CmdrSloth

How Not To Wobble: The Guide

So I was persuing my YouTube subscriptions, and stumbled upon one of eNtaK's newer videos of him flying his Fw-190 A-5 in Historical Battles. Unfortunately I couldn't really watch enjoyably past 2:30, and I think you'll see why, if you happen to fly the aircraft in HB and fly it well.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juiTRtpXu4c[/media]

The wobbling. The MASSIVE wobbling. 

It's pretty brutal, and I'm sure a lot of people when they first start flying this, and other air craft in the game and deal with this wobble, the are immediately put off by it and think the plane sucks because it suffers from this.

Well I'm here to tell you there is some pretty simple guidelines to not have this effect you at all, while shedding some light on to the exact causes of this, and no its not just instructor, something more is going on.

So, as to the why this is happening:

A lot of people throw around a lot of different theories. Instructor improperly correcting for stall charactaristics on certain planes. "It's just you're plane stalling, deal with it" "It's Gaijin's Anti-German Bias" (For the record, it happens with several different types of planes, but usually those with higher wing loading, not just the Germans) and several other variations in between.

However, what a lot of people fail to realize is the exact circumstances it's occuring in. Invariably, it's someone using the mouse, and invariably it is someone over turning in the mouse.

Now what do I mean by that?

What I mean is you are shifting the mouse to quickly, faster then the relative control of the aircraft can respond, faster then the nose can actually follow your commands. What ends up happening, is your aircraft is trying to do to many things at once, and the flight model gets "confused" as it's trying to catch up to you're mouse.

Now, the solutions: There are two and it's best to use them in harmonious conjunction with one another if you want to get the best result. This is verbaitm what I do, and instead of my A-5 flopping all over the place when I dive on someone in that particular vertical attitude, it's a completely smooth roll and turn.

One is pretty obvious: Stop moving your mouse to quickly to the direction you want your aircraft to be traveling, and expecting the aircraft to "catch up" to that flight attitude without any other input. 

Instead: Move the mouse, matching the speed that your nose can actually deflect, with your nose and your cursor being fairly close to each others position, instead of your nose chasing it some 90-180 degrees of movement or more. You will experience next to no wobble if this occurs.

Now, I'm sure some of you are going to feel a little impaired when trying this, because you're going to feel like you're losing some situational awareness. This is placebo. Force yourself to actually use the camera look around plot your targets, and then switch back to carefully using the mouse to control your flight attitude and gunnery solution. It will feel like you've lost awareness, but in reality, anyone you were tracking aggresively in mouse aiming, you wouldn't of ever been able to get guns on anyways, because you would of wobbled for half your turn before even being able to correct you're gunnery solution.

The second part of the solution is something people tend to fight me on sometimes: For quick, 180 degree turn arounds in the smallest space possible, DO NOT USE THE MOUSE. Bind a keyboard key (I use Left Ctrl, and use my pinky to hit it, but you can use anything that's comfortable obviously) to Maximum Elevator. This allows you to turn at your tightest potential radius without any wobbling to speak of.

Now, people tend to respond with "Well, wouldn't that cause a lot of drag at Max. elevator and kill a ton of energy", and my answer is, what do you think flopping around like that in the sky is doing? It may not be killing air speed, but its completely stopping your ability to accurately maneuver, and make corrections for gunnery solutions and changes in direction of your target.

As well as this, someone in a similar wing loaded plane will never turn as tight as you can with the keyboard. This can lead to some pseudo-awkward situations, where you can't out turn someone while using your mouse but you can out turn someone using your keyboard, so you'll come in, out turn them enough with the keyboard, then let go, and resume control with the mouse, getting your shots in.

I hope this helps people who are suffering from this, especially some of our more dedicated YouTube Channel personalities who seem to also be suffering from this.

Edit: Sorry for the various little grammatical mistakes, I scribbled this up in about 15 minutes.

Edited by CmdrSloth
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 142
medal medal

Wow,

Sense and logical reasoning....

Who would've thought!

They go together.

Like salt and pepper.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6
medal medal

I never used my mouse when i turn even when i started playing the game, when i was on my AB days when i saw that the planes had this wobble thing i only used my keyboard to manouver the planes seems pretty obvious what to do to counter this wobble thing idk why ppl didnt figure this out yet.

And i think everyone ik also does the same, they use the keyboard to control the plane and mouse to aim.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

how not to wobble:  don't use mouse aim, fly on stick, be a man.

problem solved

Nuggit Strikes again,

Short, Sharp and Sweet

Are there people out there who don't use keyboard in MA? I thought it's pretty obvious that maneuvering is a lot more effective with keyboard.

