My review after a month in Air EC

After the last changes in air RB with the time limit of 25min i gave up on air rb because it got too close to arcarde.

So i startet playing EC in sim. I was happy that VR is supported and so i used it. Its a massive game changer and beautiful to play with some exeptions.

First zooming in vr is terrible because the gunsight gets too close to the eyes. Second its really **** to play gunner in a bomber. There im lucky if i can find my mouse aim.

At least i tried some ground pounding and realised that the targets get only visible on 600m or below without zoom.

I tried games in rank 3,4 and 5 on different nations.

After the first week i got more and more confident in this mode. After a while i realized that some planes are absolutely not balanced. Especially the me 264 bomber and the bf110g2.

The bomber should really be a rank 5 plane and the 110 should be forced to use the gunner sight.

As last point i will come to the income. The research points are great but the income on silver lions is a joke. When i shoot down someone it often happens that he leave the game. I really guess

that people do this because of the respawn costs. For ground pounding i also get low rewards especially ships have a low income. oh and i forgot, hispanos 20mm are useless at this mode.

All in all its a beautiful game mod witch seems to be forgotten by the developer. I searched for the problems i got and they are here for years and never got fixed.

• Upvote 2
medal medal medal medal medal

Can’t comment on your VR experiences, but everything else sounds very familiar.  As you say:

8 minutes ago, C23202 said:

...the problems i got...  are here for years and never got fixed.

Welcome to sim.

Edited by Kernow1346
  • Upvote 1
medal

1 hour ago, C23202 said:

After a while i realized that some planes are absolutely not balanced. Especially the me 264 bomber and the bf110g2.

The bomber should really be a rank 5 plane and the 110 should be forced to use the gunner sight.

If 264 was changed in any way, the whole structure of the GER EC3/4 would collapse, which would result in even fewer players on the GER side, effectively destroying mid/late WW2 EC games, not only for the GER, but for everyone else too.

Edited by C0lander
  • Confused 7
medal

1 hour ago, C23202 said:

Especially the me 264 bomber and the bf110g2.

Me 264 should be rank 5? Are you serious lol? Not only that plane isn't fast (neither slow) but it always spawn at the end of the map on either sides because it cannot spawn initially on the airfield.

1 hour ago, C23202 said:

The research points are great but the income on silver lions is a joke.

I have to agree on this, the amount of SLs that you earn in a 3 hours match can be as little as what you earned in a 10 mins RB match of similar BRs.

1 hour ago, C23202 said:

hispanos 20mm are useless at this mode.

Hispanos are rubbish just about everywhere, in AB, RB and Sim. You fire 50-100 rounds to get an enemy plane leaking oil while cannons shells from US/Germany/Russian use no more than 20 shells to blow your entire wing off.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
medal medal medal medal medal medal

4 hours ago, C0lander said:

If 264 was changed in any way, the whole structure of the GER EC3/4 would collapse, which would result in even fewer players on the GER side, effectively destroying mid/late WW2 EC games, not only for the GER, but for everyone else too.

3 hours ago, Exophobia said:

Me 264 should be rank 5? Are you serious lol? Not only that plane isn't fast (neither slow) but it always spawn at the end of the map on either sides because it cannot spawn initially on the airfield.

264 is probably the reason why people hate playing EC3/4 where this nonsence bomber ruins everyone fun also no other nation have anything even close it. Pretty much faster, superior defense gunners and bombload is nothing to be shy for this battle rating.. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TheKomrade said:

264 is probably the reason why people hate playing EC3/4 where this nonsence bomber

Yep, total nonce bomber.

• Upvote 1
medal

7 hours ago, Exophobia said:

Me 264 should be rank 5? Are you serious lol?

yVleIGP.jpg

cffu7yM.gif

7 hours ago, Exophobia said:

Not only that plane isn't fast (neither slow) but it always spawn at the end of the map on either sides because it cannot spawn initially on the airfield

It doesn't have to be fast, it spawns in perfect altitude with no effort with perfect visibility and guns. If one wants to destroy 264s they have to quit the objectives and only concentrate on that. Many 264s get ignored because its just not worth the hassle. Speaking historically, 264 had a poor climb rate and maneuverability which is not the case in WT SB, these things are diving at fighter speeds meanwhile blazing turrets like an action star quote from wt wiki "Despite being a heavy bomber, the Me 264 is quite responsive and manoeuvrable" wikipedia quote "The relatively high wing loading caused poor climb performance, loss of manoeuvrability, stability and high take-off and landing speeds" Lets just say it was so shoite that even Germany didn't want any of it. Of course if a bomber has poor performance Gaijin buffs it, if a fighter has a good performance they cripple it.

