Can't seem to adapt to this game.

Filnisius

No matter how much I try, everything just feels bad man. The more I play with tanks, the more I dislike the whole concept. Everything is a glass cannon in this game and the guy that wins is the guy that shoots first. This has to be the lamest gameplay loop.

I think what's really killing it for me is lack of HP bar. Never played a game like this before and it's really messing me up. I come from a background in Grand Strategy games and RPGs, so this feels really wrong.

How do you people even have fun in this? Just constantly dying everytime 2 min later after spawn of just driving around only to get killed by some guy you failed to spot. I don't know what else to do, I've tried about 4 or 5 nations and every single tank feels the exact same. There is no difference between them. Just glass cannons.

11 minutes ago, Filnisius said:

No matter how much I try, everything just feels bad man. The more I play with tanks, the more I dislike the whole concept. Everything is a glass cannon in this game and the guy that wins is the guy that shoots first. This has to be the lamest gameplay loop.

I think what's really killing it for me is lack of HP bar. Never played a game like this before and it's really messing me up. I come from a background in Grand Strategy games and RPGs, so this feels really wrong.

How do you people even have fun in this? Just constantly dying everytime 2 min later after spawn of just driving around only to get killed by some guy you failed to spot. I don't know what else to do, I've tried about 4 or 5 nations and every single tank feels the exact same. There is no difference between them. Just glass cannons.

Well the game is based in realism and caters for those of us who look for that I  a game. Saying that here's a few things to know.

If you haven't played much and played multiple nations I assume your in tier 1 maybe 2 Max. These are tanks from a time when armour protection didn't really exist and most tanks can pen each other. This is the tiers you learn the game mechanics and game play strategies.  The tanks are generally quicker but fragile so don't get ahead of your abilities. Hang back, move with awareness of the terrain and cover. Start by moving from cover to cover. Observe the visible battle space from safety then advance further or engage an enemy that has pushed out. Watch your mini map. See where your friendlies are and look for enemy markers to get the best image of the battle space possible.

Don't load up with ammo and every type.  Use aphe when possible for the most reliable damage without needing a deep knowledge of the enemy tanks. I personally only carry 15 rounds but early on you probably want to carry maybe 30.  The more ammo you carry the more chance ammo is hit and explodes.

Try to squad up with other players preferably on voice chat so you can learn from each other and their experience. This alone will probably teach you the most. Shadow them and learn what they do.

Now the controversial part. Play Realistic Battles. I don't say this as an arcade snob but from perspective of game mechanics.  Light tanks, tank destroyers etc rely heavily on surprise and not being seen. Arcade shows enemies on the map and a hit marker helps defeat the effectiveness of your armour and make your armour mostly obsolete. It's also another way to get you killed when your otherwise well hidden or in cover.

Watch YouTube. Everyone has a different style and you can learn and try different styles untill you find your style.  Many will also explain their thought processes when they play.

Tier 2 to tier 3 you experience the armour meta and there you may get game play more like you want.

Hope this helps and of you have questions pm me or ask here :)

Good Luck

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

15 minutes ago, Razielkaine said:

Well the game is based in realism and caters for those of us who look for that I  a game. Saying that here's a few things to know.

If you haven't played much and played multiple nations I assume your in tier 1 maybe 2 Max. These are tanks from a time when armour protection didn't really exist and most tanks can pen each other. This is the tiers you learn the game mechanics and game play strategies.  The tanks are generally quicker but fragile so don't get ahead of your abilities. Hang back, move with awareness of the terrain and cover. Start by moving from cover to cover. Observe the visible battle space from safety then advance further or engage an enemy that has pushed out. Watch your mini map. See where your friendlies are and look for enemy markers to get the best image of the battle space possible.

Don't load up with ammo and every type.  Use aphe when possible for the most reliable damage without needing a deep knowledge of the enemy tanks. I personally only carry 15 rounds but early on you probably want to carry maybe 30.  The more ammo you carry the more chance ammo is hit and explodes.

Try to squad up with other players preferably on voice chat so you can learn from each other and their experience. This alone will probably teach you the most. Shadow them and learn what they do.

Now the controversial part. Play Realistic Battles. I don't say this as an arcade snob but from perspective of game mechanics.  Light tanks, tank destroyers etc rely heavily on surprise and not being seen. Arcade shows enemies on the map and a hit marker helps defeat the effectiveness of your armour and make your armour mostly obsolete. It's also another way to get you killed when your otherwise well hidden or in cover.

