How to play Gunboats?

Hello, I’m a new player and I just unlocked the German R-41 In Coastal. I want to know are there any tips to playing Gunboats? They are big and slow and the shells and slow to, also there rate of fire is slow and they can easily gat torpedoed by a fast ship and bombed by a plane (I got bombed last match). So do any of you have tips? I know you guys might say I’m insane for trying coastal without adding destroyers.

Oh ok, I was just scared I was gonna get shamed on YouTube for being a sucker on Gunbaots on my YT channel

18 hours ago, Zuschnellfliegen said:

Hello, I’m a new player and I just unlocked the German R-41 In Coastal. I want to know are there any tips to playing Gunboats? They are big and slow and the shells and slow to, also there rate of fire is slow and they can easily gat torpedoed by a fast ship and bombed by a plane (I got bombed last match). So do any of you have tips? I know you guys might say I’m insane for trying coastal without adding destroyers.

They're just there to effectively slow down your research towards the actually useful fast torpedo gun boats. Either spade them and move on, or skip them completely and just play the fast boats to grind. The rest of the German gunboats(even the R-130) should be much better.

• Haha 1
medal medal medal

20 hours ago, Zuschnellfliegen said:

Oh ok, I was just scared I was gonna get shamed on YouTube for being a sucker on Gunbaots on my YT channel

Nah - you'll be able to appear wise beyond your experience by helping other new players get through a painful stage of their naval grind! :D

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

22 hours ago, Zuschnellfliegen said:

The usefulness of gun boats depends on the map. On some maps e.g. North Port you have only a short distance to the cap point. Let all the fast boats rush to the cap point and shoot at them from behind a small cover. On other maps the cap point is surrounded by islands, attention is on capping while you can shoot from behind. But you should get some experience in shooting, so don't be disappointed if it doesn't work well in the beginning. ( I assume playing in RB mode)

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

Hello there! Like everyone as advised, being so low BR, there is no need to worrying about performance. Its just something there to fill the tech tree and grind through. Games go quick at that BR and by the end of the day (or half with premium), youll be in rank 3 coastal playing with more capable boats. 

I suggest sticking with coastal lineups until you get Jaguar, then slot in a destroyer and start the bluewater journey. You can make effective lineups between BR 2.7 and 3.7.

Gus

medal

Ok but also how to you add a destroyer to your coastal lineup or vice versa? I heard a lot of people saying that but I don’t know how

You shouldn't combine low tier destroyers and low tier coastal boats. You will always be uptiered to 3.3 and there will be guys like me in high tier boats farming you and your reserve vehicles. And don't concentrate your efforts on one tech tree, play them all and find what suits your playstyle best. Have fun and good hunting. 

2 hours ago, Zuschnellfliegen said:

Ok but also how to you add a destroyer to your coastal lineup or vice versa? I heard a lot of people saying that but I don’t know how

Just add a destroyer to your lineup, along with coastals and aircraft. The game mode will still be naval arcade/realistic battles.

medal medal medal

2 minutes ago, kkang2828 said:

Just add a destroyer to your lineup, along with coastals and aircraft. The game mode will still be naval arcade/realistic battles.

Does it have to be realistic mode to add a coastal to your destroyer line up and vice versa? And how to add? Do you have any specific instructions or videos? Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Zuschnellfliegen said:

Does it have to be realistic mode to add a coastal to your destroyer line up and vice versa? And how to add? Do you have any specific instructions or videos? Thanks!

No. Both naval arcade and realistic battles allow you to spawn in coastal vessels, bluewater vessels, and aircraft. You get 3 vessel spawns and 2 aircraft spawns. Reserve vehicles get 3 spawns, and others get 1 spawn, unless you are using a backup. Vessel spawns are free, while aircraft spawns require a certain amount of spawn points, which you gain by performing combat actions such as capturing a point or damaging/killing an enemy vehicle. You are able to choose aircraft from your own preselected line-up, provided the aircraft is not more than one BR step higher than your highest-rated vessel (for example, a BR 3.3 boat would allow up to BR 3.7 aircraft to be used). A random aircraft from game-generated pools of the same nation can also be selected instead (with a BR lower than your highest-rated vessel by up to 1.0), divided into two categories: fighters and bombers/attackers. If you wanted to respawn the same type of aircraft again (i.e respawning as a fighter for second time) the respawn price for said category of aircraft will be doubled. You can see the current amount of SP and the SP cost of a vehicle in your spawn screen. See the screenshot.

