Align the player camera's attitude with the attitude of the player's aircraft when flying in joystick mode(In other words, fix the joystick mode crosshair in the center of the screen)

jet_17_49

Should the player camera be slaved to the player's aircraft's nose attitude-wise when joystick controls are used?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Should the player camera be slaved to the player's aircraft's nose attitude-wise when joystick controls are used?

• Yes
    • No

It seems someone made a similar suggestion more than 6 years ago but it got taken down for some reason, so I'm going to make my own and see if it gets accepted this time.

As of now, joystick flight controls simply aren't the most competitive control scheme for fixed wing aircraft. This is partially due to how mouse aim controls effectively reduce flying into a point and click process, eliminating things like aircraft wobbling, unnecessary control inputs and overcorrections, making it an inherently more efficient control scheme than any joystick control scheme. There is another major factor behind this however, being the way the player camera behaves when joystick controls are active.

When in 3rd person view, instead of being coaxial to the player's aircraft's nose, the player camera seems to be aligned with its velocity vector(except when in stalls), or otherwise some other direction which does follow changes in the plane's attitude in turns, but never becomes perfectly parallel to it, and reacts to changes in it with a slight delay. In real cockpit view, a similar nonalignment between the plane and the camera's attitudes also exists, although in this case it seems to be for the purpose of simulating the pilot's head being thrown around in the cockpit due to g-forces. Both give the appearance of the camera not turning at the same rate as the plane, instead lagging behind it as it pitches, rolls or yaws. Anyone who has attempted to fly using joystick controls knows that this is incredibly disorienting, and in also has the effect of making the crosshair for planes with forward facing weapons float all over the screen and sometimes, in 3rd person view, leave the screen entirely during maneuvers. This makes aiming unnecessarily hard and basically puts a handicap on people who fly via joystick.

An existing workaround is to play in virtual cockpit mode, in which the camera's attitude is slaved to that of the plane(as is the case with a certain POV setting in spectator mode), but doing so decreases the player's field of view significantly, which limits situational awareness. This solution is also unavailable for sim mode for obvious reasons.

Here is a poorly executed illustration of the phenomenon I described above:

Cm1.thumb.png.800e3bbf9b0d1a53b9029098ae

Cm2.thumb.png.39f5cb935ab6faca1190fdef58

Cm3.thumb.png.5e678fc6089e0ad9821995c6cc

The obvious solution to this would be to make the player camera coaxial with the direction the plane is pointing when joystick controls are active. This would allow players to play with a joystick in 3rd person and aim at least as competently as one would be able to in virtual cockpit mode while retaining the situational awareness one would have playing in 3rd person, and make joystick mode an ever so slightly more feasible control scheme outside of sim battles. This change if made for real cockpit view would also make life easier for people who play sim games.

This would be a welcome change for players who prefer flying via joystick and being able to have a "feel" of their planes pitching, rolling and turning in flight.

Edited by jetnawk
Sentence coherency
medal medal

• Senior Suggestion Moderator

Open for discussion. :salute:

• jet_17_49 changed the title to Align the player camera's attitude with the attitude of the player's aircraft when flying in joystick mode(In other words, fix the joystick mode crosshair in the center of the screen)
  • 1 year later...

Bump. Yes.

Adding what I wrote in my thread:

When flying in first person view you'll note that the crosshair is fixed in the center of the screen. The fixed crosshair is because the camera is always pointing in the direction of the plane.

The issue

When flying third person, the crosshair is not fixed. The camera is not looking in the direction the plane is heading and is lagging behind the movements of the plane. The crosshair leads the camera. If you do a roll, the plane will roll first, then the camera follows shortly after. If you pull back on the stick, the plane will pitch first, then drag the camera with it. While cinematic, this is very counter-productive for flying the plane effectively with a joystick. A lagging camera in practical terms means the camera is looking the the wrong direction while in a turn fight and means aiming is more difficult.

Is the 3rd person camera behavior for controller even logical?

While I'm asking for static camera here, please also consider the implications of the way the 3rd person joystick camera behaves, because it is counter-intuitive for flight/gameplay:

If you think about it when you are pitching the plane to make a turn or gain altitude, is it intuitive to look down? Is it intuitive to look away from the direction you are turning? This is in practical terms what is happening with a lagging camera. This is illogical.

The intuition is actually to look into the turn if anything. Therefore, if the camera was to move at all, it would make more sense for it to be leading instead of lagging the plane, much like how mouse aim functions. 

The solution

An option for a 3rd person camera that is locked in a position where it is always pointing in the direction of the plane/guns.

What does a static third person camera look like?

Example (1 min): 

Here the camera is always looking in the direction of the plane.

Demonstration of the issue:

Mouse-aim will always be king, but I think this will make joystick a bit more enjoyable.

A tip for anyone else who ends up here

Although it's not easy to tweak and it will arguably mess up 1st person view and be inconsistent across planes, you can modify the camera-pitch control and map it to the same axis as the joystick pitch to cause the camera to actually look the way the plane is turning, applying the logic I wrote about above. Effectively inverting the default behavior. This yields quite good results depending on how much time you spend on it. It really feels very right, so I do think gaijin should maybe play around with this sort of setting.

Edited by integ3r