)

Edited by fenris
  • Upvote 5

And finally, here's my Fleet Air Arm offering -   "Strange Fish"    

[spoiler]

StrangeFish_FINAL_zps2eb0d383.jpg

[/spoiler]

This is my last entry for this competition and there's lots of time left until it closes, so it'll be interesting to see what is still to come in all the categories, especially now we have an extension to the deadline.

Good luck everyone!

- Fenris

(P.S. it could lose the text if required)

Wow great job, I feel you will win the categories you entered, just a shame they had to be the ones i entered as well :P

(urmaguurd neerrked)

medal medal

Below is my submission for the "Patriotic Workers"-themed Soviet category

the_workers_and_peasants_by_colorcopycen

I couldn't find any Cyrillic fonts for adding political slogans, unfortunately.

• Upvote 6