Maneuvering with the keyboard always operates your control surfaces with maximum deflection, which is pretty energy consuming.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal

Maneuvering with the keyboard always operates your control surfaces with maximum deflection, which is pretty energy consuming.

thats why you only use it when dogfighting when u do small turns like turn up to climb then down to dive and aim in a bnz u use the mouse

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal

Still, it is annoying that some planes still have this wobble when it is something that could be fixed.

Case in point, the p-47 used to have a crazy wobble, and now is much more stable.

Good guide for a work around, but it would be nice if we didn't have to work around in the first place!
  • Upvote 1

I dont know, I never like the mouse-joy setup and I have became less of a fan of the instructors way to solve the "you will stall every turn" stuff, it has really screwed me up flying the fw190d-13 because I try to get my guns on aircraft and wobble before I could even hit it, only good turners can turns without the wobble on mouse, p-51 and oddly enough the bearcat does the same thing at high alt.
medal medal

Everyone though please keep turning with mouse. I like to have some easy kills. 

Edited by Messer_Smitt
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Was having troubles with the wobble some time back until I started doing the same thing above.  I think this little bit of finesse makes a huge difference in piloting.

• Upvote 2

I have to say, I honestly thought it was happening because Gaijin hates German stuff. I could have sworn that the Yak series, the P-51's, and the Tempest were all really German planes, but the evil devs were lying because they hate German stuff.

Learn something new every day! :?s

Nice vid by the way Entak, thanks for shining that light of truth!

medal medal medal medal

Hi,

I'm not a very experienced HB player, just few more or less bad experiences there, but while i had no noticeable problems with Japaneses fighters and no problems also yesterday with the Beau in the HB Malta event, some plane I tried just wobble like crazy, and yes using the keyboard only to turn, I'm used to use the keyboard turns in arcade mode so it's not really a problem but some planes no matter what i do or tried are almost impossible to fly with mouse due to the wobble in HB.

For example flying the Ki-96 ( not best suited for HB but as it was one of the few planes i had with free repairs so i tried it ), this planes is near impossible to control for me, even without turning, while flying straight it wobbles a lot, using the keyboard to turn does not help, saw a guy using a ki-102 in a HB match i was in and he had his plane doing exactly the same.

Tries many things like lowering my mouse sensitivity to 300dpi ( got a a button on it to do it on the fly), tried to use only the keyboard for all maneuvers etc, no way i can get rid of this, it happens even while flying straight with a non damaged plane for me, was told the only way is to play with a joystick ...

This is what happens when using those planes, it's from the guy flying the Ki-102 while i was spectating him, the Ki-96 was doing exactly the same for me when flying it the 2 or 3 times i tried in HB , short video to download on link :

http://âpp.com/dl/Hemo

Is this normal ? Do you guys experience the same with those planes ? 

For me the instructor was always poping up even flying in straight line at medium speed and just having the nose up at less than 10 degrees, so is there any additional tips for those kind of planes that seems more affected than others by wobbling beside investing in a joystick please ?

Thanks in advance.

Edited : link to the video didn't made it on my first attempt for some reasons ... fixed now

Edited by Kanay
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

how not to wobble:  don't use mouse aim, fly on stick, be a man.

problem solved

*cough* real men dont whine endlessly about the Spitfire *cough*

Anyway, Sloth thanks for this input, it should help a lot of new people and Entak :D

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

One is pretty obvious: Stop moving your mouse to quickly to the direction you want your aircraft to be traveling, and expecting the aircraft to "catch up" to that flight attitude without any other input. 

+1
The wobble comes from the instructor restricting ur violent input. Mouse input is faster and requires less "moving for your hand" thus making some turns or maneuvers too violent in aerodynamic and human nature.
Instructor says "Nay!" and tries to smoothen it but if u start actually using the mouse careful like u would use ur joystick ( old joke from my glider licencse student days: THE STICK BETWEEN UR LEGS AND NOT THE ONE INSIDE UR TROUSERS!) then the wobble is not a real issue.
Its similar to the early issues fly by wire had with Airbus and Boeing commercial jets, the input at certain situations where to violent and the CPU had to correct it leading to the assumption that pilots lost controll at certain situations ( i think Boeing has a mode to bypass that CPU filter aswell as Aribus has)

EDIT: its called Flight Envelope Protection which filters the input in modern commercial jets
And the Modes to bypass this is "Second mode" for Boeing Flight Control Mode and "Direct Law" or "Mechanical Backup Law" for Airbus

Edited by DrFuManchu
medal medal medal medal