Russian's 85mm is weird man

Shiny_Pant

At certain impact angle (from 60 to 70 degrees) the 85mm shell seem to have the ability to ignore armor completely. I've screen shot the result I've seen from protection analysis and is certain it is true in the live game as well since I've had it happened to me (An SU-85 penetrated my Jumbo's upper front armor plate while I was peaking over a hill and a T34-85 penned the side of my Jumbo at an impossible angle).

Screenshot 2022-11-23 231719.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-23 232043.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-23 231321.jpg

Screenshot 2022-11-23 232713.jpg

• Upvote 2
medal medal

Doesn't it happen with other weapons? From the above screens, the PROTECTION of the armor seems to go down a lot on the spots you are choosing...so it should happen with a lot of other guns...

It may be some type of bug that decreases the armor thickness between some armor plates or something...

BR-365A has crazy normalization, the "K" is garbage btw. - beside that it seems to be a bug in the protectionviewer, 2 mm sidearmor on the Jumbo is flat out impossible.

If that is possible in a live game it might by a issue with overpressure.

Edited by Noir89
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I just want to point out this isn't an entire armor plate issue its only on small spots that would be impossible to aim properly in a regular game. Although luck could screw you over in this one, the probability of it happening is very low.

Edited by CTCrusader

8 minutes ago, Josephs_Piano said:

Really need to see it in context - so where's the replays?

Protection analysis is speculation really - it gives some idea, but never seems to be perfectly accurate.

Not needed really, this has been known for ages.

It's easily proven, just angle a plate until you can barely pen it with the 85mm APHEBC for example, then shoot it with the Tiger H1 for example.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

20221125215747_1.jpg.44db53bc3ab7d8b3d71

I think that's the armor between crew and engine appartment somehow showing up, probably because of volumetric shells or it's somehow extenting outside the vehicle.

The round will actually penetrate that spot. Probably because volumetric makes the shell ignore the side armor somehow.

After some more investigation, it's not because of some internal armor, because 76mm and 90mm AP didn't react in the same way.

However I could create this effect with the Japanese 75mm APHE shell.

So it seems the cause is the armor penetrating effect of the explosion from APHE shells, which is added to the penetration of the shell somehow or in some makes it inside the tank.

Here you can see 150mm APHE with 38mm penetration (31mm penetration of the explosive), penetrating the side of a Jumbo with 76.2mm side armor.

20221125220843_1.jpg.d811a5036909f94aef5

It might be due to volumetric, where part of the shell clips inside the vehicle at high impact angles, and then the explosion appears on the other side of the plate.

Created a report:

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/jvdBSVjW4lqS

Edited by KillaKiwi
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

It is due to a buff from the old days when IS/Tigers were top dogs, it was never reversed and is entirely unhistorical. Those shells can have slightly better angle performance IRL due to the design of the tip(it's like a cup that digs in and steers the front of the shell into the armour slightly in simulations) but not better than a dart lol and certainly not like the BS in game. 

This is a big part why the 85mms have such disgusting K/ds in thunderskill. It negates armour angles.

medal

13 hours ago, N4CR_ said:

It is due to a buff from the old days when IS/Tigers were top dogs, it was never reversed and is entirely unhistorical. Those shells can have slightly better angle performance IRL due to the design of the tip(it's like a cup that digs in and steers the front of the shell into the armour slightly in simulations) but not better than a dart lol and certainly not like the BS in game. 

This is a big part why the 85mms have such disgusting K/ds in thunderskill. It negates armour angles.

The issue described by OP actually has nothing to do with Soviet shells and can be recreated with all APHE shells.

medal medal medal medal medal medal