Sabrah ASCOD: The light tank that tells the statement "light tanks are obsolete" to go pound sand

ofekk213

A poll about the Sabrah ASCOD  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see the the Sabrah ASCOD being added to War Thunder?

• Yes.
    • No.
  2. 2. What BR do you think the Sabrah ASCOD should be in?

• 9.7 or lower
    • I've voted against the addition of the vehicle.
  3. 3. As mentioned in the suggestion, the Sabrah ASCOD comes with an optional ATGM launcher. Should it recive it ingame?

• Yes.
    • Not right now, implement it currently without the launcher and give it to it when the time is right, in a similar fashion to the PUMA IFV.
    • No. Never.
    • I've voted against the addition of the vehicle.

NOTE: this suggestion is part of a large suggestion of the Sabrah light tank. This is the tracked variant, a suggestion for the wheeled variant will be written when more information is available. When I say "Sabrah light tank", I refer to both variants. When I say "Sabra ASCOD", I refer only to the Sabra based on the tracked ASCOD 2 platform.

Shalom fellas! How are you today?

Today I would like to suggest a light tank for Israel: 

The Sabrah light ta--

10553728_620799148039900_548401419214813

wait a second...

Thats not a Sabrah light tank, thats the Sabra medium tank! Hang on...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hiatus.jpg.db341d13ca8e7ace7d2443045cb91

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where was I, oh yea.

*clears throat*

The Sabrah ASCOD

FVO_fKQUYAAGmsP.jpg.a717d32f930503e9418d

Description:

The Sabrah light tank participated in and won the Philippine light tank acquisition program, and is now being delivered to the Philippine army, with the tracked variant already arrived and the wheeled variant planned to arrive in 2023. It is a very modern light tank equipped with the absolute most advanced technologies Elbit can offer. Sabrah can come in either a tracked configuration or an 8x8 wheeled configuration and is armed with the 105mm cannon "105LW" made together by Israel's Elbit and South Africa's Denel, an optional dual ATGM launcher, smoke grenades, and the Iron Fist hardkill APS.

Today I will be speaking about the variant based on the tracked ASCOD 2 platform, the Sabrah ASCOD, more information can be found on this vehicle below.

General information:

armor and survivability

According to Elbit's brochure, the Sabrah light tank has level 4 ballistic protection in the NATO STANAG 4969 ladder, which means it can fully resist artillery shrapnel from 30m and 14.5mm machine guns such as the soviet KPVT. Like other light tanks, it can't do anything against main guns, but this much armor will make it immune to machine guns and highly resilient to 20mm autocannons, which is always a plus. If you think this armor is worthless then use the CV90105 TML and CV90120 in CQB, then you will see that it is very important to have enough armor to stop machine guns.

Mobility

The Sabrah ASCOD weighs 30 tons and has a 720hp engine, giving it a 24hp/t ratio. It is very mobile and can zip-zap around the map and take key positions rather quickly. Being tracked, the Sabrah ASCOD's performance on snow and mud is not damaged too much compared to wheeled vehicles.

World_premiere_for_Israeli_Sabrah_light_

picture: Sabrah ASCOD at Eurosatory 2022

Armaments and ammunition

The Sabrah ASCOD is equipped with the 105LW rifled 105mm cannon and a coaxial 7.62x51mm FN-MAG machine gun. The Sabrah light tank can also be optionally equipped with a hidden retractable ATGM launcher holding 2 ATGMs at once and likely storing more in the hull. The 105mm cannon is loaded automaticly and has a fire rate of 6 rounds/min. The Sabrah light tank stows 36 105mm rounds in total, with 12 being stored in the autoloader drum (ready rack) and 24 being stored in the hull. The 7.62mm has a magazine of 500 rounds and 1500 more rounds stored in the tank's hull.

