World War Mode News (November 2022)

1 hour ago, [email protected] said:

The mode allocates certain crew slots to specific classes of vehicle which you may or may not have a good crew with. Its a roll of the dice whether the vehicle you are playing has a good crew with that specific crew slot or not. I have expert crew on all the British vehicles yet only one of them has that crew because of this.

So what you do is at the bottom of the pre-battle menu, sort your lineup out so it matches a preset with your best crews (you can't import a hangar preset, but you can recreate it with rightclicks).

Then when you go into game, it honors those crew assignments.

This is my preset I created first in the regular hangar as a mockup to get the crews right: image.png.74fc19d1a716df6b1845906fbff6ef

This is my lineup in the WWM battle interface after I dragged things around a bit before my first WWM battle to match the mockup (I have Spitfire and Hurricane on the same slot and hotswap depending on the mission I'm going into):

image.png.ecb02dc9209c56a142d393011a0486

Now when I go into battle, it honors those crew and vehicle selections from the WWM battle menu, all good, all experted in game as expected. As you can see, because I only run with six crews in regular games, if I drive out a Stuart, it's a crew level 1 Stuart, because it's off the end. On my German line up I have three level 1 slots, same reason.

The only problem I have is it doesn't seem to consistently honour camo selections, so my all-black Hurricane and Blenheim are showing up in default camoes instead. Not sure why that would be.

Edited by Bruce_R1
  • Like 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• Developer
28 minutes ago, Bruce_R1 said:

The only problem I have is it doesn't seem to consistently honour camo selections, so my all-black Hurricane and Blenheim are showing up in default camoes instead. Not sure why that would be.

Can you add more details about this issue?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, DmGordeev said:

Can you add more details about this issue?

Sure. In hangar I have the all-black Blenheim and Hurricane camoes that you get for enough kills in-game both selected as my plane camo. I fly those planes regularly in random battles and they always appear in their all-black variant camo. In WWM yesterday night, they both flew out in the standard camoes instead. I didn't get a screenshot, but that is the nature of the problem.

• Developer
On 17/11/2022 at 20:07, Bruce_R1 said:

If a Sergeant starts an operation, I am told they can view but they cannot move any of the friendly pieces so they have to just sit and be attacked in place. And there's no one listed in the commander slot in the operation interface. Bug report: https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/xc3GIG0Sae6X

That sergeant was on a console. I did one myself as an officer (on PC) to test and it worked as expected.

Reveal hidden contents

Fix for this issue has been released: https://warthunder.com/en/game/changelog/current/1435
You can restart the game, the update will be applied.

• Like 2

This isnt so much a bug but more of a suggestion.

Im not sure how much went into consideration the difference in quantity of Germany players versus Britain players and how this can effect the quality of lineups that each side will muster in a battle.

I have played matches of WW where every Britain player had no Britain medals and not a single vehicle that wasn't stock.

Britains stock vehicles for this mode are drastically worse than their later tree counterparts, Valentine 1 which has insufficient armor, mobility and armament taking up spots for Sherman IIs and Matilda IIs which have inferior firepower, mobility and overall armor profile taking up spots for Churchill IIIs.

I understand that having access to better vehicles because you have played said faction tree is the point, but I think some consideration should be taken to account for the fact that Germany is likely the most played nation in the game and Britain is effectively a minor nation, meaning that a lower quantity of Britain players are going to have access to superior vehicles, causing imbalance.

Germanys best vehicle for this mode, the Panzer 4 F2 is accessible stock btw.

Edited by [email protected]
medal medal

For the controls for building your line-up try clicking on the "Help" button besides the "Battle" button. It will pop up a screen that shows you the various buttons.

17 hours ago, bananomet said:

I quit WT for 2 years when they canned AIR RB EC in favor of the WWM around Supersonic update, so I was not a part of it back then.

Anyway, I managed to somehow make a lineup. Still have no idea why are the tanks grouped into different groups. I already have crews for all of them, but I had to re-crew most of the tanks anyway because they are for some reason Pz IV have like 3 different groups lol. And I can't take both Panzerjägers because they are in the same group.