1896881569_(142).png.e263b005fee759b51fd

Matchmaking works the same way in both naval Arcade and Realistic battles. The battle rating of the highest BR naval vessel is used, with players able to see naval vessels and aircraft with BR ±1.0. Aircraft with BR up to one BR step (+0.3/0.4) above the highest BR naval vessel can also be taken. If the BR of the aircraft exceeds the BR of the naval vessel, its BR will be used instead. Aircraft more than one BR step higher than the highest naval vessel are not taken into account and will not be available to be used in the battle. For example, for a lineup consisting of a BR 2.0 naval vessel and a BR 2.3 aircraft, the BR of the aircraft is taken, and vehicles with BR between 1.3 and 3.3 can be seen. For a lineup consisting of a BR 2.0 naval vessel and a BR 2.7 aircraft, the aircraft will not be taken into battle and vehicles with BR between 1.0 and 3.0 will be seen. Ground units in the lineup are not taken into account and cannot be taken into battle. Neither can damaged vehicles or vehicles on Crew lock. You can see your current lineup's matchmaking BR in the parentheses aside your selected game mode.

As for adding vehicles to your lineup, you click on one of your crew slots and click the button below the vehicle icon with up/down arrows on it. That will display a menu with various filter options where you can assign any vehicle you own to that crew. You can also not assign a vehicle to a crew by sending them on holiday. You can also create presets so that you won't have to reassign every crew when you want to play a different lineup. See the screenshots.

1592639464_shot2022_06_2312_36_49.jpg.60

1535727368_shot2022_06_2312_40_34.jpg.69

506107013_shot2022_06_2312_40_40.jpg.d6d

Also you don't have to force yourself to grind to the top tier MTBs if what you really want to play is bluewater. Any fast boat with decent guns, torpedoes, and/or depth charges(you would be surprised how useful depth charges are as a sort of grenade-like weapon when you are within torpedo arming distance) should work well enough. For the Germans, both S-100 boats work reasonably well in bluewater battles. 

medal medal medal

Wow! Thanks for writing such a detailed post!

6 hours ago, Senor_Torpedo@psn said:

You shouldn't combine low tier destroyers and low tier coastal boats. You will always be uptiered to 3.3 ...

This is silly advice - if you are at 3.3 with your coastal boats already then adding a 3.3 destroyer makes exactly no difference to who/what you will face - as @kkang2828 has noted there is no differentiation in the game between coastal and blue water, and you will already have been facing blue water 3.3 destroyers when you get to 2.3 anyway.

Uptiers are always a pain - be it on sea, land or in the air - that much never changes!

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

25 minutes ago, Josephs_Piano said:

This is silly advice - if you are at 3.3 with your coastal boats already then adding a 3.3 destroyer makes exactly no difference to who/what you will face - as @kkang2828 has noted there is no differentiation in the game between coastal and blue water, and you will already have been facing blue water 3.3 destroyers when you get to 2.3 anyway.

Uptiers are always a pain - be it on sea, land or in the air - that much never changes!

If you are at 2.3 you will sometimes have a max 3.3 BR game and sometimes have a max BR 2.3, if you add a 3.3 destroyer you all of a sudden will see lowest 3.3 BR and can see 4.3.

Yes if you have 3.3 coastal its worth adding a destroyer, but not before.

medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, Paul__C said:

If you are at 2.3 you will sometimes have a max 3.3 BR game and sometimes have a max BR 2.3, if you add a 3.3 destroyer you all of a sudden will see lowest 3.3 BR and can see 4.3.

Yes if you have 3.3 coastal its worth adding a destroyer, but not before.

Guess it comes down to personal preference. I've personally found 2.3 torpedo boats quite useful in bluewater matches.

medal medal medal

25 minutes ago, kkang2828 said:

Guess it comes down to personal preference. I've personally found 2.3 torpedo boats quite useful in bluewater matches.

I think it depends on your goals, if you are grinding bluewater and want a torp boat to support? then yeah a 2.3 coastal and 4.3 bluewater makes sense.

If you want to grind out coastal then you are seriously hurting yourself by including a higher BR bluewater.

medal medal medal medal medal

38 minutes ago, kkang2828 said:

I've personally found 2.3 torpedo boats quite useful in bluewater matches.

