Tank nations are disapointing?

Have been playing this game regularly for a few months now but I can't seem to progress much in tank trees....

I just keep getting disapointed, maybe it's not the right word but I feel like I haven't really found a nation that I enjoy.

I started with Italy which I did enjoy for the most part but I don't anymore. Got tired of no armor tanks. Then i tried Germany and that is one big NOPE! Get that horrendous shoebox tank design out of my face!! Then I tried USSR, I got bored at the begining. Tried the UK and I finally actually found tanks I enjoyed. I loved all their tier one vehicles, the matilda, valentines, churchills...all majestic beasts of steel....

They got fast accurate guns, and DELICIOUS armor, gods, it's so good to see everyone bounce on you and you just killing them one after another.

So what's the problem? I'm about to get their other vehicles and they have no armor, I'm already feeling it with the Archer and soon the Cromwell. There seems to be no nation that can satisfy me. I want armor and accurate guns. I wanna sit at distance and laugh my **** off as all enemy shells bounce. That's what I enjoy, and I want a nation that offers me this the most.

Is there anything at all? Otherwise, I guess It's time to try Naval warfare or just keep going with planes only.

5 minutes ago, Pherion85559 said:

I want armor and accurate guns. I wanna sit at distance and laugh my **** off as all enemy shells bounce. That's what I enjoy, and I want a nation that offers me this the most.

Best bet is going for Germany around 5.3 to 6.7 then. That is pretty much how they are meant to be played, but you also have the added advantage of idiots playing at that BR so the tanks are all massively OP

• Upvote 1
medal

23 minutes ago, IllegalLettuce said:

Best bet is going for Germany around 5.3 to 6.7 then. That is pretty much how they are meant to be played, but you also have the added advantage of idiots playing at that BR so the tanks are all massively OP

Are you sure? I really didn't liked German tanks at all. x.x

24 minutes ago, Pherion85559 said:

Are you sure? I really didn't liked German tanks at all. x.x

The low tier ones are kinda mediocre. They need a bit of skill to use properly, but are manageable. When you get the Panther things get way, way better. It may seem easy to go for the Tiger, but the Panther is better in absolutely every way. Better armour and a better gun. It’s the best sniper honestly, just never go close other wise your turret rotation speed will kill you XD. The TD line is very good with the Jagdpanthers as well. 

• Upvote 1
medal

1 hour ago, Pherion85559 said:

Have been playing this game regularly for a few months now but I can't seem to progress much in tank trees....

I just keep getting disapointed, maybe it's not the right word but I feel like I haven't really found a nation that I enjoy.

I started with Italy which I did enjoy for the most part but I don't anymore. Got tired of no armor tanks. Then i tried Germany and that is one big NOPE! Get that horrendous shoebox tank design out of my face!! Then I tried USSR, I got bored at the begining. Tried the UK and I finally actually found tanks I enjoyed. I loved all their tier one vehicles, the matilda, valentines, churchills...all majestic beasts of steel....

They got fast accurate guns, and DELICIOUS armor, gods, it's so good to see everyone bounce on you and you just killing them one after another.

So what's the problem? I'm about to get their other vehicles and they have no armor, I'm already feeling it with the Archer and soon the Cromwell. There seems to be no nation that can satisfy me. I want armor and accurate guns. I wanna sit at distance and laugh my **** off as all enemy shells bounce. That's what I enjoy, and I want a nation that offers me this the most.

Is there anything at all? Otherwise, I guess It's time to try Naval warfare or just keep going with planes only.

if you decide to play other nation, just make sure don't be USA

You've got a lot of emphasis on the lust for armor.  Perhaps consider giving Russia a shot again.  The earliest tiers won't be anything special in terms of that, but once you get to the T-34's and KV-1's, you're probably going to get what you want.  However, I want to drive in an important point for you, and that's overreliance on armor.  Sure, the KV-1's can take a lot of punishment for their tiers, but that doesn't mean you should play all willy nilly knowing that your enemies will have a hard time around you.  Sooner or later, a shell will get through.  No tank here is invincible.

2 hours ago, Pherion85559 said:

I wanna sit at distance and laugh my **** off as all enemy shells bounce.

Oh boy, oh boy.  Alright, here are a few vehicles.  Again, vehicles.  No nation has this sort of gameplay consistently throughout their tech trees.

• T95: USA 7.0
  • Jagdpanzer 38(t): German 4.7
  • Ferdinand: German 6.3
  • ISU-152: Russian 4.7
  • Tortoise: British 6.7

I don't know what you mean by gun accuracy.  This is War Thunder, where we can hit the tiniest targets.  Can you reiterate what you mean?

12 hours ago, False_Swiss said:

You've got a lot of emphasis on the lust for armor.  Perhaps consider giving Russia a shot again.  The earliest tiers won't be anything special in terms of that, but once you get to the T-34's and KV-1's, you're probably going to get what you want.  However, I want to drive in an important point for you, and that's overreliance on armor.  Sure, the KV-1's can take a lot of punishment for their tiers, but that doesn't mean you should play all willy nilly knowing that your enemies will have a hard time around you.  Sooner or later, a shell will get through.  No tank here is invincible.

