P1_D4rk_FalcoN

New SB Players - Advice and tips -

Hey, yeh I changed my controls and realised that I was being too heavy on my tail rudder. I was holding the keys for far too long. I got off the runway today and even shot down a plane in a simulator battle. However my successful attempts have been mampered by 15minute waits for battles, and most of the time when a battle does start it says I have been disconnected from the server? is this a regular problem for people?

At first the best way to learn the handling of a plane is to go into a test flight with simulator setting and practice everything you may need to do into a battle (Turn radius, stall speed, stall recovery, climb rate, control responsiveness, etc...), landings, takeoffs, ground targets spotting and strafing.

The only thing i miss in test flight so far is a couple of aerial targets to try a combat scenario.

Edited by Nemesison
  • Upvote 1

You can set up custom test flights with targets and stuff and select which map you want, they play out kind of like the single missions. The selections for number of friendly planes doesn't seem to work though, it seems to always give you a few wingmen even if you select 0.

medal

DON'T GIVE UP, DON'T GIVE UP, DON'T GIVE UP and your efforts will pay off.

I am about to give up doing the broken tutorial!! I can land and takeoff my cane mk2 in test flight mode, SB, easily, but i the tutorial they give you a twitchy lagg, and you have to start taking off before you even settle down on therunway after landing!! plus if you do take off again, you have 10 seconds to do a complete 180 degree turn, and get to the checkpoint! I am going to have to ask the devs to do something, it is pretty impossible feeling right now :(s

(edit and oh yeah, it won't let me play SB untill I complete it!!

much :(

Edited by Aerobane
medal medal

custom battle? where is that found?

Menu top left pull down menu
Custom battles
At the bottom filter by mode arcade\realistic\simulator
If there is key symbol beside it a password is required.
Once you join depending on settings you can join a team based on faction or you can lock team red\blue
OR
You can create session and make your own custom battle just be sure to select Simmulator difficulty.
Either way once in a simulator custom battle if you ask for help you will likely find it. Try to ask specific questions if you can. I have helped lots of people myself. And I will even fly as a target with airshow smoke on to help people get use to spotting etc. Edited by CAN_Yeager

Hi all,

I'm Chappers and I have been playing War Thunder for the past 3-4 months. Started pretty much like everyone else, Arcade. Then Joined a squadron and moved up to RB. Stuck at this and get fair presentable at it. Then one of the squadron guys (who had been playing SB for some weeks) convinced me to have a go. I used my mouse for the first time, and loved it. So started to research a Joystick. By chance a friend then gave me one for me to try it out and I have not looked back since. I now use a Sidewinder. Its not even the force feedback one and it works well.

It took 4 games for me to bag my first none AI kill. 4 Games, I was stunned and chuffed at the same time. The felling you get when you are working that hard to not stall, watch your altitude, watch your dials and not get shot down yourself, to name but a few things is demanding but rewarding too!

I love this mode now, and have not played anything since. 25 hours nearly notched up now.

However, I will say this to all new players. You get good days, good games that seem to string along nicely, but more often than not, your will suffer very bad days. Infact, if you go a game without doing anything in it, THAT is a success! YOU'VE LIVED to fight another day. But they will continue for long stretches and it will p*** you off and your want to throw the towel in. DON'T!! It will get better, but slowly. Its taken me (and I play this most evenings and do shift work, so play it during the day) 3 weeks to get 25 hours under my belt. These guys that have 200-500+ hours have been playing it a very long time, like over a year!

Do not lose the faith. You will get there. Even I have to tell myself regularly! Then a good game comes along and it makes it all the worth while.

This section of the forum has been invaluable to me. It was brought to my attention by my friend and I have used its wealth of knowledge alot. USE IT YOURSELF. I changed a few graphics settings and it changed my game completely! Such a simple alteration too! Brilliant.

So, to finish. Practice, practice, and more practice. Read, learn, develop, practice. Enjoy, learn, read, change things, practice! Then one day it will go 'CLICK' and your being doing better most days than not.

Enjoy, and hope to see you in the sky's, say HI, i'll reply :D

Kind regards

Chappers.

