Jump to content

How can I do well in 9.3 and higher bracket?


CaptObviousCZ
 Share

I play americans, russians and germans and whatever I do I get absolutely wrecked. I've played for a long time, since 2014, but I just don't seem to get any better. Is there like a secret thing that people know and I don't? It's just one big frustration and I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I know the maps, I know the weakspots, but I get outplayed anyway. Please help.. 

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found that above about 8.3 or so the game changes significantly due FSDS, helicopters,  and night vision gear - especially thermals.

 

So it is not just a matter of practicing - it is a matter of practicing the right things - and having the right gear - eg if you are facing thermals without thermals then you're at a serious disadvantage even in daylight.  Also lethal ranges with FSDS are massively longer than at lower levels.   I cant fly helicopters to save my mother so can't advise anything there - hope they shoot at someone else!  :(

 

So dust off those assault games to get mods without costing a fortune in repairs, and practice being at longer ranges than you are used to :)

  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CaptObviousCZ said:

Is there like a secret thing that people know and I don't?

1) Dont go for objectives right away, its better to ambush those who go for them in the initial fight. When the first big wave is done u may try to go for the objective.

 

2) dont play alone (Squad) / dont rely on the team

 

3) attacking forces are always in a disadvantage, dont move to much towards the enemy -- at the same time switch positions after 1-2 kills to be unpredictable.

Edited by Noir89
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah, the secret is that playing in the higher tiers requires more skill and game knowledge. You cannont get away with mistakes in higher tier matches tanks are way to good at punishing you when you do make these mistakes. This is why players who dont have a lot of experience playing in these matches feel like they are getting owned. Low br tactics just simply do not work in this BR range. Camping and giving up map control simply leads to you losing the game very quickly. CAS is also very dangerous if you allow a player to get it up early. Higher BR is all about getting important things done quickly whether that be taking important map control or farming a lot of kills from a strong position to spawn CAS early. 

Things to take away from this. 

1. DO NOT CAMP 
You have a stabilizer use it. Don't play tanks that rely on passive play styles, that is how you get owned.(ie.... atgm vehicles, ifvs)
2. HAVE A SPAA
You 100% need a radar spaa once you get over 8.0 no excuses.
3. LEARN MAPS
Yes you will have to learn maps and timings ex (where can you go to get early kills, or pathing that doesnt put you in direct LOS of enemies)
4. CAS 
having effective planes and helis is important to winning games grind them
5. RESPAWN
dont be that guy with one spawn 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, siggipj said:

if at this point you are not good at the game , you never will be.

This is both extremely unhelpful and also blantantly false. 

 

OP I have been in the same boat as you at top tier. The game meta is VERY different to pretty much everything below 8.0 due to tanks being generally much faster and bigger, stabs, thermals, ATGMs, and Helicopters. You basically have to relearn the game in a sense. 

 

I ended up just bashing my face into the wall until I figured it out, plus watched a number of videos on top tier play to see how other, better people played it. 

 

By bashing my face into the wall I also don't mean doing what I normally do at lower tiers. That doesnt work very well. People arent as oblivious as lower tiers and reaction times are much faster both of players and of the tanks themselves.

 

I was completely throwing my standard tactics out the window and trying new things, like going to the complete different side of a particular map that I normally do. Being aggressive where I'd normally be cautious, or being cautious where Id normally be aggressive. If you die or end up doing nothing you can go "welp that didnt work lets try something different next time" and slowly build your way up into a strategy that works for top tier.

 

For example, at lower tiers I play quite cautiously, I prefer to take wider flanking positions and use concealment etc. But at top tier I end up being *much* more aggressive, pushing into forward positions and such. This is partly because I main japan and the playstyle shifts a lot between lower tiers which excel at sniping and ambushes, and top tier where you have heaps of mobility and rediculously high sustained Rates of fire, and partly due to top tier being more fast paced in general.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, CaptObviousCZ said:

I play americans, russians and germans and whatever I do I get absolutely wrecked. I've played for a long time, since 2014, but I just don't seem to get any better. Is there like a secret thing that people know and I don't? It's just one big frustration and I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I know the maps, I know the weakspots, but I get outplayed anyway. Please help.. 

 

Its all about not beeing seen and to ambush from ludicrous spots where no one might expect you. So its map knowledge, which is probably the key to success. You see the map loading up and you immeadetly know where one of these spots is + the most viable route to reach it. According to your vehicle you have to know how far you might drive unharmed and when the first enemy vehicles might appear.

