situational awareness using gunner sights

IHaevATajpo

For true multi crew bombers (B-17) I think use of 3PV is acceptable for lookout and awareness, as gunners don’t otherwise give any indication of what they can see and a multi crew aircraft is about more than just the pilot.  Using the gunners from 3PV is another matter.  Two-man (or more) crews with a single gunner position have the option of using a first person gunner view.  Turning this OFF so that you get a better all-round 3PV (and the stabilised gun sight) is exploiting a loophole that simply should never have been put there.  The views from in aircraft are available and should be used, not the magical external view.

For large aircraft with large crews looking in all directions, the use of the view is an acceptable simulation of a multi crew aircraft.  Otherwise it’s hand-holding.

• Upvote 1
medal

3 hours ago, IHaevATajpo said:

so on a B17 yes on a stuka no

Yes, exactly that, IMO.

Some will say bombers should not even have 3PV at all, but to my mind that’s ‘full hard’ not ‘full real’ or sim.  Yes, it’s true the SA gained is more instant and more full than a bomber crew’s SA IRL, but, to my mind, it’s far less realistic to reduce the SA on a multi-crew bomber to being the SA of the pilot alone.

Edited by Kernow1346
‘s
medal

6 hours ago, IHaevATajpo said:

I've played sim for a while now, mostly bombers or attackers which all have gunners, and I've been using the 3d gunner view to help with my situational awareness. Would you veterans consider it fair play against fighters or should stop with doing this?

It would be 100% fair If gunner didn’t automatically point their guns to Incoming enemy aircrafts, that’s a big giveaway.

But I don’t know, maybe bomber gunners carried binoculars or something In real life.

Edited by Sgt_Rowking@psn
medal

13 hours ago, IHaevATajpo said:

I've played sim for a while now, mostly bombers or attackers which all have gunners, and I've been using the 3d gunner view to help with my situational awareness. Would you veterans consider it fair play against fighters or should stop with doing this?

It's not fair play at all.

IMO it should be AI-gunner only, player should only be the pilot/bombardier.

Edited by LanceLynxx
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal

I'm not a veteran by any means, but I think it would be much fair and immersive if crews gave you spoken warnings, like "incoming fighter at 6'o clock low!" rather than automatically aiming their guns at enemies.

• Upvote 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal