Jump to content

World War Mode News (November 2022)


artWW_3_940px_c29be784939be33c0612bef694

World War returns! Let’s talk about the news and improvements in the long-anticipated gaming mode, as well as share our future plans.

Read more about World War Mode

Inter Season

New World War format! Now, in addition to seasons, World War operations will be periodically launched as a regular game event. In such launches, we will be able to present new mechanics, scenarios of operations and missions, or conduct mass testing. Like in other gaming events, you can try something new for yourself or dive into the forgotten old goodness. In some cases, the launch might be timed to a significant historical event and supported by more valuable and unique rewards. In addition, the first in a day battle in World War mode will bring you the “First Battle” Battle Trophy, which contains boosters, wages, orders, universal back-ups and modifications to vehicles used in the battle, including the Talismans!

Second Battle of El Alamein: 80 years later

From November 17th (12:00 GMT) until November 21st (12:00 GMT) join the “Battle of El Alamein” operation of the World War and get a special decal!

November 1942 saw the end of what is believed to be the decisive battle in the North African theatre in World War II. British troops under the command of General Montgomery defeated the forces of Field Marshal Rommel, and an unstoppable retreat of the Axis forces began.

For this date, we have updated the “Second Battle of El Alamein” scenario in World War — the fixed set of vehicles in armies has been changed to groups of vehicles (the mechanics similar to the “Attack from the Sea” season).

Participants in the event will have a chance to receive a commemorative decal, the emblem of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders. To do this, you need to score 15,000 mission points in the battles of any operation you like. You are not required to be in a squadron and it is not necessary to play in the operations of your squadron as well.

 

image

Emblem of the Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders

Operations on different servers

The “server issues” were among the most notable complaints before, especially, high ping and packet loss in World War sessions. Many players assumed that this was due to the high load on the servers, but the reason was the choice of the server cluster for the created session. In the battles of the World War, a logic was used in which matchmaking automatically selected the appropriate cluster according to the players in the queue for this battle. The session cluster on the server was selected by which cluster there were more players in the queue. As a result, for example, at nighttime for Europe, many sessions were held on the servers of the North American region, since the majority of players were from there at that time.


Now, before creating an operation, squadron leaders must select appropriate clusters in a prioritised list. When an operation is created, the cluster with the highest rating from both leaders is selected and this cluster is assigned to the session, displayed in the upper right side of the operation screen. All battles created in this operation will start on the servers of this cluster.

New mechanics for finding, joining and returning to an operation

You probably know that World War mode can be played by non-squadron players, as well as not only for your squadron. Previously, any player might find a battle in the World War battle list and join it, then a player could stay in the operation or get back to the battle list and join another battle. First of all, this approach prevents the player experiencing immersion in the gaming mode, since they are unable to understand the plot, essence and importance of the situation. Secondly, a huge and clumsy battle list was difficult to browse and affected the infrastructure greatly. We decided to completely abandon the battle list.

Now, in the World War menu players will see an operation join buttons for each side. By clicking the button the game will try to find an appropriate operation with a player’s chosen options, including side and server list. After joining the operation it remains in the World War window and you’ll be able to return back to the operation by clicking the button “Back to [the number of operation]”. If you don’t like the operation. you can find a new one.

For squadron players there will be an active button “Join the [the number of battle]” if your squadron is currently involved in the World War operation.

940_logo_ru_fd835bfef5c63ae9426cfde05ba5

Changes for squads

Playing in a “mercenary” squad that isn't a part of squadron was also difficult - squad members did not know what the leader was currently doing and in which battles they want to play. And when the leader found the right battle squad members immediately found themselves in a window to prepare for battle and couldn’t familiarise themselves with the operation. They only had to confirm their readiness and join the battle.

Now all squad members will see the leader’s operation instead of the “To Battle” button in the hangar and also additionally in the squad widget. Using these buttons will mean that you can easily and quickly get to the operation of your squad leader, discuss it and make some important decisions together. The presence of squad members in the operation automatically marks them as ready to participate in the operation’s battle - you will only have to confirm the readiness of the crews before entering battle (press the “Ready” button once instead of twice as before).

