Can't enjoy WT anymore

After playing it for years I can't seem to enjoy the game.

Does anyone else suffer the same way? 

I did literally everything in the game.

I literally have everything in the game (except that god damn P-51A ffs)

I tried jets, played with Russians, japanese, Brits, tanks, ships, helicopters.. AB, RB, Sim... every vehicle in every game mode, 

Played with duck, ground pounded with P-47's, I did tournaments, dominated EC, flew in low BR's, did every single possible events.

I am out of ideas, challenges and pleasure now.

I flew IL2 and trying to locate your and enemies position on the map reminded me my time on the military and I enjoyed a lot to fly without GPS or any indicator on the screen.

I wish WT also had such big maps without GPS and simultaneous combined air and ground battles at different locations. It would be more realistic and fun.

So its been awhile with you people.. so what do you think how do you feel about WT?

• Sad 1
medal

Yeah.... There isnt much I do besides play every now and then. Work keeps me busy at 50hrs a week, but I find that the most rewarding part is getting together with friends whenever I can.

No need to stress about grinding or being poor or getting that new vehicle... Just me and the guys flying around, drinking a couple of beers and having fun, laughing about the bugs that havent been fixed and remembering old times. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

37 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Yeah.... There isnt much I do besides play every now and then. Work keeps me busy at 50hrs a week, but I find that the most rewarding part is getting together with friends whenever I can.

No need to stress about grinding or being poor or getting that new vehicle... Just me and the guys flying around, drinking a couple of beers and having fun, laughing about the bugs that havent been fixed and remembering old times. 

Ah yeah probably that, old friends quit playing. Not many left besides me

medal

7 hours ago, AdelWolf said:

Ah yeah probably that, old friends quit playing. Not many left besides me

Ooof... Well what made the game fun for you? And what ruins the fun for you? Do you feel empty inside, or lonely without friends? Taking a break and coming back after might help. 

If you play too much it becomes more of a job than a hobby and youre just grinding at that point. No fun in that.

Edited by [email protected]
medal medal

Well it doesn't help that Gaijin has been focusing so much on adding new vehicles and the mechanics to support them. Sure it helps sell and fund the game, but it won't retain player interest beyond the typical new patch hype.

I'm pretty much at the point myself too since being around during the closed beta days. Lately I just can't stomach playing Ground Forces any more. The mode is just the same arena gameplay, the same repetitive experience. I'm hoping for at least a combined battlefield experience like in EC, or at least like in Planetside 2 if you want to go with the combined battle Arcade route. Just something different from the same team deathmatch we've been having for many years.

Naval... sorry. I like ships, but I don't enjoy playing Conquest / Domination capture circles with them. What I enjoy is doing more Naval EC - actual naval campaign scenarios.

What I'm getting at is that WT severely lacks in the department when it comes to the creativity and innovation to take WT to the next level of gameplay and immersion. I'm worried that Gaijin will just play it safe like most game publishers these days do and just stick to what works. Even continue to just find new ways to monetize (*cough* milk) the community down the road. Just like what Wargaming have done to WoWS that pretty much force me to quit playing that game over a year ago. :(

Edited by I_Termx_I
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

I've had a pause for 4-5 years and came back some over 100 days. My main interest lies in aviation, I have tried tanks and ships some, it don't engage me much. The main problem with WT today lies in wonky FM's, most of the planes wont stall like planes should do, I suspect that the input technology are to sensitive (TM Warthog & MFG Crosswind here) to work fluently. The gameplay are still to shallow, so it turns pretty boring over time. My old team-mates are also into a pause so the cooperative flying don't happen. Then there is games with some nice action and dogfights, that is what I search for in WT these days.

GJ has a pretty loyal sim-gamer base who uses a lot of time and (i'm pretty sure) money on the game. It's a pity that GJ focuses on new content all the way and not serving the Sim playerbase more.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, LostF0X said:

i'm playing more enlisted

I wouldn’t touch another Gaijin game.  I stay in WT due to the previous investment of time, energy, money, but I’d never try another Gaijin product.

Air EC is still a decent mode and shows signs of moving forward, so I can still enjoy that mode, whether playing for fun + grind or simply for fun.