 

In high tier matches, guns are pinpoint precise and usually your armor means nothing. There are no heroic duels where tanks engage face to face and shot each other with lots of bounces or misses. Its leftclick -> target dead or crippled. So you have to play in a way that no one sees you. You basically only focus on killing stuff, never think about going into one of these blinking chalk circles of doom. Just stop thinking in win or lose categories, just killing fun matters (usually you'll win anyways, when you ambush alot enemies).

 

When you get intercepted early on your way to one of these power-positions, just leave and try a new match. When the match already is a few mins old its probably pointless to spawn again. Enemies already might be everywhere, waiting for a dude to appear in the open. You won't get far with your second spawn.

If you killed quite some enemies until you get smoked out of your power spot (e.g. by air strikes or sneaky tactics by salty opponents), its probably worth to spawn again. I often use an ATGM heli as second spawn, try to climb above the radar detection zones (hope that there's no aware SPAA while climbing). Then just the usual death from above. Players don't tend to look straight up. Right above the ground map Is the safest place for an air vehicle.

 

[It doesn't apply for russian T-tanks. Since they get some armor you might rely on. So rushing is an option as well.]

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Thodin
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of good advice here - better than mine and I'll be using it! :good:

Just reached T 7 myself due to the challenge, using Challenger 2 (2F) - played a dozen games of Assault to upgrade it and also purchased a couple of mods - repair and fire ext as usual, but also the night vision the top level APDS.

 

Well roger me what a different experience I had - too 10 games to  get 10 kills - quite a struggle - one of them was a 120mm APFSDS kill of a helicopter hovering just in front of me at night!! lol.....  got lots to learn!!

Edited by Josephs_Piano
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 22/09/2022 at 03:43, Astellios said:

Leave any uptier match

Heck no, thats a terrible idea.

 

You learn the best ways to play creatively in uptiers. You cant go head on with them so you have to outsmart them. It improves your abilities and skills much better than just aiming center mass and auto penning everything in downtiers. 

 

If you start with the defeatist attitude of "ill never win" then of course you will never win. 

 

The constant whinging about uptiers boggles my mind, Ive literally never even paid any attention to them outside of a few very specific BR brackets (most of which are for Air)

 

Edited by _Zekken
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, _Zekken said:

If you start with the defeatist attitude of "ill never win" then of course you will never win. 


But to win is a "Try Hard" move.  Everyone else is here for "fun" of being the enemy's target.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/09/2022 at 21:23, CaptObviousCZ said:

if at this point you are not good at the game , you never will be.


I'm sorry but this is true.

But i do have a tip:

Try to watch good players on Twitch.

I checked Hunter video's but he does not tell you everything, he keeps stuff for himself. (Alot of stuff) Especially Helicopter tips and ATGM, AGM.

 



AGAIN my tip:

www.twitch.com

Edited by GeNeXsis@psn
  • Confused 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thodin already gave the most essential tips.

 

Just my 2 cents:

Learning by doing, map knowledge and try not to rage when dying.

 

And caps win games and give juicy points... yes but in higher tiers you should also take into account:You tell every aircraft in space: "drop your big fat laser or TV guided bomb exactly here plz" So a little eye on the killfeed is never wrong.

(A teammate nuked by an A-4E ? maybe it's not the best time to cap right now)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by klinGiii
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 23/09/2022 at 05:22, _Zekken said:

Heck no, thats a terrible idea.

 

You learn the best ways to play creatively in uptiers. You cant go head on with them so you have to outsmart them. It improves your abilities and skills much better than just aiming center mass and auto penning everything in downtiers. 

 

If you start with the defeatist attitude of "ill never win" then of course you will never win. 

 

The constant whinging about uptiers boggles my mind, Ive literally never even paid any attention to them outside of a few very specific BR brackets (most of which are for Air)

 

No idea what u exprienced but i maked a million silver with my methode of leaving any drone match. Sure u need a bit time when u locked for 9:00 Minutes when u do it... but for me its better to wait 9 Minutes without frustration istead of trying to make money in a drone match.

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Astellios said:

No idea what u exprienced but i maked a million silver with my methode of leaving any drone match. Sure u need a bit time when u locked for 9:00 Minutes when u do it... but for me its better to wait 9 Minutes without frustration istead of trying to make money in a drone match.

Its only frustrating because you dont know what your doing because you keep leaving games without learning anything!

 

Ive got no problems making SL on a standard account at top tier. And I dont sit around twiddling my thumbs for 10 mins on crew locks every game. 

 

 

I literally have never cared about uptiers once in any BR bracket. I physically cannot understand how people get so damn worked up about them. 