The 105mm uses Israeli domestic ammunition:

• M152/3 HEATFS (stock round)
  • M156 HESH
  • M426 APFSDS
  • M110 HEMPFS
  • M428 "SWORD" APFSDS
  • M416 smoke shell

The Sabra light tank's fire control system and equipment are very advanced due to it being made very recently. It has:

• Panoramic sight (very high FoV) with advanced electro-optical sensors
  • High-quality 2-plane stabilization
  • Fully electric turret drive both in elevation and traverse
  • Very high quality thermal imaging (3-6µ detector), likely 3rd gen or even higher quality
  • Laser rangefinder
  • 8 76mm smoke grenades 
  • Automatic target tracking
  • Meteorological sensor for ballistic calculations
  • Commander override
  • Laser warning system
  • Iron Fist hardkill APS

Note: The Sabrah light tank can come either in a manned turret or an unmanned turret. The pictures are showing the manned version of the turret, therefore, the suggestion talks about the manned version. I will do a suggestion about the unmanned version if one will be produced in the future.

received_553724826284648.jpg.4e00b54d1b9

How would it work in war thunder

Israel has a lack of high-tier and top-tier light tanks, even in many expanded tech tree proposals (no, IFVs are not light tanks). The Sabrah light tank, in general, can fill an important role in the Israeli tree and the Sabrah ASCOD specifically can be viable on any map due to its tracked nature. The presence of the Iron Fist APS would also massively increase the tank's survivability. The choice of giving or not giving it the ATGM launcher can be a game-changer, as it carries  Spike-LR II ATGM, so this is up to you in the poll.

Pros and Cons

Pros:

• 24hp/t ratio and tracks allows the Sabrah ASCOD to move around the map fairly quickly, even in maps with snowy and muddy terrain.
  • Iron Fist APS can occasionally save you form an ATGM or a HEATFS projectile, and in longer ranges even APFSDS.
  • A wide access to many shells, including the high performance M428 "SWORD" 4th gen APFSDS, which will be one of the best 105mm APFSDS shells in the game.
  • Very high quality optics and thermal imaging
  • Autoloader with a big ready rack
  • Enough armour to deter all machine guns and most low calibre autocannons
  • Optional Spike-LR II ATGMs highly increase the vehicle's anti tank capabilities
  • Ingame, can use scouting
  • Spall liners massively decrease spall damage

Cons:

• Very vulnerable to APFSDS on medium ranges and closer
  • Iron Fist only has 4 charges
  • Autoloader has a maximum fire rate of 6 rounds/min, or 10s per reload, which is pretty slow compared to most other tanks.
  • with 3 crew members, 2 being in the turret, and a very cramped layout, your survivability in case something does penetrate the armour is pretty much non-existent

History

After the Marawi crisis, the Philippines realized their military vehicles were extremely outdated, and they severely needed a new light tank to replace their wood armored Cadillac Gage V-150 armored cars. No, I'm not kidding, the Philippine army actually covered their armored cars with discarded ammunition crates and salvaged wood to attempt to counter ISIL infantry carrying anti-tank weapons. On 20th September 2018, president Rodrigo Roa Duterte declared that the PA needed a new light tank, and the PA began the Philippines light tank acquisition project. 

The Sabrah light tank was Elbit's competitor in the Philippine light tank acquisition project, competing with the Hanwha Systems K21-105, Otokar Arma 105 light tank, and the Pindad Harimau Light Tank. Elbit won the competition, and in January 2021, it received a three-year contract worth 172.2 million USD to supply the Sabrah light tank to the Philippine Army. Elbit won mainly due to 2 reasons: 1st, Elbit's Torch-X battle management system is already in use in the Philippines army alongside other Israeli-made battle management systems. 2nd, the Sabrah light tank was the only competitor in the Philippines light tank acquisition project that did not use a Belgian-made turret and/or gun. Due to the arms export restrictions made by the Belgian regional government against the Philippines, it was expected that there would be delays or problems with the supply of the light tanks of the other competitors that used the Belgian-made John Cockerill C3015 turret and 105mm guns made in Belgium, whereas Elbit's Sabrah light tank uses a turret developed by Elbit with assistance from the Israeli Ministry of Defense, MANTAK (IDF's ordnance corps, designers of the Merkava's turret) and Denel, and a 105mm cannon made wholly by Elbit.