• Upvote 3

I am about to give up doing the broken tutorial!! I can land and takeoff my cane mk2 in test flight mode, SB, easily, but i the tutorial they give you a twitchy lagg, and you have to start taking off before you even settle down on therunway after landing!! plus if you do take off again, you have 10 seconds to do a complete 180 degree turn, and get to the checkpoint! I am going to have to ask the devs to do something, it is pretty impossible feeling right now :(s

(edit and oh yeah, it won't let me play SB untill I complete it!!

much :(

Dont give up Dont give up Dont give up Dont give up Dont give up Dont give up Dont give up Dont give up Dont give up Dont give up Dont give up Dont give up Dont give up. The tutorial is a pile of floral as is well documented - somewhere on here someone has helpfully made a youtube guide to how to do the tutorial (thats how bad the tutorial is...). You will pass it. It WILL be worth it  :yes:

Hi all,

I'm Chappers and I have been playing War Thunder for the past 3-4 months. Started pretty much like everyone else, Arcade. Then Joined a squadron and moved up to RB. Stuck at this and get fair presentable at it. Then one of the squadron guys (who had been playing SB for some weeks) convinced me to have a go. I used my mouse for the first time, and loved it. So started to research a Joystick. By chance a friend then gave me one for me to try it out and I have not looked back since. I now use a Sidewinder. Its not even the force feedback one and it works well.

It took 4 games for me to bag my first none AI kill. 4 Games, I was stunned and chuffed at the same time. The felling you get when you are working that hard to not stall, watch your altitude, watch your dials and not get shot down yourself, to name but a few things is demanding but rewarding too!

I love this mode now, and have not played anything since. 25 hours nearly notched up now.

However, I will say this to all new players. You get good days, good games that seem to string along nicely, but more often than not, your will suffer very bad days. Infact, if you go a game without doing anything in it, THAT is a success! YOU'VE LIVED to fight another day. But they will continue for long stretches and it will p*** you off and your want to throw the towel in. DON'T!! It will get better, but slowly. Its taken me (and I play this most evenings and do shift work, so play it during the day) 3 weeks to get 25 hours under my belt. These guys that have 200-500+ hours have been playing it a very long time, like over a year!

Do not lose the faith. You will get there. Even I have to tell myself regularly! Then a good game comes along and it makes it all the worth while.

This section of the forum has been invaluable to me. It was brought to my attention by my friend and I have used its wealth of knowledge alot. USE IT YOURSELF. I changed a few graphics settings and it changed my game completely! Such a simple alteration too! Brilliant.

So, to finish. Practice, practice, and more practice. Read, learn, develop, practice. Enjoy, learn, read, change things, practice! Then one day it will go 'CLICK' and your being doing better most days than not.

Enjoy, and hope to see you in the sky's, say HI, i'll reply :D

Kind regards

Chappers.

+1 for the above chappers - sums it up nicely  :good:

From my short personal experience in SIM I believe aquiring new players would be possible if more people would admit that this mode is fine played with mouse (after tweaking some in test flights and so on) but maybe not if competing against a more serious stick user with 50+ hours in FW190 or higher tiered plane.

Low tier funfest and encouragement might inspire some to purchase a joystick and leave the two other -in my opinion extremely tedious- game modes, forever!

Yesterday I did my first simulation battle using the mousejoy setup by the person who made the video in the OP of this thread. And it works really well if you want to get into simulation battles and you don't have a joystick the mousejoy control's are perfectly fine.
On my first sortie in the He112-V2 I got shot down by someone who knows what they are doing, yes there is no indication of enemies or ground targets or allies (unless you are close to your allies) but everyone has this "handicap" but its fine, its extremely fun, even my flight time of 9mins I still had fun. Its going to take practice, I did some test flight's using SB control scheme and flew around for a while practiced some ACM and taking off and landing. I'm sticking with this gamemode. SB vetran's you now have another newbie SB pilot to fly with/shoot down :p