 

Plus if you're leaving uptiers then you are leaving probably 2/3 of your games instantly. Who the heck wants to play a game to spend all that time staring at a crew lock? 

Edited by _Zekken
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Game becomes extremly unforgiving past 8.0 1 shot kills become common as you get into vehicles with very powerful ATGM or Cannons.

Movement is your best friend but at the same time you need to know where to move and when, can't rush into the enemy team either.

 

Get used to getting uptiered 24/7 as there too many wallet warriors that just buy 10.0 and 9.7 Premium Vehicles which result in horrible matchmaking.

The most Important playing at higher tiers drop down to low tier every now and then as high tier will drain you alot.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, _Zekken said:

Its only frustrating because you dont know what your doing because you keep leaving games without learning anything!

 

Ive got no problems making SL on a standard account at top tier. And I dont sit around twiddling my thumbs for 10 mins on crew locks every game. 

 

 

I literally have never cared about uptiers once in any BR bracket. I physically cannot understand how people get so damn worked up about them. 

 

Plus if you're leaving uptiers then you are leaving probably 2/3 of your games instantly. Who the heck wants to play a game to spend all that time staring at a crew lock? 

 

Have played regular enogh to reach 11.0, but especially with sweden u need 2-3 kills to get your repair cost in. So i know the problems...
i played enogh 9.3 Sweden that i know that i get no good results in 10.3, the spaa hit u without any chance to avoid it. Also the drones are not fun and need removed complete.
So i get maybe 1 good match out of 6, so i play solo only the one where i get the statistic in my favor and also make more money with less frustration as i would if would play every match with full lineup.

But i could also play my ito or 2a6 and wouldnt have fun, because the drones invisble for radar on the top of your head, where they spawn-in.

Dont blame me, blame the snail for useless matchmaker... because +1.0 maybe a bit more challege in low br but incredible big difference if u near the TT.
Or blame the snail for all the unbalanced vehicles that most likely behind a paywall.

Or blame the snail for the incredible high relevanz of cas in hightier.

 

It is simply not my fault that the game design is about make profit not fun.

One good match per hour make +50k-100k Silver.
One bad round where i can get 4-5 per hour make -5k to  -35k silver.
That mean i can potential lose way more silver when i play every match in full line up.

Also i started this strategy with the drone update and it works for me, before i played normal full lineup games.

Edited by Astellios
  • Sad 1
medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Astellios said:

 

Have played regular enogh to reach 11.0, but especially with sweden u need 2-3 kills to get your repair cost in. So i know the problems...
i played enogh 9.3 Sweden that i know that i get no good results in 10.3, the spaa hit u without any chance to avoid it. Also the drones are not fun and need removed complete.
So i get maybe 1 good match out of 6, so i play solo only the one where i get the statistic in my favor and also make more money with less frustration as i would if would play every match with full lineup.

But i could also play my ito or 2a6 and wouldnt have fun, because the drones invisble for radar on the top of your head, where they spawn-in.

Dont blame me, blame the snail for useless matchmaker... because +1.0 maybe a bit more challege in low br but incredible big difference if u near the TT.
Or blame the snail for all the unbalanced vehicles that most likely behind a paywall.

Or blame the snail for the incredible high relevanz of cas in hightier.

 

It is simply not my fault that the game design is about make profit not fun.

One good match per hour make +50k-100k Silver.
One bad round where i can get 4-5 per hour make -5k to  -35k silver.
That mean i can potential lose way more silver when i play every match in full line up.

Also i started this strategy with the drone update and it works for me, before i played normal full lineup games.

Okay but you not being good at high tier has nothing to do with uptiers being bad. 

 

if you dont know how to play it yourself maybe you shouldnt be giving advice to others on how to play it.

 

I Literally deal with the exact same problems you do, as does every player at the BR range yet Im not complaining about it and Im not struggling against it. Drones are the only thing that has really changed with top tier gameplay in this patch and they havent changed it *that* much relatively, they haven't changed the advice needed on how to play at top tier thats for sure. 

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, _Zekken said:

Okay but you not being good at high tier has nothing to do with uptiers being bad. 

 

if you dont know how to play it yourself maybe you shouldnt be giving advice to others on how to play it.

 

I Literally deal with the exact same problems you do, as does every player at the BR range yet Im not complaining about it and Im not struggling against it. Drones are the only thing that has really changed with top tier gameplay in this patch and they havent changed it *that* much relatively, they haven't changed the advice needed on how to play at top tier thats for sure. 

