MQLDUfe.png

Japanese Aircraft Cockpit's and Instrument Panel Identification Guide

こんにちわ!

Hello!

Other Cockpit Guides

Words Often Used Interchangeably

• Tilt Meter - Inclinometer: Measure the angle of Tilt or Slope using gravity.
  • Variometer - Vertical Speed - Rate of Climb: Climb Rate.
  • Tachometer - RPM Indicator: Revolutions Per Minutes of the crank shaft.
  • Coolant Temp - Water Temp: Engine Cooling Sysetm.

Common Character Identification

• 圧力 - (Physics) Pressure.
  • - (Suffix) Measuring device, Gauge.
  • - (Direction) Left
  • - (Direction) Right
  • - (Duration) Time
  • - Oil
  • - Basically the coolant

Tip!

• Head Movement: You can move your pilots head to get a better look inside the cockpit using head-movement controls.

[spoiler]0ulm.jpg[/spoiler]

• Devices: Sign into the forums from your Smartphone, Android or Tablet and view the guide for hands free and alt-tab free view of a cockpit.

[spoiler]http://imageshack.us/a/img22/2396/mmrl.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img542/5474/rvxf.png
http://imageshack.us/a/img541/9729/53os.png[/spoiler]

Aircraft Cockpit Interiors and Instrument Panels

F1M2 "Pete"

bF0AHAz.jpg

Kawasaki Ki-10 "Army Type 95 Fighter" "Perry"

• I'm unsure about the Oil and Coolant temps. 

Ki-10_cockpit.jpg

A5M4 "Type 96 carrier-based fighter" "Claude"

• Thanks to YOLOBOI for translating this ones original document.

A5M4_cockpit.jpg

A6M2 Reisen "Zero" "Zeke"

• Pretty sure all the Zero cockpits are the same.

A6M_cockpit.jpg

Ki-43 Hayabusa  "Peregrine Falcon" "Oscar"

WfeMnys.jpg

Ki-44 Shoki 鍾馗 "Zhong Kui" "Tojo"

MMhO7Qw.jpg

Ki-61-Ic Hien 飛燕 "Flying Swallow" "Tony" 

• I assume all Hien cockpits are the same as well. If not, left me know and I'll do another if necessary.

IqMMytd.jpg

Ki-84 Hayate 疾風 "Gale" "Frank"

X6QVa8O.jpg

N1K2-J Shiden Kai 紫電 "Violet Lightning-Modified" "George"

• Came to the conclusion that the earlier left gauge said 耐寒油壓計.I'm going to assume this is a [Methanol] gauge. The Methanol itself acting as a Refrigerant while it boosts. 
  • The Right saying 燃料壓力計. Or [Fuel Pressure Gauge.]

dnEQFpP.jpg

J2M3 Raiden 雷電 "Thunderbolt" "Jack"

ItkSEKM.jpg

Japanese Aircraft Wiki

Cockpit Wiki

More Below

Edited by Heliosiah
  • Upvote 56
medal medal medal

Aichi D3A1 "Val"

• This plane has Landing Gear Lights, and I have no idea why, possibly brake or flap indicators instead. 
  • Courtesy~

I think it should be Dive Brake Indicator Lights not Landing Gear Indication Lights. It was later changed to Dive Brake Angle Indicator in D3A2.

D3A1_cockpit.jpg

Nakajima B5N2 "Kate"

• (Inboard) fuel tanks hidden behind left cockpit light.

B5N2_cockpit.jpg

B7A2 Ryusei "流星 "Ryūsei" "Grace"

oIMNF8P.jpg

Ki-45 Toryu 屠龍 "Dragon Slayer "Nick"

V6aYTl1.jpg

J7W1 Shinden 震電 "Magnificent Lightning"

diLthFd.jpg

Ki-200 Shusui

• Thanks to dogfighterX, Sliver, and YOLOBOI, for proving me with information on this cockpit, this was one of the more difficult ones. 