OTOH, playing other modes for BP/earning event items to sell simply confirms how bereft of ideas Gaijin are when it comes to gameplay.  For naval all they could come up with was “capture the chalk circle.”  The chalk circles in ground battles are pretty nonsensical most of the time, but ‘important’ chalk circles on the sea are a completely different level of nonsense.  Playing these other modes really makes me think, “what the hell is the point of all this?”  

Air EC is worthwhile IMO, and by playing fighters/attackers and even some bombers, of all ranks, for most nations, there’s always something I can fly which I haven’t touched in ages should I get bored of flying whatever my current ‘project’ might be.  For example, I’m flying a lot of FR rank 5/6 right now, but I don’t think I’d flown any FR aircraft through all of 2020, when I was spending a lot of time researching the SW tree from biplanes to Draken.

medal

WWII mixed battles used to be fun before they introduced the "new" spawn points system where almost every player uses a SPAA as second or third spawn especially playing Germany or Italy and their deadly SPAAS.

They added heavy bombers doing gunship. 

We can't jump into a tank when the plane is on the runway or we lose the the spawn points. We can't change the payload according to the evolution of the battlefield.

It's the very last game mode where I don't feel useless when I take down an enemy plane or bomb an enemy tank.

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

On 17/04/2021 at 03:33, [email protected] said:

Ooof... Well what made the game fun for you? And what ruins the fun for you? Do you feel empty inside, or lonely without friends? Taking a break and coming back after might help. 

If you play too much it becomes more of a job than a hobby and youre just grinding at that point. No fun in that.

Well when I started the game I couldn't fly and even deploying flaps in the combat was an achievement for me  and it was quite challenging and I used to have goals like having 5/0 KD being good pilot, best pilot, getting "god of war title1, winning some tournaments etc. etc. I was driven by ego but now I don't see any challenge for myself. Whenever I join a game everyone leaves :D  

I was also hoping to see very big maps, combined real time simultaneous air+naval+ground battles. Some real action. After years they haven't changed anything. Rooms are empty. 

Now I haven't flown in 2 weeks but 30 minutes. I don't even want to. 

On 17/04/2021 at 04:11, I_Termx_I said:

Well it doesn't help that Gaijin has been focusing so much on adding new vehicles and the mechanics to support them. Sure it helps sell and fund the game, but it won't retain player interest beyond the typical new patch hype.

I'm pretty much at the point myself too since being around during the closed beta days. Lately I just can't stomach playing Ground Forces any more. The mode is just the same arena gameplay, the same repetitive experience. I'm hoping for at least a combined battlefield experience like in EC, or at least like in Platentside 2 if you want to go with the combined battle Arcade route. Just something different from the same team deathmatch we've been having for many years.

Naval... sorry. I like ships, but I don't enjoy playing Conquest / Domination capture circles with them. What I enjoy is doing more Naval EC - actual naval campaign scenarios.

What I'm getting at is that WT severely lacks in the department when it comes to the creativity and innovation to take WT to the next level of gameplay and immersion. I'm worried that Gaijin will just play it safe like most game publishers these days do and just stick to what works. Even continue to just find new ways to monetize (*cough* milk) the community down the road. Just like what Wargaming have done to WoWS that pretty much force me to quit playing that game over a year ago. :(

I had some interest on ground battles but it is totally in a mess. First of all I hate arcade style 20min fast games. Maps are too small and hit cams, revenge suicide attacks makes me sick. You shoot someone and he knows where you are because of the hitcam and your all hideous spot is ruined he picks P-47 or whatever gets 3-4 tons bombs and 90* kamikaze on you. yeah fun very fun much fun too fun .

Also the time travellers. I want to ground pound with P-47 a Fiat from past Vietnam era tank with oerlikon shoots you down yeah fun very fun much fun too fun

On 17/04/2021 at 12:06, [email protected] said:

WT is in the worst state it has ever been for me. I'd love to play EC but the game crashes every time I try and mixed battles is becoming so god damn boring.  

