After finally grinding through the British tree to get one of my goal vehicles I'm left with the question of why the chieftain mk3 is 8.3. The conqueror is better in nearly every way except reload but is 7.7, the t95e1 lacks a stabilizer but does everything better and is 8.0, there is no comparison with the t-62 or t-55m1. They are world's better than the mk3. And other nations like france or Germany get vehicles that, despite lacking stabilizers, are extremely fast and get very powerful apfsds. Even the m60a1 is better... serious question... Can someone tell me what exactly the chieftain does that warrants it being 8.3? It's mobility is worse than centurions, it's armor isn't better than any other 7.3 - 8.3 vehicle, it's gun feels only marginally better than anything else before or around that BR, and most guns will beat you in reload as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
medal medal

4 minutes ago, pakmonkey said:

he conqueror is better in nearly every way except reload but is 7.7

?

Conq has worse armour, mobility, and reload

the Chieftains are OK 8.3s, they're only let down by the inconsistent damage of HESH and APDS like all British tanks around that tier

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

2 hours ago, watch_your_fire said:

?

the Chieftains are OK 8.3s, they're only let down by the inconsistent damage of HESH and APDS like all British tanks around that tier

As long as the Chieftains have that huge and inviting lower plate the Conqueror will always have better armor. If you can hide that plate though it can be a monster. The main problem with the Chieftains is that most game modes are not conducive to playing to their strengths. 

medal medal medal

3 hours ago, pakmonkey said:

After finally grinding through the British tree to get one of my goal vehicles I'm left with the question of why the chieftain mk3 is 8.3. The conqueror is better in nearly every way except reload but is 7.7, the t95e1 lacks a stabilizer but does everything better and is 8.0, there is no comparison with the t-62 or t-55m1. They are world's better than the mk3. And other nations like france or Germany get vehicles that, despite lacking stabilizers, are extremely fast and get very powerful apfsds. Even the m60a1 is better... serious question... Can someone tell me what exactly the chieftain does that warrants it being 8.3? It's mobility is worse than centurions, it's armor isn't better than any other 7.3 - 8.3 vehicle, it's gun feels only marginally better than anything else before or around that BR, and most guns will beat you in reload as well.

In arcade they are 8.7! You are always going up against 9.7 mbts, makes the whole thing pointless

medal medal

Its literally on par with every other 8.3, and stronger even with its good armor that has sharp angles and is immune to conventional rounds. It cant go down in br, it would just sh*t on 7.0 heavy tanks and medium tanks. Blame gaijins br system lol 

Edited by BushMonster1999
medal medal medal medal

It's worse in AB, where the Chieftains are 8.7 (and the Mk.10 is 9.0, so you can't really put it in any lineup), I gave up on playing them basically. EVERYTHING at their BR (let alone above) simply outclasses you in every way. Your mobility is mediocre, but that's a given - I can live with that if there are other advantages. Thing is, I don't see them. Most tanks seem capable of going through your turret, or if not, you'll just be playing Breech and Barrel Repair Simulator, which isn't fun in the slightest. To add onto that, you're nearly always getting put up against 9.7's, which if 8.7's totally outclass you, that's another thing entirely. You don't stand a chance. Furthermore, the ammo is subpar, you only get APDS and HESH, the latter is useless, and the former is extremely temperamental. Just move them down to 8.3 in AB honestly, move the whole 8.7 lineup down. I don't care what player stats say. 

Hell, I just checked the stats of the other vehicles at 8.7, and every one that I can see not only gets APFSDS, but it's all APFSDS with better stats than the Chieftain's APDS, and that's ignoring the fact that one round is vastly superior to the other in terms of damage. Tanks at 8.3 even get better APFSDS than the Chieftain's APDS. Why the hell are these things at 8.7?

Edited by CyberNapoleon
  • Upvote 4
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

7 hours ago, CyberNapoleon said:

It's worse in AB, where the Chieftains are 8.7 (and the Mk.10 is 9.0, so you can't really put it in any lineup), I gave up on playing them basically. EVERYTHING at their BR (let alone above) simply outclasses you in every way. Your mobility is mediocre, but that's a given - I can live with that if there are other advantages. Thing is, I don't see them. Most tanks seem capable of going through your turret, or if not, you'll just be playing Breech and Barrel Repair Simulator, which isn't fun in the slightest. To add onto that, you're nearly always getting put up against 9.7's, which if 8.7's totally outclass you, that's another thing entirely. You don't stand a chance. Furthermore, the ammo is subpar, you only get APDS and HESH, the latter is useless, and the former is extremely temperamental. Just move them down to 8.3 in AB honestly, move the whole 8.7 lineup down. I don't care what player stats say. 