The Philippines ended up ordering 30 units of the Sabrah light tank: 18 Sabra ASCODs, 10 Sabrah Pandurs, one command vehicle based on the Sabrah ASCOD, and one recovery vehicle based on the Sabrah ASCOD. From Elbit's victory day in the project to the day the Sabrah light tank was revealed for the first time in Eurosatory 2022, the Sabrah went through multiple design changes. For example, the original plan to use an OTO Malara Hitfact Mk.II turret was replaced by a turret designed by Elbit and Denel. As of writing this suggestion, the Sabrah ASCOD (all 20 of them) had already entered service in the Philippine army, and the 10 remaining Sabrah Pandur tanks are expected to arrive by 2023.

Fun fact: Despite Elbit insisting that a 4-men configuration with a manual loader would be more efficient and shorten reloads, the PA insisted that the tank had to be in a 3-men + autoloader configuration.

sabrah-image04.jpg.b69667a0e4a51c1c4fd19 Elbit-Light-Tank-Asia_02-800x534.jpg.1b0

pictures: Sabrah ASCOD's simulated initial design, using the OTO Malara HITFACT turret

Specifications

Chassis and powerpack:

• Chassis name: ASCOD 2 hull
  • Chassis type: tracked
  • Crew: 3 total: a driver, gunner, and commander. Driver is in the front of the hull to the left, the gunner and commander are sat side by side in the turret in a similar fashion to soviet MBTs (gunner to the left, commander to the right).
  • Weight: 30t
  • Engine name: MTU 8V-199-TE20
  • Engine output: 720hp/540kW
  • Transmission name: Renk HSWL 106C
  • Transmission type: hydro-mechanical
  • Transmission performance:
    • Maximum speed: 70km/h
    • Gears: 6 forward, 6 reverse
    • Overall gear ratio, mechanical: 6.3
  • Power-to-Weight ratio: 24hp/t
  • Length: ~10.64m*
  • Width: 3.64m
  • Height: 2.43m
  • Gradient: 60%
  • Side slope: 40%

Armor, APS and Survivability:

• Hull and turret: STANAG 4569 level 4: invulnerable to 14.5x114mm AP rounds from all sides, distances and angles. Invulnerable from 155mm artillery overpressure and fragments at 30m. Optional ERA and composite armor installments are available.
  • APS name: Iron Fist
  • APS type: hardkill
  • APS coverage:
    • Horizontal: 360°, each launcher covering 180° on each side of the hull
    • Vertical: -15°/+55°
  • APS charges: 4pcs total, 2pcs on each side of the hull.
  • APS reaction time: 0.3s
  • APS reload and re-ready time: 0.3s
  • APS threat velocity: 70m/s-1700m/s
  • Post-pen survivability: Bad. only 3 crew members with 2 being stored in the turret. center mass penetration likely to incapacitate the vehicle in 1 hit.

Gun firepower and ammunition:

