How to sort out the crew roster

So started War Thunder recently, only really played planes. I have 5 crew, all at level 4/5 qualified on all kinds of planes, mostly play arcade, sometimes try realistic but die without contributing. This may be a sub-optimal crew configuration. Is it better to only have 2 or 3 crew for planes, maybe with each slot trained more towards certain roles (e.g. one crew with more experienced gunners, another better a G-Force, etc...)?

All help gratefully received.

1 hour ago, Same_Team said:

So started War Thunder recently, only really played planes. I have 5 crew, all at level 4/5 qualified on all kinds of planes, mostly play arcade, sometimes try realistic but die without contributing. This may be a sub-optimal crew configuration. Is it better to only have 2 or 3 crew for planes, maybe with each slot trained more towards certain roles (e.g. one crew with more experienced gunners, another better a G-Force, etc...)?

Really depends on what you want to do, really. For arcade, as more as better. Every slot is a life. For realistic you basicly just need a single slot. I'm generally using just the first 2 slots for planes, mostly for air and ground RB. I put a fighter in the first slot and a bomber/ground attacker/heli in the second. That's for ground RB spawn cost reasons. 

But I don't play arcade, really. In the rare cases I play it, mostly for tasks, I use all ten slots. A Lv75 maxed out crew is quite fast to reach for air anyway.

Edited by KillstealBot1000
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal

16 hours ago, Same_Team said:

Look, you have 74 games under your belt. This game has a long term perspective however. And planes are the easiest crew type to improve. They max out much faster than ships or tanks.

From my own experience in AB, air crew skills are overrated by new or poor players.

Here is my advice:

Don't spend any points on gunners before the rest is done. Gunner skills really only make a difference when they reach like 10.

Make sure you buy expert for the planes you use. As "expert" has way more impact than any single crew improvement, improve your crews where it is cheapest. You really need crew level most, not the individual skills. And to buy expert, you need a minimum crew level.

If you want to train crews, use that crew with your best RP earner (usually a talisman or premium plane). So really, you might want to move the good earners around on all slots.

Edited by Dodo_Dud
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

3 hours ago, Dodo_Dud said:

Don't spend any points on gunners before the rest is done. Gunner skills really only make a difference when they reach like 10.

Okay, will be putting the points elsewhere. I think as a newbie I thought that some better defensive gunners will help keep me alive but this hasn't really been the case anyway.

3 hours ago, Dodo_Dud said:

Make sure you buy expert for the planes you use. As "expert" has way more impact than any single crew improvement, improve your crews where it is cheapest. You really need crew level most, not the individual skills. And to buy expert, you need a minimum crew level.

Thanks, I had never really looked at or understood that bit. I now see that qualification is a generally boost to skills for a specific plane, whereas skills are global for that crew.

On 06/08/2022 at 10:40, Same_Team said:

I now see that qualification is a generally boost to skills for a specific plane

Yes. Expert gives you instantly what would take a long time to gain on a crews general skills. BUT, the crew needs a certain crew level to be able to buy expert, so that level you must reach.

Edited by Dodo_Dud
  • Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

What Dodo_Dud said, expert is essential (though for whatever reason even most streamers don't bother with that) as an added bonus, once a vehicle is experted you can get an ace crew through simply playing (admittedly, a lot...) that vehicle. By the time you made it to an ace crew you'll have a pretty amount of crewpoints as well ;)

• Thanks 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

With regard to crew skills, the amount that each thing contributes towards the total amount is 50% from the skill bars you put points into (for tanks/ships, 40% from the skill itself and 10% from the Leadership skill), 30% comes from Expert (SL), and 20% from Ace (GE, or a lot of RP after Experting).

Experting is valuble, though is less valuble for planes compared to tanks/ships, and it's a pretty big SL sink. One of the biggest mistakes I made early on was spamming Expert status at basically everything I unlocked, and it significantly hurt my SL income.

medal medal

On 06/08/2022 at 07:24, Same_Team said:

This depends on the game mode. If you like the play arcade, then the more crew slots the better. If you like playing realistic, then you only need one crew slot minimum (I play realistic and prefer 5-6 though, cause I like seeing my planes out in the hangar)