On 17/04/2021 at 18:20, DynaVoice said:

I've had a pause for 4-5 years and came back some over 100 days. My main interest lies in aviation, I have tried tanks and ships some, it don't engage me much. The main problem with WT today lies in wonky FM's, most of the planes wont stall like planes should do, I suspect that the input technology are to sensitive (TM Warthog & MFG Crosswind here) to work fluently. The gameplay are still to shallow, so it turns pretty boring over time. My old team-mates are also into a pause so the cooperative flying don't happen. Then there is games with some nice action and dogfights, that is what I search for in WT these days.

GJ has a pretty loyal sim-gamer base who uses a lot of time and (i'm pretty sure) money on the game. It's a pity that GJ focuses on new content all the way and not serving the Sim playerbase more.

There are many things that I want but maybe my expectations are too high and WT is not a game for me. Graphics look cartoon-ish, no G-force effects especially after I played IL2 damn that FM's....

18 hours ago, LostF0X said:

Feel kinda the same, it's all sooo boring, game is pretty dead, i'm playing more enlisted

+1 IL2 here

9 hours ago, Kernow1346 said:

I wouldn’t touch another Gaijin game.  I stay in WT due to the previous investment of time, energy, money, but I’d never try another Gaijin product.

Air EC is still a decent mode and shows signs of moving forward, so I can still enjoy that mode, whether playing for fun + grind or simply for fun.

OTOH, playing other modes for BP/earning event items to sell simply confirms how bereft of ideas Gaijin are when it comes to gameplay.  For naval all they could come up with was “capture the chalk circle.”  The chalk circles in ground battles are pretty nonsensical most of the time, but ‘important’ chalk circles on the sea are a completely different level of nonsense.  Playing these other modes really makes me think, “what the hell is the point of all this?”  

Air EC is worthwhile IMO, and by playing fighters/attackers and even some bombers, of all ranks, for most nations, there’s always something I can fly which I haven’t touched in ages should I get bored of flying whatever my current ‘project’ might be.  For example, I’m flying a lot of FR rank 5/6 right now, but I don’t think I’d flown any FR aircraft through all of 2020, when I was spending a lot of time researching the SW tree from biplanes to Draken.

6 hours ago, Deirdre_Ambre said:

WWII mixed battles used to be fun before they introduced the "new" spawn points system where almost every player uses a SPAA as second or third spawn especially playing Germany or Italy and their deadly SPAAS.

They added heavy bombers doing gunship. 

We can't jump into a tank when the plane is on the runway or we lose the the spawn points. We can't change the payload according to the evolution of the battlefield.

It's the very last game mode where I don't feel useless when I take down an enemy plane or bomb an enemy tank.

Exact my feelings, that 2nd spawn. Everything woud have been better if you had only 1 spawn. No one would kamikaze you, everyone would play carefully, your hideout wouldn't be ruined. Now I pick a plane and the team spawns with 10 SPAA. 

Edited by AdelWolf
medal

On 16/04/2021 at 23:11, AdelWolf said:

how do you feel about WT etc.

Waiting for new EC maps, aircraft & bugs to be fixed I know how you feel, it can sometimes feel like a dirge

I know you have done everything, but these are a few things I do to combat the WT sads or when I feel burnt out

1. If I don't feel like playing I don't push myself to play - take a break for a day or so until I feel the urge to shoot something

2. Find the fun in objectives and roles, be it hitting the battle, hitting convoys, minibases etc

3. Find the joy in different planes and nations, even if their bad, make it a challenge also you might find some surprise you

4. Push yourself out of you comfort tier, often some of the best fighting can be found in the lower tiers away from the spammers and grinders, also with comparative aircraft in terms of similar speed and turn rates can be challenging, especially when there is nowhere to run and you're forced to fight ;),  also on the other side of the coin higher tier jet dogfighting (not tier 6 lol)

5. Flying with friends is always fun, being on coms & shooting the breeze, even if its not purely tactical game talk having the social element in the game is a big reason I'm still a apart of it.

6. Go play something else for a bit, sometimes i find playing other games reminds me of the things I love in WT, like the vast variety of aircraft and nice graphics it has.

• Like 1
medal medal medal medal

13 hours ago, Kernow1346 said:

This game is indecent, full of bugs. On tunisia i've been teamkilled by our own ships when i was ON THE RUNWAY. I was forced to give a kill to a nearby enemy because after repair timer restart and i could not switch plane, always on runway. Achievements and research points lost after the match, gone to nowhere, It's all broken and boring. When my premium account expires I will move away from here. 