Hell, I just checked the stats of the other vehicles at 8.7, and every one that I can see not only gets APFSDS, but it's all APFSDS with better stats than the Chieftain's APDS, and that's ignoring the fact that one round is vastly superior to the other in terms of damage. Tanks at 8.3 even get better APFSDS than the Chieftain's APDS. Why the hell are these things at 8.7?

Yeah, the Chieftain is the reason I've stopped grinding tanks. I have no interest in getting the Challies because I just can't face the Chieftain grind.

medal medal

57 minutes ago, Fallenkezef said:

Yeah, the Chieftain is the reason I've stopped grinding tanks. I have no interest in getting the Challies because I just can't face the Chieftain grind.

Especially since I've heard that the Challies may not even be worth it in themselves. Another day playing British tanks...

1 hour ago, CyberNapoleon said:

Especially since I've heard that the Challies may not even be worth it in themselves. Another day playing British tanks...

Aye, 5.3 and below British are awesome. 

As soon as you hit the precious German tigger brs, their constant whines have nerfed the Brits to hell

• Upvote 4
medal medal

17 minutes ago, Fallenkezef said:

Aye, 5.3 and below British are awesome. 

As soon as you hit the precious German tigger brs, their constant whines have nerfed the Brits to hell

Yep, like what happened to the British 6.7 lineup. Okay, maybe moving to 7.0 was justified (but I would prefer to just fix the volumetric shells that caused it), but to 7.3? Sorry, that's too much. Now they'll probably be moved to 7.7, still with astronomical repair costs. 

On 27/02/2021 at 13:34, watch_your_fire said:

You're kidding right? The conqueror has front turret armor enough to stop many 8.3 apds with just raw thickness. Not to mention it's almost 200mm front plate. Mobility is better than the Chieftian even if the top speed is less on the stat card.

Spoiler

800m+ vulnerability against t-55a and t-62 considering all ammunition types except heat-fs

image.thumb.png.2702e2ad6f0aa9ff4bb6b056 image.thumb.png.834fa546d527b1b3ee05f043

9 hours ago, CyberNapoleon said:

Yep, like what happened to the British 6.7 lineup. Okay, maybe moving to 7.0 was justified (but I would prefer to just fix the volumetric shells that caused it), but to 7.3? Sorry, that's too much. Now they'll probably be moved to 7.7, still with astronomical repair costs. 

They still perform well. Honestly they would be fine at 7.3 if only their repair costs were lowered to reasonable levels.

Edited by pakmonkey
  • Upvote 1
medal medal

You said it, it has a stabilizer. That alone is worth 0.3-0.6 as it means you can go fully turret down behind a hill, driver forwards take a very quick shot and retreat while the other tank is rocking on its suspension. Most tanks below 8.0 don't have stabilizers or especially high pen rounds so the Chieftain in the right situation is really strong, and reducing its BR to 7.7 would put it against Tiger 2s, M46s etc which it would club so hard. Plus it's got 3rd gen APDS rather than the 2nd gen one of the Conqueror so it's better at defeating angled armour.

The problem is as soon as its up-tiered all it's thick armour is meaningless and there are literally 76mm guns that get APFSDS which is about as good as the APDS of the Chieftain, let alone 105mm and 120mm APFSDS rounds which can lol-pen the Chieftain anywhere, and it's too slow to make up for that. Most tanks in game that rely on heavy armour suffer from some form of compression, which gets perticularly bad around 8.0.

medal

I never said for it to go to 7.7. I'd prefer it to go to 8.0. I just don't see why it would be particularly game breaking for the chieftain mk 3 to go to 8.0, seeing as how there are already things like the type 69 at 8.0, cent mk 3 at 7.3, or conqueror 7.7. All those have very high pen guns, stabilizers, and extremely thick armor in downtier.

The problem is that the chieftain can't rely on its armor at any BR in its current range. It's pretty good against APHE/AP but no one but a few French an Russian vehicles use conventional shells at 7.3. It's not great against APDS and HEAT. 105 APDS will penetrate all the same places the t-62/t-55 will 400-500m and HEAT with more than 300mm penetration just auto pens. It will also be a opportunity for another lineup since chieftain marksman and warrior are 8.0

medal medal

25 minutes ago, pakmonkey said:

I never said for it to go to 7.7. I'd prefer it to go to 8.0. I just don't see why it would be particularly game breaking for the chieftain mk 3 to go to 8.0, seeing as how there are already things like the type 69 at 8.0, cent mk 3 at 7.3, or conqueror 7.7. All those have very high pen guns, stabilizers, and extremely thick armor in downtier.

