Lt_Cdr_Lowe

Royal Navy Tech Tree - The Wishlist

Jackie Fisher's HMS Incomparable class Battlecruiser anyone?  :Ds

20" guns, 35 knots and all at 1915

• Upvote 1
medal medal

Will we get a choice of armamentd? Or just refits?

Nah, for that, there's navy field. Troll-ish gun setups there, precise historical setups here. A real life upgrade could be used as a /late model of the same ship.

An easy example of the same class of ship with different armament is the O-class destroyer. The first few were built with 4.7 inch guns and the rest with 4 inch guns. The P-class was identical to the 4-inch O class. You'll likely find in this case that they'll be organised similarly to the USAAF's Airacobras, both at the same tier, you'll have to buy the 4 inch O- and P-class to buy the 4.7 inch O-class, but you won't have to buy the 4.7 inch O- to buy the next ship on the tree. Just like how you have to buy the P-39N to buy the P-39Q, but you only need the -39N to buy the Jug.

Edited by Eruantien697
medal medal

Just remembered no subs, so no X-craft either...would have been funny

British T class too OP with 10 forward torpedo tubes...  :Ds

• Upvote 1
medal medal

A ten torpedo salvo would be rather nasty - imagine closing on a BB and unleashing all ten on it. The cries of "My Bismarck was sunk by a T-class! It's too OP" would be music to my ears :D

• Upvote 1
medal

The Type-XXI is very much the 'stealth' boat of this era, considering one managed to slip inside a RN task force and get into a perfect firing position on a cruiser, luckily the U-boat Kapitan had already recieved the surrender-gram
medal medal medal medal medal

Lo... Oh great Gaijin Gods of Gaming, we your Loyal Gamers doth Beseech thee, and grant unto our unworthy beings the gift of submarines to which we will endeavour to be devious and duplicitous, to troll the surface dwellers of the fleet and to muster onto them great rage-quits.... oh so do we pray....

may the Gaijin gods be praised..

Anton.... :lol:  

• Upvote 3

In all fairness, Submarines of the time will be pretty useless in fleet battles...

• Upvote 1
medal medal

Subs will be usefull in fleet battles, providing they do a seperate spawn point for them, like with fighters and bombers. Subs can pick apart/distract enemy fleets, and god help us if there was a co-ordinated strategy being played

Subs will be usefull in fleet battles, providing they do a seperate spawn point for them, like with fighters and bombers. Subs can pick apart/distract enemy fleets, and god help us if there was a co-ordinated strategy being played

Subs make somewhere between 1-4 knots underwater if they do not want to be heard by every Destroyer around, Where as most Surface ships are making 25-35 knots. Makes it a bit of a pain when they need to be around 4Km away from a target to accurately put a torpedo in something, and that is near on impossible to do even at close range if the target is making 28 knots + and maneuvering.

Submarines can be spotted by carrier born or float planes well below their attack depth, spawn them ahead of the fleet and they are dead... And they can be damaged by gunfire while at attack depth.

They are going to need allot of balancing to be added and honestly i going by what the game is like already i don't think that Gaijin is up for the task. There is a very good reason as to why games don't often try to use PvP submarine vs ship and succeed.

Don't get me wrong, They are a fantastic weapon of war on a strategic level... just not a fleet weapon of war.

• Upvote 2
medal medal

It'd be a pity though Crag_r, after all they did play such an important role in the war..

Beaufighters would like subs in the game.

Scratch that, thought you were making a comparison between the two gameplaywise.

Beufighters working for coastal command for filled this role exceeding well in War time.

Edited by Crag_r
medal medal

Subs would be exceedingly vulnerable having to be on the surface to have any meaningful speed.  Beaufighters would be able to fulfill their wartime role

Edited by BuccaneerBill

But it is still possible to use subs, having them lying in wait for an unsuspecting fleet to close in and loose a few torps at them. Enemy fleet will probably be too fixed on getting in range of the other fleet they may lose situational awareness, abd get pounced on by the hidden killers lurking under the sea, as a note, most current maps that have ships on them have few approach routes

But it is still possible to use subs, having them lying in wait for an unsuspecting fleet to close in and loose a few torps at them. Enemy fleet will probably be too fixed on getting in range of the other fleet they may lose situational awareness, abd get pounced on by the hidden killers lurking under the sea, as a note, most current maps that have ships on them have few approach routes

Seeing as the "fleet"  or many of the larger capital ships have ranges of upwards of 30-40Km they are going to be in range before they are anywhere near lurking submarines...

Again, people need to understand that submarines of the times were not "warship killers" they were slow and predictable merchant killers.

medal medal

they did play such an important role in the war..

So did merchant marine supply vessels, but I'm not sure they'll add a defenseless cargo ship to play.

Subs are an after thought as far as I'm concerned. You need to look at it from a game balance perspective, you add subs, you then need to devise systems surrounding which ships, planes, vehicles etc can spot them, how they are spotted, how deep can they go, how long can they remain that deep, what weapons will be available to destroy them, what platforms will have those weapons. Honestly I came up with all that in less than 30 seconds, and I'm sure that given another 30 seconds I could have come up with another 10 more.

The biggest issues with implementing subs are, what will be in place to stop them from being "the last player AFK at the bottom of the ocean drawing the match out to its full time limit" or "unable to be spotted and / or destroyed by the only remaining players".