Basically each of the "armies" that the commanders move around has a certain number of tanks in it, and each time a player loses a tank in a match it's lost from the army. These tanks are tracked in groups; you can see a full list of groups at https://wiki.warthunder.com/Second_Battle_of_El_Alamein

But to give you an example for the German team: Panzer IVs are divided into two groups: "Pz.Kpfw. IV (kz)" (E & F1) and "Pz.Kpfw. IV (lg)" (F2) depending on whether they have a short 75 or long 75 as their main gun. So an army might have "Pz.Kpfw. IV (kz): 35" and "Pz.Kpfw. IV (lg): 20", and if players lose 3x PzIV E, 2x PzIV F1, and 3x PzIV F2 during a match the army will now have "Pz.Kpfw. IV (kz): 30" and "Pz.Kpfw. IV (lg): 17".

You can choose whether to have the E or the F1 as your personal "Pz.Kpfw. IV (kz)", but you can't have both types of "Pz.Kpfw. IV (kz)" in your lineup.

You'll get a random set of tanks at the start of each match depending on what's available to the army (you're more likely to get vehicle classes that the army has a lot of): So you might get 1x "Fighter", 1x "Pz.Kpfw. III (kz)", 1x "SPG", and 2x "SPAA", which means you'd be able to spawn one of whatever you chose as your fighter, one of whatever you chose as your short gun PzIII, one of whatever you chose as your SPG, and two of whatever you chose as your SPAA before the match started.

17 hours ago, bananomet said:

Still have no idea how the spawn system works though and why do we have only SPAA available in one battle against Matilda tanks and the next battle we have 10v2 game with 6 on our team spawn-bombing those 2 poor enemies with Bf109's...

That's largely due to what sort of armies the the commanders are throwing into battle. If your commander and/or players waste all the tanks you're likely to end up in a situation where your team doesn't have many good tanks left to spawn. And it's quite common to get matches where only one team has aircraft (which can be a bit of a field day for SPAA if you're on the team without aircraft.

Note that this operation is set up to loosely follow a real battle that was a strong British victory. Your win condition as Germany isn't to defeat the British army, but rather just to delay them. Having played a couple of operations with each team on the British you feel like you're part of a steamroll, while on the German side you feel like you're trying to hold back an avalanche.

If you're going to play as Germany you'll probably have more fun if you go in with the attitude that "we may not defeat the Brits, but we're going to make them pay for their victory". (You might "win" the operation, but that's just because your team's objective isn't actually to win the battle, but rather slow down the defeat)

10 hours ago, Bruce_R1 said:

Sure. In hangar I have the all-black Blenheim and Hurricane camoes that you get for enough kills in-game both selected as my plane camo. I fly those planes regularly in random battles and they always appear in their all-black variant camo. In WWM yesterday night, they both flew out in the standard camoes instead. I didn't get a screenshot, but that is the nature of the problem.

I noticed that for aircraft it kept resetting my ammo and bomb load-out to the default as well, so it might be related to that. Tanks kept me ammo selection, but planes didn't.

Edited by Grainman_
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Grainman_ said:

I noticed that for aircraft it kept resetting my ammo and bomb load-out to the default as well, so it might be related to that. Tanks kept me ammo selection, but planes didn't.

Same. To be fair I see that in random battles a lot too. Sometimes a plane I've just brought out will remember them from last time it was in a lineup, sometimes it won't. Never saw it "forget" a plane camo outside of WWM though. Strange it only seems to be the black British night fighter ones.

I've played a couple of operations each as Germany and Britain and I enjoyed it, so I hope we see more of this sort of thing, even if it is just mini "inter-season" events like this rather than full seasons.

I've got a few suggestions and observations though:

• When bombing "artillery" targets the Achilles is a much harder target than the Marder, which makes those scenarios a little unbalanced. (And the fact that most people don't know how to use dive bombers properly doesn't help)
  • The "imbalance" mechanic for joining battles was a little annoying. 2 was too low and locked me out of some battles that I should have been able to join, while 20 meant there was a fair number of ridiculous battles. I'd suggest a percentage system would work better (there's a big difference between 1v3 and 18v20), and possibly the larger army should be able to have more players (it makes sense that more players can join if the army has 150 tanks versus 50 tanks; though I still probably wouldn't allow it to have 3x as many players)
  • According to https://wiki.warthunder.com/World_War:_How_ratings_will_be_calculated#How_player_rating_will_be_calculated our player rating will include win rate as a major component, but victory is heavily dependant on what battles the commander sets up, so this discourages players from joining iffy battles, even if they help the team win the operation (I'm thinking some of the CAS matches in particular are almost always "lost" by the air team; and it's a perfectly legitimate strategy to throw in a poor army as a delaying tactic).
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Well,... I have to admit that the 2nd Alamein WWM is a disappointment. My first observation was that the terrain does not resemble the western desert at Alamein at all. The force compositions are completely off, with Pz IVF2s and Pz IIIJ1s, en masse, fighting Stuart III, Crusader II and AEC AA armoured cars. No Italian tanks or SPGs (Semovente M41/75) and no lend-lease Grants or Lee tanks for the British (I did see one Grant explode, probably one of those few lucky British players with the impossibly rare Grant in the British tech tree).