Oh boy, oh boy.  Alright, here are a few vehicles.  Again, vehicles.  No nation has this sort of gameplay consistently throughout their tech trees.

• T95: USA 7.0
  • Jagdpanzer 38(t): German 4.7
  • Ferdinand: German 6.3
  • ISU-152: Russian 4.7
  • Tortoise: British 6.7

I don't know what you mean by gun accuracy.  This is War Thunder, where we can hit the tiniest targets.  Can you reiterate what you mean?

I had a battle with 17 kills just with the matilda. And the only reason I got that, was because germans couldn't pen me and I could pen them like butter. Armor is pretty good in my book! And that's exactly the sort of gameplay I want more of.

What I meant with accuracy was high projectile velocity guns(I think that's what you call them). Very easy to aim over large distances because they barelly drop.

You found those nations disappointing just because they don't fit your playstyle, but it's always nice to give it more try to find the nation you actually enjoy.

If you need more armor and a precise gun with high velocity, you may try B1 ter in France Starter Pack. Its armor is no less than Matilda with a nice gun, and Soviet KV series are powerful too.

If you want more Matilda, check out the Battle Pass. There's a Premium Matilda Hedgehog as Battle Pass reward, identical with the one on researchable tree but equipped with depth charge launchers.

Hope you have fun with those THICC vehicles! :salute:

• Upvote 1
medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

1 hour ago, Monika_in_action said:

You found those nations disappointing just because they don't fit your playstyle, but it's always nice to give it more try to find the nation you actually enjoy.

If you need more armor and a precise gun with high velocity, you may try B1 ter in France Starter Pack. Its armor is no less than Matilda with a nice gun, and Soviet KV series are powerful too.

If you want more Matilda, check out the Battle Pass. There's a Premium Matilda Hedgehog as Battle Pass reward, identical with the one on researchable tree but equipped with depth charge launchers.

Hope you have fun with those THICC vehicles! :salute:

Hmm....yes now that you mentioned it. The french have some very well armoured vehicles as well and I'm interested in their autoloaders as well. Might start using them....

On 22/01/2021 at 16:47, Pherion85559 said:

I want armor and accurate guns. I wanna sit at distance and laugh my **** off as all enemy shells bounce.

If this is what you are after then don't progress any further in any tech tree, you will surely be disappointed. Sorry to burst your bubble.

BR 1.0-4.0, or early WWII tank is where armor does matter. 5.0-7.0, APDS and 17 pounder starts showing up, rendering heavy armor (few ones left at this BR) unable to fully protect you any longer. 7.0-9.0, early APFSDS and HEATFS renders armor a liability and no armor become best armor. End game is not that much different, while some can have invincible turret cheeks, your hull and gun breech are still massive weak spots. Additionally at higher BR, CAS will be your biggest enemy, slow, heavily armored tanks are target practice.

Generally, as BR gets higher, mobility becomes more meta, since it is much easier to counter armor than to counter mobility.

• Upvote 1
medal

26 minutes ago, DavidDeFrog said:

If this is what you are after then don't progress any further in any tech tree, you will surely be disappointed. Sorry to burst your bubble.

BR 1.0-4.0, or early WWII tank is where armor does matter. 5.0-7.0, APDS and 17 pounder starts showing up, rendering heavy armor (few ones left at this BR) unable to fully protect you any longer. 7.0-9.0, early APFSDS and HEATFS renders armor a liability and no armor become best armor. End game is not that much different, while some can have invincible turret cheeks, your hull and gun breech are still massive weak spots. Additionally at higher BR, CAS will be your biggest enemy, slow, heavily armored tanks are target practice.

Generally, as BR gets higher, mobility becomes more meta, since it is much easier to counter armor than to counter mobility.

On 23/01/2021 at 15:26, Pherion85559 said:

Hmm....yes now that you mentioned it. The french have some very well armoured vehicles as well and I'm interested in their autoloaders as well. Might start using them....

What David said. from 5.0 onwards you gonna get destroyed by APDS,HEAT-FS and atgm's. Germany was getting fuc*ed by this especially. Itally is mostly dishing out the pain in their fast, HEAT-FS yeeting pizza cars and the Britts were ripping a new one to every slow armored tank with their stabilized lolpen APDS....Which caused them to get moved up...

So yeah armor stops being a thing after...really 5.0.. The PT-76 just one shots Panthers and Tigers through the UFP. It might get better bellow 6.0 after the br changes in January, but br's are always changing,

Armor meta has been long dead above 5.0.

Edited by Jacky95
  • Confused 3

On 23/01/2021 at 06:26, Pherion85559 said:

The french have some very well armoured vehicles as well and I'm interested in their autoloaders as well. Might start using them....

On 23/01/2021 at 04:25, Pherion85559 said:

Armor is pretty good in my book! And that's exactly the sort of gameplay I want more of.

What I meant with accuracy was high projectile velocity guns(I think that's what you call them). Very easy to aim over large distances because they barelly drop.