• Main armament: 105LW 105mm L/52 calibre rifiled cannon
    • Ammo capacity: 36 total, 12 being stored in the autoloader drum and 24 being stored in the hull
    • Gun horizontal traverse: 360°
    • Gun vertical traverse -10°/<+50°**
    • Stabilizer: Yes, two-plane
    • Fire rate: 6 roudns/min
  • Main armament ammunition:
    • M152/3:
      • Type: HEATFS
      • Velocity: 1173m/s
      • Projectile mass: 10.5kg
      • Explosive type: Composition B
      • Explosive mass (TNTe): 1.27kg
    • M156:
      • Type: HESH
      • Velocity: 732m/s
      • Projectile mass: 14.85kg
      • Explosive type: Composition A
      • Explosive mass (TNTe):
    • M110
      • Type: HE-MP-FS
      • Velocity: 800m/s
      • Projectile mass: 13.6
      • Explosive type: CLX663
      • Explosive mass (TNTe): ~1.59kg
    • M426
      • Type: 3rd gen APFSDS
      • Velocity: 1455m/s
      • Projectile mass: 4.3kg
      • Explosive type: N/A
      • Explosive mass (TNTe): N/A
    • M428 "SWORD"
      • Type: 4th gen APFSDS
      • Velocity: 1505m/s
      • Projectile mass: unknown, likely higher than M426.
      • Explosive type: N/A
      • Explosive mass (TNTe): N/A
      • Note: ingame it will be either similar or better than M900
    • M416
      • Type: Smoke
      • Velocity: 730m/s
      • Projectile mass: 11.4kg
      • Explosive type: Smoke composition
      • Explosive mass (TNTe): 50g
  • Secondary armament: 7.62mm FN-MAG
    • Ammunition in magazine: 500
    • Ammunition stored in hull: 1500
    • fire rate: 600 rounds/min
  • Turret horizontal traverse: fully electric, exact traverse speed is unknown as of now, but likely to be fast

Notes

* Calculated using ASCOD 2's hull length and 105LW barrel length

** One of the sources states the Sabrah light tank has a higher elevation arc than the original platforms

Sources

Final words:

That is my 3rd suggestion already and it seems you guys like them. I will make more in the future. Also, I originally wanted to make a suggestion for both the Sabra ASCOD and the Sabra Pandur (the variant based on the Pandur II hull), however, due to the Sabra Pandur not being built yet, I chose to not suggest it just yet. I will make a suggestion for it once more information is available.

anyhow, see y'all around!

Edited by ofekk213
History section had been expanded and received additional information
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal

• Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion:goodsnail:

• Upvote 1

On 06/08/2022 at 20:32, ofekk213 said:

The Sabrah light ta--

10553728_620799148039900_548401419214813

My beloved 

On 06/08/2022 at 20:32, ofekk213 said:

wait a second...

Thats not a Sabrah light tank, thats the Sabra medium tank! Hang on...

*clears throat*

The Sabrah ASCOD

FVO_fKQUYAAGmsP.jpg.a717d32f930503e9418d

Oh, okay  :(

Jokes aside, great addition, +1

• Upvote 1

• Suggestion Moderator
4 hours ago, ofekk213 said:

btw the Sabra Mk.I and Sabra Mk.II already got passed to developers, recommend to check those out

1. They're the author of the Sabra suggestions
  2. No they weren't?
  • Upvote 1

Great suggestion once again! 

Voted for implementation at 11.0 and without Spikes until physically shown (not like they can do a model right now).

I have only a few comments:

1. Driver thermal camera. It has it.

2. Iron Vision, perhaps the biggest addition here. This system allows the crew to see the surroundings and overlays a lot of data and processes IRL. What it could do in-game is either provide automatic target scanning, recognition, and tracking, or if that's OP then just make it give a thermal view in 3rd person, which it can.

3. APU - allows it to keep the batteries charged when the engine's off.

4. Manual loading backup - if the autoloader module is damaged, if it exists at all in game, manual loading would be possible.

5. Recon mast - I don't think we've seen it yet on the Sabrah, but like all the above it's listed in the brochure and it exists on the Carmel demonstrator (where it says SupervisIR - a wide area scanning system):

M113+Elbit+Systems+Future+Fighting+Vehic

Rear view:

EGcpFOnWkAAtgIu-1.jpg

Overall I think this light tank would suffer from having a weak gun but amazing sensors, and in time it could compensate for its not so good gun with an amazing top attack F&F NLOS ATGM.

There is one big risk here. The Sabrah is a plug and play interface to which you can attach all of Elbit's toys (and others), and it makes sense for most customers to not take all the options. So Gaijin might be tempted to leave out a lot of features.

