Well, the weather was awesome

Kernow1346

I’ve not played much EC since the spring, as I’ve been grinding Naval trees.  I played a few games, which seemed to highlight how awful the new rewards are.  I’ve seen a reduction in the number of rooms at all EC brackets, with few of those rooms being anything like historical or interesting in their nation line ups, which has only sent me back to the queue for Naval on some of the occasions I have looked at EC.  However, last night I decided to make a start on my Buccaneer.  It took a while to find any open EC and in the end I had to settle for US, GB, RU and FR fighting against the rest of NATO, but at least the map was Dover, which is good.

The weather was generally fine, with quite a bit of fair weather cumulus, plus a few towering cumulus extending up through the other cloud layers.  I’ve seen such conditions before in WT, but what seemed new was the heavy rain under one of the towering cumulus clouds.  I was returning over Kent and descending towards base, but visibility towards base was greatly reduced by the heavy shower falling from this cloud - very realistic looking.  As I flew through the shower I could hear the droplets hitting the canopy - again, very realistic - and when it all brightened up as I flew out the other side.  Have to say, even when we only had stratus type clouds in multiple layers and varying depths, I always thought WT had more realistic looking weather than Il-2 or DCS.  I’ve not played either of those 2 much recently, but all I recall in those is some variation on a single layer of cumulus at some height.  WT does a very atmospheric showery summer day.

I must have played at least an hour, all in the Buccaneer, and there were not many in the game.  The only enemy I got close to tried attacking me as I had gear down and was lowering full flap on finals, but luckily the 4th or 5th Roland got him.  We won, which helped of course, but even so I thought the rewards were quite decent, which surprised me.  The Buccaneer is a bomber, after all, and Gaijin seem to favour bombers when it comes to rewards -  even stock the Bucc’ can carry a lot of bombs - so maybe that explains it?  On this occasion at least the rewards were as impressive as the weather.

• Like 2
medal

I love the weather effects, the only thing I dislike is the drop in FPS I get when rendering droplets in a entire gray background.

I remember when I started playing, during the loading screen for each missions we would get a weather report with the cloud type (Nimbus, Cumulus, Stratus, Cirrus and it's variations) and it's time of day (dawn, morning, mid-day, afternoon, dusk and night).

I'm also having a break on EC while waiting for the discount season, it's not fun to fly the same old and spaded planes while you have nearly 2 entire tech trees researched (Air Soviet and France) and some blocked by having to buy some vehicles (Air China and Sweden, Soviet Navy, Soviet and France Ground).

• Upvote 1

Weather in Naval is always fine, which is a shame as it could do with some variation.  Ground battles do have rain sometimes, but being on the ground all you can see is rain, you don’t get any sense of it being widespread or just localised showers.  When they first introduced rain it did appear quite often in sim GF, and if you were flying you did see areas of rain and clear areas, with the rain moving through the map.  However, it just seemed like areas of rain which moved across the map, you didn’t get a sense of rain falling from a definite cloud.  That’s what I thought was new (to me) last night and it’s really quite well done.

medal