Ki200_cockpit.jpg

Kikka 橘花 "Kitsuka"

XEbeyUp.png

F-86-F30 Sabre❁

G3jnCTu.jpg

Edited by Heliosiah
  • Upvote 19
medal medal medal

Damn nice job. Between the Japanese lettering and the Russian lettering (which looks like all the keys I never used on a calculator) I was starting to think it was time to learn a 3rd and fourth language. 

Thank you for your time and effort.

• Upvote 1

Damn nice job. Between the Japanese lettering and the Russian lettering (which looks like all the keys I never used on a calculator) I was starting to think it was time to learn a 3rd and fourth language. 

Thank you for your time and effort.

You're welcome :D I got slightly discouraged when halfway through the Ki-61, a thunderstorm decided to surge my power, but it's all good now :p

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

jon-stewart-colbert-bravo.gif

Another brilliant thread Heliosiah, keep up the good stuff

• Upvote 5

Great thread mate. 

On the N1K2, the two instruments:

The one left from the artificial horizon (Oil/Fuel Pressure):  IMHO this might have some info about Methanol)

耐寒油壓計:

耐寒 (taikan) = cold-resistant

油壓 (yuatsu) = oil pressure (modern: 油圧)

計 (kei) = measuring device

The one you are unsure on the right bottom part of the desk (Oil? Methanol? Pressure):

燃料壓力計:

燃料 (nenryou) = fuel

壓力 (atsuryoku) = pressure (modern: 圧力)

計 (kei) = measuring device

N1K2 Shiden Kai

• I was unable to tell if that was Methanol Pressure or Oil Pressure. It appears to say Atsuryoku 圧力. Or possibly 油力圧, but that doesn't make sense to me. I'll double check later.​

nq66.jpg

I might do more, but I don't know if I should have this in this section of the forums.

Great thread mate. 

On the N1K2, the two instruments:

The one left from the artificial horizon (Oil/Fuel Pressure):  IMHO this might have some info about Methanol)

耐寒油壓計:

耐寒 (taikan) = cold-resistant

油壓 (yuatsu) = oil pressure (modern: 油圧)

計 (kei) = measuring device

The one you are unsure on the right bottom part of the desk (Oil? Methanol? Pressure):

燃料壓力計:

燃料 (nenryou) = fuel

壓力 (atsuryoku) = pressure (modern: 圧力)

計 (kei) = measuring device

ohhh so it was fuel. I totally didn't think of that. I only thought of either oil or methyl. Thanks. At least I got atsuryoku right. And I couldn't quite see the 計 well enough so thank's for that :D that's actually very useful. 

And are you saying that it should basically be switched? The one on the right being the fuel pressure, and the one on the left having to do with methanol and oil? Methanol injection did have a side effect of cooling this planes engine. I'll update the photo afterwards.

medal medal medal

jon-stewart-colbert-bravo.gif

Another brilliant thread Heliosiah, keep up the good stuff

Considering I love Colbert and Leibowitz , this is the best gif.

medal medal medal

ohhh so it was fuel. I totally didn't think of that. I only thought of either oil or methyl. Thanks. At least I got atsuryoku right. And I couldn't quite see the 計 well enough so thank's for that :D that's actually very useful. 

And are you saying that it should basically be switched? The one on the right being the fuel pressure, and the one on the left having to do with methanol and oil? Methanol injection did have a side effect of cooling this planes engine. I'll update the photo afterwards.

I don't know mate what it should have meant :-) + I'm not Japanese native (although I had fallen in love with Japanese culture and my nature is quite similar :-)

計 is also used as a suffix for measuring instruments :-)

• Upvote 1

I don't know mate what it should have meant :-) + I'm not Japanese native (although I had fallen in love with Japanese culture and my nature is quite similar :-)

計 is also used as a suffix for measuring instruments :-)

Ah well thanks anyway, it at least helped clear up my confusion :D

medal medal medal

Thanks to YOLOBOI for translating this  :good: He is the great one !