How u can wrote this and being serious?
The Drones are the biggest mistake in warthunder history, they spawn above your radar cone and all people i know h8 them.
I would play normal like u with full lineup TT, had a fair 50/50 chance to win such a match before the drone update.
Beside that knews everyone who reached TT on regular way that their is nothing  like "the one golden rule" to own a victory on every map gainst every hostile that u can face.

So when im solo i play only the matches where i make money, so im less frustrated when my m8's come online and we suffer against drones with full lineup.

I simply would gave a sh°t on stats when i wouldnt need the silver for repairs and progression.

And i never want to reach the point, that i need to farm silver before i can waste it on a single round tt again.

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Astellios said:

How u can wrote this and being serious?
The Drones are the biggest mistake in warthunder history, they spawn above your radar cone and all people i know h8 them.
I would play normal like u with full lineup TT, had a fair 50/50 chance to win such a match before the drone update.
Beside that knews everyone who reached TT on regular way that their is nothing  like "the one golden rule" to own a victory on every map gainst every hostile that u can face.

So when im solo i play only the matches where i make money, so im less frustrated when my m8's come online and we suffer against drones with full lineup.

I simply would gave a sh°t on stats when i wouldnt need the silver for repairs and progression.

And i never want to reach the point, that i need to farm silver before i can waste it on a single round tt again.

Im not denying how bad for the game drones are. But im not discussing that here when theres a specific thread for them already. 

 

The fact of the matter is that they dont actually change gameplay at top tier because as a tank you can't actually do anything about them. Just accept the occasional random death from the things until gaijin hopefully fixes it. 

 

The gameplay doesnt change and the advice given to people asking for it doesnt change. And telling someone to just leave the game whenever they get an uptier because of something YOU don't like is not sound advice on helping them learn how to play better. 

 

Top tier doesnt exist to farm SL, unless you're running a premium tank you shouldnt even be thinking about it. And even then I still have no troubles breaking even with a standard account on average in my 8.7-11.0 lineups and no prem vehicles in any of my lineups in those BR ranges.

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, _Zekken said:

Im not denying how bad for the game drones are. But im not discussing that here when theres a specific thread for them already. 

 

The fact of the matter is that they dont actually change gameplay at top tier because as a tank you can't actually do anything about them. Just accept the occasional random death from the things until gaijin hopefully fixes it. 

 

The gameplay doesnt change and the advice given to people asking for it doesnt change. And telling someone to just leave the game whenever they get an uptier because of something YOU don't like is not sound advice on helping them learn how to play better. 

 

Top tier doesnt exist to farm SL, unless you're running a premium tank you shouldnt even be thinking about it. And even then I still have no troubles breaking even with a standard account on average in my 8.7-11.0 lineups and no prem vehicles in any of my lineups in those BR ranges.

I dont say they should leave matches that i dont like or profitable for me, i say they should leave matches they think they cant make progress...
For me, with my expierence of my stats, are matches when i thrown up in 10.3;  i make rarely good profit and often i lose sl.
Thats because im a sweden main, they have a thin but expensive techtree with high amount of repair costs.
For a russian main with a lot cheap mbts its maybe the right allways try to base push or something like that what i see on my enemys.
I only say for me it works, especially in this update. Im less frustrated, that also increase my performance in match when i decide to play it.
When u want to break it down to that one advice... then its about know your flaws and dont be a tryhard.

No one get harmed espacialy yourself, because other tryhard will fill the teams up. For me, it works.... that can i say 100% sure.

Edited by Astellios
medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Astellios said:

I dont say they should leave matches that i dont like or profitable for me, i say they should leave matches they think they cant make progress...

 

On 22/09/2022 at 03:43, Astellios said:

1. put in option the slider on off for joining running games.
2. Leave any uptier match.

3. Patience.

Literally what you said

14 minutes ago, Astellios said:

For me, with my expierence of my stats, are matches when i thrown up in 10.3;  i make rarely good profit and often i lose sl.

I havent mentioned or looked at player stats once. And maybe you dont make a profit because you havent bothered to learn anything.

11 minutes ago, Astellios said:

Thats because im a sweden main, they have a thin but expensive techtree with high amount of repair costs.

Oh yes welcome to the club, Im a Japan main. Sweden has it GOOD compared to Japan. This doesnt change anything. 

 

13 minutes ago, Astellios said:

only say for me it works, especially in this update. Im less frustrated, that also increase my performance in match when i decide to play it.

Ah yes you are less frustrated. While making everyone else on your team in every game you leave much more frustrated, thanks. Also again, some people dont have time to wait out 20 mins crew locks for every 10 mins of gameplay. Thats even more frustrating.

medal medal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...