Edited by Zucc_Boi
medal medal

4 hours ago, Zucc_Boi said:

Great suggestion once again! 

Voted for implementation at 11.0 and without Spikes until physically shown (not like they can do a model right now).

I have only a few comments:

1. Driver thermal camera. It has it.

2. Iron Vision, perhaps the biggest addition here. This system allows the crew to see the surroundings and overlays a lot of data and processes IRL. What it could do in-game is either provide automatic target scanning, recognition, and tracking, or if that's OP then just make it give a thermal view in 3rd person, which it can.

3. APU - allows it to keep the batteries charged when the engine's off.

4. Manual loading backup - if the autoloader module is damaged, if it exists at all in game, manual loading would be possible.

5. Recon mast - I don't think we've seen it yet on the Sabrah, but like all the above it's listed in the brochure and it exists on the Carmel demonstrator (where it says SupervisIR - a wide area scanning system):

M113+Elbit+Systems+Future+Fighting+Vehic

Rear view:

EGcpFOnWkAAtgIu-1.jpg

Overall I think this light tank would suffer from having a weak gun but amazing sensors, and in time it could compensate for its not so good gun with an amazing top attack F&F NLOS ATGM.

There is one big risk here. The Sabrah is a plug and play interface to which you can attach all of Elbit's toys (and others), and it makes sense for most customers to not take all the options. So Gaijin might be tempted to leave out a lot of features.

1) thanks for notifying me, as for now, driver thermals in war thunder are near useless as they are only usable in the driver view, which no one uses. this does not mean 3rd person thermals.

2) i wanted to mention this, but i have no idea how gaijin will implement it ingame. it could be modelled as 3rd person thermals and access to 3rd person in simulator mode, but im not sure about how balanced will this be.

3 + 4) the Sabra light tank has fully electric horizontal and vertical drives, and autoloaders turning off when the engine is dead is not modelled in war thunder as of yet (soviet MBT's autoloaders still work when the engine is completly off, for example). all of this combined means that the sabra's turret rotation, gun aiming, and autoloader should not be effected ingame by the engine's state, so technicly we can say the APU will be "modelled" for it.

5) if it was not present on the Sabrah ASCOD on Eurosatory 2022, that likely means the Phillipine Army skipped this option.

6) not at all, the M428 SWORD is a very powerfull 105mm APFSDS, I expect it to either be equal to M900 or perform even better than it. likely better, as the M900 was made in 1991 whereas the M428 SWORD was made in 2003. it will be the most powerfull 105mm APFSDS ingame.

7) not all SPIKEs are Non-Line-Of-Sight, only the SPIKE NLOS. the SPIKEs the Sabrah light tank uses is the SPIKE-LR-II, with >910mm of RHA penetration and a range of 5.5km, and it is IR guided. you need an initial line of sight but after you shoot you can forget about it.

8) this is actually a plus, as it allows gaijin to add or remove features instead of pushing the vehicle into an unsuitable BR position.

you know, now that i think about it, meybe i will do a suggestion for the Carmel demonstrator. i will think about it after the event is over.

medal medal medal

33 minutes ago, ofekk213 said:

3 + 4) the Sabra light tank has fully electric horizontal and vertical drives, and autoloaders turning off when the engine is dead is not modelled in war thunder as of yet (soviet MBT's autoloaders still work when the engine is completly off, for example). all of this combined means that the sabra's turret rotation, gun aiming, and autoloader should not be effected ingame by the engine's state, so technicly we can say the APU will be "modelled" for it.

I was talking about batteries draining when engine is off or dead. You can repair the engine and scoot before batteries drain, usually.

6) not at all, the M428 SWORD is a very powerfull 105mm APFSDS, I expect it to either be equal to M900 or perform even better than it. likely better, as the M900 was made in 1991 whereas the M428 SWORD was made in 2003. it will be the most powerfull 105mm APFSDS ingame.