When the squad leader exits the World War operation the “To Battle” button and squad widget take on their usual appearance and you can play random battles again as before.

Vehicle research

Each World War mode operation involves two game nations and uses a limited vehicle list for each nation. For experienced players it is often the case that all these and surrounding vehicles are researched and the penalty of researching high ranked vehicles can discourage them from playing this mode. Since you can not choose what you are playing in World War mode we decided to remove the penalty for research on high-ranked vehicles in this game mode.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Stona changed the title to World War Mode News (November 2022)

So a couple questions:

 

Are there any rewards for operation leaders (or operation winners) or will we be doing this out of the goodness of our hearts? Not complaining, just asking.

 

Are the vehicles fully modified, stock, or the level we have them researched?

 

Are there any progression bonuses (faster mission point progression perhaps) for playing with your own squadron?

 

Are the rules still RB with markers?

  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Developer

Hi, @Bruce_R1

 

23 minutes ago, Bruce_R1 said:

Are there any rewards for operation leaders (or operation winners) or will we be doing this out of the goodness of our hearts? Not complaining, just asking.

No. We don't have a mechanic for that. Rewards for commanders are possible only in seasons according to the leaderboard of commanders.

 

24 minutes ago, Bruce_R1 said:

Are the vehicles fully modified, stock, or the level we have them researched?

As earlier. Vehicles are issued with all modifications, but with your crew level and your specialization of the slot in which it is installed in the battle preparation window.

 

26 minutes ago, Bruce_R1 said:

Are there any progression bonuses (faster mission point progression perhaps) for playing with your own squadron?

No. This is a symbolic award with symbolic requirements and does not require any special concessions.

 

26 minutes ago, Bruce_R1 said:

Are the rules still RB with markers?

No. Since the second season (iirc), the World War sessions has been played in the Ground RB difficulty (without markers), including for purely air battles.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the extra info @DmGordeev. Much appreciated. Sorry, one more question (okay a couple more): do these games count as regular battles for any other things, such as rank 2 daily tasks?

And do you have to still own the vehicle (in the case of the small number of premiums)?

Edited by Bruce_R1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, WWM is basically a more elaborate version of RB Ground Forces/Combined battles now? With no option for Arcade players to participate in, is that correct?
And secondly, is there any chance at all that the players might see, in the future, any form of this mode in an Open World/Sandbox/Arena Style game play, with much larger maps based on the acquisition & control of territory on these type of maps, consisting of larger teams, such as 64 v 64 or even 128 v 128? . . Is that even feasible for the game and it's servers? There were a great many players wanting, hoping for or expecting something like this when WWM was first announced is why I ask.

  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Developer
1 hour ago, Bruce_R1 said:

do these games count as regular battles for any other things, such as rank 2 daily tasks?

No. All these things use the condition "modes against other players" (I don't remember the exact wording), and World War technically does not apply to them due to its features.

 

1 hour ago, LeChance said:

So, WWM is basically a more elaborate version of RB Ground Forces/Combined battles now?

Firstly, it's a game mode where battles come from something more than just 20-30 people in a matchmaking queue on one battle rating and on random vehicles.

In addition, squadron players can play it with a whole squad, being in a single structure for 100 people. With deep organization, management and separation of roles.

 

1 hour ago, LeChance said:

With no option for Arcade players to participate in, is that correct?

They can play in the mode too. How, for example, players in realistic mode can play Tank Assault or Imminent Breakthrough.

 

1 hour ago, LeChance said:

And secondly, is there any chance at all that the players might see, in the future, any form of this mode in an Open World/Sandbox/Arena Style game play, with much larger maps based on the acquisition & control of territory on these type of maps, consisting of larger teams, such as 64 v 64 or even 128 v 128?

There are no such plans and never have been.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, WNxDavid990 said:

Will we see vehicles that aren't in the British tech tree but are in other tech trees that fought at El Alamein be implemented such as the P-40 Kittyhawk? The P-40-E in the American tech tree has RAF skins inc. ones that fought at the battle.

