Sony Playstation VR 2 Announced

So when VR was new I fixated on it as something that would allow me to fly flight sims and look around and track targets without TrackIR, which I could never master because the lack of 1-to-1 motion was too off-putting to me. I had tried “realistic” mode in War Thunder since it allowed you to padlock targets, but I was trying to play with a joystick and everyone else was flying mouse-controlled Halo Banshees, so it wasn’t really fun. I tried sim, but without good head-tracking it was hopeless. VR would solve all that, I thought.

Problem was, there was no way I'd be able to afford a beefy PC and headset. Fortunately, Gaijin announced support for the upcoming “Project Morpheus,” which would become the PSVR. There are even a few seconds of footage of it running out there, on Youtube. Fortuitously, around this time I was given a $500 Amazon gift card for allowing myself to be bumped off an overbooked flight overnight. I used that as seed money for a PS4 and PSVR. Then . . . War Thunder never materialized. Gaijin never said they canceled it, and occasionally still said they were working on it, but . . . five years later, nothing has materialized.

Fortunately, my work issued me a new MacBook Pro with a beefy CPU, and my wife was very understanding about my selling the PS4 and PSVR and getting a Rift, a GTX 1060, and an external eGPU to hook up to the mac. War Thunder in sim mode was everything I’d hoped. Over time I built a new PC around the 1060, got a Rift S, and was given a 2080S for helping my brother build his PC.  But every so often I check to see if Gaijin has updated their plans for PSVR, just our of morbid curiosity. Nothing. Still nothing.

However! Turns out Sony has announced that they are working on a PSVR 2 for the PS5, with many improvements bringing it up to current VR standards. Perhaps Gaijin will support this? Perhaps? It would be a (relatively) low cost of entry for VR flight sim-ing, and might bring more people into SB battles!

2 minutes ago, IdahoBookworm said:

It would be a (relatively) low cost of entry for VR flight sim-ing, and might bring more people into SB battles!

When they finally brought WT to Xbob, I remember people asking if their account/profile would transfer over so they could play on consoles. And I remember the answer being no. And I think that applied to Playstation as well, but that was a long time ago and I can't be sure I remember correctly.
If that is indeed the case, and my PC profile wouldn't be transferable to PS5, then it would actually be much more expensive (time is money) for me to reach the amount of spaded planes I currently have at my disposal..

medal medal

1 minute ago, bearchills said:

If that is indeed the case, and my PC profile wouldn't be transferable to PS5, then it would actually be much more expensive (time is money) for me to reach the amount of spaded planes I currently have at my disposal..

On the other hand, a lot of people who currently have Playstation accounts wouldn't have to start over in order to play in VR. And if they are like me, then having VR will enable them to try sim . . .

43 minutes ago, IdahoBookworm said:

However! Turns out Sony has announced that they are working on a PSVR 2 for the PS5, with many improvements bringing it up to current VR standards. Perhaps Gaijin will support this? Perhaps? It would be a (relatively) low cost of entry for VR flight sim-ing, and might bring more people into SB battles!

This is great news! Unfortunately getting your hands on a PS5 these days is the bigger issue. Id love to give it a try though. Maybe one day. 

medal medal

1 hour ago, IdahoBookworm said:

On the other hand, a lot of people who currently have Playstation accounts wouldn't have to start over in order to play in VR. And if they are like me, then having VR will enable them to try sim . . .

Very true

medal medal

On 23/02/2021 at 22:47, IdahoBookworm said:

very understanding about my selling the PS4 and PSVR and getting a Rift, a GTX 1060, and an external eGPU to hook up to the mac.

........Traitor..........

How dare you turn down a wobbly 30fps and (only for me I hope) bugs that make EC mode literally unplayable? You scoundrel you were supposed to destroy the PC nerds not join them!! 

;) :D

I'd buy a Ps5 and PSVR2 tomorrow if they could get it running properly.. unfortunately with Gaijin's track record for optimising the game for consoles however I think I'll wait for others to try it first.