In short, there are far too many Marders and Pz IV F2s available to those of us on the German side and we are walking all over the British. Historically, the Germans had only 14 of the Marder III(t) H tank destroyers (26 had arrived in the spring for the Gazala battles) along with the remaining 11 Pzjgr I (27 arrived in early 41 with 5e Lt Div) in the 650th Pzjg Bn attached to 90th Light Div. The two panzer divisions split the 40 odd Pz IIF, 85 Pz IIIH/J (short 50mm), 88 Pz IIIJ (long 50mm), 10 Pz IVE and 27 Pz IVF2 as of 23 Oct 42 (plus about 10 tanks in rserve). I just came out of an operation where we overran the British spawn area within minutes, massacering the light British tanks in the process. It only got worse when our fighters and Stukas arrived. British respawns only led to more burning wrecks made worse when the fighters and Stukas added to the carnage in numbers not seen since 1939.

I was extremely surprised that there is no representation of either the Italian Ariete or Littorio armoured divisions nor the Trieste Motor Div, all who fought so valiantly at 2nd Alamein. This is especially surprising considering the Italian armoured divisions were paired with the German panzer divisions (15th and 21st) deployed in two corps (one north and one south) due to fuel shortages. Ariete, in particular, fought extremely well and stood to their last tank, forming the final roadblock allowing the rest of the axis army to begin retreating on 02 Nov. This is a big oversight.

British numbers and deployment are also lacking. The Stuarts, for example, were all grouped in the 7th Armoured Division (Light) and deployed in the south as a diversionary force to pin axis armour down. Most armoured brigades in the other two armoured divisions had battalions composed of one squadron Sherman, one of Lee/Grants and one of Crusader II/III. All the Valentines were deployed in independent tank  brigades and the Matilda was no longer a line tank (a few mine flail models were tested at 2nd Alamein, that's about it).

The WWM not even close to being balanced let alone being historically representative of the battle. Thanks very much for the effort, the concept is excellent, but the gameplay is flawed.

Cheers.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lord_Beresford said:

No Italian tanks or SPGs (Semovente M41/75) and no lend-lease Grants or Lee tanks for the British

Yeah, it's a bit off. Apparently (according to the dev posting in this thread) the engine doesn't really support vehicles from multiple nations in the same lineup.

One possible fix for that in future events might be to have armies that represent different nations on the same side. So 2/3 of the armies are German and 1/3 Italian, and you get either an all German or all Italian lineup depending on what battle you join, though getting that to work with air support might be fiddly. (Perhaps just treat the aircraft as German unless they're supporting an Italian ground army, and then they turn into Italian aircraft? It would be kind of funny, but would allow for both armies to be represented)

In short, there are far too many Marders and Pz IV F2s available to those of us on the German side and we are walking all over the British.

Weirdly I felt it tended to be the opposite. I felt the British tended to win a lot of individual missions, but tended to lose the overall operation due to not winning enough missions fast enough. The Shermans and Churchills where particularly nasty, at least when used properly. (I personally am a lot more comfortable with British tanks than German, so I did better with them, but on both sides I tended to feel like Britain was overwhelming the Germans at the tactical level at least)

It's possibly a skill issue, you might have been in an operation that had a lot of skilled German players compared to the operations I played. *shrug*

British numbers and deployment are also lacking. The Stuarts, for example, were all grouped in the 7th Armoured Division (Light) and deployed in the south as a diversionary force to pin axis armour down. Most armoured brigades in the other two armoured divisions had battalions composed of one squadron Sherman, one of Lee/Grants and one of Crusader II/III. All the Valentines were deployed in independent tank  brigades and the Matilda was no longer a line tank (a few mine flail models were tested at 2nd Alamein, that's about it).