Watch YouTube. Everyone has a different style and you can learn and try different styles untill you find your style.  Many will also explain their thought processes when they play.

Tier 2 to tier 3 you experience the armour meta and there you may get game play more like you want.

Hope this helps and of you have questions pm me or ask here :)

Good Luck

I am playing RB for the most part. And one thing I do, and is what seems to work the most for me is to simply go to edges of the map and shoot from a distance. On town maps I can't do much, I just hide in a corner and wait for someone to pass. I'm not playing alone, I came here with a friend but he struggles less, since he is more used to these type of games. And I carry very little ammo, half load with the one that has the most explosive filler and pen.

The problem is when I'm forced to go head on with someone else. It almost always goes wrong. The gun won't stop wobbling, they  just turn faster or something else. There is always something that makes me lose head on engagements. And ofcourse the lack of armor, I find it brutally punishing just to die because I made a small mistake. And I don't mind punishments in games, because I do enjoy the Soul series, but I'm finding warthunder too be much harder then a Souls game at this point.

Speaking as an AB player, AB probably gives less initial frustration because you get better visibility of what is going on around you, giving you more time to learn the mechanics.

Because damage is based on physics (or Gaijin's approximation thereof) there are no hit points; either a shot penetrates or it doesn't and, if it does, it will do some damage to whatever it hits. This can range from something extremely trivial like the optics being damaged or a catastrophic ammunition explosion. Shot placement is important because of this, as is knowing your vehicle's weaknesses. There is a lot to learn but personally I would say AB is a more forgiving space to learn in.

Hang back a bit and let your fellow blues mark the enemy then get engaged. At least you will have an idea of where the reds are and where to shoot.

medal medal medal medal

Sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. You mentioned that you were playing RB. Fun game mode to be sure. However, try AB for a little while until you learn the maps and players tendencies. Players tend to go to the same spots and use the same cover positions frequently. We are creatures of habit. Also, your crew skills haven't developed yet. This can lead to all kinds of causes of your demise. Vitality for example. If your crew has low vitality, they are more prone getting injured, killed or will have an extremely slow recovery rate. The lower the vitality of the crew, the easier to destroy your tank by killing the crew.

Your radio operator: he is responsible for detecting enemy positions on the mini map. But he also relays and receives that info, to and from your teammates. You won't see marked enemy positions if your radioman is low in crew points.

As far as a hit bar goes, It doesn't work that way. As you progress up the tech tree it will become evident why. Destroying modules becomes important. Destroying an enemies gun, who is much more powerful then you, gives you the chance to pick him apart while he repairs. Rendering him immobile so he can't retreat behind cover after a long reload, is critical for him. I think once you start learning a few things, you'll discover how amazingly immersive and fun this game really is. Take your time though, try not to go up the tech tree too fast. Stay at the mid BR's for awhile. Earn that SL, learn the maps, get your crew levels up..All this at mid BR's will give you all the tools you'll need at the higher BR's. Try 3.3 - 5.7 for awhile....Once you get there..Bank that SL.....

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, crimfobic said:

Sorry to hear about your frustrating experience. You mentioned that you were playing RB. Fun game mode to be sure. However, try AB for a little while until you learn the maps and players tendencies. Players tend to go to the same spots and use the same cover positions frequently. We are creatures of habit. Also, your crew skills haven't developed yet. This can lead to all kinds of causes of your demise. Vitality for example. If your crew has low vitality, they are more prone getting injured, killed or will have an extremely slow recovery rate. The lower the vitality of the crew, the easier to destroy your tank by killing the crew.

Your radio operator: he is responsible for detecting enemy positions on the mini map. But he also relays and receives that info, to and from your teammates. You won't see marked enemy positions if your radioman is low in crew points.

As far as a hit bar goes, It doesn't work that way. As you progress up the tech tree it will become evident why. Destroying modules becomes important. Destroying an enemies gun, who is much more powerful then you, gives you the chance to pick him apart while he repairs. Rendering him immobile so he can't retreat behind cover after a long reload, is critical for him. I think once you start learning a few things, you'll discover how amazingly immersive and fun this game really is. Take your time though, try not to go up the tech tree too fast. Stay at the mid BR's for awhile. Earn that SL, learn the maps, get your crew levels up..All this at mid BR's will give you all the tools you'll need at the higher BR's. Try 3.3 - 5.7 for awhile....Once you get there..Bank that SL.....