Probably - hte previous ones had vehicles from various tech trees where appropriate - eg American and French trees for Israel IIRC

Edited by Josephs_Piano
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, WNxDavid990 said:

Will we see vehicles that aren't in the British tech tree but are in other tech trees that fought at El Alamein be implemented such as the P-40 Kittyhawk? The P-40-E in the American tech tree has RAF skins inc. ones that fought at the battle.

Updated vehicle list for this week's event is here: https://wiki.warthunder.com/Second_Battle_of_El_Alamein

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Developer
15 hours ago, [email protected] said:

Remind me...WWM was already FULL RB (and NOT AB) correct? The hybrid mode was ditched on last iteration, correct?

Yes. The difficulty form the Tank RB is used, including for air vs air battles.

15 hours ago, WNxDavid990 said:

Will we see vehicles that aren't in the British tech tree but are in other tech trees that fought at El Alamein be implemented such as the P-40 Kittyhawk? The P-40-E in the American tech tree has RAF skins inc. ones that fought at the battle.

No. Technically, a player can come into a session with slots from only one country. It's technically impossible to use vehicles from different tech tree in battle.
Sometimes we add a default vehicle from another country to some vehicle group, but for this we have to add it hidden in the right tech tree. And since the default vehicle of the vehicle group can be used without restriction, then this is such a small but working hack.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DmGordeev said:

Yes. The difficulty form the Tank RB is used, including for air vs air battles.

No. Technically, a player can come into a session with slots from only one country. It's technically impossible to use vehicles from different tech three in battle.
Sometimes we add a default vehicle from another country to some vehicle group, but for this we have to add it hidden in the right tech tree. And since the default vehicle of the vehicle group can be used without restriction, then this is such a small but working hack.

This is great info, thanks again for filling in the gaps.

 

One more question? Previously you had to be a sergeant in a squadron (or higher) to initiate an operation, and squadron had to have 20 members. Is that true still?

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Developer
6 minutes ago, Bruce_R1 said:

Previously you had to be a sergeant in a squadron (or higher) to initiate an operation, and squadron had to have 20 members. Is that true still?

Yes. At the same time, these 20 members must have rank III unit (i.e. they must have access to the WWM).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to trying this out. However, I have only recently \purchased my first Rank III 'vehicles' (British premium Hellcat II and a Spitfire Mk Vb Trop) but still cannot open WWM 2nd Alamein.

 

I am  still getting the, "you need to purchase at least one unit of Rank III for any country" message.

 

I am assuming this is because it is not 17 Nov and that come the 17th all will be fine.  Yes?

Edited by Lord_Beresford
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WWM My Beloved, Finally Has Returned

Though I Have A Couple Of Questions:

  1. With The Introduction Of Inter-Seasons, How Often Will They Appear? Once Every Inter Season? Every Month? ...
  2. Will The Map Leader Still Have To Play The Game To Get The Reward(s) (Either This Symbolic For The Interseason, Or Upcoming Full Seasons)? Or Can I Finally Do My Full Dedicated Duty To The Map Without Having To Hop Into Battle?
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Developer
3 hours ago, Lord_Beresford said:

I am  still getting the, "you need to purchase at least one unit of Rank III for any country" message.

It's just a UI bug, already fixed on dev. Tomorrow will be released on prod with QoL patch.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Developer
2 hours ago, ShimakazeChan said:

With The Introduction Of Inter-Seasons, How Often Will They Appear? Once Every Inter Season? Every Month? ...

It's too early to make any promises here at the moment.

 

2 hours ago, ShimakazeChan said:

Will The Map Leader Still Have To Play The Game To Get The Reward(s) (Either This Symbolic For The Interseason, Or Upcoming Full Seasons)? Or Can I Finally Do My Full Dedicated Duty To The Map Without Having To Hop Into Battle?

Already answered this question here:https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/567894-world-war-mode-news-november-2022/&do=findComment&comment=9483343 

In seasons, commanders have rewards based on the leaderboard. In the inter season, there are no rewards based of the leaderboard. But in the inter season, symbolic rewards with symbolic requirements can be played out - you can swap the role of a commander with someone or play separately as a mercenary after your operations.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Bruce_R1 said:

Updated vehicle list for this week's event is here: https://wiki.warthunder.com/Second_Battle_of_El_Alamein

 

That's the original one - only Brit vs German.