The problem is that the chieftain can't rely on its armor at any BR in its current range. It's pretty good against APHE/AP but no one but a few French an Russian vehicles use conventional shells at 7.3. It's not great against APDS and HEAT. 105 APDS will penetrate all the same places the t-62/t-55 will 400-500m and HEAT with more than 300mm penetration just auto pens. It will also be a opportunity for another lineup since chieftain marksman and warrior are 8.0

Yeah, the WHOLE point of the chieftain was it's armour. The soviets deployed all their T64's against the BAOR for that reason, Cheiftain was designed to take a beating while throwing 120mm hell down range.

It's the problem with all heavy tanks in WT. Idiots whine and whine and whine that they can't pen a tank from the front so it's br gets raised till the idiots can. I can't think of a heavy tank in this game that hasn't has this treatment, makes the whole concept of a heavy rather pointless.

Chieftain was the last iteration of the heavy concept, MBT in theory but in practice a heavy hull down evolution of the Conq.

• Upvote 1
medal medal

Genuinely I quite enjoy the Chieftains, the Mk5 is obviously better as its a better engine, but both are quite fun, yeah the armour isn't as reliable, but the gun performs well with angled armour and it shrugs of conventional ammo quite well...

I am taking a guess that you don't run full line ups? Some maps just are not that good for the Chief so you need to take out the Warrior or Rooikat, mix it up and keep things fresh.

Things are about to get better with the Oliphant at 8.3, essentially a non premium Sho't...

Also the British 9.7 is one of the best line ups for UK, 3 strong MBTs with thermals (soon to be 4 With the TTD) plus now the Oliphant 2 & Rooikat MTTD as support, with the Buccaneer or Harrier for CAS... Don't give up just yet!

medal medal

On 28/02/2021 at 03:29, pakmonkey said:

patrly agree with ya dude. seems 8.3 is not correct for Chieftains and I do hope Chieftain Mk10 to 8.7 .

have u imagined what would happen if Chieftain Mk3/5 go to 8.0 or lower ?

7.0 tanks against Chieftain ? no way . 

it's not Chieftain's problem , we should get 11.0 and even 12.0 br now . that's what WT need now  

yeah I know it funny that T55A shares same br as T55am1 . 

so we need 11.0 and that's prepared for Leo2A6 & Strv122 & T90M(maybe) & M1A2ESP

according to 11.0 vehicles , T72B(2016)& T90A & Challenger 2(F) etc. to 10.7

chieftainMk3/5 fit 8.3 as they should be .

repair cost ofChieftain Mk3/5 over 10k but we still suffer cause always up tierd to 9.3 . German Rpk90 is deadly to all British vehicles and Germans got excellent AA--Gepard.

what we should do is to help(force) gaijin developers to make a plan for 11.0br instead of complaint .

medal medal

The mk5 is fine where it is. It's not the best but by no means is it bad at 8.3. It's increased mobility over the mk3 makes it worthy of its BR. I think the mk3 chieftain is slow and under armored enough to be 8.0 without too much issue. And it's 120mm wont do anything that the 105mm l7 wont do. The extra angled penetration is a nice plus but it's hardly ever useful. 

On 04/03/2021 at 12:00, Muzlie said:

Genuinely I quite enjoy the Chieftains, the Mk5 is obviously better as its a better engine, but both are quite fun, yeah the armour isn't as reliable, but the gun performs well with angled armour and it shrugs of conventional ammo quite well...

I am taking a guess that you don't run full line ups? Some maps just are not that good for the Chief so you need to take out the Warrior or Rooikat, mix it up and keep things fresh.

Things are about to get better with the Oliphant at 8.3, essentially a non premium Sho't...

Also the British 9.7 is one of the best line ups for UK, 3 strong MBTs with thermals (soon to be 4 With the TTD) plus now the Oliphant 2 & Rooikat MTTD as support, with the Buccaneer or Harrier for CAS... Don't give up just yet!

Mmm yes! I cannot wait for the IXWA update to give me some nice new vehicles. The Oliphant will be a great addition and so will the ratels. Hopefully they aren't ruined by high repair costs like the rest of the 7.0+ British tree.

Also, I do run full lineups. My 8.3 is chief mk3/5, charioteer, warrior, and vickers. I swapped the rooikat mk1d out for the charioteer since the rooikat is hot garbage

medal medal

On 04/03/2021 at 13:00, Muzlie said:

It definitely seems so, I'll probably replace the Chieftain Mk 3 with the Olifant Mk1A, and maybe pick up the Rooikat 105 and throw in the MTTD. South Africa has given some much needed life to the British tree in my opinion, hopefully we can get the Olifant Mk1B at 8.7 or something as well.

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

• 2 weeks later...

i was super excited about the new South African vehicles, especially the Olifants... To my disappointment, the Olifant mk1a is hot garbage. An absolute dumpster fire. Spicy trash. I despise that machine

medal medal