Methods to resolve GRAPHICS bug on Mac(version. wind of change)

English Version

Although I'm an xbox user, I often use a mac as a mobile platform for gaming.
Since the wind of change update, when I play War Thunder on my Mac, I've noticed strange display issues, manifested in strange shapes and colors on the display, that get worse the longer I play. It's a little better when using the gunner's view, but it still doesn't allow me to play properly. This bug affects my operation, although I have a premium account, but I have to reduce the number of games, hoping to get a premium account compensation for a certain amount of time.
I have tried many solutions, and finally found that it is caused by the full screen mode of the game. Here is my solution and it works for my Mac (MBP 16" 2019).
1. Update the game to the latest version.
2. Hide the menu and dock in the mac's settings.
3. Download the RDM https://github.com/avibrazil/RDM, open the app, and view the list of resolutions and refresh rates supported by your monitor. When gaming, choose the appropriate game resolution and refresh rate according to your graphics card performance (eg I want to use 2304*1440 60hz).
4. Open /Applications/WarThunderLauncher.app/Contents/WarThunder.app/Contents/Resources/game/config.blk
5. Modify the content of the file. The modified part is the mode and resolution in graphics{}. The content after modification is
  mode:t="windowedscreen"
  resolution:t="2304 x 1420"
Note that it is 1420 not 1440. When you set it, it should be 20 less than the width you want to set, otherwise information such as delay and packet loss will be hidden.
Save the file, preferably set the file to be read-only for you.
6. Open /Applications/WarThunderLauncher.app/Contents/WarThunder.app directly to enjoy the game in windowed mode. Note, do this every time after that.
Note: If there is a game update, you need to set config.blk to be readable and writable, and update the game in the launcher, and then redo it from 1. After exiting the game, please adjust the resolution of the RDM to the resolution for daily use.

中文版本(Chinese version)

虽然我是xbox用户,但我经常使用mac作为游戏移动平台。
自从wind of change更新后,当我在Mac上玩战争雷霆的时候,会发现奇怪的显示问题,表现在显示器出现奇怪的形状和颜色,游戏时间越长问题越严重。当使用炮手视角时,情况会好一点,但这仍然不能让我正常游戏。这个bug影响了我的操作,虽然我有高级账号,但我不得不减少游戏次数,希望得到一定时间的高级账号补偿。
我试过很多种解决办法,最终发现是因为游戏全屏模式导致的。这是我的解决方案,对我的Mac(MBP 16" 2019)是有效的。
1.更新游戏到最新版本。
2.在mac的设置中隐藏菜单和dock。
3.下载RDM https://github.com/avibrazil/RDM,打开app,查看你的显示器支持的分辨率和刷新率列表。当游戏时,根据你的显卡性能选择适当的游戏分辨率和刷新率(如我想使用2304*1440 60hz)。
4.打开/Applications/WarThunderLauncher.app/Contents/WarThunder.app/Contents/Resources/game/config.blk
5.对文件内容进行修改,被修改的部分是graphics{}里的mode和resolution。修改完成后的内容为
  mode:t="windowedscreen"
  resolution:t="2304 x 1420"
注意是1420而不是1440。在你设置时,应当比想设置的宽度少20,否则会隐藏延迟和丢包等信息。
保存文件,最好设置文件为你只读。
6.直接打开/Applications/WarThunderLauncher.app/Contents/WarThunder.app,享受窗口模式的游戏。注意,之后每次都这样做。
注意:如果出现游戏更新,需要设置config.blk为可读写,并在启动器进行游戏更新,之后从1重做一遍。退出游戏后,请调整RDM的分辨率变为日常使用的分辨率。

some related topics:

And please fix it soon.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thanks to this tip, I played a flew a full mission for the first time in months! I still had flickering and blackouts. But the game did not crash! Was able to complete a full mission. :lol2:

However, there are some magic "wave the hand" steps. For example, probably could use better explanation of Step 2.

And Step 3 seems very useless.  :crazy: Where is there a downloadable version of this software? Not everyone can download source code and compile.

Please brag a little!  How in the world did you think of this solution? What clues and thought process led you to think these steps could possibly solve this problem?!  Please BRAG and tell us!

medal medal medal medal

It is unlikely that they will care about this problem, i will start spamming them in different pages to raise awareness. This is completely unacceptable to me at this point

• Like 1
medal medal medal

17 hours ago, BeerHaus said:

Thanks to this tip, I played a flew a full mission for the first time in months! I still had flickering and blackouts. But the game did not crash! Was able to complete a full mission. :lol2:

However, there are some magic "wave the hand" steps. For example, probably could use better explanation of Step 2.

And Step 3 seems very useless.  :crazy: Where is there a downloadable version of this software? Not everyone can download source code and compile.

Please brag a little!  How in the world did you think of this solution? What clues and thought process led you to think these steps could possibly solve this problem?!  Please BRAG and tell us!

Oh sorry I type it in Chinese and then google translate to English because I don't want to type twice. Maybe this can cause some misunderstanding.

Step 2.That's depend on OS version but I'm using the old version 10.15 so maybe there is some difference. You can google it like "how to hide menu bar and dock in mac" and may get some help.

Step 3. RDM can be downloaded in http://avi.alkalay.net/software/RDM/ and you can choose DMG or PKG file you want. That link was in the bottom of the page of github.

If you don't use built-in retina display, I mean, if you use a 1080P or 2K monitor, you can ignore Step 3 and use the real resolution of your monitor. Or you will have to suffer the low game resolution  in retina display.

Feel glad to help you.

The clues? I remembered someone on forums said that windowed mode solves the graphics problem on mac in ancient version of this game, but probably can't find the topic anymore.

This is my xbox account. I have another PC account created in 2014.

You are right. There is still some flickering. But at least, I don't worry about that I have to quit the game in the middle. 

Thanks LightSplash7326 the option you give and try it but it was worse than before, it had a lot of graphic flickers in a row. I came back as I had before I still have problems of blinking but it is from time to time and not so often. 

I already see that with the new update that comes gives me the impression that it will be worse since in almost 3 months they did nothing to solve.  ¬¬

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is not fixed and honestly, us Mac users should not have to create a bunch of workarounds.  Yesterday, the artifacts and flickering was worse than it has ever been. If Gajin has decided to not support Macs any longer, just tell us. I can go a week or two and sign on only to have the same issues. Bummer!

• Like 1

On 19/06/2022 at 21:02, _HighFrameRate_ said:

It is not fixed and honestly, us Mac users should not have to create a bunch of workarounds.  Yesterday, the artifacts and flickering was worse than it has ever been. If Gajin has decided to not support Macs any longer, just tell us. I can go a week or two and sign on only to have the same issues. Bummer!

This bug is still appearing on my Mac.

While my method still worked on my Mac.

https://community.gaijin.net/issues/p/warthunder/i/QRQrtb3Ushtg
six months
I have no words

On 24.06.2022 at 03:56, P0stPack said:

Как вы думаете, проблема в устаревших графических драйверах? Кто-нибудь попробуйте обновиться до monterey и посмотреть, исправлено ли это или нет

still crash with Monterey 

medal

• 4 months later...