• Upvote 2

FRB can actually be pretty relaxing, if you are flying an attack plane. There is a good chance no one is even going to find you, and if they do, you aren't always dead meat. Last night I had just taken off for another bombing and strafing run in the BF-110C4, when out of nowhere tracers fly by me. I get a glimpse of a P39s nose as I pop into tail gunnery view, then back to cockpit to try and use my low speed turn to maybe get a shot. I jettison my bombs, and at the same time I see "aircraft destroyed". I'm like WTF? Thought maybe I did some magic trick and hit him with my bombs, but I checked the replay and it was just one or two tail gun hits and he crashed, which gave me the kill :). It is so nice knowing that just because someone got the drop on you doesn't mean you are toast, because its a lot harder to line up shots with cockpits and no external view and no target view.

medal

I was reading the first part of your post simpliciter and it sounded exactly like the Simulation event I was in (Hurricane MK2) Shooting my machine guns at this BF110 hit him a few times, then the battle (for me) went down hill after that.

Alright, I guess this is the next best thing to starting a new thread.

I'm having a weird problem with the K4. The control stiffening is setting in at seemingly random moments, 300kph IAS while banking once or during a roll another time. Dead on both occasions.

One other time it set in at ~550 kph IAS in a dive but I was able to pull out, barely. So it worked fine then

So yeah, gave me a repair bill twice now for something I absolutely seem to have no control over.

Game responds fine otherwise, ping is fine, no packet loss. Using 

Any ideas?

Somebody in the FRB chatroom just told me "the K4 is broken", which I realise for certain areas, breakup speed for example, but does that expand to stiffening?

If so, screw this plane.

medal

Yay! tutorial stopped glitching out for me and I was able to play my first SB battle today! I am SOOO bad at aiming, but it was fun I got some hits playing my ki 61. I then played my spitfire I crashed on takeoff :( by the time I repaired and took off again, only one guy left on their team but i did get some landing craft!

medal medal

Is there a way to set 'trim' on the joystick for planes with no aileron r elevator trim?

There is but you might not like it. You can set a permanent "offset" in the axis setup, but its permanent and will affect all planes.

• Upvote 1
medal

How to set trim axis so that one push of joystick HAT switch increases/decreases value by 1%? Joystick is Defender Cobra M5. 

Under full aircraft controls, full aerodynamics, edit the trim axis you want by dbl clicking it or select it and click edit axis. Map the buttons you want for increase and decrease value, turn on "relative control" option below that, and adjust the slider for "relative control sensitivity". I forget whether or not you have to turn on relative control sensitivity first or map the buttons first, but adjusting that value changes how much trim you add or subtract with the buttons. Takes some trial and error but you can get it to where a momentary click adds about 1%, and if you hold it down longer it will add a couple % a second. At first mine was way too sensitive before I figured that out :)

medal

Map the buttons you want for increase and decrease value...

Just a side note here - when setting strict buttons from HAT switch, be carefull to disable axis detection on this screen - its upper section. First time I set this I used to have buttons and also axis button was automatically selected - then values was changing into weird way.

Under full aircraft controls, full aerodynamics, edit the trim axis you want by dbl clicking it or select it and click edit axis. Map the buttons you want for increase and decrease value, turn on "relative control" option below that, and adjust the slider for "relative control sensitivity". I forget whether or not you have to turn on relative control sensitivity first or map the buttons first, but adjusting that value changes how much trim you add or subtract with the buttons. Takes some trial and error but you can get it to where a momentary click adds about 1%, and if you hold it down longer it will add a couple % a second. At first mine was way too sensitive before I figured that out :)

So there is no simple proven way to do that? 

medal medal medal

Not outturn, but evade long enough to outrun.

I'm using minimum fuel load in my Hurri II and this is just ridiculous. ._.

Completely agree.

Edited by Fog_of_War
medal medal medal

Kota opened the door to FRB for me.

So to make this official: Thank you very much!

I love this game mode! Finally my complicated thinking and patience is rewarded and no longer punished, like in the two arcade modes. ;)

You can't bring this damn black Biplane in front of your gunsights down? It is probably me, foolin' ya'! ;P

Greetings to my new comrades,

Jayfragxx

• Upvote 1