Edited by LostF0X
  • Like 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

50 minutes ago, LostF0X said:

This game is indecent, full of bugs. On tunisia i've been teamkilled by our own ships when i was ON THE RUNWAY. I was forced to give a kill to a nearby enemy because after repair timer restart and i could not switch plane, always on runway. Achievements and research points lost after the match, gone to nowhere, It's all broken and boring. When my premium account expires I will move away from here. 

Even the bugs could have been ignored if the game had a proper meta. 

Everything is so mixed so chaotic. 

medal

Stop playing poor me @AdelWolf
!!!

Smooth out your skirt, refresh your makeup and do what you are supposed to do in this game. Kill em all! If blood and tears of your enemies are not longer enough for you, then you are not even worthy of playing this game.

So stop it Sissi and get back out there!

giphy.gif

• Haha 5
medal medal medal

8 hours ago, nazradu2 said:

Stop playing poor me @AdelWolf
!!!

Smooth out your skirt, refresh your makeup and do what you are supposed to do in this game. Kill em all! If blood and tears of your enemies are not longer enough for you, then you are not even worthy of playing this game.

So stop it Sissi and get back out there!

giphy.gif

LOL

Why wasting time on a boring and unbalanced game? 

13 hours ago, AdelWolf said:

Even the bugs could have been ignored if the game had a proper meta. 

Everything is so mixed so chaotic. 

everything has no sense at all. Think I should buy a premium bomber, so i can have a pizza and a bock beer while "flying". Oh wait, no, I won't spend a single cent anymore on this crap game.

Can't imagine how disappointed I am.

arrow.jpg

7 hours ago, LostF0X said:

LOL

Why wasting time on a boring and unbalanced game? 

Why wasting time and energy whining about it?

I have a simple rule that I apply to everything in my life. Love it, change it, or leave it.

If I don't want to play WT I play something else. Mostly DCS. And If that bores or frustrates me to mutch I do something else.

But if you don't enjoy what you are doing while you are doing it and there is no way to change that and no bigger goal to justify that missery, just stop it and do something else instead.

WT is what it is and, except for the minor Impact we have via LGA there is no way to make it something else.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal

3 hours ago, nazradu2 said:

Why wasting time and energy whining about it?

I have a simple rule that I apply to everything in my life. Love it, change it, or leave it.

If I don't want to play WT I play something else. Mostly DCS. And If that bores or frustrates me to mutch I do something else.

But if you don't enjoy what you are doing while you are doing it and there is no way to change that and no bigger goal to justify that missery, just stop it and do something else instead.

WT is what it is and, except for the minor Impact we have via LGA there is no way to make it something else.

And so according to your thought this whole tread is useless, since it's a whine. 

I'm just tired of being mistreated just because i fly sim. We are like a ghetto to them and nobody seems to care, 

43 minutes ago, LostF0X said:

And so according to your thought this whole tread is useless, since it's a whine. 

Did not recap everything, but in case that it would have no constructive elements the answer is yes.
As I said, Love it, change it, or leave it. Sadly people often have no problems with love it, or leave it and skip the change it part as it means work. So what are the options here to get any kind of change to come back to the point where they love the game.
Option 1: Change the game. Now ask yourself, how likely is it to achive it to a degree that satisfies you, so you can love the game? And ask yourself if you are willing to invest the time and energy to make that change happen? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the possible achivements are minor and the investment of time and energy is rather big.

If you decide to do so anyway you must ask yourself what are the tools to make that change in the game happen? There are some, but if we are honest, these kind of threads are none of them. It's ether doing suggestions in the suggestion part of the forum or reaching out to LGA.

And here comes time and effort into play as you have to make up your mind, create a concept, write it down and wait for it's implementation.

The biggest flaw of this kind of change is, that it's outcome is in the hand of other people, lets call em Gaijin.

That brings me to option 2:

Change yourself: Much easier and with a much bigger chance of succes you can change your attitude towards the game, by accepting it as that what it is with all it's flaws and making the best of it. You can also change the way you play it and define your own goals or simply say "I enjoy flying and fighting and I'm happy with it".