Oh yeah. You'll like France.

Low tier French tanks have high-velocity(but small)guns & insanely thick armor. The H.39, R.35(SA.38), & AMC.34YR are what you're looking for. H.35 has the armor but not the gun, you'll have to get close. FCM.36 has armor & mobility but the same terrible howitzer as the H.35. From there, you'll want to move on to the S.35 medium tank, Char D2 & B1 heavy tanks, and the ARL-series heavy tanks. After one of the ARL heavy tanks is the AMX-50 Foch tank destroyer: decent armor, good speed, great guns.

Huh, didn't knew people were still replying here. But yeah, I think tank warfare isn't fun. I enjoy the armored behemoths in the early BR but I'm not sure about the rest. Don't really like the idea of not being able  to take a few shots. Other people aim faster, shoot faster and are always somehow with the upper hand. Armor allowed me to compensate for this since even though they shoot first, it does not matter.

Might try out the navy for the Battleships or just move over to AB.

19 minutes ago, Pherion85559 said:

Huh, didn't knew people were still replying here. But yeah, I think tank warfare isn't fun. I enjoy the armored behemoths in the early BR but I'm not sure about the rest. Don't really like the idea of not being able  to take a few shots. Other people aim faster, shoot faster and are always somehow with the upper hand. Armor allowed me to compensate for this since even though they shoot first, it does not matter.

Might try out the navy for the Battleships or just move over to AB.

Now you've got the idea.  The idea is that there's always going to be a bigger fish.  Some tanks will overpower other tanks, but no tank will overpower all in all situations.  To me, that's humbling and entertaining enough.  I have little desire for a heavy tank that is not vulnerable to any certain opponents.

8 minutes ago, False_Swiss said:

Now you've got the idea.  The idea is that there's always going to be a bigger fish.  Some tanks will overpower other tanks, but no tank will overpower all in all situations.  To me, that's humbling and entertaining enough.  I have little desire for a heavy tank that is not vulnerable to any certain opponents.

I don't mind being vulnerable. I don't mind having cons in my vehicle or having to backup because there is something scary up ahead. I just want a chance to fight back instead of being slaughtered.

37 minutes ago, Pherion85559 said:

I don't mind being vulnerable. I don't mind having cons in my vehicle or having to backup because there is something scary up ahead. I just want a chance to fight back instead of being slaughtered.

I don't understand your point, then.  A hefty numbers of vehicles are perfectly capable of taking a shot and fighting back.  Maybe not all the time as some will simply be one-shot or hit in such a way that it can't fight back, but that's the idea of a chance to fight back.  Relying on that chance won't get you far.

2 minutes ago, False_Swiss said:

I don't understand your point, then.  A hefty numbers of vehicles are perfectly capable of taking a shot and fighting back.  Maybe not all the time as some will simply be one-shot or hit in such a way that it can't fight back, but that's the idea of a chance to fight back.  Relying on that chance won't get you far.

That's the only thing I can rely on. Teammates are useless and who knows what I'm going to meet head on. I must always push, must always lead, must always flank. If I don't do it all perfectly then the team always seems to lose. A chance to bounce is all I can rely upon when I'm multitasking my team.

1 hour ago, Pherion85559 said:

That's the only thing I can rely on. Teammates are useless and who knows what I'm going to meet head on. I must always push, must always lead, must always flank. If I don't do it all perfectly then the team always seems to lose. A chance to bounce is all I can rely upon when I'm multitasking my team.

To me, that's an unhealthy perception of the team that's just all too common in War Thunder (and gaming in general, to be honest).  You can't rely on your team, that's true, but you also shouldn't have zero trust in them.  We've all seen those games where a team with the best player in the match is up there on the scoreboard with 7 kills and not a single death only for that team to lose.  Even the best can only do so much alone, so there's no point in giving up on your team and trying to do it all yourself.  Remember that a good deal of those "useless teammates" are thinking the exact same thing you are.

On 23/01/2021 at 08:26, Pherion85559 said:

France is not for the faint of heart, or wallet.  (in the repair sense)

On 23/01/2021 at 06:25, Pherion85559 said:

I had a battle with 17 kills just with the matilda. And the only reason I got that, was because germans couldn't pen me and I could pen them like butter. Armor is pretty good in my book! And that's exactly the sort of gameplay I want more of.

The Matilda is great fun.  

medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal medal

10 hours ago, False_Swiss said:

To me, that's an unhealthy perception of the team that's just all too common in War Thunder (and gaming in general, to be honest).  You can't rely on your team, that's true, but you also shouldn't have zero trust in them.  We've all seen those games where a team with the best player in the match is up there on the scoreboard with 7 kills and not a single death only for that team to lose.  Even the best can only do so much alone, so there's no point in giving up on your team and trying to do it all yourself.  Remember that a good deal of those "useless teammates" are thinking the exact same thing you are.

Too bad then. All I know is if I don't do it all, I will lose. So I must do it all. Regardless if it's healthy or not. It is my experience with team based online gaming.

• Confused 1