rcya.jpg

32 Arrangement of instruments

Dashboard of Number 2 Mod 1
1. oxygen pressure gauge
2. front and back tiltmeter model 2
3. turn and bank indicator model 2
4. compass model 1
5. altimeter model 3
6. tachometer no.2 model 3
7. oil pressure gauge model 1
8. oil temprature gauge model 1
9. airspeed indicator no.1 nodel 2 or 3
10. clock
11. fuel pressure model 2
12. injection pump
13. instrument panel lamp
14. fuel quantity gauge
15. main switch
16. air valve
17. boost gauge model 2
18. light resistor
19. gun camera
20. cylinder head temp gauge
21. oil circuit control
※ 7 and 11 can be merged and use fuel pressure gauge model 3

Dashboard after Number 2 Mod 2
1. fuel meter (leftside tank)
2. fuel meter (rightside tank)
3. injection pump
4. main switch
5. gun camera
6. ?missing? probably airspeed indicator
7. clock
8. turn and bank indicator model 2
9. compass type 92 model 1
10. front and back tiltmeter
11. altimeter model 3
12. oil temprature gauge model 1
13. fuel lubricant pressure gauge model 3
14. tachometer no.2 model 3
15. cylinder head temp gauge
16. boost gauge model 2
※ air speed indicator and altimeter uses one pitot tube, turn and bank indicator uses one venturi tube
medal medal

Thanks to YOLOBOI for translating this  :good: He is the great one !

(...)

Very nice. want me to add a screenshot with everything labeled from it? I also have what I think is the f1m2 petes cockpit which needs translating. 

medal medal medal

Yeah, you can add in first/second post in this topic such a screenshot.

medal medal

• Tilt Meter - Inclinometer: Measure the angle of Tilt or Slope using gravity.

Sorry to be picky but, I just am :<

The turn and slip indicator is an electrically driven gyro instrument that works on the principle of gyroscopic precession.  As the gyroscope gimbals it turns the needle you see to indicate a rate of turn, not angle of bank.

The inclinometer is often referred to as the "ball" and indicates coordination of a turn (i.e. slipping or skidding turns).  The phrase "step on the ball" comes from using rudder in the direction that the ball is displaced to center it in the inclinometer.

the-more-you-know-o.gif

Sorry to be picky but, I just am :<

The turn and slip indicator is an electrically driven gyro instrument that works on the principle of gyroscopic precession.  As the gyroscope gimbals it turns the needle you see to indicate a rate of turn, not angle of bank.

The inclinometer is often referred to as the "ball" and indicates coordination of a turn (i.e. slipping or skidding turns).  The phrase "step on the ball" comes from using rudder in the direction that the ball is displaced to center it in the inclinometer.

the-more-you-know-o.gif

Its not talking about the turn and bank indicator, its talking about the tilt meter, something different. The inclinometer, not referring to the ball or bank, but referring to the vertical pitch or slope. If you look at the first photo "tilt meter" near the bottom. 

In the A5M4, it is a liquid filled tube, which moves up or down depending on pitch. Different from the Turn and Bank indicator at the top.

5c9t.png

In the Stuka it often looks like this 

inclinometer-scale.gif

While the inclinometer can refer to the ball, the purpose of listing the word at the top was for the fact that it and tilt meter can be used interchangeably. 

the-more-you-know-o.gif

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

Well that's interesting, never seen anything like that in an airplane aside from the attitude indicator, but that's another gyro instrument that's prone to errors at high angles of pitch or bank.

Seems unreliable considering the way that it works.  You'd need to be in a 1G maneuver to get an accurate reading, so I'd assume that's why they aren't very common.

Well that's interesting, never seen anything like that in an airplane aside from the attitude indicator, but that's another gyro instrument that's prone to errors at high angles of pitch or bank.

Seems unreliable considering the way that it works.  You'd need to be in a 1G maneuver to get an accurate reading, so I'd assume that's why they aren't very common.

It's very primitive. Which is why it's only seen in early aircraft like the A5M4, B5N1, or the graph which is seen inside of the Ki-10 or Stuka. ill get a screenshot of those later

medal medal medal