To come back to your question. Sometimes we need to speek out our feelings and we need friends or fellowers to see if our reality matches those of other people. But it is worthless if this interaction leads to no action and it's only purpose is to make people tell you that you are mad, sad, angry for a reason or even worse, when you do it to convince people that everything is *****d up and try to make them sing your song.

So you see the answer to your question is no clear yes or no and is highly dependent on the effect of this thread ether for the game or for the people playing it

:004_2:

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal

1 hour ago, LostF0X said:

I'm just tired of being mistreated just because i fly sim. We are like a ghetto to them and nobody seems to care, 

It kinda does seem like a wine thread to me. 

Dude says he's done everything the game has to offer, and he doesn't enjoy any of it anymore. 

He also makes it clear that IL2 offers the kind of experience he wants. 

So I'm not really understanding what's the point of this thread, other than to state that WT is not IL2.

Maybe he wishes WT would adopt some aspects of more hard core SIMs, like navigating with a stopwatch, worse spotting, and an even smaller playerbase. 

I can't knock anyone for liking more detailed and complicated SIMs, wanting the most realistic experience possible. But they exist elsewhere. 

I believe WT SIM generally has more populated games specifically because this is SIM-lite.

The GPS map thing is a massive reason I prefer this game to IL2.

I've tried to make the switch, but I can't stick with it because that game is just complicated (or, realistic, if you like) to a degree that it isn't fun to me. 

And every time I've played, there have been much fewer players in their games. Thanks to realistic navigation, obscure objectives, poor communication from players, few players, and godawful spotting, it has been a frustrating experience every time I've tried to play a real game (as opposed to those arcady, instant action furball lobbies you can join) 

I doubt I'm the only person who keeps paying WT because we like SIM-lite

Edited by bearchills
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

War Thunder has a ton of frustrations and bugs, and feeling like the sim community is Gaijin's xxxxxxx stepchild is no fun, but it's is still a lot of fun and scratches an itch for me the other sims don’t. Reasons:

1. War Thunder's VR performance is exemplary. IL-2 and DCS don't come close. I get a mostly locked 80 FPS on my Rift S with many bells and whistles enabled. In DCS I can get a locked 80 in simple singleplayer, but join a server and that goes to crap. In IL-2 I can’t even manage a locked 80 in singleplayer.
  2. War Thunder is a good looking game. I often find myself stopping and just enjoying the view from the cockpit in VR, especially in sunset conditions with piled clouds. War Thunder is much prettier than IL-2 in VR for me. Partly this is because I can't crank all the settings up in IL-2. Partly it's because IL-2 has a stupid desaturated/high contrast look like everybody thinks WWII should look like. It's dumb. DCS looks as good as War Thunder and even better with the 2.7 update, and has a more realistic style as opposed to WT's slightly cartoony look, but I can’t run it smoothly, so it’s wasted.
  3. War Thunder's spotting system, while unrealistic, is perfect for spending your time flying and fighting instead of squinting at blurry pixels and then getting jumped by some guy who spotted your pixel (perhaps on his Reshaded 2D display tuned for spotting!) 10,000 feet below. In IL-2 in VR I spot someone and lose them if I take my eye off them for a split second. That's not fun. I don't even think it's that realistic. If I get jumped by someone in War Thunder it's my own fault for not keeping up SA, not because I scanned that area of the sky three times and failed to separate the plane pixel from the background pixels.
  4. War Thunder's small maps and minimap are perfect for flying and fighting. The other sims tend to devolve into a (admittedly more realistic) experience of long flights, careful navigation, squinting to spot other aircraft, getting jumped, running away, or, if you're lucky, jumping the other guy and watching them run away. Dogfights are more rare because it's not smart and because if you lose you have to start the whole long process all over again. This is not to say that dogfights, when they happen, aren't fun. They are AMAZING in both IL-2 and DCS. But there's no incentive for engaging in them. In War Thunder, we do have many people who just climb and look for someone busy with someone else, and jump them without risking their own plane (*cough* Shakawkaw *cough*). That's a valid play style, even if I think it's boring. But we also have lots of people like me, who are in it for the knife fight! In IL-2, the only real option is the hit-and-run.