Hmmm...I guess that has an impact on my performance. Maybe I'm playing agaisnt players with better crews then me. I really feel that in Air RB. I constantly black out while my enemy never seems to have that issue.

You're still pretty new as the others said, play some Ground AB. Train your crews, get a feel for the game. Also, I can fully assure you that not everything is a glass cannon. Keep playing and you'll quickly stumble across some tanks that can take a serious beating. :good:

Edited by SturmWerwolf
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

It's always a good habit to use free look camera to see if there were an ambush or were there any enemy not paying attention without exposing your own vehicle. (default by press C )

No one is born to be good at this game, just keep learning and progressing!

:good:Feel free to ask any questions and learn from failed missions.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

43 minutes ago, Monika_in_action said:

(default by press C

^This and B for binoculars, even in AB - binos will extend your sighting distance and allow you to spot reds before they spot you.

medal medal medal medal

22 hours ago, Filnisius said:

the guy that wins is the guy that shoots first

I would be a much happier tanker if this was true...i often lose engagements where i fire first...usually because i dont really aim and hit something non vital...and return fire is better aimed...

This happens more in the middle of the BR range i guess...from 3.0 upwards...

22 hours ago, Filnisius said:

How do you people even have fun in this?

Thats exactly the point...fun is HAVING NO HEALTH BARS...as this means game is more "Realistic"...and skill matters more than the actual weapon you are using. With the side effect that you CANNOT BUY SKILL :) ... so paying customers dont have all the advantages...

(And i say this being a VERY AVERAGE player...i simply think it is fair that better players get to kill me, even when i have the best weapon...it is actually fun for me, because it forces me to think and learn)

11 minutes ago, GhostSoph@psn said:

Thats exactly the point...fun is HAVING NO HEALTH BARS...as this means game is more "Realistic"...and skill matters more than the actual weapon you are using. With the side effect that you CANNOT BUY SKILL :) ... so paying customers dont have all the advantages...

(And i say this being a VERY AVERAGE player...i simply think it is fair that better players get to kill me, even when i have the best weapon...it is actually fun for me, because it forces me to think and learn)

Just because it's realistic doesn't mean more skill or more fun. Countless other non-realistic games outhere that requires tons of skill. So that doesn't make much sense. Realism is just...flavor.

Every game requires skill and if you don't like it, than that's just preference. But I can see where you're coming from, I didn't understand this game at the beginning as well, but I stayed because the realism makes it challenging and because of the thematic. My advice would be to just get to the KV1 at BR 3.7 (USSR), get into AB and you'll learn the game better, because that's a very forgiving vehicle. Till then, learn the maps and the vehicles in general. I know it seems much, but it really isn't because everything has the same base.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 16/09/2021 at 10:49, Filnisius said:

Just because it's realistic doesn't mean more skill or more fun. Countless other non-realistic games outhere that requires tons of skill. So that doesn't make much sense. Realism is just...flavor.

I can explain a bit better. Other FPS i played, both players would turn a corner and start blasting...and the best DPS (Damage per Second) weapon would usually win...

Also...a player would win one such engagement, lose half the health so would lose the next, and so on...

In War Thunder you can kill and enemy tank with one shot...or shoot 10 times and do nothing...same weapon and same target...

Also...you can kill without taking damage...and done right you can do it several times...OR lose your tank for no return...

You can aim at precise weakspots or manouver to take a side shot...and this "effort" or skill is rewarded...

I actually like this...also, the slow reloads of tanks (compared to other FPS games) are better for me...

BUT...it is a matter of preference...i always try FPS hoping to find "slow" games...they will usually become too fast. Even sniper games become fast clickfests...War Thunder is one rare exception...

On 16/09/2021 at 00:09, qpranger said:

Try shooting first.

This can not be stressed enough.

Sure, it's not a failsafe, but as a general rule, it sure is valid.

And, it's also realistic! In Zalogas Book "Armored Champion", this is looked at also in detail, and if memory serves me well, on average, the tank which spots the enemy tank first and engages him first has a 6x higher probability to come out of the encounter as victor, and this was mostly independent of the environment and tanks involved.