I suspect they wanted each tank "army" to be fairly similar in composition rather than breaking them up by vehicle class like they often where in real life. Personally I'd probably prefer more realistic distributions myself (this army is all "Light Tanks", this one is a mix of "Medium Tanks" and "Cruiser Tanks", this one has all the "Infantry Tanks", etc), but I think it might frustrate a lot of players due to the unbalanced fights that would tend to result.

(As an aside I didn't notice huge swarms of Stuarts; the "Light Tank" class was the rarest in the British armies (typically being less than 10%) and a lot of players brought the Daimler instead of the Stuart any way.)

As someone new to WWM, I just don't get it. The number of times I have joined an operation, got into a vehicle, driven/flown a bit and then the mission ends just seems kind of pointless to me. It would be useful to have a tutorial in game just like the basic controls tutorials that explains each part. The help page, really doesn't help.

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I not sure what it is, but UK side looks a little bit stronger this time compared to Season 1. Can't say for sure, maybe because I'm playing solo.

On the important things. I got a game were the AI simply refused to move after a few units got killed. Sure we kinda failed defending at the beginning, but yeah...

https://warthunder.com/en/tournament/replay/3932566549430502

I would suggest also changing the pathing on that mission. Sending the AI to the middle of the map during the second stretch makes it too easy for the enemy team when their respawn is so close.

On a side note. I see that commanders can still spam battles. Since we can only play 3 battles at the same time it really becomes a way to waste the attacking side's time. Unless you have a really good team on the attacking side I don't see how they could win on a equally skilled matchup. You could call it strategy, but since most of the squadrons are relying on random players it might not be fair. Maybe a way would be to shorten the automatic mode timer to less time.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

6 hours ago, widepeepoSad said:

I not sure what it is, but UK side looks a little bit stronger this time compared to Season 1. Can't say for sure, maybe because I'm playing solo.

There's a solo mode against an AI??

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 19/11/2022 at 06:59, ZERO_OLYH said:

I hope that higher tier war which can me enjoy more, a very good game mode.

An alternate history post war WW setting in East Germany would be based

A huge bottleneck to this mode and the game in general is the small amount of mostly garbage maps in this game, WW mode needs more maps in order to be good

medal medal

So post mortem on this.

I thought the event metagame was reasonably balanced in the end. It would be interesting to know what W-L rates were.

If this augmented inter-squadron competitions, at about the current awards levels of SQB or automatic tournaments, I think that would be an improvement. It might be nice to see a little more ability to match good squads with good squads through some kind of "laddering" bases on squadron event scores... Even just only matching top half with top half, bottom with bottom half could have helped introduce people better.

But I think going back to the seasons with special vehicle awards would likely be too toxic again. Let it stay a side thing for squadrons to mess around with for bragging rights and small prizes.

It'd be more effective if operational commanders could send a message to all the squadron and also the mercs currently in the operation through the chat system, if only to say "good job". At the end. Even something unidirectional like that would help people feel as part of a team. Being able to send a chat to the main leader on the other side saying "gg" without having to look them up would also be nice. There were several times I would have told my opponent to "use your reinforcements dude" if I could have. But because you have to desquad to run the op (so that your squadmates can join games) it can become rather a lonely experience.

The new interface for finding your squadron's op is better than before, but it would be preferable for there still to be some way for non squadron people to find and join an op by number if their friends tell them which to join, or for people in the op to send an invite by chat. We got around it this time with our friends by leaving the op, squadding with them, and joining the op as a squad but it was inefficient and doesn't reflect that there are a lot of inter-squadron friendships and smaller squadron teamups that probably went unleveraged here. Previous seasons you could just tell anyone which # op to join. Getting rid of that long list was an improvement, but there were drawbacks to it.

Importing presets. A lot of people were confused how the crewing worked. If you just had the ability to import a preset you'd already sorted in hangar into the bottom of the pre-battle interface, I think people would have figured it out a lot sooner. I don't think changing the air ordnance each mission was that bad. I often had to think about what I wanted to carry in this operation.

A more prominent pop up message at the end of the op to players who got the SL bonus would be good.

Last suggestion. Sometimes a battle in queue looks really fun and juicy for all involved, but you can't get to it because you can only have two fights going at once. Maybe you could have a feature where if both sides agreed to accept the autoresolve results of a specific battle, while it's still white, then you just treat it as an autoresolve, to reduce the queue length and maybe get some of the better (often fairer) battles further down the queue out to the players to decide. Obviously if you're using a battle to delay, you might not want to agree, and that's fine. But if both sides feel, yeah, we can just do that one autoresolved and get it out of the way, why not let them?

