Sign in to follow this  
Reagalan

Bf 110 C-4 Performance

The Bf 110, by far the best looking plane ever constructed in the history of forever. 

With an obviously unfinished flight model, I almost guarantee it's modeled underweight. For a plane described as having poor maneuverability as it's biggest weakness, it's really maneuverable. Seventeen seconds at sea level puts it in the realm of the Hurricane Mk II, with a bit below average roll rate. Energy retention is a joke though, turns using elevator bleed a fair bit of energy by themselves, but the rudder is a huge drain. The slightest lateral deflection will bleed dozens of kmh in milliseconds. At least it's got those two engines to gain that energy back in a timely fashion. 

It has a decent top speed, but again, once you turn that energy goes away. Altitude pays off as you gain about 10 kmh for every 1000m higher you are. Structural G-tolerance is exceptional. WEP lasts forever but can overheat at low speeds, so watch it.

The 109 E-1 has taught us cannons aren't everything, but this plane has them anyway, along with 4 machine guns, all very tightly focused in the nose. FF/Ms too, and plenty of ammo. The tailgunner can occasionally get lucky but don't rely on it, the plane is tough enough that it takes a real focused attack to outright kill.

I guess it's good though, I haven't flown it in HB for months. Seems like a good newbie HBer plane.

NJwKiLl.gif
v4rVuFa.gif
rNd639l.gif
xA0pTiQ.gif
mCODJww.gif

More tests can be found here:
  • Upvote 12
medal medal

Love all your test :)

One of the best things about the plane is how much people are willing to underestimate it, allowing easy shots with the cannons and MGs to chew people up quickly so you dont have to bleed all your speed

medal medal medal medal medal

The biggest problem for me with the BF-110 is not just that it bleeds speed so hard, it is also that it overheats pretty fast. This means you really cannot abuse WEP in maps like Sicily, where the temperature seems to be a fair bit high.

• Upvote 1
medal

So far as I've heard, the 110 COULD compete with the likes of the Hurricane when properly trimmed, flapped, and flown. I'll need to dig up sources but I'm too busy at the moment. Thank your for the tests, keep them coming!

• Upvote 3
medal

Another horribly broken aircraft. At least this one's brokenness goes both ways. Positively with its super agility, negatively with the idiotic rudderdrag. 

Sort of like the P36's. 

Edited by SchurkjeBoefje
  • Upvote 9
medal medal

The BF110 is one of the few twins with a decent FM. Be nice if this energy was spent looking at the quite clearly broken ones instead.

• Upvote 4
medal

The BF110 is one of the few twins with a decent FM. Be nice if this energy was spent looking at the quite clearly broken ones instead.

Lol u srs. The FM is one of the most unrealistic there is.

• Upvote 9

No, as-in: one of the few twin engine fighters built from historical data, unlike the A20G that outturns zeros and loops like a 109. It's much more realistic than most of the others. But, when I was part of the FM team, we were asked to test without the VI, and only in Full real difficulty, maybe they've changed that since?

It's odd (and hard to take seriously) to hear the term "realistic" coming from HB/arcade players.

Edited by B3_Creepermoss
  • Upvote 1
medal

No, as-in: one of the few twin engine fighters built from historical data, unlike the A20G that outturns zeros and loops like a 109. It's much more realistic than most of the others. But, when I was part of the FM team, we were asked to test without the VI, and only in Full real difficulty, maybe they've changed that since?

It's odd (and hard to take seriously) to hear the term "realistic" coming from HB/arcade players.

sometimes i get the feeling they removed the whole testing process and relay on guessing :(s

• Upvote 5

Um, most of the other twin engine craft are using FMs from the early alpha, so no. Plus, the Bf110's FM was built by the international team, guys with extensive personal collections of actual war documents.

• Upvote 2
medal

Um, most of the other twin engine craft are using FMs from the early alpha, so no. Plus, the Bf110's FM was built by the international team, guys with extensive personal collections of actual war documents.

Judging from the sorry state the FM is in they had some pretty crappy documents.

• Upvote 6
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

i believe you....that just dont change the fact that some planes fly even for HB standarts very unrealistic/broken

like the 110........its hard to believe that a Fighter with such a good reputation lost always ~50-100 kph if the pilot touched the ruder or airlerons :crazy:

Edited by BattleFairy
  • Upvote 2

sometimes i get the feeling they removed the whole testing process and relay on guessing :(s

No.

medal medal medal

If the FM of the Bf 110 is correct, we would have stacks of reports from WWII Bf 110 pilots suffering from whiplash as their plane suddenly lost 50-100km/h in the space of a second.

• Upvote 5
medal medal

Judging from the sorry state the FM is in they had some pretty shïtty documents.

Planes built from historical data, in full controls, may behave differently when you apply mouseaim and/or the VI to them. But that's not the FM, that's outside factors altering how it behaves.

Edited by B3_Creepermoss
medal

Planes built from historical data, in full controls, may behave differently when you apply mouseaim and/or the VI to them. But that's not the FM, that's outside factors altering how it behaves.

This I belive. The VI is loves it's rudder pedals. Question, do the FRB pilots experience the same heavy bleeding of speed during light manoeuvres?

In HB you don't need to press H for airbrakes in this thing lol.
medal medal medal

But if the Bf-110 is the only plane (FM) in game that suffers this massive rudderdrag, and the historical aircraft did not suffer from such a massive disadvantage, how could the problem be instructor and/or mouse-aim? If instructoraim messes up the FM, why is the 110 the only one affected? Afaik, no other in-game aircraft loses speed rather rapidly with slight rudder movements when it's even going in a dive. 

• Upvote 3
medal medal

I absolutely love my 110. It's rare for me to have a game where I don't get at least one kill in HB.

Though I use a joystick with full real controls, so that may have something to do with it.

I absolutely love my 110. It's rare for me to have a game where I don't get at least one kill in HB.

Though I use a joystick with full real controls, so that may have something to do with it.

Does it shed energy like crazy with slight rudder movements? 

It could be that people using full real controls suffer much less from the rudderdrag, because you'd obviously use it less. On the other hand, instructor loves his rudder, making it much more prevelant. 

Edited by SchurkjeBoefje
medal medal

Does it shed energy like crazy with slight rudder movements? 

It could be that people using full real controls suffer much less from the rudderdrag, because you'd obviously use it less. On the other hand, instructor loves his rudder, making it much more prevelant. 

I typically roll my plane to a good angle before I start my attack run and boom and zoom. Don't really use my rudder unless I really need to roll my plane fast.

Sign in to follow this