IL-2 and DCS both do have dogfight-only servers, but these are too far on the other side of the spectrum for my taste. Everyone has an air start, and everyone flies to the center and fights and dies and repeats. Air Quake. That’s certainly a lot of action, but it is missing the metagame of spotting, positioning, planning an approach, and prosecuting. I still want those things, I just want them to go faster than they usually do on the bigger IL-2 and DCS servers. War Thunder hits this balance perfectly. I typically have one hour a day to fly. In that time in War Thunder I can have an experience with plenty of fighting and enough tactics and strategy to be rewarding. In the other sims I’d spent most of that time just flying around craning my neck and squinting.

I understand the negativity around War Thunder. I grumble a lot myself. (For heaven’s sake, can’t we consolidate rooms so we have a 2-3 matches of 12-16 a side instead of 12-16 matches of 2-3 a side???) But I enjoy it, and I hope it sticks around for a long time.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, IdahoBookworm said:

War Thunder has a ton of frustrations and bugs, and feeling like the sim community is Gaijin's xxxxxxx stepchild is no fun, but it's is still a lot of fun and scratches an itch for me the other sims don’t. Reasons:

1. War Thunder's VR performance is exemplary. IL-2 and DCS don't come close. I get a mostly locked 80 FPS on my Rift S with many bells and whistles enabled. In DCS I can get a locked 80 in simple singleplayer, but join a server and that goes to crap. In IL-2 I can’t even manage a locked 80 in singleplayer.
  2. War Thunder is a good looking game. I often find myself stopping and just enjoying the view from the cockpit in VR, especially in sunset conditions with piled clouds. War Thunder is much prettier than IL-2 in VR for me. Partly this is because I can't crank all the settings up in IL-2. Partly it's because IL-2 has a stupid desaturated/high contrast look like everybody thinks WWII should look like. It's dumb. DCS looks as good as War Thunder and even better with the 2.7 update, and has a more realistic style as opposed to WT's slightly cartoony look, but I can’t run it smoothly, so it’s wasted.
  3. War Thunder's spotting system, while unrealistic, is perfect for spending your time flying and fighting instead of squinting at blurry pixels and then getting jumped by some guy who spotted your pixel (perhaps on his Reshaded 2D display tuned for spotting!) 10,000 feet below. In IL-2 in VR I spot someone and lose them if I take my eye off them for a split second. That's not fun. I don't even think it's that realistic. If I get jumped by someone in War Thunder it's my own fault for not keeping up SA, not because I scanned that area of the sky three times and failed to separate the plane pixel from the background pixels.
  4. War Thunder's small maps and minimap are perfect for flying and fighting. The other sims tend to devolve into a (admittedly more realistic) experience of long flights, careful navigation, squinting to spot other aircraft, getting jumped, running away, or, if you're lucky, jumping the other guy and watching them run away. Dogfights are more rare because it's not smart and because if you lose you have to start the whole long process all over again. This is not to say that dogfights, when they happen, aren't fun. They are AMAZING in both IL-2 and DCS. But there's no incentive for engaging in them. In War Thunder, we do have many people who just climb and look for someone busy with someone else, and jump them without risking their own plane (*cough* Shakawkaw *cough*). That's a valid play style, even if I think it's boring. But we also have lots of people like me, who are in it for the knife fight! In IL-2, the only real option is the hit-and-run.

IL-2 and DCS both do have dogfight-only servers, but these are too far on the other side of the spectrum for my taste. Everyone has an air start, and everyone flies to the center and fights and dies and repeats. Air Quake. That’s certainly a lot of action, but it is missing the metagame of spotting, positioning, planning an approach, and prosecuting. I still want those things, I just want them to go faster than they usually do on the bigger IL-2 and DCS servers. War Thunder hits this balance perfectly. I typically have one hour a day to fly. In that time in War Thunder I can have an experience with plenty of fighting and enough tactics and strategy to be rewarding. In the other sims I’d spent most of that time just flying around craning my neck and squinting.

I understand the negativity around War Thunder. I grumble a lot myself. (For heaven’s sake, can’t we consolidate rooms so we have a 2-3 matches of 12-16 a side instead of 12-16 matches of 2-3 a side???) But I enjoy it, and I hope it sticks around for a long time.

tenor.gif?itemid=5103872

medal medal medal