Things that worked well:
**research bonus. Yeah that worked well, keep that.
**one battle-a-day box. Good incentive
**things were stable for the most part, queues were reasonable, no really weird glitches at the operational level or in joining battles that I saw

Overall, as a way to understand a little better how these weapon platforms were really used, as opposed to the game-y way we use them in custom battles, I think it's a useful addition to the game. Surprised and glad that you kept BVVD's promise and brought it back.

Edited by Bruce_R1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

• Developer
On 19/11/2022 at 05:30, Grainman_ said:

When bombing "artillery" targets the Achilles is a much harder target than the Marder, which makes those scenarios a little unbalanced. (And the fact that most people don't know how to use dive bombers properly doesn't help)

There were also complaints about Achilles on the ru-forum, I will look into it.

The "imbalance" mechanic for joining battles was a little annoying. 2 was too low and locked me out of some battles that I should have been able to join, while 20 meant there was a fair number of ridiculous battles. I'd suggest a percentage system would work better (there's a big difference between 1v3 and 18v20), and possibly the larger army should be able to have more players (it makes sense that more players can join if the army has 150 tanks versus 50 tanks; though I still probably wouldn't allow it to have 3x as many players)

With the introduction of the mechanics of joining an operation, restrictions such as the entry timer for squadron players and the allowed imbalance became a big hindrance. I'll remind that before imbalance = 2 only applied to random players, and squadrons could enter battles as they liked and play 20 people against 2 random players, because this is "their" operation and it is strange to limit them. Now we add random players to the operation and this is now also "their" operation. If a player has entered an operation, there is a battle in it that he could play, and not see a ban in the form of a timer or imbalance. The goal is to add people to the operations evenly and we are doing that. Now there is a problem that in the operation for each side there can be 80 people, but we see in it a battle of 3 against 7. It is not clear where the other 150 people are. This is the first appearance of this mechanic and we have already outlined some plan for its improvement and we will move in this direction - balancing players in the operation, and not in separate battles within it.

According to https://wiki.warthunder.com/World_War:_How_ratings_will_be_calculated#How_player_rating_will_be_calculated our player rating will include win rate as a major component, but victory is heavily dependant on what battles the commander sets up, so this discourages players from joining iffy battles, even if they help the team win the operation (I'm thinking some of the CAS matches in particular are almost always "lost" by the air team; and it's a perfectly legitimate strategy to throw in a poor army as a delaying tactic).

Firstly, the player's rating is a small part of the squadron's rating. Secondly, squadrons will most likely have to play for each side to take the top places in the season, i.e. everyone will be on the same footing.

• Like 2

• Developer
On 19/11/2022 at 05:53, Lord_Beresford said:

In short, there are far too many Marders and Pz IV F2s available to those of us on the German side and we are walking all over the British. Historically, the Germans had only 14 of the Marder III(t) H tank destroyers (26 had arrived in the spring for the Gazala battles) along with the remaining 11 Pzjgr I (27 arrived in early 41 with 5e Lt Div) in the 650th Pzjg Bn attached to 90th Light Div. The two panzer divisions split the 40 odd Pz IIF, 85 Pz IIIH/J (short 50mm), 88 Pz IIIJ (long 50mm), 10 Pz IVE and 27 Pz IVF2 as of 23 Oct 42 (plus about 10 tanks in rserve). I just came out of an operation where we overran the British spawn area within minutes, massacering the light British tanks in the process. It only got worse when our fighters and Stukas arrived. British respawns only led to more burning wrecks made worse when the fighters and Stukas added to the carnage in numbers not seen since 1939.

We do not have a simulator of a real army, but a game based on historical events. I've played Brits myself as a random player, mostly using Crusader 3. I haven't seen Pz IV F2 very often and it hasn't given me any problems. Also, in some battles, I shot down 3 or 4 PZ IV F2 from AEC AA, and was very happy about this.