Please don't take these statements as encouraging a reply here, my suggestion for those who are very interested in the implementation of submarines when / if naval forces are developed is to create a well organized thread on the suggestions section of the forums, if you pool and organize your information into a thoughtful post I can guarantee the developers will take notice, whether they choose to act on it or not is another matter.

Problem with submarine warfare for a game is that it is so complicated.  All sort of detection systems, all sort of counter measures to the detection system, it just takes a lot more work to put into a game than lobbing 1 tonne shells 10 miles.

Edited by BuccaneerBill

Well, prepare for a long post, there will be a TL, DR

As you may know, Canada and it;s navy were an integral part to the survival of great Britain throughout the 2nd World War through training and supply shipments. Canada's navy and air force were respectively the 4th largest in the world by the end of WW2.  As such, I have decided to propose many ships of varying tiers that could be added to the British navy tree as a sub-tree. (Similar to Italy in the German Line)

Cruisers

Aurora (2x6",6x4", 8x21" TT)

Quebec (9x6", 8x4", 6x21" TT, Many 20mm and 40mm)

Ontario (9x6", 10x4", 6x21" TT, Many 20mm and 40mm)

Armed Merchant Cruisers

Prince David (Early) (4x6", 2x3")

Prince David (Late) (4x4", 2x2 pdrs, 8x20mm)

Prince Henry (Early) (4x6", 2x3")

Prince Henry (Late) (4x4", 2x2 pdrs, 8x20mm)

Prince Robert (Early) (4x6", 2x3")

Prince Robert (Late) (10x4", 2x2pdrs, 6x20mm)

Aircraft Carriers

Nabob (2x5", 16x40mm, 20x20mm, 20 Aircraft)

Puncher (2x5", 16x40mm, 20x20mm, 20 Aircraft)

Warrior (24x2pdr, 19x40mm, 30 Aircraft)

Magnificent (24x40mm, 30 Aircraft)

Destroyers

Many ww1-era types.. (not going to mention)

River Class (12) 

Town Clas (8)

Tribal Class (8)

V and C classes (4)

Corvettes (Many Many Many of them)

Flower Class (64)

Flower Class (Revised) (6)

Flower Class (Increased Endurance) (15)

Castle Class (12)

Frigates

River Class (33)

Loch Class (3)

Minesweepers

Basset Class (4)

Bangor Class (Early) (10)

Bangor Class (Late) (10)

Algerine Class (12)

Bay Class (20)

ASW Trawlers

Western Isles Class

Armed Yachts

Guns

Ambler

Beaver

Caribou

Cougar

Elk

Grizzly

Husky

Lynx

Moose

Otter

Racoon

Reindeer

Renard

Sans Peur

Vison

Motor Torpedo Boats

G Type (11)

D Type (10)

B Type (80)

Arctic Patrol Vessel

Labrador (1) (2x40mm)

Submarines

HMCS U 190 (surrendered and recommissioned U-boat

HMCS U 889 (surrendered and recommissioned U-boat)

Notes on Tiering

In my imagination, low tiers are dominated by less modern heavy ships and modern light ships (For Fairness)

I imagine that the Armed Yachts, ASW Trawlers,  Minesweepers, MTBs and DDEs will all do very well in a wonderful, mixed, low tier arena. These ships can all coexist and be fair. The armed yachts are large but only posses one or two guns, although they are large Caliber, so they can be exceedingly dangerous to smaller vessels. The SAW trawlers can fight submarines and with their guns engaged these smaller surface vessels with success. MTBs will be very fun and useful torpedoing larger ships, DDEs will be very useful in stopping those attacks. Minesweepers, well, they do have guns.

Notes on Timeline

All Ships aside from these two are, as far as I know, in Timeline

Two ships I put there were out-of-timeline. They also happen to be very unique and perfect examples of what Premium High Tier Vessels Could look like, without the slightest hit of the cursed "OP".

Labrador is such a cute, toy boat looking ship that could serve as a icebreaker on an arctic map or as an auxiliary AAA platform. Like, I mean, look at her, how could you ever turn that down? She commissioned in 1954 as a arctic military patrol vessel and is still in service with the Canadian Coast Guard.

IMG_0012.jpg

The Other Ship that should be added is the Bras D'or

She was in commission for a number of years, but due to budget cutbacks she was never fully outfitted.

Fully set up, she would of had a lightweight VDS sonar and two triple Mk 32 torpedo tubes firing Mk36 torpedos

Did I mention she was 180 tons full load? Or that she could go 15 knots hull-in and 63 knots on her foils?

Yes, a 63 knot two-torpedo tube fast attack hydrofoil, battleships beware.

http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/canada/postwar/brasdor/

In Case the Speed is not SINKING IN...

IMG_0015.jpg

How could you turn these two down? I would really pay GE for those two, and grind all of the Canadian Line.

In Conclusion, Canada's Navy was the 4th largest in the world by the end of 1945. It deserves a small portion of the British tree for Herself. She had many good ships like cruiers, DDEs, Destroyers, Corvettes, Armed yachts, and more. Two premium vessels could be unique and legendary, of the money the game would make by selling them XD.

TLDR: Read the Conclusion

Edits to remove OTL stuff and general asthetics.

Edited by PanzerAce
  • Upvote 4
medal