Yeah but with its onboard tech, it would be even more advanced than 11.0 MBTs, so it will have an effect on its BR, thus it will run around with a 105mm gun against MBTs that need a 120mm gun to be defeated (frontally).

not all SPIKEs are Non-Line-Of-Sight, only the SPIKE NLOS. the SPIKEs the Sabrah light tank uses is the SPIKE-LR-II, with >910mm of RHA penetration and a range of 5.5km, and it is IR guided. you need an initial line of sight but after you shoot you can forget about it.

All Spikes except for Spike SR are NLOS. The reason why the NLOS is called that is because there's no way you're getting a lock-on at its intended ranges before you launch.

You don't necessarily need a lock with Spike LR2, and it doesn't lock on an IR spot necessarily either. It has both an uncooled IIR and a day sensor, and we know from combat footage that it's launched at "cold" targets as well.

The algorithm seems to be pattern recognition, not merely seeking a hot spot, so you can just shoot it at whatever in the general direction of a perceived target, and then guide it from there until it locks on.

What makes the LR2 really dangerous if implemented properly in game, at least versus the LR1, is the launch on coordinates. Imagine how game breaking it would be to summon it like artillery, except it's almost guaranteed to get a kill. So on that I propose manual guidance until lock-on, no blind shooting all the way.

While writing my previous comment, I also thought about Carmel actually being viable. Lol.

Edited by Zucc_Boi
medal medal

On 15/08/2022 at 15:55, Zucc_Boi said:

I was talking about batteries draining when engine is off or dead. You can repair the engine and scoot before batteries drain, usually.

Yeah but with its onboard tech, it would be even more advanced than 11.0 MBTs, so it will have an effect on its BR, thus it will run around with a 105mm gun against MBTs that need a 120mm gun to be defeated (frontally).

All Spikes except for Spike SR are NLOS. The reason why the NLOS is called that is because there's no way you're getting a lock-on at its intended ranges before you launch.

You don't necessarily need a lock with Spike LR2, and it doesn't lock on an IR spot necessarily either. It has both an uncooled IIR and a day sensor, and we know from combat footage that it's launched at "cold" targets as well.

The algorithm seems to be pattern recognition, not merely seeking a hot spot, so you can just shoot it at whatever in the general direction of a perceived target, and then guide it from there until it locks on.

What makes the LR2 really dangerous if implemented properly in game, at least versus the LR1, is the launch on coordinates. Imagine how game breaking it would be to summon it like artillery, except it's almost guaranteed to get a kill. So on that I propose manual guidance until lock-on, no blind shooting all the way.

While writing my previous comment, I also thought about Carmel actually being viable. Lol.

APFSDS is not dependent on the caliber as much as HEAT or full AP. what determines  the post-penetration damage is the projectile weight (the penetrator's weight, without the casing of course).

while the exact weight is classified, the M900 weighs 3.85kg, and its very likely that M428 weighs more due to being a more modern shell. for reference, M829A2 weighs 4.64kg and M338 weighs 5.08kg, both of thosr are 120mm APFSDS shells and therefore can have a higher shell weight due to the increased diameter.

I expect M428 to be around 4kg-4.4kg ingame, which would put it on par with the Type 10 APFSDS (also a 120mm APFSDS).

medal medal medal

Yes, but there's a limit on how much energy it has at the muzzle because a smaller gun with a smaller chamber can handle less total pressure (not PSI, total).

I don't know, maybe the M900 is on par with some 120mm. Didn't play US high tier, and highest I've ever got was 9.0. If the 105mm M428 can do fine at above 11.0, then fine. But the way I see it, new 105mm can only start to compete with old 120mm shells.

medal medal

On 18/08/2022 at 17:04, Zucc_Boi said:

Yes, but there's a limit on how much energy it has at the muzzle because a smaller gun with a smaller chamber can handle less total pressure (not PSI, total).