Indeed - the 3.3 destroyers are pretty easy prey for fast PT boats, and there's 2.3 PT boats at Tier 3 for at least the British and Italians (maybe 1 of the Pr 123's for the USSR too - I use it a lot but forget the BR) - so you can get the task to kill Blue Water ships with coastal using torpedoes quite easily.

27 minutes ago, Paul__C said:

I think it depends on your goals, if you are grinding bluewater and want a torp boat to support? then yeah a 2.3 coastal and 4.3 bluewater makes sense.

If you want to grind out coastal then you are seriously hurting yourself by including a higher BR bluewater.

Definitely.

medal medal medal

Hey guys, going a bit off-topic here, but I for some reason bought the Prinz Eugen at the summer sale, and I have been having a lot of fun with it. Anyways, what premium planes do you guys suggest I buy (for naval)?

On 23/06/2022 at 20:05, Zuschnellfliegen said:

Hey guys, going a bit off-topic here, but I for some reason bought the Prinz Eugen at the summer sale, and I have been having a lot of fun with it. Anyways, what premium planes do you guys suggest I buy (for naval)?

Hmm. Jumping to heavy cruisers with little to no bluewater experience is not a good idea. You could also have waited until the anniversary sales in November when individual packs are 50% off. You'll also be leaving after 1 death or spawning in a rank 1 destroyer. Such behavior is looked down upon by the more serious part of the naval community. But if you are having fun, that's good enough I guess. 

As for premium planes, nearly every good German plane for naval is actually in the researchable tree. The He 111s, the Ju 88(bomber)s, the Bf 110s, the Me 410(only the basic A-1 and B-1)s, Fw 190 A-5/U2 and F-8, Me 264, Do 217(bomber)s, Ju 188, He 177, and even the Ar 234B-2 when you get to battleships. The only premium I could recommend would be the Ju 288C, which is a great bomber. But that would uptier you to 6.0 where you'll see even more battleships. It's up to you to decide whether it's worth it or not.

Edited by kkang2828
  • Confused 1
medal medal medal

5 hours ago, Josephs_Piano said:

Sorry, but this not a silly advice. If you're grinding/spading low tier coastal boats of BR 1.0 to 2.3 it is not very clever to artificially uptier your lineup to -in this case Leopard- 3.7. In the worst case your 1.7 boats have to face Battle class, Fletchers, Gearings and the like, they will shread you to pieces. I just had a match in my Russian 3.3 coastal lineup where most of my opponents played reserve DDs and reserve boats, they were beaten up by me and a lucky guy in his PR 206.  

Edited by Senor_Torpedo@psn
Misspelling

11 hours ago, kkang2828 said:

Hmm. Jumping to heavy cruisers with little to no bluewater experience is not a good idea. You could also have waited until the anniversary sales in November when individual packs are 50% off. You'll also be leaving after 1 death or spawning in a rank 1 destroyer. Such behavior is looked down upon by the more serious part of the naval community. But if you are having fun, that's good enough I guess. 

As for premium planes, nearly every good German plane for naval is actually in the researchable tree. The He 111s, the Ju 88(bomber)s, the Bf 110s, the Me 410(only the basic A-1 and B-1)s, Fw 190F-8, Me 264, Do 217(bomber)s, Ju 188, He 177, and even the Ar 234B-2 when you get to battleships. The only premium I could recommend would be the Ju 288C, which is a great bomber. But that would uptier you to 6.0 where you'll see even more battleships. It's up to you to decide whether it's worth it or not.

I have been having a lot of fun with it, and I never died (in fact I die more often in lower BR) I have been thinking about the Arado 234B, but it takes a lot of time to grind and I’m bad at planes. My highest plane in the German Tech tree is the Fw190 A-1, and I’m wondering if it’s good for naval?

16 hours ago, Zuschnellfliegen said:

I have been having a lot of fun with it, and I never died (in fact I die more often in lower BR) I have been thinking about the Arado 234B, but it takes a lot of time to grind and I’m bad at planes. My highest plane in the German Tech tree is the Fw190 A-1, and I’m wondering if it’s good for naval?

Lucky for you. Guess you haven’t seen many battleships yet? The 190 A-1 can’t carry bombs so it’s pretty useless against ships. Again you can check that easily in-game.

How far are you along the other German aviation research lines?

Edited by kkang2828
medal medal medal