BUT if the bomber game play in SB wasn't so arcade I don't think anyone would complain about bombers in general.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
medal medal medal

9 hours ago, Exophobia said:

US/Germany/Russian use no more than 20 shells to blow your entire wing off.

Sadly RU planes need to RTB to rear after shooting 20 shells XD

1 hour ago, Juva96 said:

Put the 264 on 7.7, just like the Tu-4. Easy, simple and even with arcade gameplay on sim, will face a real threat.

I would say 6.3 is enough. Almost no zomber will grind 450 SP and wait 30 mins for it to respawn, but putting it against jets I think is too overkill

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TheKomrade said:

264 is probably the reason why people hate playing EC3/4 where this nonsence bomber ruins everyone fun also no other nation have anything even close it. Pretty much faster, superior defense gunners and bombload is nothing to be shy for this battle rating.. 

All of this is true, but the GER TT is so overtiered and under FMed for years that you can gather a handful of dedicated GER players at best and the rest is AB/RB trash grinding in 264s.

Get 264 right (FM and BR) and AB/RB trash is gone and you're left with what? Nothing. GJ isn't gonna allow that, which is why they don't "fix" 264.

Edited by C0lander
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
medal

2 hours ago, Juva96 said:

Put the 264 on 7.7, just like the Tu-4.

In what ways is it an equivalent to Tu-4? None, not in armament, payload, speed, etc.

:crazy:

Is it better than He 117 A-5? Not really, same reasons as above.

The max I could see it will probably be around 5.3-5.7, but that's it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Exophobia said:

In what ways is it an equivalent to Tu-4? None, not in armament, payload, speed, etc.

:crazy:

Well, both have the same problems, high payload and good defense gunnery, and if you don't recognize sarcasm, that's not my problem.

And yes, I know that 7.7 is overkill, even the might Tu-4 is garbage in sim due to it's performace and size.

1 hour ago, C23202 said:

When people use the 264 as gunship in rank 3 games to farm kills then something is wrong with this bomber. This plane is fast, has a high bomb load and a really deadly armament and it climbs really fast.

A good sim br whould be 6.7 to 7.0.

Nah, superprops are enought to take it down, 6.3 should be enough, keep in mind that this also implies 450 SP and 30 min timer

• Upvote 1

264 is the whipping post today, it seems.

177 and 288 is better, and those are 6.0 and 5.7 respectively.

264 is missing its RATO, so it can take off from ground, avoid some of the gripes everyone has.

oPb07xg.jpg

11 hours ago, AngelPiret said:

You can't use them in EC3 and they cost SP and have timers in EC4, they might be better, but the 264 is the problem

264 isn't the problem, 264 is a symptom.

The problem is most of the GER TT, BRwise, FMwise, loadoutwise, etc...which led to lack of dedicated players.

Take away 264 and GER will get 10% WR, if that much, and it's gonna collapse the entire EC3-4 game structure.

• Confused 1
medal

10 hours ago, C0lander said:

264 isn't the problem, 264 is a symptom.

The problem is most of the GER TT, BRwise, FMwise, loadoutwise, etc...which led to lack of dedicated players.

Take away 264 and GER will get 10% WR, if that much, and it's gonna collapse the entire EC3-4 game structure.

264 and overall bomber implementation (from mouse aimed BS gunners to much higher rewards than fighters) is a problem

264 being bomber carrying lot of bombs and having one of the most deadly turrets (MG151) is just one of the most obvious case.
and it's not GE tree that have BR problems - it's US one that have them too low. Rather than compressing GE tree to fit with US we should decompress US one. Same results technically but further BR compression will leave no room for any tweaks in future

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, C0lander said:

I really don't see the Problem here, at least not in EC3.

Germany has one of the strongest EC3 Lineups even without the 264.

• Upvote 1
medal

3 minutes ago, TaumelScheibe said:

Germany has one of the strongest EC3 Lineups even without the 264.

except when you meet a player who can fly US fighters well.

If you only find newbies who turnfight in P-47 - sure, GE lineup will be great but if you meet player who thinks in P-51C or P-47D28 or P-38L or an F6F orF4U - you're done.
Well flown, those planes are untouchable to anything below 4.7 BR in GE tree

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/02/2021 at 04:00, C23202 said:

First zooming in vr is terrible because the gunsight gets too close to the eyes.

That's the wrong zoom. There's a separate zoom control in the options somewhere. Might be called VR Zoom or something similar; I forget. Look for it. It will allow to zoom without being locked to the gun sight. It's not a huge zoom, but it definitely helps.