I don't know, maybe the M900 is on par with some 120mm. Didn't play US high tier, and highest I've ever got was 9.0. If the 105mm M428 can do fine at above 11.0, then fine. But the way I see it, new 105mm can only start to compete with old 120mm shells.

M900 has 522mm of penetration and from my experience has a lot of spalling (especially for a 105mm APFSDS). M428 will be pretty much on equal or close power to top-tier 120mm APFSDS shells, I expect ~560-600mm of RHAe penetration and as much spalling as a 120mm APFSDS, meybe more.

medal medal medal

Eibit should mount this turret manned and unmanned on the eitan as a "proof of concept" like the type 16. An MGS version of the Eitan would be very nice. It would allow the israeli wheel'd battle groups heavier support fire without having to detach a Merkava to support the Eitan's equipped with 30mm autocannons, allowing the group to be fully wheeled and mobile.

I imagine the unmanned Sabra LT turret will have Composite-RHA pieces added similar to the unmanned 30mm on the Namer and Eitan.

Spoiler

maxresdefault.jpg

A 105mm Eitan MGS would be very nice to see anyhow

Edited by PARDUS IX@live
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 18/08/2022 at 17:04, Zucc_Boi said:

I've recently discovered Elbit offeres the Sabrah light tank with a 120mm L/45 cannon configuration as well (I presume its the Israeli MG253). Meybe if some nation orderes some I'll be able to suggest that.

medal medal medal

10 hours ago, ofekk213 said:

תמונה

Interestingly enough, I've found this illustration/photoshop on Twitter. At least, I believe it's photoshopped. I wish Israel made something like this...

The source says the image is courtesy of Elbit, but it's definitely photoshopped in some way.

10 hours ago, ofekk213 said:

I've recently discovered Elbit offeres the Sabrah light tank with a 120mm L/45 cannon configuration as well (I presume its the Israeli MG253). Meybe if some nation orderes some I'll be able to suggest that.

Supposedly the turret's mechanically built around the Hitfact turret, so it can interface with the 120mm L45, but it's not the MG253. Rather, it's an Italian gun.

medal medal

On 23/09/2022 at 09:54, Zucc_Boi said:

The source says the image is courtesy of Elbit, but it's definitely photoshopped in some way.

Supposedly the turret's mechanically built around the Hitfact turret, so it can interface with the 120mm L45, but it's not the MG253. Rather, it's an Italian gun.

Actually, the turret is not related in any way to the Hitfact Mk.II turret, but I understand the confusion and I'll explain:

At the very beggining of the development of the Sabrah light tank, Elbit planned on using the Italian Hitfact Mk.II turret for it, we can see it in many initial CGI illustrations:

image.png.606b209c89b4529f38eb27343fc289

image.png.e704e6ce3c48091e3b41457fc3513c

image.png.045e6fd043abde569bc1507b08f3df

image.png.811b1b6ed8cefcf35740a7dccf5a0c

However, the PA (Philippines Army) was not satisfied with the solution, as the regional government of Belgium has an arms embargo on the Philippines, which would cause delays in delivery of the systems.

Due to that, Elbit and Denel (a South african military corporation) designed a turret and 105mm cannon together, which lead to this:

image.png.492b799f76f7beea111d708c4a0a69

image.png.28d7a6b2c30e469555c488862afa57

image.png.d1bebeba9640be49dea5752b713c36

As you can see, the final turret looks nothing like the Hitfact Mk.II

In addition, Elbit's solutions in general are extremely modular, so I expect this turret to be able to house any NATO 105mm/120mm cannon.

medal medal medal

I assume this was your source:

https://www.israeldefense.co.il/en/node/45747

You are correct. The gun itself however seems to be made by Elbit. Before Elbit acquired IMI, IMI listed proprietary 105mm and 120mm gun designs in its portfolio.

As for looks, I strongly recommend against judging by looks. Hanwha's AS21 offer to Australia includes the T2000 turret which seems nothing like the UT30 Mk2.

medal medal