On 19/11/2022 at 05:53, Lord_Beresford said:

I was extremely surprised that there is no representation of either the Italian Ariete or Littorio armoured divisions nor the Trieste Motor Div, all who fought so valiantly at 2nd Alamein. This is especially surprising considering the Italian armoured divisions were paired with the German panzer divisions (15th and 21st) deployed in two corps (one north and one south) due to fuel shortages. Ariete, in particular, fought extremely well and stood to their last tank, forming the final roadblock allowing the rest of the axis army to begin retreating on 02 Nov. This is a big oversight.

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/567894-world-war-mode-news-november-2022/&tab=comments#comment-9483890

12 hours ago, Bruce_R1 said:

I thought the event metagame was reasonably balanced in the end. It would be interesting to know what W-L rates were.

50.3 vs. 49.7 in favor of the British, for operations that did not end with the commander's afk.

But I think going back to the seasons with special vehicle awards would likely be too toxic again. Let it stay a side thing for squadrons to mess around with for bragging rights and small prizes.

We are planning to use some special "squadron" rewards that will be useful to players in them. While without details, this is a very distant plan.

It'd be more effective if operational commanders could send a message to all the squadron and also the mercs currently in the operation through the chat system, if only to say "good job". At the end. Even something unidirectional like that would help people feel as part of a team.

There are such plans.

it would be preferable for there still to be some way for non squadron people to find and join an op by number if their friends tell them which to join, or for people in the op to send an invite by chat

I have seen a number of such requests and they are justified, so we will definitely think about how to make them.

A more prominent pop up message at the end of the op to players who got the SL bonus would be good.

Already in the plan.

Last suggestion. Sometimes a battle in queue looks really fun and juicy for all involved, but you can't get to it because you can only have two fights going at once. Maybe you could have a feature where if both sides agreed to accept the autoresolve results of a specific battle, while it's still white, then you just treat it as an autoresolve, to reduce the queue length and maybe get some of the better (often fairer) battles further down the queue out to the players to decide. Obviously if you're using a battle to delay, you might not want to agree, and that's fine. But if both sides feel, yeah, we can just do that one autoresolved and get it out of the way, why not let them?

There is a long-term plan to add special command "abilities" to operations. One of these abilities counts as an increase in battle priority (without the consent of the opponent) a limited number of times. You should not expect it in the near future, but someday it may appear.

Things that worked well:
**research bonus. Yeah that worked well, keep that.
**one battle-a-day box. Good incentive
**things were stable for the most part, queues were reasonable, no really weird glitches at the operational level or in joining battles that I saw

Very glad to hear it. Thank you for your participation, important messages and feedback.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, DmGordeev said:

Very glad to hear it. Thank you for your participation, important messages and feedback.

You're welcome!

One positive I missed... It was cool that, at least for Germany, WWM battles counted for the Pages of History task as well. Always nice doing two things at once.

I'm sure that wasn't intentional, but if it could be coordinated in future for both sides that'd be lovely. (EDIT: I was wrong about this, forgot about a couple non-WWM games I played that day).

I think it would be great to see these go quarterly, with slightly enhanced player and squadron rewards and improved communication/coordination tools.

Edited by Bruce_R1

34 minutes ago, DmGordeev said:

50.3 vs. 49.7 in favor of the British, for operations that did not end with the commander's afk.

That might hide some battles that were hopeless because one side quit in disgust though. :)

I realize why the timer has to be short but I actually nearly lost a game last night because I was German, set in defense, nothing more to do except wait for battle results, so I joined a key battle as a pilot. By the time I got back I'd nearly timed us out into a loss. We still won, again because there was nothing more the commander really needed to do because we were in defense and everything was under control. So at the very least that's a risk for commanders to consider.

• Developer
1 hour ago, Bruce_R1 said:

One positive I missed... It was cool that, at least for Germany, WWM battles counted for the Pages of History taak as well. Always nice doing two things at once.

I guess you are mistaken, it should not and cannot work for technical reasons.

1 hour ago, Bruce_R1 said:

That might hide some battles that were hopeless because one side quit in disgust though. :)

I realize why the timer has to be short but I actually nearly lost a game last night because I was German, set in defense, nothing more to do except wait for battle results, so I joined a key battle as a pilot. By the time I got back I'd nearly timed us out into a loss. We still won, again because there was nothing more the commander really needed to do because we were in defense and everything was under control. So at the very least that's a risk for commanders to consider.

On the other hand, if you are playing a season and the enemy commander did not initially come to the operation, then 15 minutes of waiting can be very long. It's hard to find a balance here.

• Like 3