 

But there's no particular reason they couldn't include more Italian and US (P-40's mainly) in thisone - hope they do.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Josephs_Piano said:

the original one - only Brit vs German.

The vehicle list has been updated already for this event. Several of those vehicles weren't in game at the time of the original running of s1 WWM.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, DmGordeev said:
11 hours ago, ShimakazeChan said:

Will The Map Leader Still Have To Play The Game To Get The Reward(s) (Either This Symbolic For The Interseason, Or Upcoming Full Seasons)? Or Can I Finally Do My Full Dedicated Duty To The Map Without Having To Hop Into Battle?

Already answered this question here:https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/567894-world-war-mode-news-november-2022/&do=findComment&comment=9483343 

In seasons, commanders have rewards based on the leaderboard. In the inter season, there are no rewards based of the leaderboard. But in the inter season, symbolic rewards with symbolic requirements can be played out - you can swap the role of a commander with someone or play separately as a mercenary after your operations.

 

The Initial Part Of The Answer Wasn't Really What I Was Asking, I Already Know That The Inter-Season Won't Include A Leaderboard-based Reward, My Question Was If The Task To Unlock The Reward Like Any Other Player Still Has The Same Requirement (i.e. Play Inside Battles).

So To Fully Clear It Up, As The Latter Part Of Your Answer Seems To Be More To What I'm Looking For:

  • Being A Commander On The Map Will Not Fill The Reward Requirement, And Will Have To Come From Playing Inside Battles.

 

And If That Assessment Is Correct, Are There Any Plans To Make Map Commanders Be Eligible For Regular Requirement Rewards? Or Is It Still Too Early To Say Or Make Promises For?

 
6 hours ago, Josephs_Piano said:

But there's no particular reason they couldn't include more Italian and US (P-40's mainly) in thisone - hope they do.

 

Read This: https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/567894-world-war-mode-news-november-2022/&do=findComment&comment=9483890

16 hours ago, DmGordeev said:
On 14/11/2022 at 22:24, WNxDavid990 said:

Will we see vehicles that aren't in the British tech tree but are in other tech trees that fought at El Alamein be implemented such as the P-40 Kittyhawk? The P-40-E in the American tech tree has RAF skins inc. ones that fought at the battle.

No. Technically, a player can come into a session with slots from only one country. It's technically impossible to use vehicles from different tech tree in battle.
Sometimes we add a default vehicle from another country to some vehicle group, but for this we have to add it hidden in the right tech tree. And since the default vehicle of the vehicle group can be used without restriction, then this is such a small but working hack.

 

An Example Operation Of When This Happened Was On "Battle of the Chinese Farm", You Can Play As "Israel" (USA) And "Egypt" (USSR). 3 Particular Vehicles On The USA Line-Up Were French. (AMX-13, AMX-13-90 And Super Mystere B2)

Diving Into What These Vehicles Are, Are Copy Pasted French Vehicles, Labeled As US Vehicles So You Can Have These In Your Line-Up, But Won't Show Up In The Tech Tree

(As They're ""Event"" Vehicles)

Edited by ShimakazeChan
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Developer
5 hours ago, ShimakazeChan said:

The Initial Part Of The Answer Wasn't Really What I Was Asking, I Already Know That The Inter-Season Won't Include A Leaderboard-based Reward, My Question Was If The Task To Unlock The Reward Like Any Other Player Still Has The Same Requirement (i.e. Play Inside Battles).

So To Fully Clear It Up, As The Latter Part Of Your Answer Seems To Be More To What I'm Looking For:

  • Being A Commander On The Map Will Not Fill The Reward Requirement, And Will Have To Come From Playing Inside Battles.

 

And If That Assessment Is Correct, Are There Any Plans To Make Map Commanders Be Eligible For Regular Requirement Rewards? Or Is It Still Too Early To Say Or Make Promises For?

Rewards are not a major or significant part of the World War inter season, so there are currently no plans to do something separate for Commanders. The condition for obtaining the decal mentioned in this event is 15,000 mission points in World War battles and you can get them only in battles. For Commanders at this stage, we are unlikely to be able to offer something interesting.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...